PDA

View Full Version : Should we be concerned?

chisox123
03-23-2010, 10:59 PM
I know it's only Spring Training, and Teahen is still getting acclimated to the Sox, but he's hitting .143 with a OBP of .172. While I'm taking these stats with a grain of salt, they are somewhat of an eye opener.

parlaycard
03-23-2010, 11:02 PM
I know it's only Spring Training, and Teahen is still getting acclimated to the Sox, but he's hitting .143 with a OBP of .172. While I'm taking these stats with a grain of salt, they are somewhat of an eye opener.

You should be very concerned... If he weren't playing through an injury. He has not been 100% this spring.

PalehosePlanet
03-23-2010, 11:14 PM
He botched two consecutive grounders the other day when Buehrle was pitching that brought back nightmares of Mr. Goggles.

Other than that I was already concerned about him, and still would be even if he were hitting .400. His ST performance hasn't made any difference for me either way. My concern is the same as it was when we acquired him.

jabrch
03-23-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm no more concerned about Teahen than I am convinced that Jones will hit .340 or whatever the hell he is hitting.

It's spring ****ing training. Relax.

ode to veeck
03-23-2010, 11:25 PM
:darkclouds: must be some left over winter storms passing through AZ

Dibbs
03-24-2010, 12:00 AM
I am concerned. Not because of his terrible spring, but because he is a .269 lifetime hitter averaging barely over 11 home runs and 56 RBIs per year playing full time over the last three years.

guillensdisciple
03-24-2010, 12:06 AM
I am not concerned because I don't put massive expectation on him. I expect a decent season with greater seasons coming out of other players in the White Sox line-up. We'll see where this goes, but spring training has never given me anything serious to think about in terms of production in the regular season.

soltrain21
03-24-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm no more concerned about Teahen than I am convinced that Jones will hit .340 or whatever the hell he is hitting.

It's spring ****ing training. Relax.

People can have questions about the team, Jab. It's okay.

BadBobbyJenks
03-24-2010, 12:26 AM

Not true, everything is good, everything is going to be fine, there are no questions on this team and if you feel otherwise you are a dark cloud.

Danielgosox38
03-24-2010, 03:30 AM
Not true, everything is good, everything is going to be fine, there are no questions on this team and if you feel otherwise you are a dark cloud.

True story bro.

DumpJerry
03-24-2010, 07:19 AM
You should be very concerned... If he weren't playing through an injury. He has not been 100% this spring.
You're right. He has a sore arm (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0324-white-sox-chicago-spring-trai20100323,0,2133493.story).

TomBradley72
03-24-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm concerned, but not because of spring training...he's averaged ~125 strike outs/year the last 3 years while hitting in the .260's, low .700's OPS and his defense is being overrated by the Sox brass. + Kenny signed him to 3 years before he even put on a White Sox uniform.

He seems like an "in between" player..doesn't bring alot of power to the position...but I don't see him helping us for "small ball" or defense either.

asindc
03-24-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm concerned, but not because of spring training...he's averaged ~125 strike outs/year the last 3 years while hitting in the .260's, low .700's OPS and his defense is being overrated by the Sox brass. + Kenny signed him to 3 years before he even put on a White Sox uniform.

He seems like an "in between" player..doesn't bring alot of power to the position...but I don't see him helping us for "small ball" or defense either.

This is why I'm concerned, not because he is putting up awful performances in ST while playing through an injury. I did not like that KW locked him in for three years even before ST started. Since that is already done, however, let him get healthy so we can see what he is capable of playing his home games in a hitter's park while being entrenched at one defensive position.

jabrch
03-24-2010, 09:29 AM

If you tell me where I said it isn't OK, I'd appreciate that Sol. If you have concerns - cool. But the reason to have concerns is not his ST avg/obp. That's as silly as being 100% comfortable with Nix because he is hitting better. It's Spring ****ing Training.

Do you not see a difference between having a question about the team, and being 100% convinced that a player or the team is going to suck? This isn't black and white - there are a million shades of gray.

kitekrazy
03-24-2010, 10:03 AM
I was concerned long before that. How many ex Royals have really helped this team?

soltrain21
03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
If you tell me where I said it isn't OK, I'd appreciate that Sol. If you have concerns - cool. But the reason to have concerns is not his ST avg/obp. That's as silly as being 100% comfortable with Nix because he is hitting better. It's Spring ****ing Training.

Do you not see a difference between having a question about the team, and being 100% convinced that a player or the team is going to suck? This isn't black and white - there are a million shades of gray.

No, I just see you call out "dark clouds" all the time in every single thread regardless of whether it's spring training or not. You do it during the season, too.

TomBradley72
03-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Since that is already done, however, let him get healthy so we can see what he is capable of playing his home games in a hitter's park while being entrenched at one defensive position.

Unfortunately his career home/road splits are nearly identical...I don't see a whole lot of evidence that the Royals ballpark dragged down his numbers.

The Immigrant
03-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I was concerned long before that. How many ex Royals have really helped this team?

Jermaine Dye had himself a couple of decent years and a pretty good playoff run in 2005.

DonnieDarko
03-24-2010, 12:38 PM
DJ Carrasco also helped.

...not too many more that I can think of, though. >_>

BadBobbyJenks
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Who is 100% convinced of anything, the thread title is should I be concerned. Deep breaths.

parlaycard
03-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Jermaine Dye panned out

Noneck
03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
No, I just see you call out "dark clouds" all the time in every single thread regardless of whether it's spring training or not. You do it during the season, too.

Toward the end of last season he didn't. It seems he went on a modified hiatus.

oeo
03-24-2010, 02:04 PM

Is that you, Joe Cowley?

This isn't a good way to look at things. What team they played for in the past is irrelevant. Teahen has shown the ability to be an okay hitter in his career, so no, I'm not concerned. Just as I'm not overly excited over Andruw Jones having a great spring. On April 5th, everyone starts at .000.

Since you asked, though, and I gave the same answers to Joe Cowley when he asked the same question: Jermaine Dye was pretty good (who is the only position player I can think of), DJ Carrasco did the job, and Mike MacDougal was great in the second half of 2006. If a mistake was made with MacDougal, it was giving him the contract extension, not the actual trade itself.

LoveYourSuit
03-24-2010, 02:13 PM
not true, everything is good, everything is going to be fine, there are no questions on this team and if you feel otherwise you are a dark cloud.

potw

TheVulture
03-24-2010, 02:19 PM
I am concerned. Not because of his terrible spring, but because he is a .269 lifetime hitter averaging barely over 11 home runs and 56 RBIs per year playing full time over the last three years.

That's why he'll be hitting at the bottom of the order. If he can hit .270 and more importantly play solid defense then he's doing the job. Of course, I'm not sure he can do that either.

LoveYourSuit
03-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Spring stats that do have me concerned are:

The Sox as a team
25th in BA
27th in OBP%
29th in SLG%

And you are playing under the Arizona air, hitter's paradise.

Let's see if the boys can flip the "on" switch when they come North to 40 degree game time temperatures.

oeo
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
potw

Yeah, you can combine it with the other 50 posts exactly like it for a shared POTW.

russ99
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Kenny signed him to 3 years before he even put on a White Sox uniform.

If he weren't arb eligible, do you really think Kenny would do that? KW avoids a hearing on a newly acquired hitter, gets him for a lower rate than an expected pre-arb "meet in the middle" raise and has him at a reduced rate for 2 extra years.

A no-brainer move, even if there is some risk that he lives up to the contract in Year 3. He's still better than Getz/Fields.

IMO, if you expect Teahen to hit .300 and hit 35 HRs, you're expecting too much. But we don't need 8 sluggers on this team.

It seems that some fans expect the Sox to be the Yankees and spend $150M and lock up all-stars at every position...

Truth is we should be happy to have the talent level and payroll we have right now, Kenny and Jerry could have easily gone the other way this winter and traded Danks or Floyd for propects and walked away from Jenks' deal to keep us under $100M.

spawn
03-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah, you can combine it with the other 50 posts exactly like it for a shared POTW.
This really is POTW.

oeo
03-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Spring stats that do have me concerned are:

The Sox as a team
25th in BA
27th in OBP%
29th in SLG%

And you are playing under the Arizona air, hitter's paradise.

Let's see if the boys can flip the "on" switch when they come North to 40 degree game time temperatures.

We've also given up more runs than innings in our last 5 games or so. Who gives a flying ****?

The problem with these posts: they're predictable. Every year people make too big of a deal out of Spring Training statistics. They're irrelevant and mean nothing. That's the case every year, not just this year. Yet every year, this place freaks out about how we're not doing this or not doing that. Just win on April 5th and beyond, that's all that matters.

spawn
03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
We've also given up more runs than innings in our last 5 games or so. Who gives a flying ****?

The problem with these posts: they're predictable. Every year people make too big of a deal out of Spring Training statistics. They're irrelevant and mean nothing. That's the case every year, not just this year. Yet every year, this place freaks out about how we're not doing this or not doing that. Just win on April 5th and beyond, that's all that matters.
I could be wrong, but the last couple of years the Sox didn't hit consistently in ST. And that was when we did have a lineup of boppers.

doublem23
03-24-2010, 02:27 PM
I could be wrong, but the last couple of years the Sox didn't hit consistently in ST. And that was when we did have a lineup of boppers.

Last year we had one of the worst offenses in the American League.

TheVulture
03-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Truth is we should be happy to have the talent level and payroll we have right now, Kenny and Jerry could have easily gone the other way this winter and traded Danks or Floyd for propects and walked away from Jenks' deal to keep us under $100M.

I agree - I'd rather have question marks like Teahen and Jones in the lineup to go along with the top of the line starting rotation that KW put together than a lockdown lineup with a questionable pitching staff. I'm also glad to have the CF debacle we've witnessed since 2006 come to an end.

jabrch
03-24-2010, 02:32 PM

They are entitled to an opinion. So am I. Why would you think that I don't think that? I don't have to agree with them. Specifically, in the thread we are talking about, we have someone pissing about Teahen's ST stats. Yeah, I'll call that one out. Find a time where I say someone doesn't have a right to an opinion...you can't. That doesn't mean I have to agree with it or that I don't have a right to share my own.

Everyone can do whatever it is to enjoy the game. If it means crapping on the team they love about every little detail, then so be it. Me personally, I look to the things I like about the team and focus on them. That's as much my right as it is yours (or anyone elses) to dwell on what they dislike. And it is my right to point out that statements like "player X is going to suck" is not a fact, but an opinion or a projection which may or may not be true. But it isn't a fact.

Find a time where I said that people can't have questions about the team Sol. You can't - because I don't. I have questions too. But you won't see me dwell on negatives in the off season and ST. That's just silly in my eyes. It's everyone's right....and it's my right to disagree.

jabrch
03-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Who is 100% convinced of anything, the thread title is should I be concerned. Deep breaths.

You don't really need me to go find a dozen posts where people are 100% convinced of things, do you?

I think of all the people you can advise to take deep breaths, I'm about the last one that applies to. I'm about as laid back about this as anyone.

Seriously...BBJ...you don't really believe that there aren't people 100% convinced that they know what certain players will do this year, do you?

LoveYourSuit
03-24-2010, 03:02 PM

The pitching has the track record of being good, so I'm not worried.

Besides it's AZ, it's hitter's heaven out there.

Meanwhile, the offense was very iffy going into the spring and has done nothing to excite me at all. And they too are hitting under Arizona conditions.

I guess we can take away that two of our biggest offensive quesiton marks have performed OK here in AZ in Alex Rios and Andrew Jones. But I still feel this team is missing some punch.

BadBobbyJenks
03-24-2010, 03:38 PM
You don't really need me to go find a dozen posts where people are 100% convinced of things, do you?

I think of all the people you can advise to take deep breaths, I'm about the last one that applies to. I'm about as laid back about this as anyone.

Seriously...BBJ...you don't really believe that there aren't people 100% convinced that they know what certain players will do this year, do you?

No, I know people are, but I dont see it in this thread. I think you are venting about other threads in this one.

jabrch
03-24-2010, 03:51 PM
No, I know people are, but I dont see it in this thread. I think you are venting about other threads in this one.

I was responding to Sol who told me that it was OK for people to have questions about the team. We were talking generically at that point in time. Had he said, it is ok for people to question Teahen, we'd have had a specific discussion about him. Go back and follow the thread. I think I was staying to point in responding to his generic comment generically... Right?

BadBobbyJenks
03-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Teahen hitting the ball hard today including a home run.

guillensdisciple
03-24-2010, 05:40 PM
:o::o::o::o:Teahen hitting the ball hard today including a home run.

... but that's contradictory to our concerns.

Tragg
03-24-2010, 06:00 PM
There's big cause for concern.
Questionable talent at some positions plus questionable talent evaluation abilities from the manager + terrible offense 2 of the last 3 seasons = cause for concern.

thomas35forever
03-24-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm not concerned right now. The Sun-Times just ran down the lowest batting average for each Sox player going back to '05 and each ended up having decent years. I'll be worried if he's still struggling during the first week of the regular season.

Ranger
03-25-2010, 02:15 AM

Worst rationale ever. It is possible for a bad team to have a couple of good individual players.

Probably because there are a lot of them.

If he weren't arb eligible, do you really think Kenny would do that? KW avoids a hearing on a newly acquired hitter, gets him for a lower rate than an expected pre-arb "meet in the middle" raise and has him at a reduced rate for 2 extra years.

A no-brainer move, even if there is some risk that he lives up to the contract in Year 3. He's still better than Getz/Fields.

IMO, if you expect Teahen to hit .300 and hit 35 HRs, you're expecting too much. But we don't need 8 sluggers on this team.

It seems that some fans expect the Sox to be the Yankees and spend $150M and lock up all-stars at every position...

Excellent assessment. In the long run, the risk is minimal. It's 14 million over 3 seasons for a 3rd baseman. It's not so much money that it's a completely unattractive or untradeable contract.

There's big cause for concern.
Questionable talent at some positions plus questionable talent evaluation abilities from the manager + terrible offense 2 of the last 3 seasons = cause for concern.

Different lineup and Ozzie isn't the talent evaluator. The terrible offense from the last couple of years had some pretty good hitters in it.

It's not about the individual's numbers as much as it is about how the collective of numbers fit together. Real teams aren't assembled like fantasy teams. Of course it would be nice if you could assemble an All Star lineup of mashers, but that's pretty tough to do.