PDA

View Full Version : Sox for Sale

palehosemike
06-15-2002, 05:47 PM
I posted this thought to Redpinstripes in one of his posts today, but since this will be my official 100TH post I thought I should make it a good one and share it with everyone.

We are all tired of management correct? We would love to see someone else come in and take over right? Someone who is a REAL baseball fan and who really cares what the thier clients (the fans) have to say and how they feel.

A while back on ESPN I was watching a segment about a couple of college guys that started a website to buy the Montreal Expos. They actually got a decent amount of "donations" from people all over the world to buy the Expos. In the grand scheme of things, the amount of money they collected was not nearly enough.

Though my FANTASY would be that Sox fans did something similar and came up with enough $money$ to actually buy the Sox. And then turn around and sell shares of the team - aka Going Public. This is how the Green Bay Packers ownership is set up.

Now for all of you Finance guys out there don't shred my post because I am 1.) Not a finance guru 2.) This is just an idea/fantasy which is not well thought out. That is why I am posting it here to get everyone's input.

Even if something got out to the media showing that there is a cluster of Sox fans that want JR to sell the team so badly they are doing anything they can to buy the team, it would make me proud to be a Sox fan.

Just a thought and I would love the rest of the WSI's input! Also take the poll - Would you contribute money to buy the Sox?

PHM

:reinsy
Ahhhh Palehosemike, you are but a mere insignificant fan that cannot influence me!

:tool
Crap - If those guys at WSI buy the Sox all hell will break loose.

:KW
Sh*t - I better update my resume if those guys buy the team.

Paulwny
06-15-2002, 06:20 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, under mlb governing rules, only a minor league team is allowed to be owned by the public.

RedPinStripes
06-15-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Sorry to burst your bubble, under mlb governing rules, only a minor league team is allowed to be owned by the public.

Gee.I wonder who's advantage that is to? The greedy and filthy rich owners ?I'd give as much as i could for it.

:tool
the fans have power. that would be the beginning of the end for me.

Procol Harum
06-15-2002, 10:41 PM
The solution is obviously to have all the WSI regulars put aside one week's salary, pool it, and then offer to buy the team for $250 million--c'mon, that's easy! West and George oughta be able to come up with half of that their ownselves.... :gulp:

palehosemike
06-16-2002, 09:04 AM
Instead of the going public idea - you just form a corporation - if you could get 250,000 Sox fans to contribute $1000 you would get your $250,000 million. Not to shabby....

:pudge
I think with WSI in control the Sox would no longer alienate former players.....