PDA

View Full Version : Which of These Teams Will Regret Its Winter Signing More?

asindc
04-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Twins with Joe Mauer

Tigers with Justin Verlander

Giants with Tim Lincecum

Mariners with Felix Hernandez

Saw this on another site and thought it was interesting. I can't really make a choice between these options. This is not to assume that any of these teams will actually eventually regret the signing, but one of the teams will be "least happy."

ewokpelts
04-01-2010, 10:21 AM
giants

spawn
04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Hmm...that IS a tough one. I'm going to say the Giants as well.

johnnyg83
04-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd stick with one of the pitchers. They all throw hard so there'll be heavy stress on their arms; who's deal is the longest?

Verlander.

Dibbs
04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
I can't even vote. Why would you regret signing any of those studs? Maybe the question should be "who will be the least happy with their signing". I doubt there are any regrets.

russ99
04-01-2010, 10:39 AM
The other three have foreseeable financial resources to handle the contracts. but he Twins are basing their pipe-dream on expected revenue from Target Field, which after 2-3 years will cease to be a novelty.

The day may come where they have to move Morneau to keep Mauer.

BadBobbyJenks
04-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Why would anyone regret these?

jabrch
04-01-2010, 11:41 AM
The one who has the first major injury.

asindc
04-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Why would anyone regret these?

Lincecum: SF might regret not signing him to longer term deal.

Mauer: Lower back problems might force Minny to DH/1B him, significantly deflating his value.

Hernandez: Long term (for a pitcher) deal with a lot of stress in his motion.

Verlander: Long term (for a pitcher) deal with a lot of stress in his motion.

Like I said in the original post, this is not meant to be taken as a prediction that any of these teams will regret the signing. One team is bound to be "least happy," however, with the signing when it is all said and done.

Here are the deals, BTW:

Joe Mauer/Twins: 8/$184MM
Justin Verlander/Tigers: 5/$80MM
Tim Lincecum/Giants: 2/$23MM
Felix Hernandez/Mariners: 5/$78MM

october23sp
04-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm going with Tigers/Verlander. His arm is just bound to pop any one of these days.

Scottiehaswheels
04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
I went with King Felix... Just under the impression that by the end of his contract he'll be a close imitation of Bartolo.

downstairs
04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm going to go with The Twins and Joe Mauer. You never know what's going to happen in 8 years, and they've spent a significant amount of their budget for nearly an entire decade.

If he gets hurt, or doesn't live up to expectations- they're royally screwed.

WhiteSox5187
04-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Wow, that's a good question, but hasn't King Felix spent sometime on the DL before? So I'd say him. But really, I don't think any of these teams are going to be kicking themselves over these deals.

thedudeabides
04-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I'd like to add one to the list and say Matt Holliday. I understand the signing, but I just thought it was too many dollars for too many years. Come next year they could have 60-70% of their budget tied up in four players.

Boondock Saint
04-01-2010, 03:59 PM
If I had to choose, I'd say Mauer because of his prior injury history, or Lincecum because that delivery can't be good for an arm.

soxfan26
04-01-2010, 06:04 PM
giants

+1

Sam Spade
04-01-2010, 06:31 PM
I could see verlander regressing to his 2008 numbers and staying around there soon, so that's who I went with. They are all pretty decent deals however.

PalehosePlanet
04-02-2010, 01:19 AM
+1

Are you guys joking? He's arguably the best pitcher in baseball right now and is signed to a very team friendly 2/23 deal.

This is a great deal for The Giants; he would have cost them more had he decided to go year to year.

Boondock Saint
04-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Are you guys joking? He's arguably the best pitcher in baseball right now and is signed to a very team friendly 2/23 deal.

This is a great deal for The Giants; he would have cost them more had he decided to go year to year.

I'm guessing their point is that if he continues to pitch like he has the last two years, they're going to have to either give him a monster deal, or let him walk. With the other guys on the list, they could win the next three MVP/Cy Young awards, and their teams won't have to worry about losing them.

PalehosePlanet
04-02-2010, 01:52 AM
I'm guessing their point is that if he continues to pitch like he has the last two years, they're going to have to either give him a monster deal, or let him walk. With the other guys on the list, they could win the next three MVP/Cy Young awards, and their teams won't have to worry about losing them.

So the regret would be having not signed him long term? If that's what was meant, it makes sense.

I thought I was missing something. Thanks for clarifying.

Boondock Saint
04-02-2010, 02:24 AM
So the regret would be having not signed him long term? If that's what was meant, it makes sense.

I thought I was missing something. Thanks for clarifying.

I could be wrong, I'm just guessing.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-02-2010, 02:38 AM
I could be wrong, I'm just guessing.

But probably not.

Say he wins the next two Cy Youngs (not likely, but for the sake of example) and prices himself out of the Giant's budget.

He would realistically command nearly $25-30M a season if he keeps pitching like he does and decides to test free agency. So, basically, he'd be a Yankee.

FloridaTigers
04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I know you guys dislike him and the Tigers but really? You're choosing the guy who doesn't really have an injury history? Sure, injury is always possible, but he's gone four full seasons with no major injury. In his rookie season in August/September, he was shut down a bit to preserve his arm due to a bit of fatigue, but that's it. Verlander is a workhorse pitcher, the kind of guy who can give you 200 IP every season. 2006, 2007, and 2009 were good pitching seasons and you're all expecting him to regress to the anomalous year, 2008? Makes no sense.