PDA

View Full Version : Roster Expansion to 26

Rockabilly
03-29-2010, 01:06 PM
I believe all MLB rosters should be expanded to 26. The 25 man is outdated, it was great back in the day when the teams were using 9 or 10 pitchers.

Now that most teams are using 12 pitchers, they should expand the roster limit by 1.

ewokpelts
03-29-2010, 01:19 PM
what difference will one extra spot do?

Jpgr91
03-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I believe all MLB rosters should be expanded to 26. The 25 man is outdated, it was great back in the day when the teams were using 9 or 10 pitchers.

Now that most teams are using 12 pitchers, they should expand the roster limit by 1.

Why would the owners do this with out gaining some concessions from the MLBPA?

Tekijawa
03-29-2010, 01:32 PM
It will add about $400K a year to each teams Payroll... :cool:

PaleHoser
03-29-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm all for it, providing MLB dumps the DH. And hell will freeze over before the MLBPA lets that happen.

SephClone89
03-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm all for it, providing MLB dumps the DH. And hell will freeze over before the MLBPA lets that happen.

Ew.

soltrain21
03-29-2010, 03:01 PM

I think me and you (and maybe one or two others) are the only people who dislike the DH.

asindc
03-29-2010, 04:06 PM
I think me and you (and maybe one or two others) are the only people who dislike the DH.

I don't like it, either. Stay in shape and play baseball!

khan
03-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't like it, either. Stay in shape and play baseball!

I agree: Keep the pitcher in shape, so he can strike out or if he DOES get on base, run the bases, like Mark Prior!

asindc
03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
I agree: Keep the picher in shape, so he can strike out or if he DOES get on base, run the bases, like Mark Prior!

I prefer that the pitcher hit as well as Dontrelle Willis, but that's me.

khan
03-29-2010, 04:32 PM
I prefer that the pitcher hit as well as Dontrelle Willis, but that's me.

I agree. I'd prefer that the SOX's DH hit like Frank Thomas, but that's me. I'd also prefer that each and every White SOX baserunner run like Rickey Henderson, but that's me. [I mean, why ignore the overwhelming majority of pitchers in terms of their ineptitude as hitters, right?]

After all, the AL should join the NL and the um... the um.... I mean ALL the other professional leagues world-wide that have shunned the use of the DH, like: The Central league in Japan. And ummmmm.... err... uhhh.......

After all, "only" the AL, and the Pacific League in Japan, and the Korean League, and the Dominican League, and the Venezuelan League, and the Mexican League, and the entirety of the minor league system, and the NCAA, and the American Legion, and the professional league in Italy, and the league in The Netherlands use the DH. I might be missing a league or two or ten, but these are the "ONLY" leagues that use the DH.

doublem23
03-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Nothing more exciting than watching a pitcher helplessly flail at the plate at three pitches!!!

khan
03-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Nothing more exciting than watching a pitcher helplessly flail at the plate at three pitches!!!

Actually, I prefer watching TRUE baseball geniuses like Dusty Baker and Jerry Manuel work out the "double-switch."

FielderJones
03-29-2010, 04:43 PM

What about the sacrifice with runner on first and one out? What a chess game that is!

Thatguyoverthere
03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Nothing quite like seeing a pitcher get into a jam with two outs, then intentionally walk the 8th hitter to get to the pitcher and get out of it.

Daver
03-29-2010, 05:41 PM

The only thing better than watching the pitcher hit is watching him get hurt running the bases on the offchance that he makes contact. It's a hoot knowing one of your starters is gonna lose a season in the name of "purity".

HomeFish
03-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Both DeWayne Wise and Brian Anderson

munchman33
03-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Nothing like investing $100 million dollars on a pitcher and watching him ruin his arm at the plate or on the bases. Man, for the days pre-DH!

Baseball has changed quite a bit in the last fifty or so years. Get with the times. Pitchers at the plate make absolutely no sense. This isn't the golden age of pitchers, good ones are at a premium.

NDSox12
03-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Going back to the original post, I'd leave the roster size limit where it is. The fact that teams are starting to carry an extra pitcher means it is their own problem if it leaves their bench a little thin. It gives GMs and managers something to think about before decided to add that extra arm to the pen. While almost every team does use 12 pitchers, I don't see why a team couldn't survive with 11, especially if there are a couple guys in the pen capable of pitching more than an inning or two.

soltrain21
03-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Nothing like investing $100 million dollars on a pitcher and watching him ruin his arm at the plate or on the bases. Man, for the days pre-DH!

Baseball has changed quite a bit in the last fifty or so years. Get with the times. Pitchers at the plate make absolutely no sense. This isn't the golden age of pitchers, good ones are at a premium.

I've obviously got with the times if my favorite team happens to play in the AL when I could very easily cheer for an NL team. I'm indifferent to the whole thing - I just don't hate pitchers hitting as much as others do.

Now, to go buy a nickel paper and listen to my fancy new radio.

Thome_Fan
03-30-2010, 03:19 AM
Actually, I prefer watching TRUE baseball geniuses like Dusty Baker and Jerry Manuel work out the "double-switch."

Ah yes, the revered double-switch. Something only one with a doctorate could figure out... :rolleyes:

LITTLE NELL
03-30-2010, 07:23 AM
I like the DH and because of it you do not need to expand the rosters in the AL, now the NL is a different story with pinch hitting for the pitchers and flipping of the batting order.

TDog
03-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Back to the original point, expanding the rosters isn't going to happen. A few years ago (maybe more accurately "some years ago," but we're talking about the DH era), owners tried to reduce rosters to 24.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-30-2010, 03:28 PM
It only took 4 posts to completely derail this thread. that has to be some sort of record.

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure I like this idea.

First, it would give the Yankees and Red Sox another roster spot to overpay to poach another free agent from a small or mid-market team.

Second, it would provide Ozzie another mediocre hitter to try to force into the lineup, or another crappy pitcher to force onto the mound.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Pitchers, pitch.

Hitters, hit.

The NL needs to adopt the DH and get this silly crap (the 2 Leagues playing 2 completely different rules) over with.

For those ready to defend their anti-DH stance, no thanks. You are probably just afraid of change and disliked it from day one when "your game as you knew it" was changed. I hate seeing a rally killed by a pitcher over and over again in NL games. Wait until you see Carlos Silva batting this year for the Cubs. If he doesn't become the blueprint for the NL adopting the DH, then it will never happen.

As for expansion to 26, I like it. But someone else made a good point, why would the owners approve this? Someone might make a good case that the owners need to look at all these pitchers getting injured these days and have them make it a rule for every team to carry AT LEAST 12 pitchers which should help the case of roster expansion.

doublem23
03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
It only took 4 posts to completely derail this thread. that has to be some sort of record.

Pfft, there have been plenty of threads derailed in the OP.

TDog
03-31-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure I like this idea.

First, it would give the Yankees and Red Sox another roster spot to overpay to poach another free agent from a small or mid-market team.

Second, it would provide Ozzie another mediocre hitter to try to force into the lineup, or another crappy pitcher to force onto the mound.

Your first point is a valid one, although a team's ability to sign free agents without guaranteeing them full-time jobs would be limited in most cases, regardless of the money. Actually, there are a few teams that would only use 24 roster spots if they could to save the money, as insignificant as that 25th-roster-spot-salary might seem.

Your second point can be disregarded because it seems based on a heavy prejudice against the White Sox manager.

Railsplitter
03-31-2010, 06:44 PM

If this were true every pitvher would have a lifetime batting average of .000, which is not the case.

mzh
03-31-2010, 06:55 PM
If this were true every pitvher would have a lifetime batting average of .000, which is not the case.
Still, the league batting average for pitchers is under .200, which is almost as good. We complain about Teahen and Alexei struggling, but imagine replacing them with a near-useless batter who gets a hit 1.5/10 times and can't pinch hit for with the bases loaded and 2 outs because he's your starting pitcher. That would not go in this era of AL baseball.

Frater Perdurabo
03-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Your second point can be disregarded because it seems based on a heavy prejudice against the White Sox manager.

It was a joke. A joke with a point.

Daver
03-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Pitchers, pitch.

Hitters, hit.

The NL needs to adopt the DH and get this silly crap (the 2 Leagues playing 2 completely different rules) over with.

For those ready to defend their anti-DH stance, no thanks. You are probably just afraid of change and disliked it from day one when "your game as you knew it" was changed. I hate seeing a rally killed by a pitcher over and over again in NL games. Wait until you see Carlos Silva batting this year for the Cubs. If he doesn't become the blueprint for the NL adopting the DH, then it will never happen.

As for expansion to 26, I like it. But someone else made a good point, why would the owners approve this? Someone might make a good case that the owners need to look at all these pitchers getting injured these days and have them make it a rule for every team to carry AT LEAST 12 pitchers which should help the case of roster expansion.

Where in the CBA does it say that MLB can set roster limits by position?

Paulwny
03-31-2010, 09:11 PM

Ex Tiger pitcher Hank Aguirre told a reporter that his life time ba was .333,
1 hit in 3 yrs.

soxinem1
03-31-2010, 09:22 PM
I think 25 is fine.

And with starting pitching as expensive as it is, the purists should drop the idea of banning the DH. Just what we need, Buehrle or Danks pulling a hammy on the bases.

It is amazing how times have changed. I remember when none other than Hawk Harrelson led MLB in the voluntary yet successful cause of dropping the rosters to 24. And everyone did it until the 1990 lockout.