PDA

View Full Version : Cubs release Kevin Millar

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Also send Micah Hoffpauir to Iowa.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=369605

Methinks Lou wasn't happy with Millar's spring.

Marqhead
03-30-2010, 02:42 PM
I didn't even know Millar was on the team. :dunno:

DumpJerry
03-30-2010, 02:47 PM
I didn't even know Millar was on the team. :dunno:
He was signed to a minor league contract.

Just last week Sweet Lou was signing the praises of Millar and talking about how glad he is they signed him.

Chez
03-30-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm surprised. By all accounts, Millar is a great clubhouse guy. The anti-Milton Bradley.

Jim Shorts
03-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm surprised. By all accounts, Millar is a great clubhouse guy. The anti-Milton Bradley.

Great clubhouse guys that can't hit = Nick Swisher

soltrain21
03-30-2010, 03:41 PM

I feel like I'd be annoyed with Nick Swisher within 2 and a half days.

white sox bill
03-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Got get him Kenny...Coop' will fix him!

oeo
03-30-2010, 04:08 PM

Swisher wasn't a great clubhouse guy, that's why he's gone.

http://speakingofsports.org/images/swisher,_nick.jpg
It's all about the team, man (as long as I'm playing).

MarkZ35
03-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Just last week Sweet Lou was signing the praises of Millar and talking about how glad he is they signed him.
I thought for sure he was going to make the team by the way Lou talked about Millar everyday.

thomas35forever
03-30-2010, 04:49 PM
So much for breaking the curse.

PalehosePlanet
03-30-2010, 05:07 PM
I can't believe they still have options left on Hoffpauir. The guy is 30 years old.

johnnyg83
03-30-2010, 07:18 PM
comic that does not like kevin (http://www.gocomics.com/iloathekevinmillar)

mzh
03-30-2010, 09:02 PM
I can't believe they still have options left on Hoffpauir. The guy is 30 years old.
Wasn't he supposed to be the "savior" last year after a huge spring? So much for that I guess :shrug:

TornLabrum
03-30-2010, 09:24 PM
The news of Millar being cut saddens me because I've followed his career since he was a member of the Kane County Cougars back in '94 (iirc).

canOcorn
03-30-2010, 09:34 PM
The news of Millar being cut saddens me because I've followed his career since he was a member of the Kane County Cougars back in '94 (iirc).

It was a pretty good run as an undrafted FA.

TheOldRoman
03-31-2010, 09:02 AM
It was a pretty good run as an undrafted FA.Interestingly enough, he also crossed union lines and became a replacement player in 1994. He is the last scab still playing.

BRDSR
03-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Interestingly enough, he also crossed union lines and became a replacement player in 1994. He is the last scab still playing.

That is interesting...I was only 8 years old during the strike...is there anyone else I would recognize as having played as a replacement player?

wilburaga
03-31-2010, 11:30 AM
That is interesting...I was only 8 years old during the strike...is there anyone else I would recognize as having played as a replacement player?

Take a look at this imperfect Wiki list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_replacement_players

rocky biddle
03-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Interestingly enough, he also crossed union lines and became a replacement player in 1994. He is the last scab still playing.

That's the only thing I think of when I hear his name- scab.

ewokpelts
03-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Also send Micah Hoffpauir to Iowa.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=369605

Methinks Lou wasn't happy with Millar's spring.there goes the cursebuster

Jim Shorts
03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Swisher wasn't a great clubhouse guy, that's why he's gone.

http://speakingofsports.org/images/swisher,_nick.jpg
It's all about the team, man (as long as I'm playing).

He's gone cause he pouted toward the end of the year ... and he sucked for us.

From what I remember, he was a great clubhouse guy in April/May/June

oeo
03-31-2010, 03:15 PM
He's gone cause he pouted toward the end of the year ... and he sucked for us.

From what I remember, he was a great clubhouse guy in April/May/June

Yes, when things were going his way. Sounds pretty selfish, don't you think? Not quite what I consider a good clubhouse guy. A good clubhouse guy wouldn't have pouted, a good clubhouse guy would have taken it in stride and been supportive as well as look to improve. Swisher earned his spot on the bench, there was no one to be mad at but himself. He puts on a pretty good show, but it's really about Nick.

wilburaga
03-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Of course, Millar's true claim to fame is that he is the nephew of the great Wayne Nordhagen.

guillensdisciple
03-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes, when things were going his way. Sounds pretty selfish, don't you think? Not quite what I consider a good clubhouse guy. A good clubhouse guy wouldn't have pouted, a good clubhouse guy would have taken it in stride and been supportive as well as look to improve. Swisher earned his spot on the bench, there was no one to be mad at but himself. He puts on a pretty good show, but it's really about Nick.

Nick Swisher was a joke with the Sox, and continued being one with the Yankees. The only reason no one cared is because they spent enough money on other players to relax the stupidity that this guy brings.

peelwonder
04-02-2010, 01:21 PM
It was a pretty good run as an undrafted FA.

He was actually a replacement player too. Sorry didn't see where it was posted earlier.

As for Scab I could see how you could be called that for crossing Union lines but c'mon the MLBPA isn't even comparable to everyday unions for the average Joe.

soxinem1
04-02-2010, 08:30 PM

Brendan Donnelly with PIT is still around.

Regarding Millar, he has come a long way since then.

It seems like yesterday that Millar left FLA and was signed by a Japanese team, them BOS paid a boatload to get him and get that contract tossed.

Millar dealt with nothing like Damian Miller had for being a replacement player. Miller had his name left off of the ARI Division and World Series Championship T-shirts and had to leave the room/clubhouse when the MLBPA had to talk to players about union business.

TornLabrum
04-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Of course, Millar's true claim to fame is that he is the nephew of the great Wayne Nordhagen.

Millar was the second Cougar that I know of to be a nephew of a former major leaguer. The first was Gregg Zaun, nephew of Rick Dempsey.