PDA

View Full Version : Cubs make up how injuries happen. They have to.

soltrain21
03-25-2010, 08:12 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/03/cubs-lee-recovering-from-freak-back-injury.html

A chair breaking?!

mzh
03-25-2010, 08:58 PM
If Sammy Sosa can throw out his back sneezing, anything can happen in their minds :tongue:

jamokes
03-25-2010, 10:16 PM
The core of the cub team is getting older and they have a very bad track record with injuries.

cws05champ
03-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Is he throwing simulated double plays with a towel yet? That's when we can really call the Cubs Bull ****.

mantis1212
03-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Let's get a full inventory:

Back injury from broken chair
Hurt back while sneezing
Calf injury from exiting hot tub
Wrist(?) Injury while hopping chainlink fence
Wrist strain while instant messaging/texting

Am I missing any?

SOXPHILE
03-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Lets see, many years ago there was Steve Trout falling off the bike, or exercise bike. Jose Cardenal's eyelid injury because he was up all night due to a loud cricket in the dorm at spring training. Sosa's sneeze. Mike Remlinger caught his finger in a recliner. Kerry Wood fell down coming out of a hot tub. Ryan Dempster fell over the dugout railing. Didn't either Mell Hall or Dick Ruthven, or both, get injured fighting each other in the clubhouse ? I know Michael Barret did fighting Zambrano. Speaking of Zambrano, didn't that idiot suffer wrist injuries from carpal tunnel syndrome, due to all the internet communications he was doing with all the family and friends back in Venezuela? Mark Prior's "Achilles injury" that was officially reported, when everyone knew it was the arm.

Mendoza Line
03-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Don't forget Kyle Farnsworth landing on the DL after kicking an electric fan.

cws05champ
03-25-2010, 10:53 PM

Hurt back while sneezing

Am I missing any?

It was a toe injury jumping the dugout fence after a victory.
Ankle injury while hopping to catch a ball (guess who?).

ChiSoxGirl
03-25-2010, 10:59 PM

Hurt back while sneezing

Am I missing any?

Don't forget Kyle Farnsworth landing on the DL after kicking an electric fan.

It was a toe injury jumping the dugout fence after a victory.
Ankle injury while hopping to catch a ball (guess who?).

:rolling: This is all comical.

StillMissOzzie
03-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Lets see, many years ago there was Steve Trout falling off the bike, or exercise bike. Jose Cardenal's eyelid injury because he was up all night due to a loud cricket in the dorm at spring training. Sosa's sneeze. Mike Remlinger caught his finger in a recliner. Kerry Wood fell down coming out of a hot tub. Ryan Dempster fell over the dugout railing. Didn't either Mell Hall or Dick Ruthven, or both, get injured fighting each other in the clubhouse ? I know Michael Barret did fighting Zambrano. Speaking of Zambrano, didn't that idiot suffer wrist injuries from carpal tunnel syndrome, due to all the internet communications he was doing with all the family and friends back in Venezuela? Mark Prior's "Achilles injury" that was officially reported, when everyone knew it was the arm.

I may be wrong, but I thought that Jose being kept up all night from the cricket and having his eyelid stuck shut were two separate incidents, but it's a hoot either way.

SMO
:bandance:

thomas35forever
03-25-2010, 11:05 PM
I swear to God these injuries can only happen to the Cubs.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Is he throwing simulated double plays with a towel yet? That's when we can really call the Cubs Bull ****.

No, but a source told me that Monday he will practice hitting into them.:D:

slavko
03-27-2010, 11:32 PM
I may be wrong, but I thought that Jose being kept up all night from the cricket and having his eyelid stuck shut were two separate incidents, but it's a hoot either way.

SMO
:bandance:

Surreal and hilarious, but people in glass houses shouldn't break their hand hitting a bat.

guillensdisciple
03-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Give this props for being hilarious.

Frontman
03-28-2010, 10:39 AM
And then they wonder why they're so popular across the country. Cub love is like loving the Three Stoogies......

Woofer
03-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I seem to remember somebody getting hurt after kicking a metal dumpster or something like that. Do they ever have a player get hurt playing baseball?

Moses_Scurry
03-28-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty sure somebody (I think Farnsworth, but I'm not sure) broke a bone in their foot because they were punting baseballs.

goon
03-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm so happy I don't have to cheer for these losers. Pathetic.

roylestillman
03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Well let's not forget Jose Ascanio getting beaten up in the parking lot of the Circle K and of course Felix Pie's twisted testicle.

thomas35forever
03-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm so happy I don't have to cheer for these losers. Pathetic.
Well no one has to. Millions of people just choose to.

goon
03-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Well no one has to. Millions of people just choose to.

Yeah, that's true. I was raised a Sox fan, I guess I just feel like growing up in Illinois, you probably start to like one team, then stick with them. I'd be curious to know how many Sox fans were previously Cubs fan or the other way around.

guillensdisciple
03-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, that's true. I was raised a Sox fan, I guess I just feel like growing up in Illinois, you probably start to like one team, then stick with them. I'd be curious to know how many Sox fans were previously Cubs fan or the other way around.

I used to be a fan of both, now I despise the other.

CLUBHOUSE KID
03-28-2010, 10:58 PM
I seem to remember somebody getting hurt after kicking a metal dumpster or something like that. Do they ever have a player get hurt playing baseball?

Soriano hopping to 3rd base (Injured between 2nd and 3rd)

Nellie_Fox
03-29-2010, 01:38 AM
I used to be a fan of both, now I despise the other.I was a fan of both until I was about ten years old. Then I became aware that it was time to choose. I was ten in 1959.

cws05champ
03-29-2010, 09:57 AM
I used to be a fan of both, now I despise the other.

I have always been a Sox fan, but I did have season tickets for the Cubs one year as well. This was 10-12 years ago, and all it took for me to really hate the Cubs was hanging out with their fans for 10-15 games in that dump. I don't really hate the Cubs, it's the "fans" of the Cubs that I despise.

doublem23
03-29-2010, 10:01 AM
I was a fan of both until I was about ten years old. Then I became aware that it was time to choose. I was ten in 1959.

That's eerily similar to how things went down for me, too. I can distinctly remember a time when I was partial to both the Sox and Cubs... My mom has a photo of me in a Cubs t-shirt when I was something like 6. I turned 10 in 1993, and the allure of that season was too much to resist. Things really got out of control 6 years later, when I found WSI. :cool:

voodoochile
03-29-2010, 10:01 AM
One year back in the 70's Jose Cardinal had to sit out spring training because "his eyelids were stuck together" on one of his eyes. Like a miracle on opening day he was all better which prompted Mike Royko to quip that he was miraculously healed when he heard the National Anthem and thought the opening words were "Jose can you see?" and presto he realized he could...

Moses_Scurry
03-29-2010, 10:06 AM

I used to like both and made the full Sox conversion around '86 when I would have been 13 yrs old.

Maybe it's just because I am a Sox fan, but I know a decent number of people who either followed both before becoming strictly Sox fans or who were cub fans that switched over to the Sox. However, I don't know a single person who made the reverse switch from the Sox to the cubs.

I have known a few people who were Sox fans that stopped following baseball, period, after the '94 strike. I lost touch with them, but I would suspect that they hopped back on the wagon by 2005.

goon
03-29-2010, 11:13 AM
However, I don't know a single person who made the reverse switch from the Sox to the cubs.

A friend of a mine used to watch the White Sox when he moved to Chicago, but quickly became a Cubs fan after that.
He didn't grow up in Illinois, he's from Indiana and moved to the North Side of Chicago sometime in his mid-twenties.

Maybe it had something to do with his proximity toward the team... not really sure. I'm a third generation Sox fan and my family has lived in the North Chicago/Waukegan/Libertyville area for the better part of a century.

Nellie_Fox
03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
However, I don't know a single person who made the reverse switch from the Sox to the cubs. There were A LOT of front runners who jumped to the Cubs in '69. I know some current Sox fans who vehemently deny that they were temporary Cubs fans in '69, but I know they were.

white sox bill
03-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I was NEVER a Northside fan, but I did find that team from 1969 and early 70's um....palatable. With the exception of Santo, I liked Banks,Williams, Fergie, Kessinger to name a few. Then again I was 9 yrs old and probably didn't know better

thomas35forever
03-29-2010, 04:12 PM
For awhile, I had a secondary interest in the Cubs. I was about 14 when I decided to renounce it.

QueerGirrl
03-29-2010, 04:46 PM
I have always been a Sox fan, but I did have season tickets for the Cubs one year as well. This was 10-12 years ago, and all it took for me to really hate the Cubs was hanging out with their fans for 10-15 games in that dump. I don't really hate the Cubs, it's the "fans" of the Cubs that I despise.

This is what happened to my gf and I. We had season tickets for two years (1999 and 2000) and it wasn't just the team sucking but the fans that really ended it for us. The night games became unbearable; you could feel the difference in the crowds from night to day. It was kinda crazy some nights; I remember all the throwing of trash on the field and the stoppage of play because of it and just the meanness of the crowd, you could feel tension in the air. We finally just donated the rest of our tickets to Cubs charity that last year.

I was one of those so called "I like them both" fans for most of my life. I grew up following both teams but half way thru 2000, I was done with the northside. We had always gone to Sox games even with being Cubs season ticket holders, we loved the park and it was always fun when we went. So as the Sox made their run for the division in 2000, we started following them. And the rest is history.

MARTINMVP
03-29-2010, 07:43 PM

I grew up a Cubs fan in 1992 (2nd grade), because the Cubs were on WGN each day and the Sox were on Sports Channel (except for about once a week when a Sox game would be on WGN) -

I started watching Cubs baseball during that summer when I wasn't outside and got to know Sandberg, Grace and Sosa. I was never a hard core baseball fan, but more of a casual. I also would watch the Sox when on WGN and really did think the whole "Good Guys in Black" was pretty cool and actually thought they were the cooler team, especially with Thomas, Ventura and Raines.

Except for the post season run in 2003, 2001 is when I slowly started to lose any real feeling I had for the Cubs. Some Cub fans will forget that prior to the 2003 run, Kerry Wood was already injury prone, and I had started to get tired of his act. I remember when they brought up Mark Prior in the middle of the 2002 season, for the sake of attendance because the team was doing so poorly (a lot of people thought Prior should have played the rest of the year in AAA). 2004 did it for me with the overall whining and the way they threw Steve Stone under the bus. I hadn't renounced my Cubdomness yet, but I was pretty much done with baseball. I didn't watch much of the 2005 season, except the entire post season run of the Sox (and did root for them, but didn't celebrate insane when they won). 2007 and 2008 I realized I was pretty much done when I didn't even care that they made the post season (thought I did think 2008 was neat since both teams made the playoffs, a first in my short life time and a first for many others much older than me).

I really started watching Sox ball last summer. The difference between then and previously was that I was no longer in school and working. I wanted to relax at night and decided last year to give baseball a try. The Sox were on and I just kind of started watching and it slowly grew from there. I'm not sure if it was Steve Stone that kept me interested or what, but I kind of just started watching with no vested interest until I started to realize that I might kind of like this team.

I think overall, I just started to feel that I didn't have that connection to Wrigley (my first ball game actually was in 92 or 93, when I went to Comiskey with my cousins). I had only been to Wrigley a few times in my life, and I kind of got the sense that the ivy, rooftops and 7th inning stretch was more important than actual baseball. I know that's not true, but I kind of got tired of the overall culture.

SOXPHILE
03-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I've always been a Sox fan, and the Cardinals were always my favorite NL team, 2nd favorite team overall. But I didn't hate the Cubs. After the Sox and Cardinals, I would hope they'd win. I used to watch them play in the day (and usually lose), and just say to myself it was OK, because the White Sox would be on that night, and that's the team/game I really cared about.

Then, 1984 happened, and about mid-way through that season, I began to hate the Cubs, their fans and everything they represented.

downstairs
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
I once completely screwed up my neck for weeks sneezing, so I guess I can't joke...

MARTINMVP
03-31-2010, 10:56 PM
I once completely screwed up my neck for weeks sneezing, so I guess I can't joke...

Easter morning last year, as I grabbed a towel to dry off my face I threw out the area between the shoulder blades. I completely froze and slowly walked to the bed and gingerly got myself to lie down, barely. Was in pain for about two weeks, I **** you not.

mzh
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Easter morning last year, as I grabbed a towel to dry off my face I threw out the area between the shoulder blades. Was in pain for about two weeks, I **** you not.
I tore a tendon in my finger on a scooter once, for what its worth :redneck

MARTINMVP
04-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I tore a tendon in my finger on a scooter once, for what its worth :redneck

At the very least, my upper back/lower neck thing happened as a result of poor posture at the computer desk all day.

doublem23
04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Looks like this rash of crazy injuries is spreading to other NL Central teams, as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Decent-pillows-might-have-shortened-Jeff-Suppan-?urn=mlb,233018