PDA

View Full Version : Are the Ms going to be as good as some people are saying?

jabrch
03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
I see the world racing to fellate Jack Z for the wonderful job he has done spending money. I'm not sure I see it.

For all people bitch about DH, I'd take our situtaion over theirs. Catcher is a big black hole for them. Wilson can't hit. Lopez does little other than hit a few HRs. Kotchman and Gutierrez are OK. Ichiro is solid. Figgins gets on base and steals bases for you. Milton is Milton.. And that entire staff is loaded with Qs behind King Felix and (injured) Cliff Lee. Aardsma is closing and their only LHP in the pen (unless he has to start with Lee being hurt) is Justin Vargas who is...well...I bet he wouldn't make our pen... The rotation will be King Felix, Lee (out) Rowland-Smith, Snell, Fister and Vargas?

They have a nice bench with Garko, Byrnes, Langerhans and Hannhan, but...

So my question - how good is Seattle? Goofy - I'd love to hear your opinion.

Craig Grebeck
03-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I see the world racing to fellate Jack Z for the wonderful job he has done spending money. I'm not sure I see it.

For all people bitch about DH, I'd take our situtaion over theirs. Catcher is a big black hole for them. Wilson can't hit. Lopez does little other than hit a few HRs. Kotchman and Gutierrez are OK. Ichiro is solid. Figgins gets on base and steals bases for you. Milton is Milton.. And that entire staff is loaded with Qs behind King Felix and (injured) Cliff Lee. Aardsma is closing and their only LHP in the pen (unless he has to start with Lee being hurt) is Justin Vargas who is...well...I bet he wouldn't make our pen... The rotation will be King Felix, Lee (out) Rowland-Smith, Snell, Fister and Vargas?

They have a nice bench with Garko, Byrnes, Langerhans and Hannhan, but...

So my question - how good is Seattle?
I think Z has done a great job, but that doesn't mean I think his team is a world-beater. I can easily see them finishing 3rd or 4th as constructed. The only team in the division I think they're surely ahead of is LAA.

pmck003
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Overhyped a bit; Lopez-Bradley-Griffey as 3-4-5? Maybe you don't need as much power out of them w/ Ichiro and Figgins. Their CF is supposed to be pretty good defensively and not bad at the plate. I think Ozzie would love to manage this team.

I don't know much about R-Smith and Fister, but their numbers show promise. IMO they would need to be as good as those numbers for the M's to win the West.

Corlose 15
03-29-2010, 02:56 PM
That whole division could be interesting this year. You've got the Angels who have lost some big players in Figgins, and Lackey and need Pineiro to pitch well outisde of the tutelage of Duncan.

The Rangers who finally seem to have some pitching but need Harden, and Hamilton to stay healthy and have to get passed Washington's cocaine issue.

The Mariners seem to be improved but don't have a lot of offense and could be really in trouble if Lee doesn't recover from his injury because there isn't much behind him and Hernandez.

The A's could be in it but you never really know with them. It seems like they've been spinning their wheels for the last couple of seasons and probably will trade Sheets if he's doing anything during the season.

It could be real crazy summer out west.

Nellie_Fox
03-29-2010, 03:00 PM
IIRC, there was a big outpouring of love for the Mariners before the season last year, too.

Iwritecode
03-29-2010, 03:53 PM
This thread is funny because I just read Phil Roger's article on the Tribune's site about how bad he thinks they will be.

DSpivack
03-29-2010, 04:05 PM
I think they'll finish second behind the Angels. M's have some pitching [a bit unproven beyond the two aces] and should have great defense, but that lineup and bullpen looks iffy to me. They won't be as good as last year, but I LA/Anaheim has enough to take the division yet again. Should be a tight race, though.

jabrch
03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
This thread is funny because I just read Phil Roger's article on the Tribune's site about how bad he thinks they will be.

Who is Phil Roger? :D:

PicktoCLick72
03-29-2010, 06:06 PM

Well that clinches a good season for them.

BleacherBandit
03-29-2010, 06:10 PM
It's funny that so many people are picking them to win the whole American League. They're no more than a sexy pick in my book. Who thinks they can compete with the Yankees? I'd never expect that Chone Figgins is the game changer some are purporting him to be in Seattle.

Lee and Hernandez are a stellar two in the rotation, though.

jabrch
03-29-2010, 06:18 PM
It's funny that so many people are picking them to win the whole American League. They're no more than a sexy pick in my book. Who thinks they can compete with the Yankees? I'd never expect that Chone Figgins is the game changer some are purporting him to be in Seattle.

Lee and Hernandez are a stellar two in the rotation, though.

Not only do I not think they can compete with NY or Boston, I don't think they are necesarily a lock to not finish last place in the West.

Boondock Saint
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
They've got a few flashy pieces, and some guys that might impress, but the majority of the players surrounding them are going to disappoint. They've certainly improved, but they aren't there yet.

canOcorn
03-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Much like our Sox, they're most likely a 81-89 win team that won't win anything come October.

thomas35forever
03-29-2010, 11:14 PM
I think they'll finish slightly below .500, but they do have plenty of upside to them. I don't think they necessarily "stink."

HomeFish
03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Where's the option for "will be competitive for the division, but won't necessarily win"?

Rangers are also getting a ton of hype.

Tragg
03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Rangers are also getting a ton of hype.

Like mad.
It's ridiculous

Iwritecode
03-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Who is Phil Roger? :D:

Oh crap. I get messed up when the last name ends in an 'S'. My own last name ends in an 'S'.

Should it be Phil Rogers' article then?

downstairs
03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I think the AL West is up in the air. LAA's lost a lot of players. A's- I don't see why they'd run away with anything. The Rangers look good on paper, but that's a repeat from so many years where they just don't show up.

The M's are no World Series favorite, but I wouldn't be floored if they squeeked into the playoffs.

Heck, outside of the Yankees and Red Sox, the whole AL is up in the air. I wouldn't put money on any specific team.

jabrch
03-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Oh crap. I get messed up when the last name ends in an 'S'. My own last name ends in an 'S'.

Should it be Phil Rogers' article then?

Yup :D:

jabrch
03-30-2010, 11:23 AM
The Rangers look good on paper, but that's a repeat from so many years where they just don't show up.

Scott Feldman (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7622)Rich Harden (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7180)Tommy HunterColby Lewis (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6893)Matt Harrison (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8182)

Color me unimpressed. That's before Harden goes down...

I'd be very surprised if Texas or Seattle make the playoffs. Same with Oakland - and with LAA. For all the talk of how weak the ALC is, I think the ALW is even worse.