PDA

View Full Version : SI prerankings

konerko 14
03-31-2010, 03:15 PM
They rank the Sox third in the Central, can you believe this garbage, behind the Tigers and twinkies. :rolleyes:

munchman33
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
They rank the Sox third in the Central, can you believe this garbage, behind the Tigers and twinkies. :rolleyes:

Yes. Yes I can believe that. I've got us about even with the Tigers (probably a few games better) and about ten behind the Twins.

DirtySox
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Finishing 3rd isn't out of the question. I personally think this is a 2nd place team, but there is a decent likelihood they perform worse. I wouldn't be surprised at any finish 1 through 3.

soltrain21
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
I hope they'll finish first, but think they'll finish second.

goon
03-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Sounds pretty possible to me.

Milkman43
03-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Good, let them. Although the Twins rotation is pretty solid 1-5 and their lineup is tough with Mauer, Morneau and Cuddyer 3,4,5, they lose an integral asset which was the Metrodome. There's nothing worse than going to that building during a tight race in September. If Scherzer pitches the way he showed he's capable of in Arizona, than the Tigers could make a run. Although they wanted to create room for Scott Sizemore at 2B, Polanco was one of their most clutch hitters...especially against the Sox. Also, there's no way Cleveland will be as bad as they were last year. Carmona is showing signs of his 2007 season and the other Sizemore is finally healthy again, which is always scary. Shin-Soo Choo though might very well be their best hitter. And for the Royals, I just hope that Chriz Getz doesn't eat the Sox lunch this year.

asindc
03-31-2010, 03:55 PM
The only quibble I have with the story is that he said the Twinkees would likely have the best defense as well. I really don't think so. Their OF leaves a lot to be desired, and that is before Kubel is moved into LF to replace Young. I don't think Hudson is that good anymore, either. They will mash, no doubt, so a prediction of 1st for them is entirely reasonable to me.

As for us finishing behind Detroit, I just don't see it. Their lineup, rotation, and defense are all worse than ours.

Nellie_Fox
03-31-2010, 03:56 PM
I think any combination of Sox, Twins, and Tigers in 1-2-3 is entirely possible. So, box the trifecta.

kittle42
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
I think any combination of Sox, Twins, and Tigers in 1-2-3 is entirely possible. So, box the trifecta.

That's a winner!

kravdog
03-31-2010, 04:32 PM

perfect. they had us in 3rd in 2005 as well...

sox1970
03-31-2010, 04:34 PM

I agree. It's a three team race. I think it's all about health. The team that stays away from the DL the most will win.

Corlose 15
03-31-2010, 04:45 PM
The Twins rotation isn't all that impressive IMO.

goon
03-31-2010, 05:01 PM
The Twins rotation isn't all that impressive IMO.

Outside of Scott Baker, the Twins rotation is awful. In fact, their staff is just bad, though they should have a solid offense.

They are going to need it.

JB98
03-31-2010, 05:05 PM
The top three in the AL Central are pretty interchangeable, IMO.

If I were forced to make a prediction, I'd probably have the Sox third, too. :dunno:

sox1970
03-31-2010, 05:06 PM
The Twins rotation isn't great, but I would not call Baker, Blackburn, Pavano, Slowey, Liriano a bad rotation. We'll see how they do in Target Field, but they are far from bad.

soltrain21
03-31-2010, 05:10 PM

What does that have to do with this year?

Dibbs
03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
I would say second or third is accurate. We have some big holes in the lineup. Freddy will get bombed as the fifth starter too. We need a lot of chips to fall our way if we are going to win the division.

Chicago5oooh
03-31-2010, 05:47 PM

It speaks to the credibility of the source.

mzh
03-31-2010, 05:47 PM
I would say second or third is accurate. We have some big holes in the lineup. Freddy will get bombed as the fifth starter too. We need a lot of chips to fall our way if we are going to win the division.
Even if Freddy does get bombed, Hudson will be there. Garcia/Hudson would probably be the 3/4 starter for the Twinkies. There's absolutely no guarantee that Cuddyer and Kubel will repeat 09 and Hardy and Young will bounce back, and we don't know what the new ballpark will do. And third behind Detroit? Do I really have to make position-position comparatives there?

goon
03-31-2010, 05:53 PM
The Twins rotation isn't great, but I would not call Baker, Blackburn, Pavano, Slowey, Liriano a bad rotation. We'll see how they do in Target Field, but they are far from bad.

I disagree. Pavano and Slowey are bad. Blackburn is okay as 4th, a good innings eater, but his splits, especially in 2007, were really REALLY terrible away from the metrodome. Last year his WHIP was 1.36, his BAA was .292, he's okay, at best.

Obviously, it's tough to tell what's going to happen with Liriano, he's killing everyone in Spring Training, but it's Spring Training... You have to wonder how far they are going to push him this season... how many innings is he going to pitch? If the Twins have trouble with closing out games, will he take on that role? I know there was talk of that when Nathan went down, but the Twins need him in the rotation.

Tragg
03-31-2010, 05:56 PM
The Twins are the most logical choice. But I think the Sox COULD be great (lockdown pitching plus huge years from Beckham, Quentin, Pierre, Rios and Missle) and so could the Tigers (their top 3 starters could all be #1 quality). I don't see the Twins as having that upside this year.

Hitmen77
03-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Sounds pretty possible to me.

Agreed. 3rd place is not certain....2nd place is probably most likely....but people here shouldn't be getting bent out of shape at SI for picking us 3rd. I know spring training records don't matter. But this team hasn't looked very impressive in the spring. I can see a season ahead of us where we score few runs and/or our pitchers can't hold small leads.

CLR01
03-31-2010, 06:38 PM

der......2005!!!!!!! Don't stop believing!!!!!!!!!

areilly
03-31-2010, 06:48 PM

And to repeat as World Series champions (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tom_verducci/03/28/preseason.predictions/1.html) in 2006. The best way to approach sports media predictions is to ignore them entirely.

RCWHITESOX
03-31-2010, 07:43 PM
I agree. It's a three team race. I think it's all about health. The team that stays away from the DL the most will win.

I agree. I do however see the Sox winning the division however because they have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball.