PDA

View Full Version : Tigers trade Robertson to FLA...Dontrelle makes the rotation?

jabrch
03-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Interesting move. I guess they are confident that Willis is OK since they are likely paying most of the money they owed to Robertson to move him.

Chez
03-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Unless Detroit sent a huge bag of cash with Robertson, I'm shocked the Marlins would take on his $10m salary. Don't forget that Detroit still has Bonderman.

jabrch
03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Unless Detroit sent a huge bag of cash with Robertson, I'm shocked the Marlins would take on his $10m salary. Don't forget that Detroit still has Bonderman.

Definitely they sent a bag of cash.

Lip Man 1
03-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Remember as well the Marlins made an agreement with MLB and the MLBPA to raise payroll. This may do it somewhat.

Lip

jabrch
03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Remember as well the Marlins made an agreement with MLB and the MLBPA to raise payroll. This may do it somewhat.

Lip

That would be extremely deceptive if they do so by taking on a deal from someone else with the money to pay for it.

oeo
03-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Rosenthal says the Tigers are paying 9.6 of the 10 million.

krohnjw
03-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Rosenthal says the Tigers are paying 9.6 of the 10 million.

Wow - that's a lot of cash to pick up...

Chez
03-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Wow - that's a lot of cash to pick up...

True -- but Robertson was horrible last year. If the Marlins are only paying a little above the league minimum, I suppose it's worth the risk. They could release him if he continues to struggle.

Lip Man 1
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Jab:

Remember we're talking about MLB ownership here, ethics and morality are the very last things they generally care about.
:D:

Lip

jabrch
03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Jab:

Remember we're talking about MLB ownership here, ethics and morality are the very last things they generally care about.
:D:

Lip

That's true... If MLB had a strong independent commissioner like the NFL, it would be a different story.

SBSoxFan
03-30-2010, 10:59 PM
As a Sox fan, I'm sorry to see him go. Obviously, they think Willis has it back together. I hope they are wrong.

Oblong
04-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't think this move has anything to do with Willis actually. Bonderman/Willis/Robertson were sort of like a triumverate because all 3 have been bad/injured the last 2 years and had contracts going through 2010.

Of the 3, the team is most confident in Bonderman beacuse his issues have been clearly tied to specific injuries and he appears to be over them. Whether he can be the pitcher he was in the first half of 2007 remains to be seen.

I think they were just done with Nate and figured if they could get a halfway decent bullpen filler prospect in return for him then why not, they're going to pay his salary anyway. I'm sure they would have done the same with Willis if they had a taker.

I give Dontrelle 3 starts before they cut him. Don't let his spring ERA fool you. He's still walking a lot of people and giving up hits. They've just been hit at people to make outs.

Cutting Nate was about the roster spot. They have candidates for the 5th spot that are just as good.