PDA

View Full Version : Some Pretty Cool Finds at AJ Wright

Brian26
03-24-2010, 10:39 PM
I stopped at the AJ Wright in the new shopping center near the Eisenhower and Manheim tonight on my way home.

They are selling authentic low-profile New Era Sox caps for $9.99. The only downside is the only size they seemed to have in stock is 7 3/4. Also, these are the wool versions (not the new version they switched to a couple of years ago) so, the under-bill is grey. Still, a pretty good deal if that sizes fits you. These caps usually go for $30 plus shipping (only available on the New Era website).

They also had Jim Thome batting practice jerseys (the new version, authentic, with his number on the back) for $19.99. This jersey goes for $99 on the official Sox website.

Also, here's a link to a thread on Chris Creamer's site about thrift store finds. A couple of guys on here note that one of the AJ Wrights in the south suburbs (Olympia Fields) is selling Konerko and Thome authentic jerseys for $25.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=71333&st=60

HomeFish
03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I received one of those $25 Konerko jerseys for Christmas this year from my mother.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I stopped by the local AJ Wright in the Rockford area. They did not have the BP jerseys, however, they did have the low profile authentic hats. I even found one in 7 3/8. Other notable items: 2005 BP cap with the silver bill for $9.99, the BP hat that they've recently phased out for $7.99, and the 2009 Red Stars and Stripes hat for $9.99. Thanks for the heads up on the low profile hat, I've always wanted one.

Brian26
03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm on an AJ Wright roll. I took back the 7 3/4 hat I bought yesterday that was too big (the only way you can try it on is after you purchase it when they take off the lock-tag). I went to the AJ Wright on West Fullerton, and they had my size.

Crede24Thome25
03-25-2010, 10:18 PM
I stopped at the AJ Wright in the new shopping center near the Eisenhower and Manheim tonight on my way home.

They are selling authentic low-profile New Era Sox caps for $9.99. The only downside is the only size they seemed to have in stock is 7 3/4. Also, these are the wool versions (not the new version they switched to a couple of years ago) so, the under-bill is grey. Still, a pretty good deal if that sizes fits you. These caps usually go for $30 plus shipping (only available on the New Era website).

They also had Jim Thome batting practice jerseys (the new version, authentic, with his number on the back) for $19.99. This jersey goes for $99 on the official Sox website.

Also, here's a link to a thread on Chris Creamer's site about thrift store finds. A couple of guys on here note that one of the AJ Wrights in the south suburbs (Olympia Fields) is selling Konerko and Thome authentic jerseys for $25.

I live 3 blocks from the A.J Wright your referring too, I'm on my way there now, to stock up :D:, thanks for the heads up

Soxfan 78
03-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the tip!! I work 4 blocks form an AJ Wright and had no clue what that store sold..lol. I went there on my lunch break today and got 2 hats for myself and 2 for different family members. They also head the thermabase warm up pullovers and a couple diff. nike sox shirts.

MARTINMVP
03-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Never heard of the store before. There aren't any near me, but the closest one to me is in Matteson. Looks like a crappy store just by looking at the photo of it on the website, but now I'm tempted to drive over there tomorrow.

HomeFish
03-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Never heard of the store before. There aren't any near me, but the closest one to me is in Matteson. Looks like a crappy store just by looking at the photo of it on the website, but now I'm tempted to drive over there tomorrow.

AJ Wright is great. You never know what you'll find, but you'll know that you'll find it for cheap.

MARTINMVP
03-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Stopped by at the Matteson store this morning. A L and a M home Dye replica jersey for $20. I did pass, but I did get a New Era wool black Sox hat low-crown for $10. Not bad.

BeeBeeRichard
03-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Had a couple of stops to make this morning close to two different AJ Wright locations, and my route took me past another one.

Leading off...

6560 W Fullerton, Chicago - Plenty of the aforementioned low-profile Sox hats in most sizes -- especially the pinhead sizes of 6 3/4 and 6 7/8. Maybe no 7 1/2s. They were in the process of marking them down to $7.00, so I bought two 7 3/4s. I also picked up an American Needle 1964 Sox cap for $9.99. There was another one of these in 7 1/8 or 7 1/4. These are probably leftovers from the ones that TJ Maxx had last year in many of the old Sox designs. Problem with these is that the sizes are a bit off (usually too big by a size or size and a half). A few fashion caps in some hideous color combinations. A few black jerseys with #24/Crede on the back.

Batting second...

7400ish W Roosevelt, Forest Park - Similar mix of sizes of the low-profile Sox hats. No markdown to $7 yet (still $9.99). No other vintage finds. More fashion caps in other hideous color combinations. There was also an all-black Twins "TC" cap (white lettering). Whatever. ... Was going to buy a Padres batting practice cap, but the lines were too long.

In the third slot ...

8300ish W Belmont, River Grove - Another good mix of the LP Sox hats. No markdown here yet either. One more '64 cap in 7 1/8 or 7 1/4. Also, a few of the red Fourth of July Sox hats with the stars and stripes in the logo, including almost an entire shelf of 7 3/8s. All of the above were $9.99. Nothing here for my melon, but did pick up a Wii golf club "control enhancement" device for $4.99.

All the places also had a smattering of other clubs' caps -- Braves stand out in my memory, so if you are trying to put together an Andruw Jones ensemble... Also, One place had a Rangers Milton Bradley #21 jersey for $19.99. Nice shirt, bad guy.

Brian26
03-27-2010, 04:18 PM
6560 W Fullerton, Chicago - Plenty of the aforementioned low-profile Sox hats in most sizes -- especially the pinhead sizes of 6 3/4 and 6 7/8. Maybe no 7 1/2s. They were in the process of marking them down to $7.00, so I bought two 7 3/4s. I also picked up an American Needle 1964 Sox cap for $9.99.

I saw that one at both the 6560 W Fullerton location and also the new store at Manheim & the Eisenhower. I couldn't find a 7 3/8 though.

Brian26
03-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Keep in mind if you go to any of these stores- for the most part, the stores are clean and well-run, but the checkout takes forever. The lines are slow for various reasons.

HomeFish
03-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Helpful Hint: you can also check out at the place where you return items, and there is usually a much shorter line there