PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day to be a Blackout game. Wear black

Sockinchisox
03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/03/williams_calls_for_opening_day.html

soltrain21
03-30-2010, 04:41 PM
I think that's pretty lame.

twsoxfan5
03-30-2010, 04:45 PM
I think that's pretty cool.

Boondock Saint
03-30-2010, 04:46 PM
They should probably save that for night games.

BadBobbyJenks
03-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah it does not have the same effect during the day.

Cat Thief
03-30-2010, 04:48 PM
I think that's pretty cool.

Agreed

DumpJerry
03-30-2010, 04:49 PM
How do you know? We've never done it.

Frontman
03-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Kenny is trying to rally the fans to really get into the season. No more than that.

I for one find it a great idea. I do agree however; it won't have the effect that it does at night.

Like Batman's costume; the power to intimidate is lessened during the daylight hours!

october23sp
03-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Lame...

It was great at the 'Black out Game' which is why that game is special. Don't try to force that kind of special.

sox1970
03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
lame...

It was great at the 'black out game' which is why that game is special. Don't try to force that kind of special.

+1

DaveFeelsRight
03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
its always fun to point out the people in the crowd who didn't get the memo.

sox1970
03-30-2010, 05:03 PM
its always fun to point out the people in the crowd who didn't get the memo.

If I was going, I might wear a white jersey just to protest its lameness.

BadBobbyJenks
03-30-2010, 05:04 PM

Because I was there at night and it wont have the same effect.

soltrain21
03-30-2010, 05:04 PM

Yes we have. Game 4 of the ALDS vs the Rays.

twinslayer
03-30-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm not doing it. I just bought my white Beckham jersey!

jabrch
03-30-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm not doing it. I just bought my white Beckham jersey!

I bought my Beckham jersey in black!

oeo
03-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Kenny is trying to rally the fans to really get into the season. No more than that.

I doubt Kenny has anything to do with this.

As for it "not looking cool" during the day, sure it does. I was at Game 3 of the 2008 ALDS and it looked pretty sweet in daylight, too. I think Garza said it was the most intimidating crowd he's ever seen.

Protesting by wearing white? Come on, now that is ****ing lame.

jabrch
03-30-2010, 06:22 PM

As for it "not looking cool" during the day, sure it does. I was at Game 3 of the 2008 ALDS and it looked pretty sweet in daylight, too. I think Garza said it was the most intimidating crowd he's ever seen.

I'm sure KW approved it when Brooks proposed it - but I doubt he was the push for it. I give Brooks the benefit of the doubt on these - he knows what he's doing.

And since nobody has said it yet - Email Brooks!

oeo
03-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm sure KW approved it when Brooks proposed it - but I doubt he was the push for it. I give Brooks the benefit of the doubt on these - he knows what he's doing.

And since nobody has said it yet - Email Brooks!

Why would KW have to approve it? That's not his responsibility, I'm sure he doesn't care.

konerko 14
03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
That will probably be pretty cool

whtsox13
03-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Kenny has asked all fans for a Blackout.
http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/03/williams_calls_for_opening_day.html

DeuceUnit
03-30-2010, 07:59 PM
I think that could be a good way to set the tone/intensity level for the season. I'm in!

SOXfnNlansing
03-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I, for one, will be totally garbed up in black! I always do what I'm told (hehe).

jmeneghini1433
03-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Is there going to be rally towels? I have two from the tiebreaker just in case.

oeo
03-30-2010, 08:28 PM

Well, I eat my words since Kenny is the one who wants this to happen. I guess I should have read the blog. :redface:

SephClone89
03-30-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118883

hi im skot
03-30-2010, 08:36 PM

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/043/917/original/hatersgonnapanda.jpg?1269196691

Brian26
03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
M&M Guy is ****ed.

ChiSoxGirl
03-30-2010, 08:54 PM
I think it's a great idea! I ordered a new Sox track jacket the other night that's slated to arrived at my door on Friday or Saturday, and I'm looking forward to wearing it to the Blackout 2010.

ewokpelts
03-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Yes we have. Game 4 of the ALDS vs the Rays.
and game 3. that was a 3:05 start

canOcorn
03-30-2010, 09:29 PM

They should probably save that for night games.

Lame...

It was great at the 'Black out Game' which is why that game is special. Don't try to force that kind of special.

+1

You guys get it. Quite lame on opening day. :thumbsup:

GoGoCrede
03-30-2010, 11:42 PM
My jacket is brown, so no dice. I'll wear a black Sox shirt, though. Might be warm enough to take off my jacket.

harwar
03-31-2010, 07:12 AM
The night blackout game was such an amazing and innovative idea that caught the attention of people from around the country .. i was proud to be a part of it .. i really think it should be saved for playoff (or play-in) games though ..

Frontman
03-31-2010, 08:02 AM
You guys get it. Quite lame on opening day. :thumbsup:

You (and the rest) are the one's who don't get it. Its something simple and can be fun. Instead; complaint central.

It's just baseball, folks.

anewman35
03-31-2010, 08:09 AM
People (as people tend to do) are making way too big a deal of this. Will it be an amazing once-in-a-lifetime type thing like the one-game playoff was? Of course not. But it still is opening day, so it's a special game. Do people forget that we did blackouts for the (not especially exciting) playoff games against Tampa, and that didn't in any way diminish the first black out? Basically, it's a way for the Sox to try to make the game a little more special and fire people up without actually spending any money. I can't see the problem with that.

asindc
03-31-2010, 08:23 AM
The night blackout game was such an amazing and innovative idea that caught the attention of people from around the country .. i was proud to be a part of it .. i really think it should be saved for playoff (or play-in) games though ..

I agree with this. So many non-Sox fans who watched the game told me how cool they thought that was. For me, it is a special-occasion thing and Opening Day is not special occasion enough, IMO.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-31-2010, 08:40 AM
At least we are a year separated from the last one. Who cares actually? I think it's cool that we as a fan base (mostly) are actually excited to go into a season when we are normally in doubt of all the rookies or bad players we come out with. It's as intense as the season in going to get until the Cubs/Sox games and eventually the playoffs, might at well get the season started with a bang. I don't LIKE that we are doing this, but I think it's ok... as long as we never do it again unless we are playing for/in the playoffs.

I'll be in black!

twsoxfan5
03-31-2010, 08:53 AM
I personally just think that it is cool to have a uniform color that most of the fans wear to the games. I like how most Cardinal fans wear red to the games so I think it is cool when most of us wear black. It kind of poses a united front, like us against them. If you don't want to do it don't, but I am guessing that they will do it on opening day and then not again until the playoffs so I think 1 game out of 81 still keeps it pretty special.

JohnnyInnsbrook
03-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Count me in as someone who will be wearing all black.

ohthosechisox
03-31-2010, 09:16 AM
I'll be wearing black too. :smile:

october23sp
03-31-2010, 10:04 AM
As lame as I think it is, I would definitely wear black if I was going.

jabrch
03-31-2010, 10:11 AM
I personally just think that it is cool to have a uniform color that most of the fans wear to the games. I like how most Cardinal fans wear red to the games so I think it is cool when most of us wear black. It kind of poses a united front, like us against them. If you don't want to do it don't, but I am guessing that they will do it on opening day and then not again until the playoffs so I think 1 game out of 81 still keeps it pretty special.

I agree - it's pretty cool. I wouldn't mind it more than just 1 time per year.

SephClone89
03-31-2010, 11:03 AM
It's not a terrible idea, but I think reserving it for a playoff atmosphere is the best move.

mantis1212
03-31-2010, 11:35 AM
To compare it to the tiebreaker game is unfair, because it will never be as cool as that day was- neither the blackout nor the tiebreaker were done before.

I think Opening Day is cool for a blackout as well as the playoffs- I'm pretty sure that's where the line will be drawn. I can't imagine a blackout game being requested during the summer.

soxfan21
03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
I too will be wearing black on Monday.

WhiteSoxFTW
03-31-2010, 12:54 PM
I was planning on wearing my black Beckham "jersey" shirt anyway, so this works out.

BadBobbyJenks
03-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Dont get me wrong I will be wearing my black Beckham to almost every game, but I think it should be reserved for do or die type atmospheres.

downstairs
03-31-2010, 02:11 PM
Overdoing it. I like the idea of the blackout game for critical games. And night games only.

GlassSox
03-31-2010, 10:16 PM
My wife and I will be wearing black just like we did for the Blackout Game. :D: Go Sox!

Frankfan4life
04-01-2010, 12:59 AM
I also think that blackouts should be saved for pivotal games, but I feel that anytime the Sox organization calls on the fans to show some unity and team spirit, it should be met with a willingness to comply. It demonstrates to our team and other fans and teams that Sox fans care enough about their team to rise to the occasion.

Anyway, the forecast is calling for cool and wet weather on opening day so I would suggest planning on wearing a black jacket over your attire.

tick53
04-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Does this mean and I suppose it does that the players are wearing black? With Burls pitching it probably does. Keep the blackout games for special situations. I'm not going and if I was I would wear black to show unity but I won't be there.

Milkman43
04-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Although I liked the Original Blackout game, it's a bit much to expect the majority of fans to wear black. If the Sox really want to have this sort of effect, they should just place a black towel on everyone's seat. It's easy, cheap and no one would complain. I really don't care about these kinds of things though, I'm just bored at work.

Rohan
04-02-2010, 12:54 AM
I think you're all missing the point of this... Remember this year's marketing slogan. White Sox Baseball: It's Black and White

That's all...

oeo
04-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Although I liked the Original Blackout game, it's a bit much to expect the majority of fans to wear black. If the Sox really want to have this sort of effect, they should just place a black towel on everyone's seat. It's easy, cheap and no one would complain. I really don't care about these kinds of things though, I'm just bored at work.

The majority of people would probably wear black, regardless, especially in an early season day game because it will keep you a bit warmer.

Quentin08
04-03-2010, 10:28 PM
It's awesome that it's on national tv.

Does anyone know if ESPN2 will be showing something different for Chicagoland viewers.. or will we be able to watch the game on ESPN2 if we want?

whitesoxwin
04-04-2010, 11:33 AM
OK..."Blackout" was a game Sox Fans will remember always.
Bad use of a very cool time in White Sox history…in my opinion...kind of LAME.
Anyway...Let's Go Sox!!

WhiteSox1989
04-04-2010, 11:47 AM
I'll be wearing camo. To blend in.

doublem23
04-04-2010, 11:51 AM
It's awesome that it's on national tv.

Does anyone know if ESPN2 will be showing something different for Chicagoland viewers.. or will we be able to watch the game on ESPN2 if we want?

It'll probably be a simulcast of ESPNEWS or something.

SephClone89
04-04-2010, 11:51 AM
http://www.twitvid.com/AWYMF

:rolleyes: Sox wearing the black jerseys tomorrow. Cue the complaints.

doublem23
04-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Anybody who complains about Opening Day sucks.

hi im skot
04-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Anybody who complains about Opening Day sucks.

:thumbsup:

GoGoCrede
04-05-2010, 05:57 PM
A ton of people apparently did not get the memo to wear black, so the blackout was a bust. Although they probably made a wise choice - I was roasting in my black AJ shirt.

Dibbs
04-05-2010, 08:15 PM
A ton of people apparently did not get the memo to wear black, so the blackout was a bust. Although they probably made a wise choice - I was roasting in my black AJ shirt.

I wish I knew it was going to be a big bust too. I like to wear my Buerhle homw white when he pitches.

Brian26
04-05-2010, 08:28 PM

I'd say less than 50% of the people had black on. Probably much less.

GoGoCrede
04-05-2010, 08:30 PM

And that was probably by accident, not because they knew about the blackout.

I'm glad I decided not to wear my black pants too. :o:

Rdy2PlayBall
04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Eh, I didn't really have much else to wear besides black anyway. I didn't want to wear my Alexei jersey opening day because usually it gets a bit crazy (especially in the 500 level), and I didn't want to ruin a signed jersey. I don't know what to do with my Dye jersey guys... should I take the Dye stitching off and keep the numbers? Does it look right? Because if it does I might just make it a blank jersey.

GoGoCrede
04-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Eh, I didn't really have much else to wear besides black anyway. I didn't want to wear my Alexei jersey opening day because usually it gets a bit crazy (especially in the 500 level), and I didn't want to ruin a signed jersey. I don't know what to do with my Dye jersey guys... should I take the Dye stitching off and keep the numbers? Does it look right? Because if it does I might just make it a blank jersey.

Why on earth would you take Dye's name and number off? He was our MVP. Hell, I still see people with Mackowiak jerseys, so I don't see why keeping Dye's would be a problem.

Frankfan4life
04-05-2010, 09:39 PM
A ton of people apparently did not get the memo to wear black, so the blackout was a bust. Although they probably made a wise choice - I was roasting in my black AJ shirt.I'd like to think that most people didn't get the memo rather than consciously choosing not to wear black.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I wore black to work.

GlassSox
04-05-2010, 09:58 PM

I would not take Dye off of a jersey, wear it with pride for all that JD contributed to the Sox. I still wear my Iguchi jersey.

Shoeless
04-05-2010, 10:01 PM
I would not take Dye off of a jersey, wear it with pride for all that JD contributed to the Sox. I still wear my Iguchi jersey.
I wear my Joe Crede Jersey a ton. Probably more than my other ones

ewokpelts
04-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Eh, I didn't really have much else to wear besides black anyway. I didn't want to wear my Alexei jersey opening day because usually it gets a bit crazy (especially in the 500 level), and I didn't want to ruin a signed jersey. I don't know what to do with my Dye jersey guys... should I take the Dye stitching off and keep the numbers? Does it look right? Because if it does I might just make it a blank jersey.jerseys with removed #'s look U-G-L-Y

ohthosechisox
04-06-2010, 10:50 AM

I only wore black because I read about it from here. If KW was really serious about wanting a blackout, I don't know why they didn't advertise and promote it more. I'm sure people would have participated.

JohnTucker0814
04-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Opening day was awesome! Gettin' ready to head towards Milwaukee for tonights game, then back to US Cellular for Peavy's start tomorrow. I wrote a quick update on my blog about how there's just nothing like Opening Day!

LINK (http://tucksfantasyleague.com/centerfieldblog/)

WhiteSoxFTW
04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I only wore black because I read about it from here. If KW was really serious about wanting a blackout, I don't know why they didn't advertise and promote it more. I'm sure people would have participated.
I think having a blackout during a day game is part of the problem. I'm guessing a lot of people didn't get the memo, but I think some people chose not to wear black, because it did get pretty warm yesterday in the sun. A blackout at a night game is more easily accomplished.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
If somebody can walk around Soxfest in a Jose Paniagua jersey (no, I'm not kidding), then wearing the jersey of our World Series MVP is a non-issue.

GoGoCrede
04-06-2010, 11:57 AM
If somebody can walk around Soxfest in a Jose Paniagua jersey (no, I'm not kidding), then wearing the jersey of our World Series MVP is a non-issue.

I saw someone in Bartman 03 jersey yesterday. If that's not a big waste of money, I don't know what is. Jermaine Dye will always be remembered for his time here.

DumpJerry
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
You're kidding us, aren't you?

First of all, why is your signed jersey even outside the protection of your house? My signed Thome jersey will never, never experience outdoor elements and is covered in plastic to protect it from indoor elements.

Second, what did Jermaine Dye do to deserve becoming a non-person? I have a Jack McDowell jersey (in addition the above-mentioned Thome jersey), should I desecrate them?

ewokpelts
04-06-2010, 12:14 PM

First of all, why is your signed jersey even outside the protection of your house? My signed Thome jersey will never, never experience outdoor elements and is covered in plastic to protect it from indoor elements.

Second, what did Jermaine Dye do to deserve becoming a non-person? I have a Jack McDowell jersey (in addition the above-mentioned Thome jersey), should I desecrate them?
i've seen people wear jerseys with 10-15 signatures. beats me as to why they do that.

twentywontowin
04-06-2010, 09:37 PM

I ran into a guy in Milwaukee during our road trip who had a Kelly Wunsch jersey. I need to pull that picture off my phone.

ChiSoxGirl
04-06-2010, 09:39 PM
This is the first chance I've had to post in this thread since yesterday's game, so pardon the Capt. Obvious statement, but the blackout was an epic fail. That is all.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Second, what did Jermaine Dye do to deserve becoming a non-person? I have a Jack McDowell jersey (in addition the above-mentioned Thome jersey), should I desecrate them?I here people at the park saying "why the heck does that guy have a Pods jersey?" blablabla, I just didn't want to be that guy. Now that I look back it it, it was an odd question. :tongue:

I planned on framing my Alexei jersey, but my mom said she got it for me to wear to games. It was only $130... it's just like going to the store and buying a jersey. Ebay is good sometimes. :redneck + a Thome jersey is much more valuable than Alexei. I never see anyone with Alexei jerseys, just a select few. I think I'm going to just frame it though. I didn't get an Ozzie plan so I'm probably not going be wear it much anyway... why risk it?

GoGoCrede
04-06-2010, 09:50 PM
I here people at the park saying "why the heck does that guy have a Pods jersey?" blablabla, I just didn't want to be that guy. Now that I look back it it, it was an odd question. :tongue:

Who cares what anyone thinks? Furthermore, no one's ever going to question why someone would be wearing a Dye jersey. The answer is obvious.

BadBobbyJenks
04-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Who cares what anyone thinks? Furthermore, no one's ever going to question why someone would be wearing a Dye jersey. The answer is obvious.

Its not quite the same as wearing a Thomas like I often do, but its not that far away either.

Soxgirl22
04-06-2010, 09:53 PM
I wear my Pods shirt frequently... just throwing that out there.

GoGoCrede
04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I wear my Pods shirt frequently... just throwing that out there.

My Swisher one is gathering dust at my mom's house, to be perfectly honest. :smile: I still wear my Crede one all the time. Anyone from that 2005 team is worth wearing their shirt, IMO.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-06-2010, 09:55 PM
The only problem I had was that Dye hasn't always been on the Sox (only 5 years). If Buehrle plays for the Cards, I'll still wear his jersey for a life-time, just like if Konerko left. Dye was a good player, but not really a full bred Sox player. I guess being the WS MVP makes up for that, and also just being a great overall guy.

ewokpelts
04-07-2010, 07:50 AM
the sox sell former player shirts for $10, and jerserys as low as $50. i wear these becuase i dont want to spend $30 for a shirt, or $200 for a jersey.

doublem23
04-07-2010, 07:52 AM
My Swisher one is gathering dust at my mom's house, to be perfectly honest. :smile: I still wear my Crede one all the time. Anyone from that 2005 team is worth wearing their shirt, IMO.

Definitely, however, I am also the guy who still sports a Mike Sirotka jersey. 2000 FTW.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-07-2010, 10:09 AM
I ran into a guy in Milwaukee during our road trip who had a Kelly Wunsch jersey. I need to pull that picture off my phone.
Is it possible that the guy you ran into was Kelly Wunsch? :tongue: