PDA

View Full Version : A Theory/ Credibility Lost?

Lip Man 1
06-15-2002, 05:59 PM
As I was watching the Sox lose again badly today, a theory started developing in my mind. I'm just wondering what you think about it. All comments are appreciated.

First off this is just a theoretic discussion...a "what if" scenario. Before you crucify me (what me paranoid???LOL) realize that I'm NOT hoping this happens, I'm not advocating it. I'm simply wondering...although I think the odds are good that it will happen.

For the sake of discussion let's say that the Sox have a disasterous road trip. By that I mean that they lose 8 of the next 11 to the Cubs, Phillies, Braves and Twins.

That would mean when they return home at the end of the month, they'd be six or seven games under .500 and perhaps seven or eight games out of first.

Even though the Cubs would be the next opponent, would Sox fans who bought tickets even go to these games? If so, how many???

And to take this discussion a step beyond, SHOULD Sox fans show up? Would it take a dramatic gesture such as a 2/3rd's empty park for a series with the Cubs to make a dramatic statement to management that a serious and complete reevaluation of everything connected with the organization is in order.

By that I mean a reevaluation of management prinicples (i.e. payroll size, long term pitcher contracts, not being willing to work with agents like Scott Boras), a hard look at the front office (including the GM) as well as the current coaching staff and players.

It seems to me after five years of basically mediocrity since the White Flag Deal (with the exception of the 2000 season which now strongly appears to have been a fluke) the Sox need to do this. Much as in 1970 when they cleaned house after losing 295 games total in 1968, 1969 and 1970.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Lip

Viva Magglio
06-15-2002, 06:04 PM
If Sox fans boycotted the Cubs series, it would turn Comiskey into Wrigley South. That would be even more embarrassing. But I do see where you're coming from.

oldcomiskey
06-15-2002, 07:38 PM
if you did that it would give JR another excuse for not signing anyone---