PDA

View Full Version : With Opening Day Approaching, Which Player is Driving Your Optimism?

TomBradley72
03-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Which member of rosterhas you the most excited for the White Sox in 2010?

jabrch
03-27-2010, 10:24 AM
For me, it has to be Peavy. We have always discussed MB as a #1/#2 type guy. I love him - and am glad he is here, but he's probably never going to win a Cy Young or even finish Top 3. Peavy, however, alreday has won 1, and has the potential to put up amazing numbers. Having him AND MB, along with Danks/Floyd makes me optimistic that we won't get blown out too often. Do that, hang around in games, and you will win a lot.

russ99
03-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Obviously Jake Peavy is #1, no contest.

If I could pick a second player, I'll go with Alex Rios since he seems to have his confidence back, and getting him back to his usual level of production at the plate would be a big boost to the offense.

twinslayer
03-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Peavy by far is number one. I have a lot of optimism about Beckham as well just because of his attitude towards the game. Last year, he walked on to the Sox and started just terribly. He worked his way out of it and showed that he can step out of slumps. Any player who can get out of a slump under that much pressure can play. He's a competitor. And I agree that Rios also has me fired up just because we all know what he is capable of doing. Hopefully last year was just a fluke.

WhiteSox5187
03-27-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't know if I would say this guy is driving my optimism, but I am very curious to see how Andruw Jones does this year.

PalehosePlanet
03-27-2010, 12:36 PM
The more I think about it I no longer think that Gavin Floyd is just the most under-rated player on the Sox, but the entire AL. I think he will pitch at a #1 or #2 level this year, and with some luck and support, will finish top five in CY voting.

Also, I think Rios rebounds/responds huge.

I won't lie though, I'm really, really worried about the DH spot and Teahen's defense.

DSpivack
03-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Echoing what others have said, Peavy and Beckham, the best pitcher and hitter on the team.

BleacherBandit
03-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't know if I would say this guy is driving my optimism, but I am very curious to see how Andruw Jones does this year.

Same exact player for me for the same reason. I'm curious to see if Jones helps us out at all.

Thatguyoverthere
03-27-2010, 01:00 PM
The more I think about it I no longer think that Gavin Floyd is just the most under-rated player on the Sox, but the entire AL. I think he will pitch at a #1 or #2 level this year, and with some luck and support, will finish top five in CY voting.

Also, I think Rios rebounds/responds huge.

I won't lie though, I'm really, really worried about the DH spot and Teahen's defense.I agree about Floyd being underrated. For example, I was reading ESPN magazine's 2010 season predictions and they have Floyd having an awful year because his HR rate since 2006 is pretty high. That's a pretty misleading stat, considering the enormous difference between the mental makeup of Floyd right now and Floyd three or four years ago. The guy is leaps and bounds more confident now, and I believe he will surprise a lot of people this year.

doublem23
03-27-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm just happy because its baseball! The sun is coming out, the air is getting warmer. Time for another summer. :sunshine:

Its Quentin for me. If he stays healthy and hits like he did in 2008 and anchors our offense, we're going to cruise to the play-offs.

DSpivack
03-27-2010, 01:08 PM
I agree about Floyd being underrated. For example, I was reading ESPN magazine's 2010 season predictions and they have Floyd having an awful year because his HR rate since 2006 is pretty high. That's a pretty misleading stat, considering the enormous difference between the mental makeup of Floyd right now and Floyd three or four years ago. The guy is leaps and bounds more confident now, and I believe he will surprise a lot of people this year.

Yeah, every year I play the latest version of whatever baseball computer game, which is obviously based on stats, and every year Buehrle is predicted to fall off a map.

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Sergio Santos.

Something about a good story like this one has me optimistic.

tick53
03-27-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm paralyzed by the possibilities :smile:. In this order:

1. Jones
2. Quentin
3. Peavey
4. Rios
5. Pierre

JermaineDye05
03-27-2010, 01:23 PM
The two mid-season acquisitions from last season:

Jake Peavy and Mark Kotsay

:tongue:

Peavy and Rios have me very excited.

GoGoCrede
03-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Gavin Floyd. :smile: He is my favorite Sox player, and I really think he has a chance for 15-17 wins.

RedPinStripes
03-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Tough to say for me. So many guys that CAN be great players and very likeable. Peavy, Beckham, Rios, Jones, AJ Buehrle, Pierre, Pauly, Danks, Floyd. I don't know where to start.

I like this team. A little more speed then before and the best rotation in the division.

SephClone89
03-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Gavin Floyd. :smile: He is my favorite Sox player, and I really think he has a chance for 15-17 wins.

I'm a big Floyd fan, too. I know the media is all about how great Danks is going to be, but I prefer Gavin.

twinslayer
03-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm just happy because its baseball! The sun is coming out, the air is getting warmer. Time for another summer. :sunshine:

Its Quentin for me. If he stays healthy and hits like he did in 2008 and anchors our offense, we're going to cruise to the play-offs.

The sun? Goodness, you can't be living in the midwest.

asindc
03-27-2010, 01:59 PM

I'm surprised it took this many posts to get to TCQ. He is the first guy I thought of when I read the thread title. I am expecting a big year out of him, possibly better than 2008. I also look forward to Peavy, Beckham, and Rios.

chisox117
03-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Rios.

HomeFish
03-27-2010, 02:24 PM
"which player is driving your optimism" makes a big assumption about the person you're asking it to, which might not be true for everybody...

I guess I think Buehrle will probably have a good or at least OK season, unless he gets injured.

doublem23
03-27-2010, 02:51 PM
The sun? Goodness, you can't be living in the midwest.

Au contraire, unlike the rest of the country, the sun here disappears for most of winter, so when it comes back out it is reason for celebration. Plus, Chicago in the summer is probably the best place in the whole world.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-27-2010, 03:32 PM
This season looks to be MUCH better than last season IMO, so I'm excited about a lot.

1. Beckham
2. Peavy
3. Quentin
4. Rios
5. Jones (just want to see how he does)

adding a 6 doesn't seem right, but I really think Alexei will bounce back and produce the way we thought he would coming off his great rookie season.

TomBradley72
03-27-2010, 04:07 PM
This season looks to be MUCH better than last season IMO, so I'm excited about a lot.

1. Beckham
2. Peavy
3. Quentin
4. Rios
5. Jones (just want to see how he does)

adding a 6 doesn't seem right, but I really think Alexei will bounce back and produce the way we thought he would coming off his great rookie season.

I agree with you on Alexei...I think in his second full season at SS/3rd full season in MLB/U.S...he'll have break out season this year...emerge as one of the best shortstops in the AL.

Dibbs
03-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Peavy. If we didn't have him, I don't think we would have a chance at the division.

WhiteSox5187
03-27-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm a big Floyd fan, too. I know the media is all about how great Danks is going to be, but I prefer Gavin.

Danks has the stuff to be an ace who anchors the staff for a long time and really, could maybe have a Cy Young or two before all is said and done. But Floyd is a solid #3 guy in my opinion. Those two are the guys you build around for the future (though Buerhle and Peavy aren't old either, so we should be set 1-4 until Buerhle becomes an FA or wants to retire).

soxfanreggie
03-27-2010, 05:38 PM
In driving my optimism, Peavy. Any time you add a guy who can win 20 games and a Cy Young, you're going to be more optimistic.

As far as excitement, I'm excited to see the progress of Beckham, Danks, and Floyd. Continued improvement by Danks and Floyd could give us the best 4-man rotation in all of baseball. The thought of that is real exciting.

IlliniSox4Life
03-27-2010, 07:02 PM
My list is pretty similar to everyone elses.

I'm just wondering what interesting thing we will see from Mark Buehrle this year. The guy has done something just about every year to add onto his list of "things". From the perfecto to hitting a home run to saving a WS game to a no hitter to a 99 min game to a Wheaties box to a bunch of other little things. I'm hoping for a 20 win season this year.

Corlose 15
03-27-2010, 07:19 PM
My list is pretty similar to everyone elses.

I'm just wondering what interesting thing we will see from Mark Buehrle this year. The guy has done something just about every year to add onto his list of "things". From the perfecto to hitting a home run to saving a WS game to a no hitter to a 99 min game to a Wheaties box to a bunch of other little things. I'm hoping for a 20 win season this year.

I'm curious to see how the shoulder strengthening program Buehrle went through this offseason affects his durability this year. He hasn't been very strong in the 2nd half of the season lately and his slide after the perfect game last season helped to push the Sox out of the race.

Slappy
03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Hard to pick one player, and I agree with pretty much everyone's list of players to be optimistic about. But, I will say I am excited to see what Kotsay can do out there. He's having a sick spring, make of it what you will, but I think he is going to have a solid year. (Also, I know it's stupid but I'm actually playing a franchise in MLB the Show 10, and after 30 regular season games he's leading the MLB in avg. and hits.)

Overall though, I just feel that this is a pretty well put together team, so I'm excited. I think Kenny is definitely hitting his stride as a GM, and the team on paper shows he put some serious thought and effort into building this team, especially given the budget etc. Like KW has said himself before, he has been guilty of just throwing talent at a wall and seeing if it works, and that's not the case this year.

I'm kind of a late-comer as to paying close attention to all the offseason moves, rumors etc. like I have been recently, but I feel like this is one of the more special teams in recent memory (on paper at least) and can really compete well if everyone performs like they're capable.

Here's to coming out of the gates ready to pounce! :gulp:

soxnut1018
03-27-2010, 08:42 PM
1. Peavy
2. No BA/Wise

Daver
03-27-2010, 08:59 PM
I have little optimism about this team right now.

RedPinStripes
03-27-2010, 09:26 PM

I 'd say they have enough to win the division. Not sure about anything past that yet.

Jim Shorts
03-27-2010, 09:48 PM
I agree with you on Alexei...I think in his second full season at SS/3rd full season in MLB/U.S...he'll have break out season this year...emerge as one of the best shortstops in the AL.

I'm glad to see others say it. I was getting the vibe most are down on Alexei. I think he went through his soph slump, compounded with the position change. This season, with Vizquel around, I expect him to shine.

guillen4life13
03-27-2010, 11:06 PM
1. Peavy
2. Rios
3. Beckham
4. Quentin
5. Danks

Hon. Mentions: Floyd, Hudson, Putz, Jones

guillensdisciple
03-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Peavy, Rios, and Beckham. Those guys will do a world of hurt on the opposition this year.

pudge
03-28-2010, 04:39 AM

Just the fact that so many people are listing Rios as someone to look forward to watching, I'm extremely skeptical myself. Spring training spawns some blind optimism (someone actually mentioned being excited about Kotsay??). Nobody is talking Teahen - what if Rios and Teahen's spring stats were reversed? Just goes to show how silly it is. Having said that, there's no reason this team doesn't have a serious shot at the Central. In terms of watching players, Peavy is the obvious choice, and I enjoy watching Beckham and Quentin approach their at bats. I fear this lineup will be cringe-inducing though.

RedPinStripes
03-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Just the fact that so many people are listing Rios as someone to look forward to watching, I'm extremely skeptical myself. Spring training spawns some blind optimism (someone actually mentioned being excited about Kotsay??). Nobody is talking Teahen - what if Rios and Teahen's spring stats were reversed? Just goes to show how silly it is. Having said that, there's no reason this team doesn't have a serious shot at the Central. In terms of watching players, Peavy is the obvious choice, and I enjoy watching Beckham and Quentin approach their at bats. I fear this lineup will be cringe-inducing though.

Pauly's on a contract year. Make sure you drafted him in your fantasy baseball league. :D:

Vestigio
03-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Personally, this season hinges on how well Quentin can hit the ball. We all know that 1-5, the Sox have one of the best rotations, but the offense is spoty. In order to win, we have to have Quentin step up, like he did in 2008, if we are to win the division. So thats why I'm the most optimistic with TCQ

Rdy2PlayBall
03-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Just the fact that so many people are listing Rios as someone to look forward to watching, I'm extremely skeptical myself. Spring training spawns some blind optimism (someone actually mentioned being excited about Kotsay??). Nobody is talking Teahen - what if Rios and Teahen's spring stats were reversed? Just goes to show how silly it is. Having said that, there's no reason this team doesn't have a serious shot at the Central. In terms of watching players, Peavy is the obvious choice, and I enjoy watching Beckham and Quentin approach their at bats. I fear this lineup will be cringe-inducing though.I think it would take Rios career stats and Teahens career stats being reversed also, to see a reverse in optimism. Rios is a career all-star with one down year, and Teahen is an average player who showed some potential at one point. I'm actually starting to be a little more optimistic that Teahen is starting to heat up with the bat right now. If he got his average up to .300 by the end of spring, I don't see how anyone could not show some optimism. Spring training isn't IMPORTANT, but it is far from meaningless.

WhiteSox1989
03-28-2010, 11:19 PM
As others have said, Peavy and Quentin.

oeo
03-28-2010, 11:36 PM

Teahen has been hitting really well the last week.

Frontman
03-29-2010, 07:22 AM
The rotation impresses me. Rios, Beckham, and Quentin are all impressing me.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Peavy mostly. Andruw Jones 2nd.....

April 5 can't get here soon enough.

TomBradley72
03-29-2010, 08:59 AM
2. No BA/Wise

+ No Betemit, Lillibridge (on the 25 man), Colon, Contreras ('09 version), Fields, Owens, Gobble

pudge
03-29-2010, 08:12 PM
I think it would take Rios career stats and Teahens career stats being reversed also, to see a reverse in optimism.

Really? Take a look at these two lines of 162 career averages:

.281 .330 16 HR 77 RBI 44 BB 114 SO
.269 .331 14 HR 70 RBI 52 BB 137 SO

So again, if you're excited about Rios and not Teahen, it makes no sense in my humble opinion. I personally am fearful of both, but I hope they both have career years.

BadBobbyJenks
03-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Was already sold on our pitching in December, Rios is making me optimistic this offense wont be horrible.

oeo
03-29-2010, 10:45 PM

So again, if you're excited about Rios and not Teahen, it makes no sense in my humble opinion. I personally am fearful of both, but I hope they both have career years.

What we need from Rios is not a career year, but for him to perform like he did before he got his big payday. The dude came close to 200 hits a few years ago. I personally think it's all about motivation, and it's hard to argue with the Sox's ability to motivate.

pudge
03-30-2010, 02:49 AM
What we need from Rios is not a career year, but for him to perform like he did before he got his big payday. The dude came close to 200 hits a few years ago. I personally think it's all about motivation, and it's hard to argue with the Sox's ability to motivate.

Do the Sox have some magical ability to motivate that I'm unaware of? If we're going to point to the numbers and say Rios just needs financial motivation, is that really the type of player/person we're looking forward to counting on?

He may be more motivated to prove himself with a new club, but it's quite possible the dude just isn't as good as everyone thinks he is. I do agree that we don't necessarily need a career year, assuming others in the lineup step up as expected - if Rios can play solid CF and just hit .280, he's miles ahead of Brian Anderson who killed us in '06.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-30-2010, 03:34 AM

So again, if you're excited about Rios and not Teahen, it makes no sense in my humble opinion. I personally am fearful of both, but I hope they both have career years.Umm? Alex Rios is a better player than Teahen. That's it. I don't really understand what your trying to get at. You do realize the slump year trashed a lot of his stats? Rios is an All-Star calaber player and is proven... Teahen needs to prove himself still.

Rios is also a good CF, Teahen is average (at best) at 3rd. I would have been excited about Rios even if he sucked this ST... I'm excited about everyone, I'm overly optimistic, and thought it showed. (until the season gets going of course :P)

khan
03-30-2010, 11:50 AM
It HAS TO BE Andruw Jones.

I mean, look at his Spring Training statistics! He's KILLING the ball out there!!

As we all know, Spring Training numbers should be taken seriously, for they have STRONG predictive powers to forecast a players' production in the regular season.

Thanks to the addition of Andruw Jones, I think I will be COMPELLED to triple my ticket purchases for 2010.

WhiteSoxFTW
03-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't consider my feelings optimism, but I am not entirely optimistic about this roster. There are WAY too many "ifs". Several have you said that "if" Rios and Teahen to have career years. That's overly optimistic in my opinion. The 2010 White Sox need a lot of things to come together for the division to belong to them. One of those things, Joe Nathan's injury, has already happened.

The feeling I do have about this team is excitement. I'm excited to go to opening day and see Mark Buerhle pitch, and Andruw Jones in the lineup. I'm excited to see Jake Peavy in a Sox uniform for his first full season. I'm excited to see Beckham at second base, and TCQ healthy again.

I'm glad I purchased a split package because the 2010 season should prove to be quite a ride, but I'm not overly optimistic. I hope that makes sense.

StillMissOzzie
03-31-2010, 12:20 AM

Me too. I understand all the enthusiasm for Peavy, but expectations are high already, so he's not really driving my optimism. Jones, on the other hand, was a ultra-low price, low risk signing (again, as opposed to Peavy) and I doubt anyone expected much more than a part-time DH.
From everything I have seen and heard about spring training, Jones reported to camp having lost weight, a great attitude, and with a chip on his shoulder to show the world that he still has something to play for, and something to offer. If he's having a good 2010 season, I see good things for the Sox this season.

SMO
:gulp:

pudge
03-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Umm? Alex Rios is a better player than Teahen. That's it. I don't really understand what your trying to get at. You do realize the slump year trashed a lot of his stats? Rios is an All-Star calaber player and is proven... Teahen needs to prove himself still.

Rios is also a good CF, Teahen is average (at best) at 3rd. I would have been excited about Rios even if he sucked this ST... I'm excited about everyone, I'm overly optimistic, and thought it showed. (until the season gets going of course :P)

I get what you're saying, and admittedly I'm taking defense out for a moment, but both of these guys have played nearly the same time in this league and have produced nearly identical 162 career averages (and it's not like one crappy year gave Rios those averages) and yet somehow in everyone's mind Rios is so amazingly better than a guy like Teahen. I think it's a trap, fool's gold, but I admire the optimism - I'm not down on the team, I just think the Rios admiration is interesting, and we'll see how long it lasts.

mzh
03-31-2010, 01:32 AM

Umm? Alex Rios is a better player than Teahen. That's it. I don't really understand what your trying to get at. You do realize the slump year trashed a lot of his stats? Rios is an All-Star calaber player and is proven... Teahen needs to prove himself still.

What we may forget with these stats, however, is that both Rios and Teahen are moving from pitcher-friendly locales to one of the best hitters parks in baseball. The Cell has been liable to turn 10-15 HR guys into 20-25 HR powers (case in point: Juan Uribe). I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the doubles hit by Rios and Teahen in Toronto and KC turn into homers here.

oeo
03-31-2010, 01:37 AM
What we may forget with these stats, however, is that both Rios and Teahen are moving from pitcher-friendly locales to one of the best hitters parks in baseball. The Cell has been liable to turn 10-15 HR guys into 20-25 HR powers (case in point: Juan Uribe). I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the doubles hit by Rios and Teahen in Toronto and KC turn into homers here.

Well, yes, that's going to happen, but there will also be doubles that will be caught. After all, the Cell is not a hitter's park, but a homerun hitter's park. It's a small park in which the ball flies extremely well in the summer, but that's about all that is advantage hitter.

A. Cavatica
03-31-2010, 02:29 AM
Joe Nathan.

asindc
03-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Joe Nathan.

Good call.:cool:

Jeckle
03-31-2010, 11:12 AM
My vote goes for Rios.