PDA

View Full Version : John Burkett to boycott all star game if selected

TheBigHurt
06-15-2002, 04:21 PM
If he selected, which is unlikely he says he will boycott the all star game to send a message to the union. Is this just the first of many players to boycott the game?

heres the arcticle-
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0615/1395315.html

WinningUgly!
06-15-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
If he selected, which is unlikely he says he will boycott the all star game to send a message to the union. Is this just the first of many players to boycott the game?

heres the arcticle-

Good for him, but it won't mean squat unless guys like Alex Rodrigez, Barry Bonds, Randy Johnson, etc. are in on the boycott.

Spiff
06-15-2002, 04:35 PM
I honestly couldn't care less whether they go on strike. Besides the obvious suckage perpetuated lately by the Sox, I'm sick of the stupid owners and the stupid players involved with this sport. I wish the freaking fans would go on strike and show them who makes them all what they are.

ISUSoxfan
06-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Anyone who is making over $1,000,000 to play baseball and goes on strike should be banned from the game for life.

Paulwny
06-15-2002, 04:48 PM
From the article

''I don't feel good about the whole thing,'' the 12-year veteran told The Globe. ''I'd rather spend three days with my family than go there.''

I guess 24/7 from Oct. to Feb. isn't enough time. Sorry your job is so demanding.

neal
06-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Anyone hear Farmer go off on Burkett on the radio? He basically said you have to make the team first before you can boycott the game. He then said how if he hated Selig so much, he shouldn't be playing baseball.

LongDistanceFan
06-16-2002, 03:59 PM
farmer gets to me sometimes............ but that would be sweet if all the big names boycott the game..............

Dadawg_77
06-17-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by neal
Anyone hear Farmer go off on Burkett on the radio? He basically said you have to make the team first before you can boycott the game. He then said how if he hated Selig so much, he shouldn't be playing baseball.

Realize Farmer gets paid indirectly from the All Star Game, ticket proceeds and other monies generated from the Game to Players pension fund, which I bet Farmer gets a check from (I am not sure on the pension rules). But thats one of the reason I don't think the boycott will go on, a couple players may say it, but I think the union leadership will clam the waters and get the stars to the game.

WinningUgly!
06-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
Anyone who is making over $1,000,000 to play baseball and goes on strike should be banned from the game for life.

It's not all about the big money guys. It's about young guys coming into the league who have yet to see the big paydays. It would be easy for a guy like John Burkett, who has already made his millions to turn his back on the younger players and say "screw it, I've already got mine." Long before Burkett's big money days, other players fought for his future rights...now it's his turn to fight for the future of others.

ISUSoxfan
06-17-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

It's not all about the big money guys. It's about young guys coming into the league who have yet to see the big paydays. It would be easy for a guy like John Burkett, who has already made his millions to turn his back on the younger players and say "screw it, I've already got mine." Long before Burkett's big money days, other players fought for his future rights...now it's his turn to fight for the future of others.
Another strike would ruin baseball, and there would be much less money to be made for the young players. Even the rookies could get by on much less than the league minimum. There is no reason to strike. The players complain about all kinds of BS, but they are getting paid to play baseball. They should be happy with that. They could be clearing even more money if they didn't waste it on their agents and union dues. Whatever they claim this next strike is about, the truth is that they are lucky to have the talent they do and they should appreciate the fans who pay them for it. The more money they make, the more fans pay to go to games, pricing some fans out of baseball. They need to disband the union, get rid of agents, and pay the players directly from the revenue they generate before the owners ever see it.

Soxheads
06-17-2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Spiff
I honestly couldn't care less whether they go on strike. Besides the obvious suckage perpetuated lately by the Sox, I'm sick of the stupid owners and the stupid players involved with this sport. I wish the freaking fans would go on strike and show them who makes them all what they are.

I feel the same way Spiff. I don't know why, but I do.

Dadawg_77
06-17-2002, 08:53 AM

Another strike would ruin baseball, and there would be much less money to be made for the young players. Even the rookies could get by on much less than the league minimum. There is no reason to strike. The players complain about all kinds of BS, but they are getting paid to play baseball. They should be happy with that. They could be clearing even more money if they didn't waste it on their agents and union dues. Whatever they claim this next strike is about, the truth is that they are lucky to have the talent they do and they should appreciate the fans who pay them for it. The more money they make, the more fans pay to go to games, pricing some fans out of baseball. They need to disband the union, get rid of agents, and pay the players directly from the revenue they generate before the owners ever see it.

Well I totally disagree here. The union isn't a waste of money since it has fought and won rights for the players and past players. Now is the economics of baseball off kilter, yes. Is it the players fault, no. Did Fehr force any of the owners to pay a guy 25 million dollar a year, no? Tom Hicks did that himself. The owners are trying to fix a problem of overpaying players on the backs of the players. The only thing the player association wants is a free market economy in baseball, the price of a service from a ball player is whatever the market is willing to bare.

It seems like ISUSoxFan would like to go back to the system where the players had no power and were expolilted by thier employers, sit players so you could avoid playing them bonuses and so forth. You are severely naive to think that this or any system will bring down the price of tickets, since the owner should/are basing the cost of attending a baseball game to what ever the market bares. The owners really don't care if they are pricing people out. As long as they sell the luxury boxes, they will make money. That is the economics of most professional sports these days.

Paulwny
06-17-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

The owners really don't care if they are pricing people out. As long as they sell the luxury boxes, they will make money. That is the economics of most professional sports these days.

Exactly, the ownwers no longer care about the average fan. TV contacts and luxury boxes are the profit makers.

WinningUgly!
06-17-2002, 10:58 AM

Wow, sounds like you own a team. :D: I'm not saying that the players are completely free of fault, nor am I saying that I want them to strike. It is, however, their responsibility to fight for every little scrap that they can get from the owners. The owners are not going to voluntarily hand over anything to the players. I'm sure they would go for your idea of lowering the league minimum for rookies, though--Make that sliver of pie that the players are getting even smaller. I don't know about you, but the reason I go to games, or watch on TV is the players. The players are the game. If owners are making obscene amounts of money off of luxury suites, cable deals, etc...it is thanks to the players. They should be paid accordingly.

PANFIRECRACKER
06-17-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt

heres the arcticle-

The choice will also boycott

No-Neck
06-17-2002, 11:59 AM
I got some real news for you guys. A majority of people in this country don't even give a sh*t about MLB and the players.

The salaries have gotten so out of wack, and the competition from other sports, have greatly eroded American Past-time.

Anybody who sticks up for a guy like Burkett, who wants to openly ruin the All_star game where fans have already paid for the event and openly ruin this Summer event right before it was to occur is a million dollar spoiled baby. This Burkett will hurt the fans just to get at the owners. He's not on my side.

Why aren't the two-sides at least trying to negotiate in good faith before going ballistic as soon as the microphone is turned on?

MLB has lost millions of fans in the last two decades, so if these two sides want to keep fighting (which is apparently what Mr. Burkett intends to do), then the sport will not command the respect or the support of the general public or the fan-base of the MLB.

The kids I instruct at my evening class show no interest in the major league teams. Except for Sammy Sosa, there is zero concern show for the Majors by these 12-13 year olds.

Does any here think that your average American is going to get upset over a strike by multi-million dollar professional sports athletes? With all the other sports crowding the baseball season?
If they strike in August, college and professional football is starting. I doubt very few persons other than hard-core baseball junkies will lose any sleep over it.

Frank Thomas suggested that the present contract should be extended one year, which is the only sane position I have heard so far.

All the posters here seem to suggest only a bloody fight is the answer. Nobody posts about good-faith negotiations as an alternative. Burkett seems to think that open threats are the first stage of negotiations. I'll bet he turned off two out of every three persons who heard this yesterday.

That bloody fight everyone here is itching to have will ruin the MLB. No average person is going to sympathize or cry over guys getting 5 million a year playing baseball, and batting .250 at that.
Be careful guys, you may get your wish.

voodoochile
06-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Let's see...

Prices and salaries so high the average fan can't attend often and no longer identifies with the players...

Players who only care about getting paid...

Owners who only care about money and refuse to acknowledge their massive increase in capital when discussing it...

Rampant steroid usage...

Threats to go on strike and cancel the AS game and/or the WS...

No serious negotiations by either side in a long time...

Sounds like baseball to me...

sigh...

raul12
06-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by No-Neck

All the posters here seem to suggest only a bloody fight is the answer. Nobody posts about good-faith negotiations as an alternative. Burkett seems to think that open threats are the first stage of negotiations. I'll bet he turned off two out of every three persons who heard this yesterday.

That bloody fight everyone here is itching to have will ruin the MLB. No average person is going to sympathize or cry over guys getting 5 million a year playing baseball, and batting .250 at that.
Be careful guys, you may get your wish.

hmm, you must not be around much....it's just that we realize that the best alternative (negotiating in good faith) was thrown out the windown a long long time ago.

the day, that baseball died. and we were singing, bye bye, miss american pie, drove my chevy to comiskey but the diamond was dry. and good ole boys went home and cried singing this will be the day that i died.

and the three men i admire the most, paulie, maggs, and the holy choice, they took the last train for the coast, the day, that baseball died.

No-Neck
06-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Good point Raul 12.

A long strike will kill the Chicago White Sox franchise. Our Huge 10,000 season ticket holder base will dip to 5,000, if that.

That will be in line with Florida and Montreal.

raul12
06-17-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by No-Neck
Good point Raul 12.

A long strike will kill the Chicago White Sox franchise. Our Huge 10,000 season ticket holder base will dip to 5,000, if that.

That will be in line with Florida and Montreal.

i'm not sure it will kill it, but it will hurt big time. the drop in attendance after 94 will only be a shadow of what is to come. if we're in first at the strike date....

and we all know the reason why we came back to the game...

:shammy
you rang?

ISUSoxfan
06-17-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

It seems like ISUSoxFan would like to go back to the system where the players had no power and were expolilted by thier employers, sit players so you could avoid playing them bonuses and so forth.

No, I would like to get rid of the idea of the owners paying the players. The revenue generated by tickets, concessions, TV, parking, and sponsorship should be divided between the owners and players. Off the top should come owners' overhead and players' travel expenses and health insurance. After that, 90% of the profit to players, and 10% to owners (to be split with GM and executives). The players money will be divided among teams based on what place they finish in. First place teams get the most money, last place teams get the least. The players on each team should be divided into 5 groups of 5. The top 5 players get the highest percentage of money, and each group of 5 after them gets progressively less. Set it up so that the top 5 players on the last place teams make more than the #3 group on the first place teams to avoid team stacking. Divide each round of the post season only among teams that are involved. Give at least 75% of the World Series money to the World Champs to keep players from prolonging the series to generate more revenue. The total amount of money that is paid out to the players depends on how much money baseball brings in. This is incentive for players to market themseves better. Free agency will not be about who is willing to pay $25 milion. It will be about who has a top 5 group roster spot to offer. There are still details to be worked out, such as in-season trades, IR, and players who split time between the majors and minors. I have ways to deal with these scenarios, but they are complicated and boring, so I'll skip the explanation.