PDA

View Full Version : A Ranking of the Managers in Baseball

JermaineDye05
03-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Per Nick Cafardo

Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2010/03/28/managerial_decisions_from_no_1_to_no_30/?page=full)

Ozzie is #10. Leyland and Gardenhire are both ahead of him which I can't really argue with.

HomeFish
03-28-2010, 03:16 PM
This reminded me that Riggleman and Jerry Manuel are both managers in the same division these days. Heh.

jamokes
03-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Good players make good managers.

JermaineDye05
03-28-2010, 03:39 PM

Hawk keeps saying AJ will be a great manager, and I feel that his overall baseball knowledge would make him a pretty damn good manager. The question is, does AJ really want to manage when he's done with baseball?

HomeFish
03-28-2010, 03:42 PM
It's almost expected that any good veteran catcher will go on to become a manager.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Hawk keeps saying AJ will be a great manager, and I feel that his overall baseball knowledge would make him a pretty damn good manager. The question is, does AJ really want to manage when he's done with baseball?Was he saying good players eventually make good managers, or was he saying a team full of all-stars make a manager "good"?

doublem23
03-28-2010, 08:28 PM

We all know about Ted Williams' long and illustrious managerial career.

oeo
03-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Leyland and Gardenhire are both ahead of him which I can't really argue with.

I would flip-flop the two.

Dibbs
03-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Wow, after seeing that list I think I may stop complaining about Ozzie. There are a lot of bad managers in baseball.

gobears1987
03-28-2010, 11:14 PM
LaRussa at #2 is BS. They said he can take an average player and make him better. No **** Sherlock? I think I know his method of doing so too.

http://serioussportsnewsnetwork.com/uploaded_images/TheSyringeLife-738910.jpg

goon
03-28-2010, 11:45 PM
We all know about Ted Williams' long and illustrious managerial career.

I thought they meant good players make a manager look good. IE. Joe Torre and his Yankee teams.

jamokes
03-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Good current players on the current team will make the manager, or hitting-pitching coaches good.

I completely agree with the poster about Ted Williams.

Earl Weaver and Sparky Anderson were very good managers.

jabrch
03-29-2010, 10:13 AM
The top managers on this list, for the most part, are the teams with the biggest payrolls (major and minor league) and the most organizational talent. I'm sure there are loads of great managers out there who would show much better if they ran the Red Sox or the Yanks. And if you take the Great Terry Francona and put him in Pittsburgh, they still suck.

Managers are overrated in terms of how much credit they get for wins or losses. I like Guillen's personality for this club, but I don't believe he is worth any more or less wins than most guys on that top 10-15 list. Same is true for a guy like Francona in Boston. I'm not convinced that Trey Hillman doesn't win 95+ with that talent.

Players should be held much more responsible for results than managers, but you can't fire all your players - so sometimes teams just need to do something.

FloridaTigers
03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't know about Leyland at #5. He's not a very good in game manager. He's also loyal to a fault, refuses to part with veterans who aren't producing, and can't keep any sort of consistent lineup together. He's good at "firing up" his guys, but he's not #5. Maybe #15, or #10 at highest, but certainly not #5.

gobears1987
03-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I think if you or I managed the Yankee team Girardi has, we would've won the 2009 World Series too.

pythons007
03-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Girardi in the top 10 is insane. I don't care that he just won a WS. He's managed for 3 years! He managed the Yankees for 2, who buy their championships. However, I have to give him credit for managing the Marlins his first year and almost getting them to the playoffs. But that just gets him manager of the year NOT TOP 10!!!

I agree with most of the posters here, the Red Sox and Yankees are the two highest payroll teams which means better team overall. I would love to see how Francona and La Russa manage the likes of the Royals, Padres, Pirates, and Blue Jays.

Before taking over the Yankees, Torre was a god awful manager with IIRC 3 different teams!!! After "managing" the Yankees he's considered for the HOF!?!?! GMAB!