PDA

View Full Version : Who would replace Manuel?

Viva Magglio
06-15-2002, 04:16 PM
I want to start a new thread with this topic.

A poster in the "Jerry...Jerry...Jerry" brought up the issue of who would replace Jerry Wannsted-, uh, Manuel in the event he is fired. Well, Joe Nossek would replace him in the immediate interim. But where do we turn for the eventual replacement.

Names that come off the top of my head are: Jim Leyland, Felipe Alou, Jim Fregosi, Buck Showalter, and Kevin Kennedy. Leyland and Alou would be out only because they're both friends with Manuel. In fact, Leyland is still probably sore at us for firing Gene Lamont in 1995. It may sound crazy, but I like Fregosi. I was against firing him after the 1988 season, even though Jeff Torborg did a great job for us.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-15-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I want to start a new thread with this topic.

A poster in the "Jerry...Jerry...Jerry" brought up the issue of who would replace Jerry Wannsted-, uh, Manuel in the event he is fired. Well, Joe Nossek would replace him in the immediate interim. But where do we turn for the eventual replacement.

Names that come off the top of my head are: Jim Leyland, Felipe Alou, Jim Fregosi, Buck Showalter, and Kevin Kennedy. Leyland and Alou would be out only because they're both friends with Manuel. In fact, Leyland is still probably sore at us for firing Gene Lamont in 1995. It may sound crazy, but I like Fregosi. I was against firing him after the 1988 season, even though Jeff Torborg did a great job for us.

Are you crazy? We wouldn't get anybody that costs money. The only way Reinsdorf signs somebody with name recognition is if that person is absolutely starving for a managerial job. You think these guys will work for food money? I don't.

This is a strike year. Reinsdorf is the last person in the world who would put a second manager on the payroll at this late date.

Either the players respond on their own, or the strike comes and makes the point moot. Either way, Manuel isn't going anywhere.

Paulwny
06-15-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

We wouldn't get anybody that costs money .

The only way JM will be fired is when he hires Boras as his agent.

Viva Magglio
06-15-2002, 04:34 PM

Are you crazy? We wouldn't get anybody that costs money. The only way Reinsdorf signs somebody with name recognition is if that person is absolutely starving for a managerial job. You think these guys will work for food money? I don't.

This is a strike year. Reinsdorf is the last person in the world who would put a second manager on the payroll at this late date.

Either the players respond on their own, or the strike comes and makes the point moot. Either way, Manuel isn't going anywhere.

I forgot about our tightwad owner. Well, that would mean that even hiring God as the manager would not help us.

WinningUgly!
06-15-2002, 04:34 PM

I agree 100%. Another thing to remember when throwing around the names of possible candidates for replacing Manuel...most successful "big name" managers have egos & actual thoughts & opinions of their own. Those kinds of things will not be tolerated by JR. He wants a guy who doesn't mind having a hand up his a$$ & being a puppet.

WinningUgly!
06-15-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

The only way JM will be fired is when he hires Boras as his agent.
LMAO! Now, there's a good idea! :)