PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Bell Conference Call

Lip Man 1
03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Just had a chance to participate in a conference call with Buddy Bell of the minor league system.

There were three Sox web sites involved asking questions.

I'll try to have a fuller recap for the site in the next few days but quickly some highlights:

* Sox system is better now because of better scouting and better talent.

* C.J. Retherford is projected as a "super utility player". Will be moved around the diamond, including the outfield AND catching this minor league season.

* Ozzie is very involved in minor league system. Talks with Buddy a lot. Knows who is down on the farm. Plays the kids when they are called up, and has constructive suggestions for what they have to work on.

* Compared Jordan Danks to Darrin Erstadt as a hitter. Called him the best defensive outfielder in minor league system after only two years. Will hit...said outfielders develop power later on in their careers.

*Tyler Flowers has made great strides in his defense. Had concerns with that aspect of his game at first. Said he will not be rushed, catching is a scrace commodity and they have time because of A.J. Is getting back into a flow offensively after 'going into a funk" for a little bit.

*Dayan Viciendo's issue is that he "overswings." Is to aggressive and he is working on that. It's a mechnical flaw.

*John Shelby still has a future with the Sox. Is playing CF but projects to a corner outfielder. Bell said "he looks better now than I've ever seen him." Expects him to be at Charlotte later in the year.

*Because of the discrepency between the ballparks in Birmingham and Charlotte, the fences will be moved back in Charlotte after the end of this season.

*Talked about some of the recent minor league drafted relief pitchers (Bellamy & O'Neal)... says they both can pitch. The Sox try to draft minor league pitchers who have some "deception" in their motions.

That's it for now.

Lip

DirtySox
03-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Who is Daren Viciendo? :cool:

JermaineDye05
03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Who is Daren Viciendo? :cool:

Ha that stood out to me too. I assume Lip is merely poking fun at Bill Melton, right?

DirtySox
03-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Ha that stood out to me too. I assume Lip is merely poking fun at Bill Melton, right?

Nah. He also had Bellamy as Bellamie. Lip just isn't mighty familiar bout them prospect kids.

Interesting about changing Charlotte's dimensions.

Lip Man 1
03-25-2010, 02:40 PM
No I'm not. And I'm in a hurry, have to get to the dentist.

Lip

#1swisher
03-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Nah. He also had Bellamy as Bellamie. Lip just isn't mighty familiar bout them prospect kids.

I knew what he meant.

DirtySox
03-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I hope Bellamy is more successful than O'Neil. They both have/had been described as fast risers. They really want a sidearmer it seems.

thedudeabides
03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the update Lip. I look forward to more. Bell was a great hire for this organization.

goon
03-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Can I have his number?