PDA

View Full Version : Gorzelanny AND Silva in Cubs rotation

JermaineDye05
03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100326&content_id=8954554&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

:puking:

Yikes. I didn't realize the Cubs were so depleted when it came to starting pitching. They better hope that Ted Lilly is ready soon.

munchman33
03-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Sucks for them.

Boondock Saint
03-26-2010, 06:53 PM
:gascan

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-26-2010, 07:48 PM
But this is the year, right?

Rdy2PlayBall
03-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Um hello.... MLB.com says they are the #5 pitching staff in baseball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/preview/y2010/index.jsp

far from depleted.

thomas35forever
03-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Wow. It's gonna be a long year for them.

BleacherBandit
03-26-2010, 10:51 PM
I've just gotta ask: How the hell is the Cubs' pitching staff in front of ours?

VMSNS
03-26-2010, 11:15 PM

Two words: Jeff Samardzija

WSox597
03-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Two words: Jeff Samardzija

Must be some sort of ND worship bleeding over.

On THIS planet, the Cubs don't have a better staff than the Sox.

white sox bill
03-27-2010, 08:08 AM

Hence the term "Fantasy Baseball"

cws05champ
03-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Hence the term "Fantasy Baseball"

And they pitch in the NL...ERA's will inherently be lower, which is good for mixed league fantasy. But no one in their right mind would actually take the Cubs staff over the Sox. They also have the Dodgers at #2? Whoever is writing this has no clue....

If you take the Sox staff and put them on the Cubs they would rank top 2-3.

munchman33
03-27-2010, 10:38 AM

It's top to bottom rankings, including pen. Contrary to the "popular" opinion on this site, the real popular opinion is our pen is probably going to blow chunks.

TomBradley72
03-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Wow.

Their #4 and #5 both have ERA's in the 6.00 range for 2008-2009+ I've heard they'll have 3 rookies in the bullpen with Marmol as the stopper, combined with an outfield of Soriano-Byrd-Fukudome...this definitely looks like "next year is here".

How does Hendry get a pass for building this pile of crap with such a high payroll?

doublem23
03-27-2010, 11:29 AM

far from depleted.

Those are fantasy rankings, bra.

BleacherBandit
03-27-2010, 11:57 AM
It's top to bottom rankings, including pen. Contrary to the "popular" opinion on this site, the real popular opinion is our pen is probably going to blow chunks.

The Cubs' bullpen is any better than ours? Whatever, I'm not going to lose sleep over this.

kevingrt
03-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Those are fantasy rankings, bra.

Way different then how an actual pitching staff performs. Fantasy pitchers are so heavily valued on their strikeouts it's ridiculous.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Way different then how an actual pitching staff performs. Fantasy pitchers are so heavily valued on their strikeouts it's ridiculous.I never understood that at all. What I remember is Vazquez was bad for us and we hated when he pitched big games... but hes somehow one of the top pitchers in the decade? I can't wait until the day where strikeouts just mean you threw 2 pitches too many.

shes
03-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Well they do predict the Sox to finish with 88 wins and a 4.01 ERA. I think that's even a bit optimistic, but probably close to what will happen.

cws05champ
03-27-2010, 01:46 PM
On XM radio baseball channel they had the White Sox bullpen ranked as one of the 5 best in baseball this year. I'm not one who takes ST stats as gospel, but I saw a stat on the last Sox game on TV; The Sox Bullpen ERA outside of Jenks was 1.83. If Jenks gets healthy and bounces back a little I think our BP will be pretty good.

Thatguyoverthere
03-27-2010, 01:56 PM
It's top to bottom rankings, including pen. Contrary to the "popular" opinion on this site, the real popular opinion is our pen is probably going to blow chunks.:rolleyes: The Cubs' bullpen is awful, it's Marmol and then nothing, and Marmol can't throw strikes.

Craig Grebeck
03-27-2010, 03:12 PM
I never understood that at all. What I remember is Vazquez was bad for us and we hated when he pitched big games... but hes somehow one of the top pitchers in the decade? I can't wait until the day where strikeouts just mean you threw 2 pitches too many.
You'll be waiting a long, long time.

Also, stop using "we" when referring to yourself, please. It's annoying and alienating.

sullythered
03-27-2010, 03:23 PM

Also, stop using "we" when referring to yourself, please. It's annoying and alienating.

He wasn't using the royal "we," he was clearly using a societal "we." And Javier Vazquez is not one of the best pitchers of the decade. He loses a **** load of games, and he's been on some good teams. He just gets a lot of strikeouts. He's more of a circus sideshow than anything else.

sullythered
03-27-2010, 03:26 PM

The Cubs pen is terrible. Worse than ours. And we don't have Gorzellany or Silva in our STARTING ROTATION. That is an Washington Nationals stuff.

sullythered
03-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Wow.

Their #4 and #5 both have ERA's in the 6.00 range for 2008-2009+ I've heard they'll have 3 rookies in the bullpen with Marmol as the stopper, combined with an outfield of Soriano-Byrd-Fukudome...this definitely looks like "next year is here".

How does Hendry get a pass for building this pile of crap with such a high payroll?

I know I'm being kind of a dick, but Zambrano's the stopper, Marmol is the closer.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-27-2010, 03:36 PM

I promise I'll never use "we" again...

Why are strikeouts so important? I realize they pretty much mean your good at pitching... it doesn't exactly mean good at winning games.

Craig Grebeck
03-27-2010, 03:39 PM
I promise I'll never use "we" again...

Why are strikeouts so important? I realize they pretty much mean your good at pitching... it doesn't exactly mean good at winning games.
Because it is far, far more common for a guy like Vazquez to be a good pitcher than a guy like Buehrle. Unfortunately for Vaz, he's been killed by poor defenses behind him and a proclivity for gopherballs.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Because it is far, far more common for a guy like Vazquez to be a good pitcher than a guy like Buehrle. Unfortunately for Vaz, he's been killed by poor defenses behind him and a proclivity for gopherballs.True... It's also possible for a bad pitcher to pitch into luck and get a lot wins. I don't think strikeouts are the best way to judge a pitcher... but I can't exactly think of a perfect one. I think ERA is more important than strikeouts.

Craig Grebeck
03-27-2010, 03:52 PM
True... It's also possible for a bad pitcher to pitch into luck and get a lot wins. I don't think strikeouts are the best way to judge a pitcher... but I can't exactly think of a perfect one. I think ERA is more important than strikeouts.
So does everybody.

Taliesinrk
03-27-2010, 04:13 PM

I don't think it's a matter of waiting... I think it's a matter of talking to fans in the bleachers vs. pitching coaches. I know the pitching coaches that I've had have K's way down on their list of priorities as to what they value.

I took it to mean (and thought it was fairly clear) that "we" was used as "the majority of WSI". It certainly seemed like that, from what I remember.

Because it is far, far more common for a guy like Vazquez to be a good pitcher than a guy like Buehrle. Unfortunately for Vaz, he's been killed by poor defenses behind him and a proclivity for gopherballs.

Maybe true, but I feel like it holds true moreso for closers where you don't want contact. I mean, if you're looking for longevity, you could say it's far more common for a guy like Vazquez to flame out after a couple years (see: Prior, Wood, etc.) Power/"stuff" pitchers (I don't have stats here) seem to be injured, flame out more frequently, walk more hitters, and give up a lot more HRs (see: Vazquez, a ton of others). I feel like that statement says, "you're more likely to be a better pitcher if you don't allow the other team to make contact with the ball"... of course that's true, but there's more to the story.
As for the unbolded part, I'd like to disagree, but honestly haven't seen enough of his time apart from the Sox to make that statement.

True... It's also possible for a bad pitcher to pitch into luck and get a lot wins. I don't think strikeouts are the best way to judge a pitcher... but I can't exactly think of a perfect one. I think ERA is more important than strikeouts.

There obviously isn't a "perfect one", but there are definitely better ones (I'd think WHIP and K/BB ratio would be good starts - the latter being a better overall indicator).

So does everybody.

While everyone may, the point is that K's are still overvalued proportionally to stats like ERA.

RadioheadRocks
03-30-2010, 10:43 PM

far from depleted.

Maybe if one of the four teams above them is the Ippolito School of Cosmetology... :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
03-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Some misguided individuals with an advanced degree in quantum mechanics apparently get their jollies over strikeouts.

They think that bad things can only happen if a ball is actually put into play.

Unfortunately in the real world baseballs ARE going to be put into play...that's why you have eight guys behind you.

I've never understood it either since many of the same folks, especially the eggheads at BP who gush over strikeouts are the same folks bitching about overusing pitchers and running up pitch counts.

Geez you think throwing anywhere from three to six or seven pitchers per batter to get a strikeout is doing a pitchers arm any good? Duh!

Nothing wrong with strikeouts by the way just that some of these "baseball savants" LOL think they are the be all and end all and if you don't have a staff of strikeout artists well then you can't win ****. (That's what their computer says :D:)

Lip

mzh
03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Some misguided individuals with an advanced degree in quantum mechanics apparently get their jollies over strikeouts.

Unfortunately in the real world baseballs ARE going to be put into play...that's why you have eight guys behind you.

I've never understood it either since many of the same folks, especially the eggheads at BP who gush over strikeouts are the same folks bitching about overusing pitchers and running up pitch counts.

Geez you think throwing anywhere from three to six or seven pitchers per batter to get a strikeout is doing a pitchers arm any good? Duh!

Nothing wrong with strikeouts by the way just that some of these "baseball savants" LOL think they are the be all and end all and if you don't have a staff of strikeout artists well then you can't win ****. (That's what their computer says :D:)

Lip
Case in point: our 2005 Sox. Only 1 guy over 150 K's (JC, 154). But that team only won because of it's powerhouse offense anyway!

Case 2: 2003 Marlins. Team highs for K's were 151 and 152.

What these teams have in common? Solid and consistent but not necessarily lights out pitching, and while their hitting didn't have any superpowers they had the perfect balance of speed, power, great situational backups, and overall solid players (Pierre/Podsednik, Konerko/Lowell, Cabrera/Ozuna, Dye/Lee). the 10 Sox could be very similar to these teams, even better since we play the Royals and Tribe 36 times, if we can get that perfect balance of everything.

BadBobbyJenks
03-31-2010, 02:04 AM

Lip

I think it is a pretty simple concept. Guys who miss more bats tend to be better than guys who don't. No quantum physics required, but I enjoyed your fresh rant.

DrCrawdad
03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100326&content_id=8954554&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

:puking:

Yikes. I didn't realize the Cubs were so depleted when it came to starting pitching. They better hope that Ted Lilly is ready soon.

What's happened the amazing depth in pitching the Cubbies were ballyhooed as having each of the last two seasons?

Darn Global Warming made that amazingly deep reservoir evaporate overnight!

soltrain21
04-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Looking at Soto for the first time this Spring. Jeez - he is very small. He is like, half the size he used to be.

4 points
04-17-2010, 09:45 AM
As of today, 04/17/2010, both Silva and Gorzelanny have lower ERA`s than any starter on our staff, go figure.:scratch:

Boondock Saint
04-17-2010, 09:51 AM
As of today, 04/17/2010, both Silva and Gorzelanny have lower ERA`s than any starter on our staff, go figure.:scratch:

Gorzelanny has faced the Reds in his only start, and Silva has faced the Reds and Astros in his two starts. It's hardly worth mentioning.

Dick Allen
04-17-2010, 10:31 AM

Pitching in the NL with a small sample size can have that effect.

rwcescato
04-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Sucks for them.

We got our own problems right now. If we cant win 2 games in a row its gonna be a long season.