PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times Poll: White Sox number one team in Chicago

MARTINMVP
03-29-2010, 07:30 PM
"Sweet" Lou Canellis, a regular guest on The Roe Conn Show on WLS/Chicago today was referring to a Sun-Times poll in which the White Sox were voted the city's number one team (or most popular... I don't remember which). Lou, stated that he thought the poll was skewed since he believes more southsiders read the Sun-Times. Lou is a White Sox fan, which surprised me since for some reason, I had him pegged as a Cubs fan.

I looked on the Sun-Times website to see this poll for myself, but was unable to find it. Roe and Lou went on to add that the Bears are really the most popular team in town.

I'm not aware of what the demographics are in regards to the readership of the Sun-Times (at least what's left of the readership). Just wondering if anyone else came across this poll?

BRDSR
03-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Two thoughts:

1) WTS

2) We can all agree on Da Bears.

GoGoCrede
03-29-2010, 08:20 PM
It was just mentioned on the Score.

And the Bears are Chicago's team. Poll was probably a fluke.

spawn
03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
That poll was definitely a fluke. This is first and foremost a Bears town.

g0g0
03-29-2010, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't trust any polls like that. I've seen quite a few posts on here that were a "call to arms" to vote on polls. They can be easily skewed.

jshanahanjr
03-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Who are the Bears?

ShoelessJoeS
03-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Who are the Bears?See: Greatest Football Team Ever

jshanahanjr
03-29-2010, 10:49 PM
1985 was the Best team ever, but mostly they are the Cubs of football.

kittle42
03-29-2010, 10:58 PM
I saw the article Sunday. Buehrle also won "Favorite Athlete."

Somebody was stuffing those ballot boxes.

DSpivack
03-30-2010, 12:33 AM
It was just mentioned on the Score.

And the Bears are Chicago's team. Poll was probably a fluke.

While the Bears are undeniably Chicago's #1 team, I think this is a bigger baseball than football town.

SephClone89
03-30-2010, 12:48 AM
The Bears are very meh. They are okay, but I have little attachment to them.

jabrch
03-30-2010, 12:51 AM
If this were a 1 baseball team town, that team would be infinitely more popular than the Bears.

Can you imagine?

Viva Medias B's
03-30-2010, 09:59 AM

It may be a reflection of the Sun-Times readership which I think includes a lot of Sox diehards.

I wouldn't trust any polls like that. I've seen quite a few posts on here that were a "call to arms" to vote on polls. They can be easily skewed.

Are you suggesting the Sox Army had something to do with this? That is preposterous!

Who are the Bears?

See: Greatest Football Team Ever

Yeah...NOT!

I divorced the Bears for a myriad of reasons not necessarily having to do with their on field performance, and I think their popularity in this town is overrated and really living off of 1985. The White Sox are No. 1 in my book.

Vestigio
03-30-2010, 10:14 AM
If this were a 1 baseball team town, that team would be infinitely more popular than the Bears.

Can you imagine?

I absolutely agree

voodoochile
03-30-2010, 11:26 AM

They've won the second most number of championships in NFL history behind the Pukers... Your bias is showing...

doublem23
03-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I have a feeling the poll he was referring to was taken on October 27, 2005. This was a Sox town that day.

BRDSR
03-30-2010, 11:29 AM

Can you imagine?

I agree, which is precisely why it has two. Also, MARTINMVP's picture of pancakes just made me really hungry.

Iwritecode
03-30-2010, 11:53 AM
They've won the second most number of championships in NFL history behind the Pukers... Your bias is showing...

Problem is that only one of those happened in his lifetime.

Honestly, I didn't know that fact either. Besides 1985, the Bears really haven't been all that great in my lifetime either.

g0g0
03-30-2010, 01:35 PM

Honestly, I didn't know that fact either. Besides 1985, the Bears really haven't been all that great in my lifetime either.

I'm a Bears fan and no one ever counts those (except Bears fans lol). The only ones that matter nowadays are the Super Bowl wins.

Johnny Mostil
03-30-2010, 01:45 PM

1985 is their only championship in the past 46 years. And only their second in the past 63 years.

chisoxfanatic
03-30-2010, 02:13 PM
1985 is their only championship in the past 46 years. And only their second in the past 63 years.
You can set your own time interval to satisfy your own agenda anytime you want, but what Voodoo stated is a fact.

chisoxfanatic
03-30-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm a Bears fan and no one ever counts those (except Bears fans lol). The only ones that matter nowadays are the Super Bowl wins.
Only those who have no idea about or do not care about the great history of the NFL.

doublem23
03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
You can set your own time interval to satisfy your own agenda anytime you want, but what Voodoo stated is a fact.

2 championships in 63 years is pretty shabby, regardless of how you feel about the team.

Johnny Mostil
03-30-2010, 02:28 PM

My "agenda"? Didn't know I had one. Though I do find hilarious the parallels between Cub and Big Cub claims of glory days that are more than six decades past. What "agenda" would give one a pass but not the other?

Johnny Mostil
03-30-2010, 02:30 PM
But back on track: the fact the Bears command such a following with such a mediocre record over the past several decades proves pretty conclusively to me they'd win any objective survey of local fan loyalty, no matter how many baseball teams are in the city.

MARTINMVP
03-30-2010, 06:59 PM
In my mind, the Bears are the Cubs of the NFL. I'm 25, and think of all the pathetic blunders through my lifetime. I don't hate the Bears, I just always have had a hard time taking them seriously.

Viva Medias B's
03-30-2010, 07:04 PM
But back on track: the fact the Bears command such a following with such a mediocre record over the past several decades proves pretty conclusively to me they'd win any objective survey of local fan loyalty, no matter how many baseball teams are in the city.

The Bears are still living off of 1985. Pre-1985, where they really as popular?

TommyJohn
03-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Which is exactly one more than the Chicago/St. Louis/Arizona Cardinals have won in the same span. I say that to point out that the Bears haven't done much in the way of winning since the Cardinals left them all alone.

slavko
03-31-2010, 12:01 AM
I saw the article Sunday. Buehrle also won "Favorite Athlete."

Somebody was stuffing those ballot boxes.

Stuffing ballot boxes. It's what we do.

voodoochile
03-31-2010, 12:47 AM
2 championships in 63 years is pretty shabby, regardless of how you feel about the team.

I'm not defending the recent record of our beloveds, but to compare them to the flubbies is just plain wrong.

In fact it's not really fair to do that to any team. The flubbies are a unique example of failure...

jabrch
03-31-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm not defending the recent record of our beloveds, but to compare them to the flubbies is just plain wrong.

In fact it's not really fair to do that to any team. The flubbies are a unique example of failure...

...not at the gate

ode to veeck
03-31-2010, 01:23 AM

even with the upside moves in recent weeks, they are stil a very dismal organization from the top on down

tebman
03-31-2010, 10:31 AM
even with the upside moves in recent weeks, they are stil a very dismal organization from the top on down

They really are a dismal baseball organization, but a wildly successful marketing outfit. The Tribune didn't know (and didn't much care) about running a baseball team, but it understood marketing synergy. That's why they bought the team and that's how they used it.

Ricketts paid a premium price because he was getting into a marketing locomotive. Whether he can keep it up is going to be another story. He's in a good position since the Tribune gave him a 20-year head start in hype. As long as Trixie and Chad can pay to bask in the sun and drink, Ricketts will keep selling sizzle in the absence of steak.

SephClone89
03-31-2010, 10:41 AM
They really are a dismal baseball organization, but a wildly successful marketing outfit.

I think he was talking about the Bears.

tebman
03-31-2010, 10:58 AM
I think he was talking about the Bears.

You're right. Mea culpa. :redface:

The Bears are a good marketing outfit too. The difference between them and the Cubs is that the Bears have the NFL monopoly in Chicago.

voodoochile
03-31-2010, 11:15 AM
...not at the gate

See PT Barnum for clarification...

g0g0
03-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Only those who have no idea about or do not care about the great history of the NFL.

Like I said - no one cares nowadays.

SephClone89
03-31-2010, 09:07 PM

The NFL has never been a history-based league the way baseball is.

Also, I am so sick of talking about football.

America's greatest game opens in four days...I turn on ESPN today, and all they're talking about is ****ing football. This obsession our country has with the sport needs to end.

Viva Medias B's
03-31-2010, 09:20 PM

America's greatest game opens in four days...I turn on ESPN today, and all they're talking about is ****ing football. This obsession our country has with the sport needs to end.

I am with you on this, but expect more football talk from the media with NFL Draft approaching. Locally, there will be speculation on whom the Bears will pick in the first and second rounds...oh, wait a minute.

MARTINMVP
03-31-2010, 10:59 PM

Thank you, sincerely. I do cringe up the upcoming talk of the draft, and then those off-season mini camp progress reports.

apbaball
04-10-2010, 02:02 PM
"Sweet" Lou Canellis, a regular guest on The Roe Conn Show on WLS/Chicago today was referring to a Sun-Times poll in which the White Sox were voted the city's number one team (or most popular... I don't remember which). Lou, stated that he thought the poll was skewed since he believes more southsiders read the Sun-Times. Lou is a White Sox fan, which surprised me since for some reason, I had him pegged as a Cubs fan.

I looked on the Sun-Times website to see this poll for myself, but was unable to find it. Roe and Lou went on to add that the Bears are really the most popular team in town.

I'm not aware of what the demographics are in regards to the readership of the Sun-Times (at least what's left of the readership). Just wondering if anyone else came across this poll?

Wow, I moved away in 1991 and this comes as a shock. When I was a kid back in the 70s there was a time when I thought the Sox were more popular; 1977 for one. Wrigley was running the Cubs into the ground and there was a lot of unhappy fans when he sent Madlock packing because he wanted more money. Caray and Piersall were on the air and the Sox had an exciting team. In fact, I think they could have overtaken the Cubs in popularity but they made several huge mistakes.

1) Putting the games on cable (Sportschannel) back in the early 80s. Part of the reason for the Cubs popularity has been they are accessible on TV especially at times kids growing up can watch. The Sox were always on UHF back (32 and or 44) then and had crummy reception. Moving to sportschannel was even worse since not many had it.

2) Firing Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall. Caray helped bring the Cubs back into the limelight along with that 1984 season. I don't think the Cubs would have been as popular as they were without Harry Caray.

3) Firing Tony LaRussa. Been successful everywhere he has been. May not agree with everything he does but a proven winner.

I think the Sox blew a big chance at capturing the hearts of the city back in the early 80s and keeping them. After 1983, it could have been a Sox town if they have avoided those 3 big blunders.

So what is it like now? Are people really changing alliances from the Cubs to the Sox? What would you say the reason is?

parlaycard
04-10-2010, 02:07 PM
See: Greatest Football Team Ever

I believe that would be the Packers

1908<2005
04-10-2010, 04:29 PM
These polls are easily skewed. People can vote as much as they'd like and I'm sure like 20 people did this survey.

How Chicago sports teams rank right now:
1. Bears
2. Cubs
3. Blackhawks
4. White Sox
5. Bulls

I think 3 and 4 can easily be switched around but the Blackhawks are the biggest thing in Chicago right now. I wouldn't have them surpassing the Cubs though.

DSpivack
04-10-2010, 04:33 PM
These polls are easily skewed. People can vote as much as they'd like and I'm sure like 20 people did this survey.

How Chicago sports teams rank right now:
1. Bears
2. Cubs
3. Blackhawks
4. White Sox
5. Bulls

I think 3 and 4 can easily be switched around but the Blackhawks are the biggest thing in Chicago right now. I wouldn't have them surpassing the Cubs though.

You confuse how the teams are playing with popularity. The Blackhawks are still a distant fifth and the Bulls might be ahead of the Sox.

SephClone89
04-10-2010, 04:59 PM
You confuse how the teams are playing with popularity. The Blackhawks are still a distant fifth and the Bulls might be ahead of the Sox.

Nah. It's gotta be:

Bears
Cubs
Sox
Hawks
Bulls

Right now.

I don't often find baseball and football fans, for example, following the Bulls that closely at all.

DSpivack
04-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Nah. It's gotta be:

Bears
Cubs
Sox
Hawks
Bulls

Right now.

I don't often find baseball and football fans, for example, following the Bulls that closely at all.

And I still think there's no way the Hawks have more fans than the Bulls. Basketball is a much more popular sport than hockey and Derrick Rose's jersey is the #4 seller in the NBA.

SephClone89
04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
And I still think there's no way the Hawks have more fans than the Bulls. Basketball is a much more popular sport than hockey and Derrick Rose's jersey is the #4 seller in the NBA.

I've noticed a ton of sports fans talking about the Hawks constantly and people talking about the games all the time. My Facebook friends talk about the Hawks games in their statuses 1000x as much as the Bulls. If the Bulls were that big in this town right now, we'd be hearing "Fire Vinny" constantly on the radio.

DSpivack
04-10-2010, 05:06 PM
I've noticed a ton of sports fans talking about the Hawks constantly and people talking about the games all the time. My Facebook friends talk about the Hawks games in their statuses 1000x as much as the Bulls. If the Bulls were that big in this town right now, we'd be hearing "Fire Vinny" constantly on the radio.

That's because the Hawks are good, the Bulls are not, and people love a winner.

The Bulls have a mediocre team and the Hawks are one of the best in the NHL, and the Bulls still probably get tens of thousands of more viewers every game than the Hawks. The Hawks might get more buzz on sportsblab radio and rightfully so as they're the only Chicago team with a hope of a title this year, but I don't think that's representative of sports fans in the Chicago area as a whole.

kitekrazy
04-10-2010, 05:35 PM

It's sad that you can't even have honest journalism in sports.