PDA

View Full Version : Mlb.tv

Sox of White
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
This will be my first full season living in California, and I am considering getting an mlb.tv subscription. It's either that or pay even more for extra innings, or I only get to watch the Sox on national broadcast games. I feel like mlb.tv is the best option for the money. Any opinions?

Marqhead
03-29-2010, 12:35 PM
If you have a solid internet connection go for it. Also, beware that MLB rolls your subscription over to next season unless you cancel it.

downstairs
03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Totally worth it. Especially since games are archived, and they have both TV feeds like 90% of the time. Radio too.

I almost use it more to go back to day-old games and see exciting stuff that happened.

Sox of White
03-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Cool, I guess I am convinced. I'll do it! Getting excited baseball is almost back!

tm1119
03-29-2010, 03:02 PM
I like it so far. I have no problems watching the ST games without interruption. Of course I only paid 19.99 for it so that makes it a lot better.

twinsuck
03-29-2010, 08:28 PM
I like it so far. I have no problems watching the ST games without interruption. Of course I only paid 19.99 for it so that makes it a lot better.
19.99 for what?? Just spring training??

tm1119
03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
19.99 for what?? Just spring training??

Nope. It was some sort mess up on their part that me and a lot of other people took advantage of. Found it here: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1921726 Long since been taken down/fixed though.

MARTINMVP
03-29-2010, 08:46 PM
I think MLB.tv is well worth it, but definetely make sure you have a great Internet connection. Also helps if you have a nice monitor. I can pull my monitor closer to my desk, angle it and watch it from the bed... kind of like a second TV.

lizard6king6
03-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Can I stream games to my tv through the PS3's internet explorer? I want to get mlbtv but am afraid I will do nothing all summer except that!

NDSox12
03-29-2010, 09:28 PM
I've been a loyal MLB Extra Innings subscriber for the past seven seasons, but am making the switch to MLB.TV this year. My main reason for doing so is because my cable company STILL does not have any HD channels dedicated to Extra Innings. From what I've seen, the high quality on MLB.TV is superior to standard definition TV. As an added bonus, I'll also be able to watch games on my iPhone with MLB At Bat.

I have a computer hooked up to my TV via HDMI. It works great for Hulu, ESPN360, etc. From what I've seen this spring, MLB.TV is going to be awesome as well.

One small problem I've had that maybe someone can chime in on... When watching some of the archived games from last season on high quality, it stutters pretty badly when I expand to full screen mode. It works great with the standard screen size, and even in high quality/full screen on my laptop. It is just the high quality/full screen on my 42" plasma TV that is giving me an issue. Perhaps this won't be a problem for live games, but I haven't been able to test this yet since all the spring games have been in standard quality only. It is also possible that the problem is with the computer and not MLB.TV, but like I said, Hulu and other video sources work great in full screen mode.

pudge
03-29-2010, 09:29 PM
If you have a DVR/TiVo, then I still think Extra Innings is the way to go. For one thing, unless you have a great connection 100% of the time, I find it frustrating to watch streaming games online. Secondly, even though they have the archive, it is not as smooth as being able to watch a reply on your DVR (fast forwarding through commercials, fast forwarding through boring parts of the game, etc.). Thirdly, you don't have the option online of starting a game mid-way through and "catching up" while it's in progress like you do with a DVR. That last point is the biggest one for me, as I usually get home about mid way through Central Time games.

As the poster above stated, the most annoying thing about Extra Innings is that in most markets very few games are in HD, and I simply hate watching standard def. But the stuttering of online and lack of DVR control tips in favor of Extra Innings for me.

DSpivack
03-29-2010, 11:42 PM
I've been a loyal MLB Extra Innings subscriber for the past seven seasons, but am making the switch to MLB.TV this year. My main reason for doing so is because my cable company STILL does not have any HD channels dedicated to Extra Innings. From what I've seen, the high quality on MLB.TV is superior to standard definition TV. As an added bonus, I'll also be able to watch games on my iPhone with MLB At Bat.

Does that app come with your MLB.tv subscription, or do you still have to pay extra for it? I've had MLB.tv for years, but just got an iPod touch.

NDSox12
03-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Does that app come with your MLB.tv subscription, or do you still have to pay extra for it? I've had MLB.tv for years, but just got an iPod touch.

Unfortunately, the app does not come with the subscription, so that is an additional $15 (up from $10 last year). The app was worth every penny for me last year, even w/out MLB.tv, because I could follow and listen to games anywhere. But I suspect it would not be quite as useful on the iPod touch unless you are frequently in Wi-Fi spots when you aren't watching games on TV.

Stormin' Norm
03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Can I stream games to my tv through the PS3's internet explorer? I want to get mlbtv but am afraid I will do nothing all summer except that!

Not exactly sure about your scenario, but there is an CPU app called PlayOn Media Server that will wirelessly stream Hulu, Netflix, MLB.tv, and tons of other stuff right to the PS3. It did cost $15 on sale and it usually priced at $40, but it's well worth it. IMO it's the future of television viewing.

BRDSR
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I am also planning to purchase mlb.tv during the next couple days, but have a question about blackouts that someone who has had the service in the past may be able to answer.

There are blackouts in each team's home market (I'm in Virginia, so not concerned about that) and the fine print seems to suggest that nationally televised games during the weekend (Fox's Saturday baseball and ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball) are also blacked out. What about other miscellaneous nationally televised games, like the White Sox' Opening Day Game, which is televised on ESPN2? I'm trying to decide whether to work from home that day and take the afternoon off. :cool: