PDA

View Full Version : Who has to be the team MVP this year?

konerko 14
03-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Just heard the guys on 670 discussing this, who do you think has to be the team MVP this year for the Sox to go some where? I think either Paulie or Rios has to have a great year for the Sox to succeed.

PaleHoser
03-30-2010, 07:39 PM
TCQ

I think the pitching will be there and the defense will be much improved. If we get the 2008 version of TCQ, we'll all be in line for post-season ticket packages.

SephClone89
03-30-2010, 08:35 PM
This is a tough question. We don't need Quentin or Rios or Jones to be the "team MVP" in order for them to contribute greatly(?) to team success this season. We just need solid production from all those guys. If we get solid career average years from those guys and Beckham has a .320-25-90 season, then I don't see the problem there.

I hope that made sense.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Andruw Jones.

Well, maybe not MVP, but he is going to be an X-factor this season, bank on it.

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2010, 09:31 PM
The middle relief corps.

An argument can be made that Politte and Cotts were the MVPs of the 2005 Sox.

If two among Pena, Linebrink and Williams have excellent seasons, the Sox will win the division.

OTOH if they suck, they will cough up leads, forcing Ozzie to overwork Thornton and Putz to stop the bleeding, and thus Jenks will have fewer save opportunities.

SoxNation05
03-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Q, easily.

Corlose 15
03-30-2010, 09:43 PM
The middle relief corps.

An argument can be made that Politte and Cotts were the MVPs of the 2005 Sox.

If two among Pena, Linebrink and Williams have excellent seasons, the Sox will win the division.

OTOH if they suck, they will cough up leads, forcing Ozzie to overwork Thornton and Putz to stop the bleeding, and thus Jenks will have fewer save opportunities.

Would Politte and Cotts have been considered middle relievers that season though? Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson being lights out that year was a big reason why the Sox were so successful in one run games that year. Thinking back though, if I remember correctly, Vizcaino was solid but unspectacular, Marte had his struggles to the point were he was pretty useless down the stretch. Takatsu struggled and was released so Bobby could come up and eventually take over for Hermanson.

What I mean to say is that the role that Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson filled in 2005 would be performed by Jenks, Thornton, and Putz. What the Sox need from middle relief is just reliablity. They can't have the patented Linebrink meltdown to the point where middle relief is a liablity. Vizcaino and Marte were both unremarkable in 2005 but both their ERAs were in the high 3s. I think the Sox need something similar from Pena, Linebrink, Williams this year.

KMcMahon817
03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Q, easily.

Carlos.

If he rakes, the Sox will win ALOT of games.

NDSox12
03-30-2010, 10:02 PM
The question doesn't make any sense to me. If it was "who has to have a great year", then I could understand it. But nobody in particular "has to" be the team MVP for the team to do well. Somebody is going to be the team MVP no matter how good or bad the team is.

SephClone89
03-30-2010, 10:03 PM
The question doesn't make any sense to me. If it was "who has to have a great year", then I could understand it. But nobody in particular "has to" be the team MVP for the team to do well. Somebody is going to be the team MVP no matter how good or bad the team is.

This is kind of what I meant by my post.

guillen4life13
03-30-2010, 10:17 PM
This is a tough question. We don't need Quentin or Rios or Jones to be the "team MVP" in order for them to contribute greatly(?) to team success this season. We just need solid production from all those guys. If we get solid career average years from those guys and Beckham has a .320-25-90 season, then I don't see the problem there.

I hope that made sense.

That's a very lofty estimate, at least in the batting average department.

I'm hoping for a .295/.370/.490/.865 with 23 HR, 100 RBI from Gordon, and I don't think this is out of the realm of possibility considering last season he hit .270/.347/.460/.808 with 14 HR and 63 RBI in only 430 plate appearances. If you take last season and eliminate his 2/28 slump to start the season, Bacon would have hit .285 and his OBP would have gone up accordingly.

Eventually, I think Ozzie is going to see that Bacon will be best utilized in a run producing slot.

Opening Day Lineup:

LF Juan Pierre
2B Gordon Beckham
RF Carlos Quentin
1B Paul Konerko
C A.J. Pierzynski
CF Alex Rios
DH Mark Kotsay
SS Alexei Ramirez
3B Mark Teahen

Playoff Lineup (projected, after everyone settles in and shows what kind of year they're having):

LF Juan Pierre
CF Alex Rios
2B Gordon Beckham
RF Carlos Quentin
1B Paul Konerko
C A.J. Pierzynski
DH Andruw Jones
3B Mark Teahen
SS Alexei Ramirez

For the record, I do think that the Sox are going to make a deal for a LH bat sometime during the season, whether or not things are going well.

And all of that said, I agree with almost everyone else. Carlos Quentin needs to have a strong season, or else the Sox are going to have a rough ride.

WhiteSox5187
03-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Quentin has got to stay healthy and put up 2008 numbers. But, along with that, Paulie has to stay healthy and hit about .280 with 20 HRs and 80 RBIs, Rios has to at the least return to the mean of his career, Pena and Linebrink can't suck, Jones and Kotsay have to stay healthy and hit about their career norms...there are a lot of things that need to happen actually.

SephClone89
03-30-2010, 10:35 PM
That's a very lofty estimate, at least in the batting average department.

I know. It was a hyperbole for the sake of argument--me pointing out that one doesn't need to be the team MVP in order to be the piece that takes the team to the next level.

mzh
03-30-2010, 10:39 PM
So many things have to fall into place, but I have to go with Quentin, because right now the great majority of our run production lies with him bouncing back and being a force in the lineup.

twinslayer
03-30-2010, 10:39 PM
TCQ. Without question, he will be our power source this year

stevemcstud
03-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Quentin has got to stay healthy and put up 2008 numbers. But, along with that, Paulie has to stay healthy and hit about .280 with 20 HRs and 80 RBIs, Rios has to at the least return to the mean of his career, Pena and Linebrink can't suck, Jones and Kotsay have to stay healthy and hit about their career norms...there are a lot of things that need to happen actually.

I think Paulie putting up 20 HR and 80 RBI is an understatement. He was literally 2 solo HRs away from putting up another 30 HR/90RBI season. You can easily say that with the subtraction of Thome and the sub par performance of Dye and Rios could take the protection away to gain those 2 HR.

Im betting on a .270/31HR/93RBI season from Paul.

russ99
03-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Would Politte and Cotts have been considered middle relievers that season though? Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson being lights out that year was a big reason why the Sox were so successful in one run games that year. Thinking back though, if I remember correctly, Vizcaino was solid but unspectacular, Marte had his struggles to the point were he was pretty useless down the stretch. Takatsu struggled and was released so Bobby could come up and eventually take over for Hermanson.

What I mean to say is that the role that Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson filled in 2005 would be performed by Jenks, Thornton, and Putz. What the Sox need from middle relief is just reliablity. They can't have the patented Linebrink meltdown to the point where middle relief is a liablity. Vizcaino and Marte were both unremarkable in 2005 but both their ERAs were in the high 3s. I think the Sox need something similar from Pena, Linebrink, Williams this year.

Agreed, but the bigger issue is Jenks staying healthy. When he's healthy and productive, the rest of the bullpen has a chance to be dominant.

If Bobby gets hurt, everyone else has to move up and get out of their role/comfort zone.

balke
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
Peavy/TCQ first half - Adrian Gonzalez 2nd half

raven1
03-31-2010, 09:38 AM
The offense has to come from somewhere - it doesn't matter specifically who but the Sox will need career seasons from at least 2 or maybe 3 of the following in order to compete: Quentin, Rios, Jones, Konerko

jabrch
03-31-2010, 09:59 AM
No single player HAS TO be the MVP for this team to contend. They have lots of options of where it can come from.

Sargeant79
03-31-2010, 10:24 AM
I agree with those who are saying TCQ needs to be the guy. He needs to have a season much closer to 2008's than last year's. With this lineup, they are counting on him to be the single biggest power threat in the batting order. If he has a mediocre season, they are missing that one home run bat that every playoff-caliber offense needs.

The 2005 lineup had a similar problem (even though it obviously worked out well. They only had "that one guy" for the short time that Frank Thomas was healthy. Even though there were others that had excellent years, they spent most of the year not having that one guy that opposing pitchers really dreaded facing.