PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy doesn't like the Cubs...or the Twins...or anyone he pitches against.

JermaineDye05
03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
So this Joe Cowley article states:

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/2113023,CST-SPT-sox21.article)

whitem0nkey
03-22-2010, 03:47 PM
"I hate every team we play, that's all there is to it"

HomeFish
03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't like how Peavy runs his mouth in the media.

GoGoCrede

What did he say that was so wrong? :scratch:

Rocky Soprano

I don't like your posts. :tongue:

Hitmen77
03-22-2010, 03:49 PM
"I hate every team we play, that's all there is to it"

Which makes this non-news and makes the Cowley article headline misleading.

DirtySox
03-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I think I'm Peavyed out in regards to all these news pieces. However, I would like to see him pitch. I don't think I've seen him yet this spring.

soltrain21
03-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I get it, Jake. You are a competitor. Now just pitch well, please. That's all I care about.

BadBobbyJenks
03-22-2010, 03:53 PM
As if the headline wasn't a big non story to begin with,

Mod Edit: Posting copywritten material, even pieces of an article, is a violation of the posting rules.

I wonder if anyone would read the "Peavy doesn't like teams he is facing that day" article.

DirtySox
03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
i get it, jake. You are a competitor. Now just pitch well, please. That's all i care about.

+1

JermaineDye05
03-22-2010, 03:58 PM
I think I'm Peavyed out in regards to all these news pieces. However, I would like to see him pitch. I don't think I've seen him yet this spring.

He looked pretty good against the Dodgers last week. If you have MLB.tv you can check it out. He does tend to own the Dodgers though.

SephClone89
03-22-2010, 03:59 PM

What do you like?

spawn
03-22-2010, 04:01 PM
What do you like?
Isn't obvious? He likes to complain.

soltrain21
03-22-2010, 04:02 PM
What do you like?

Over the last week I learned he really likes talking about dinosaurs and their history. So, we know that's one thing.

october23sp
03-22-2010, 04:05 PM
over the last week i learned he really likes talking about dinosaurs and their history. So, we know that's one thing.

+1.

spawn
03-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Which makes this non-news and makes the Cowley article headline misleading.
Which is why I've changed the title of the thread.

Also, he's being asked these questions. It's not like he saw a mic, ran over, and started talking about his dislike of the Cubs...or any team. If he doesn't answer, then people will say he doesn't talk to the media. Also, it's Joe ****ing Cowley. Of course he's going to ask these types of questions.

GoGoCrede
03-22-2010, 04:08 PM
That'll do, Cowley. That'll do.

goon
03-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Over the last week I learned he really likes talking about dinosaurs and their history.

Dinosaurs? Never happened.

I'm glad Jake Peavy feels that way and I'm glad he's on the Sox. The media asks questions and he answers them honestly, I can live with that.

HomeFish
03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
I like players who stay classy while putting up good numbers. The 2008 version of Carlos Quentin -- prior to his self-mutilation -- is my ideal player.

I can tolerate players who run their mouth after putting up good numbers. But guys who talk **** before the season starts? They embarrass me.

spawn
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
I like players who stay classy while putting up good numbers.
And how exactly is Peavy not being classy? He said he likes the players on the teams, but he doesn't like anyone he plays. He wants to win. What is unclassy about what he said? Talk about your non-stories. :rolleyes:

WisSoxFan
03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
I like players who stay classy while putting up good numbers. The 2008 version of Carlos Quentin -- prior to his self-mutilation -- is my ideal player.

I can tolerate players who run their mouth after putting up good numbers. But guys who talk **** before the season starts? They embarrass me.

Serious question. How do they embarras you?

thomas35forever
03-22-2010, 05:24 PM
I like the attitude Peavy has. Makes him more intimidating. Now he should follow through on it.

Bobby Thigpen
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
They embarrass me.
I'm sure they'll take this into consideration the next time someone asks them a question.

guillensdisciple
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
I like the attitude Peavy has. Makes him more intimidating. Now he should follow through on it.

To me, Peavy is the player equivalent of Ozzie and I see zero wrong with that. He'll be a really good fit for the White Sox and we should have him run his mouth when he wants to.

JermaineDye05
03-22-2010, 05:33 PM

(When healthy) Jake's bite is far worse than his bark. We saw that through 3 starts last season and the NL saw that all the years he was in the league, especially in 2007.

guillensdisciple
03-22-2010, 05:35 PM
(When healthy) Jake's bite is far worse than his bark. We saw that through 3 starts last season and the NL saw that all the years he was in the league, especially in 2007.

I think we have to think about it like this.

he put up his numbers on teams that sucked year after year, maintained a competitive spirit, and won a cy young. Now he is pitching for a winning team, that has players to support him, and maintains the same spirit.

His drive for success will be greater, his mouth will get louder, and his trophy collection will increase (hopefully more than just the Cy Young this time).

hi im skot
03-22-2010, 05:35 PM
soltrain has somehow scored two "points" in this thread. Well played, sir.

goon
03-22-2010, 05:36 PM
I know lots of people that stay classy. Sometimes I stay classy. I like people that stay classy.

soltrain21
03-22-2010, 05:41 PM
soltrain has somehow scored two "points" in this thread. Well played, sir.

*fist in the air*

MARTINMVP
03-22-2010, 05:45 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way. Love Peavy's attitude about wanting to win and all, but I am starting to notice that he is talking a lot. Nothing wrong with that, but he will kind of look like a tool if he fails to back it up and lives up to expectations.

Boondock Saint
03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way. Love Peavy's attitude about wanting to win and all, but I am starting to notice that he is talking a lot. Nothing wrong with that, but he will kind of look like a tool if he fails to back it up and lives up to expectations.

He's the Sox's big "offseason acquisition", and he's the biggest star on the team. The media wants to get a lot of quotes from him. It's not like he's flagging writers down, saying, "Hey, come here! I've got some more stuff to be confident about!"

He's responding honestly to the questions he's being asked. Nothing more.

MARTINMVP
03-22-2010, 07:36 PM
He's the Sox's big "offseason acquisition", and he's the biggest star on the team. The media wants to get a lot of quotes from him. It's not like he's flagging writers down, saying, "Hey, come here! I've got some more stuff to be confident about!"

He's responding honestly to the questions he's being asked. Nothing more.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy. In my opinion, some of the things he says just sound a bit exaggerated. Not quite odd, persay, but maybe forced.

goon
03-22-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm not saying he's a bad guy. In my opinion, some of the things he says just sound a bit exaggerated. Not quite odd, persay, but maybe forced.

It's not like he's guaranteeing victories, a Division Championship or a World Series win. The guy wants to win, that's all he's saying. I think that's awesome.

konerko 14
03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't mind Peavy getting competitve like this, as long as he backs it up.

Frontman
03-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Oh can we accelerate time, speed up the harvest, or teleport me off this rock already?

Come on opening day. Cowley's reporting is going to cause WSI to burn in effigy at this rate before then!!!!!

spawn
03-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Oh can we accelerate time, speed up the harvest, or teleport me off this rock already?

Come on opening day. Cowley's reporting is going to cause WSI to burn in effigy at this rate before then!!!!!
This post reminds me...I need to stop following his Twitter account. The guy is too much of an ******* for my taste. I think I'll start following Mark Gonzales.

#1swisher
03-22-2010, 10:18 PM

They've all taken the "Bull Durham" course...:redneck I'd like to hear from all the players more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVca9MwDX8&NR=1

03-22-2010, 10:25 PM
This guy has always talked like this and pretty much always backed it up.

No difference than when he was with SD.

Pear-Zin-Ski
03-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Um weren't a lot of people whining on here about how we didn't have a leader last season?

Glad to have you on the southside Jake! Cannot wait til April!

voodoochile
03-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Reporter: Hey Jake is it true you'd throw at your own mother if she were playing for the other team?

Jake: Only if she was crowding the plate...

MISoxfan
03-23-2010, 01:37 AM
*fist in the air*
+1

munchman33
03-23-2010, 11:23 AM

What you see as classless others might see as passion. And we all know what a talented, passion-less team gets you. All too well.

delben91
03-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Barring injury, Jake Peavy is one of the few Sox that I have no concerns about in 2010. Maybe he talks to much, maybe he doesn't, but I really don't have any issue with anything he has said so far.

Anyone want to get rid of him because he's in the press so much? Didn't think so.

johnny bench
03-23-2010, 07:16 PM
This guy has always talked like this and pretty much always backed it up.

No difference than when he was with SD.

What did peavy accomplish with SD? Besides creating oversized expectations?

oeo
03-23-2010, 07:30 PM

Uh...a Cy Young. What the rest of the team does isn't his faul

mzh
03-23-2010, 07:33 PM
96 Wins, 4/6 seasons under 3, 2 All-stars, a Cy Young, and a Triple Crown. Yep, definitely don't want this overhyped piece of **** around here.

03-23-2010, 07:37 PM

Uh...a Cy Young. What the rest of the team does isn't his fault

96 Wins, 4/6 seasons under 3, 2 All-stars, a Cy Young, and a Triple Crown. Yep, definitely don't want this overhyped piece of **** around here.

Ummm yeah thank you.

asindc
03-23-2010, 07:42 PM

This post has many troll-like characteristics. Perhaps you might consider some editing.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-23-2010, 07:47 PM

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/epicfacepalm2.png

soltrain21
03-23-2010, 07:58 PM

This is my favorite post in the history of WSI.

johnny bench
03-23-2010, 08:41 PM
We are putting way too much weight on the 2007 season as an indicator of peavy's value. He had a losing record in 2006. He had a losing record in 2008. His control is not great; he walks too many batters. And take a quick look at his post-season record and let me know if you think he is proud of his record in important games.

The Padres finished first in 2005. peavy's September record was 1-1 and the team was 1-3 in those starts. In the NLDS vs STL, peavy got crushed: 8 runs in 4 innings.

The Padres also finished first in 2006. In September, peavy's record was better at 4-1 and the team was 4-2 in his September starts. But, in the NLDS peavy again was crushed: 11 hits and 5 runs in 5 IP.

And in his big year of 2007, the Padres finished a game and a half out of first place despite his outstanding performance.

Yes, he was on a mediocre team.

But now he has moved to the AL, a big step up in quality from the NL west. He has a lot to prove. Like winning important post-season games.

If peavy were to win the 2010 Cy Young and the White Sox finished in third place, would you be satisfied?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-23-2010, 08:45 PM
If peavy were to win the 2010 Cy Young and the White Sox finished in third place, would you be satisfied?

I'd be pissed that the Sox pissed that kind of performance away.

GoGoCrede
03-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I'd be pissed that the Sox pissed that kind of performance away.

This. Jake is only one piece of the puzzle.

mzh
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
We are putting way too much weight on the 2007 season as an indicator of peavy's value. He had a losing record in 2006. He had a losing record in 2008. His control is not great; he walks too many batters. And take a quick look at his post-season record and let me know if you think he is proud of his record in important games.

The Padres finished first in 2005. peavy's September record was 1-1 and the team was 1-3 in those starts. In the NLDS vs STL, peavy got crushed: 8 runs in 4 innings.

The Padres also finished first in 2006. In September, peavy's record was better at 4-1 and the team was 4-2 in his September starts. But, in the NLDS peavy again was crushed: 11 hits and 5 runs in 5 IP.

And in his big year of 2007, the Padres finished a game and a half out of first place despite his outstanding performance.

But now he has moved to the AL, a big step up in quality from the NL west. He has a lot to prove. Like winning important post-season games.

No I would not be satisfied, but obviously you would not blame Peavy for that.

And, no, he does not walk to many guys. Over the last few years he's walked no more than Danks or Floyd and averages the same amount of walks per season as CC Sabathia, and he makes up for that by striking out 200+ annually.

To be honest, I think the AL/NL difference is the overhyped one, not Peavy. And ace is an ace, period. Would we question Tim Lincecum's ability if he were traded to the AL?

I'll give that 2006 was an off year. Even Greg Maddux had some of them. but come on, so what if he had a losing record in 08? Who wouldn't have with that team. If he has a 2.85 ERA and a 10-11 record that should tell you more about the offense than the pitcher.

also, you are basing the assumption that he is overhyped on a small playoff sample size. CC Sabathia got lit up in 07, and he is still top-tier. Johan Santana has a 10.80 postseason ERA one year. It's meaningless.

Corlose 15
03-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Peavy had a broken rib in that 2005 start against the Cardinals in the NLDS.

areilly
03-23-2010, 09:30 PM
also, you are basing the assumption that he is overhyped on a small playoff sample size. CC Sabathia got lit up in 07, and he is still top-tier. Johan Santana has a 10.80 postseason ERA one year. It's meaningless.

Quantitatively small but qualitatively significant. Don't forget what happened in game 163 of 2007 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/COL/COL200710010.shtml), either.

Peavy's a fantastic pitcher, and I look forward to seeing how far the Sox go because of him this year. At the same time, for all this talk of hunger, competitiveness and insatiable bloodlust, his track record in big games leaves much to be desired.

Thatguyoverthere
03-23-2010, 09:31 PM

If peavy were to win the 2010 Cy Young and the White Sox finished in third place, would you be satisfied?Really? You're going to bring up record when the two pitchers who won the Cy Youngs this past year won 15 and 16 games? Looking at record is a horrible way to judge a pitcher. Take Gavin Floyd for instance. I thought he pitched better in 2009 than in 2008, but you wouldn't be able to guess that from looking at his records. Hell, Jon Garland won 18 games in both 2005 and 2006, and lost less games in 2006, but his ERA was over a full run higher in 2006.

Yeah, Peavy's Triple Crown season was really to blame for his team not making the postseason. :rolleyes:

Also, his postseason career is made up of all of two starts. Talk about an overreaction to a miniscule sample size.

Boondock Saint
03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
He had a losing record in 2006.

And he's 95-68 over his career. That overshadows one season, in which, for the record, he pitched for an awful 4.09 ERA.

His control is not great; he walks too many batters.

He strikes out three batters for every one he walks. Sounds pretty good to me.

Using two games as an example is ridiculous. Go look at the numbers over the other 200+ games he's started over his career.

Using team success as an indicator of individual talent is every kind of stupid.

Your issues with Peavy are way off base.

johnny bench
03-23-2010, 09:53 PM
He strikes out three batters for every one he walks. Sounds pretty good to me.

Fine. Kerry Wood's ratio is 4:1. So Wood>peavy?

Boondock Saint
03-23-2010, 10:00 PM

1) Kerry Wood's career ratio is 2.43:1

2) You really need to stop cherry picking. You are proving nothing.

Thatguyoverthere
03-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Fine. Kerry Wood's ratio is 4:1. So Wood>peavy?Peavy's career BB/9 is 2.9, the exact same as King Felix. For reference, Sabathia's is 2.8, Lincecum's is 3.3, Verlander's is 3.0, Webb's is 3.0, and Santana's is 2.5. Not everyone can be Roy Halladay (2.0) or Greg Maddux (1.8) in this category. Besides, Peavy's career WHIP is 1.182 - that more than makes up for it.

mzh
03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
you're looking at this totally wrong. The OP said that he was fine with a slightly high walk rate because he struck out 3 for every walk. This has nothing to do with how good he is totally, as that would be totally ridiculous basing it off 1 stat, or how good he is comparatively with another player. I don't see what Kerry Wood has anything to do with this discussion. You missed the point like Mike MacDougal misses the plate.

Thome_Fan
03-23-2010, 10:25 PM
you're looking at this totally wrong. The OP said that he was fine with a slightly high walk rate because he struck out 3 for every walk. This has nothing to do with how good he is totally, as that would be totally ridiculous basing it off 1 stat, or how good he is comparatively with another player. I don't see what Kerry Wood has anything to do with this discussion. You missed the point like Mike MacDougal misses the plate.

Ouch. That one's gonna sizzle a bit in the morning.

Frontman
03-23-2010, 11:26 PM
:thud::thud::thud::thud:

Seriously, here is a TARDIS when I need one? I so need to get to April 5th already.

BadBobbyJenks
03-24-2010, 01:28 AM

:redface::redface::redface: