PDA

View Full Version : Tropicana Field trip advice

illinibk
03-26-2010, 09:10 AM
The Mrs. and I are making a trip down to Florida in a few weeks and taking in a game at Tropicana Field.

Any WSIers live in the area or been to a game there before? I'm looking for some general ideas on what to do before/after the game. Also, how is the stadium, is it easy to move up to better seats, are the fans friendly, know baseball etc.? Are there any must have foods to try while at the stadium? And most importantly, do they have churros?

I appreciate any and all advice or suggestions.

ewokpelts
03-26-2010, 09:34 AM
free parking in some lots.

swisherfan
03-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I will actually be there end of May for the game on the 29th with my kids....I have been there twice before....it's amazing that the fans believe they are the greatest ever....because of recent success they have become a lot more lively....we got a lot of heckling last year, doesn't bother me that much so no big deal here....food is OK, nothing special....moving around is more difficult because they are drawing more fans, lower level especially....parking is really easy by the way....a few blocks away you can find bars....not in the greatest part of town, but hey we go to the south side of Chicago......have fun,

cws05champ
03-26-2010, 10:37 AM
The Mrs. and I are making a trip down to Florida in a few weeks and taking in a game at Tropicana Field.

Any WSIers live in the area or been to a game there before? I'm looking for some general ideas on what to do before/after the game. Also, how is the stadium, is it easy to move up to better seats, are the fans friendly, know baseball etc.? Are there any must have foods to try while at the stadium? And most importantly, do they have churros?

I appreciate any and all advice or suggestions.
For most series excluding Red Sox/Yanks you can buy the lowest price seats and move wherever you want. Stadium is not great it self, but they have a pretty nice bar inside near CF. There is a bar/restaurant across the street (Ferg's, I think it's called) that has indoor and outdoor areas before and after games....and tailgating is easy there with free parking for cars with more than 2 people in them.
Food is decent but VERY expensive...like $7-8 for a jumbo dog and $8+ for a beer. Eat and drink before you go in if possible.

Bruizer
03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Don't sit next to anyone who has a cowbell. :cool:

ewokpelts
03-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Don't sit next to anyone who has a cowbell. :cool:they have a SUPER-cowbell giveaway this year.

illinibk
03-26-2010, 11:51 AM
they have a SUPER-cowbell giveaway this year.
Whew, dodged a bullet on that one. We're going to Joe Maddon glasses night.

Whappeh
03-26-2010, 03:46 PM
You get free parking if you have 4 or more in your car, often times you can stop and grab two folks walking into the stadium to ride in your car to get free parking.

Cowbells are everywhere. You can't avoid them.

Fans are pretty crappy, tbh.

LITTLE NELL
03-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Live in Florida and see the Sox every year at the Trop.
Downtown is only a mile to the east of the Trop, so take a walk out to the the St. Pete pier. Some nice hotels across from the main city park and a nice shopping center in the north part of the downtown area.
If you have time head up to Tampa and visit Channelside and the Aquarium, a short trolley ride and you are in Ybor City, the old cigar making center of the world which is now the trendy part of Tampa.
Busch Gardens is a short ride north of downrown Tampa.
Have a good time.

jmeneghini1433
03-27-2010, 01:50 AM
I was there in 2005 when they were facing the Marlins and was able to move anywhere in the park considering there was no more than 12,000 people there. The food was alright and was cheap. I also got to see Juan Pierre leg out a bases clearing triple.

SaltyPretzel
03-27-2010, 09:06 AM
If you like tapas, there's a Spanish restaurant pretty close in St. Pete. It's in a really cool, old hotel and the food is really good.

http://www.ceviche.com/1828

CanBuehrleWait
03-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Live in Florida and see the Sox every year at the Trop.
Downtown is only a mile to the east of the Trop, so take a walk out to the the St. Pete pier. Some nice hotels across from the main city park and a nice shopping center in the north part of the downtown area.
If you have time head up to Tampa and visit Channelside and the Aquarium, a short trolley ride and you are in Ybor City, the old cigar making center of the world which is now the trendy part of Tampa.
Busch Gardens is a short ride north of downrown Tampa.
Have a good time.

Second this. Baywalk in Downtown St Pete is also a nice little area to check out

LITTLE NELL
03-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Second this. Baywalk in Downtown St Pete is also a nice little area to check out
Thanks for the name of that shopping center I mentioned, I forgot the name. Some good restaurants in Baywalk including a deli where you can get great corned beef and pastrami sandwiches. There is also a pretty good Italian restaurant.

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2010, 10:32 PM
If you like tapas, there's a Spanish restaurant pretty close in St. Pete. It's in a really cool, old hotel and the food is really good.

http://www.ceviche.com/1828

That place is good but I prefer Columbia Restaurant on the pier:

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/st_petersburg.asp

Real good food there too, give their cuban sandwich a try.

Sox players are known to show up here, I met Jose Contreras here back in '07 had a nice 5 minunte chat with him.

Check it out.

Bump34
03-29-2010, 10:51 AM
I think free parking for most games has gone the way of the regularly scheduled Sunday doubleheader...

Ferg's is a good place to go before the game to eat and drink... its across from the Trop on Central Ave... Baywalk is a shell of its former self... nothing to write home about... although there are a few new places in the downtown area you might want to check out... Crowley's is an Irish Pub that just opened. If you want to stay in St. Pete... the Vinoy is an awesome place... Hotel Indigo is nice too...

There are some nice places on the beach too... Tradewinds... Don Cesar...

Channelside is another overrated spot in downtown Tampa... a few restaurants and bars closed down... my favorite place in downtown Tampa is Hattricks...

International Plaza in Tampa near the airport... has an assortment of restaurants...bars... and shops...

Also check out the Rays website to see what you can bring into the Trop food and drink wise to save some cash...

Hope this helps...

RadioheadRocks
03-30-2010, 10:38 PM
While the park itself is nothing special, be sure to go to the landing in the center field stands and visit the stingray pool. :D: