PDA

View Full Version : Mauer Deal Done

DirtySox
03-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Ken_Rosenthal (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal)
Announcement of Mauer deal with #Twins (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Twins) imminent. Deal is done. #MLB (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB)

#Twins (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Twins) just announced Mauer deal. Eight years, $184M! #MLB (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB)

Full no-trade clause for Mauer as well. #Twins (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Twins) #MLB (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB)

ilsox7
03-21-2010, 04:46 PM
8/184.

jabrch
03-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Wow...

big time, long term guaranteed money for a catcher... Good for all I guess.

GoGoCrede
03-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Jesus Christ, I wish I was good at baseball.

Good deal for Mauer, good deal for the Twins.

Twins_Morneau
03-21-2010, 05:24 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

But seriously thank God thats over.:gulp:

Pablo_Honey
03-21-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't think this was a good deal for Twins at all. Mauer has a history of injury while playing one of the toughest positions in the field, and his power numbers only looked great in 2009. $23 mil per season for 8 seasons is very expensive. Meh, it's not the Sox paying somebody that much money so I don't mind but still, I fear this is an indication that the market will keep inflating.

JermaineDye05
03-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Mauer's days at catcher will soon be done.

I like this. Even though I don't like facing him, I'd much rather see Joe Mauer in the Twins uni than in Yankees pinstripes or in a Red Sox uniform.

thegooch
03-21-2010, 05:42 PM

I like this. Even though I don't like facing him, I'd much rather see Joe Mauer in the Twins uni than in Yankees pinstripes or in a Red Sox uniform.

+1.

And hopefully this hamstrings them from any other big time contracts.

Danielgosox38
03-21-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't see how any Sox fans can like this. I don't give a **** if it's good for baseball. It's bad for the White Sox, which is what matters most.

balke
03-21-2010, 06:37 PM
I'd call that a hometown discount. First ballot hall of fame catcher. I think he could've gotten 26-28 a year for 4-6 years from a lot of clubs.

I'm pretty upset he's still going to be around - 5 more years of the best 1-2 punch in baseball.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-21-2010, 06:37 PM

As a fan of a small market team, i agree. Anybody here think the 184 million is a hometown discount? If it is, i would hate to see what the yankees would have given him. And yes, he should move to DH soon, make room for that young kid they have right behind him(name escapes me).

october23sp
03-21-2010, 06:51 PM
I don't see how any Sox fans can like this. I don't give a **** if it's good for baseball. It's bad for the White Sox, which is what matters most.

No, baseball being alive is more important than the White Sox.

Craig Grebeck
03-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't think this was a good deal for Twins at all. Mauer has a history of injury while playing one of the toughest positions in the field, and his power numbers only looked great in 2009. $23 mil per season for 8 seasons is very expensive. Meh, it's not the Sox paying somebody that much money so I don't mind but still, I fear this is an indication that the market will keep inflating.
Major hometown discount for Mauer. Something like $5-7m a year, I'd imagine. The guy is amazing.

oeo
03-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Major hometown discount for Mauer. Something like $5-7m a year, I'd imagine. The guy is amazing.

Given his position, he's arguably the best player in baseball. Good for Mauer staying at home. I don't think this will hurt the Sox much, the Twins are not big spenders.

Shoeless_Jeff
03-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Winners: The Twins, Joe Mauer, Baseball
Losers: White Sox

Daver
03-21-2010, 07:14 PM

Good defensive catchers that can hit are not exactly a dime a dozen, it could be argued they are the most valuable thing a team can have outside starting pitching. It is also not a reflection on the market, as there hasn't been a catcher drafted in the last ten years that has Mauers skillset and can bring those skills to the MLB level, this is an era where catchers that can produce offensive numbers are moved out of the position in their early teens to maximize their chances on cashing in on the draft.

The tools of ignorance dosen't mean what it did as little as ten years ago, and will continue to decline as long as the sport, on every level, insists on the thinking that baseball is an offensive driven sport, eventually perception will become reality.

oeo
03-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Winners: The Twins, Joe Mauer, Baseball
Losers: White Sox

I don't understand this thought process. The Twins didn't ADD Mauer, they extended him. Yes, he's good. Yes, if he stays at catcher, the best one ever. No, he's not 25 guys, he's 1. This isn't the NBA where a superstar can lead you places, you need a team. Mauer's contract will take a big chunk out of their payroll in future years which means he will probably be playing on worse teams than he has.

soxfanreggie
03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Unless the Twins are committed to increasing payroll, this could hamper them in other areas. If he gets injured, they are up a creek. If the Twins are committed to spending more money, that's when it hurts more.

Twins' fans can take solace in this news though after they had to hear about Nathan likely being out for the season.

sullythered
03-21-2010, 07:19 PM

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Twins, but I am happy to see ANYBODY of that level not even consider the Blowsaux or Yankees. On top of that, our biggest rival, a small market franchise, just sunk 184 million bucks into ONE GUY. This is gonna put them in a really tough spot, I don't care how awesome that one guy is.

Daver
03-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Yes, if he stays at catcher, the best one ever.

Not even close.

oeo
03-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Not even close.

Who then? We haven't even seen the prime of Mauer's career, just the beginning. And the beginning is pretty damn good, especially 2009.

bunty_doghunter
03-21-2010, 07:41 PM
I don't think this will hurt the Sox much, the Twins are not big spenders.
Past tense.

Daver
03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Who then? We haven't even seen the prime of Mauer's career, just the beginning. And the beginning is pretty damn good, especially 2009.

Well, Fisk, Ott, and Bench all called games, just off the top of my head, the next game Mauer calls will be his first.

oeo
03-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Past tense.

We'll see once the novelty of the new park wears off.

Tragg
03-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Good defensive catchers that can hit are not exactly a dime a dozen, it could be argued they are the most valuable thing a team can have outside starting pitching.
A good defensive catcher is really important. But a good Defensive catcher (without much offense) really isn't that expensive. So in effect the Twins are paying c. 20 million a year for his offensive production, albeit at a position where offene is at a premium.

I just think you get the hitting premium he brings at another position for a lot cheaper, while preserving the defensive prowess at catcher. Spend 5 mill on a stud D catcher, and spend the other 20 Mill upgrading 4 or 5 other positions and you'll be better off.

canOcorn
03-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Well, Fisk, Ott, and Bench all called games, just off the top of my head, the next game Mauer calls will be his first.

Mauer calls his own games and it's pretty well documented; however, if he continues to tip pitches from 2nd base, then someone is going to put one in is ear hole and it might be an ugly ending.

doublem23
03-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Its better for the Sox than him going to NYY or Boston, though. The Twins will never be able to assemble a team like they have around Mauer, if he went to the Yankees, you could forget about going to the World Series for the next 4-6 years.

Daver
03-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Mauer calls his own games and it's pretty well documented; however, if he continues to tip pitches from 2nd base, then someone is going to put one in is ear hole and it might be an ugly ending.

Mauer calls pitches, can we please stop confusing this?

doublem23
03-21-2010, 08:25 PM

Honestly, who gives a **** if a catcher is calling the game or if its coming in from a bench coach. I'll take a guy with his defensive prowess and his big bat a million times over some hack who happens to "call the game." Stick him on the bench and let him call the signs into Mauer.

oeo
03-21-2010, 08:27 PM

In case you haven't noticed, the game has changed.

Frater Perdurabo
03-21-2010, 08:29 PM
To protect his bat, by the middle of this contract the Twins will have him platooning at catcher with another player, and getting the rest of his starts at DH. By the end of the contract, I would guess he and Morneau will be sharing time at DH and 1B.

Daver
03-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Honestly, who gives a **** if a catcher is calling the game or if its coming in from a bench coach. I'll take a guy with his defensive prowess and his big bat a million times over some hack who happens to "call the game." Stick him on the bench and let him call the signs into Mauer.

They don't let bench coaches sit behind the plate and see the whole field in perspective.

Those that view the game from an offense first perspective will never grasp the fact that baseball is not an offensive sport.

doublem23
03-21-2010, 08:32 PM
They don't let bench coaches sit behind the plate and see the whole field in perspective.

Those that view the game from an offense first perspective will never grasp the fact that baseball is not an offensive sport.

That's why the Top 4 offensive teams in the AL made the play-offs last year, right?

Get a grip, Daver, Mauer is 10 bajillion times more valuable than any other catcher in baseball right now, and will probably go down as one of, if not the, greatest in history.

No field perspective? Are you serious? What ballpark do you know of that you can't see the field from the dugout? Come on.

Daver
03-21-2010, 08:34 PM
In case you haven't noticed, the game has changed.

No it's still the same game, you pitch the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball, the team that pitches it and catches it better wins.

thomas35forever
03-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Mauer is now in position to become perhaps the best player in Twins history. All he needs is a championship or two.

03-21-2010, 08:52 PM
i don't see how any sox fans can like this. I don't give a **** if it's good for baseball. It's bad for the white sox, which is what matters most.

+1

Soxman219
03-21-2010, 09:08 PM
I hope Mauer like to play with bad players in 3-5 years! This is a good thing for the Sox.

Brian26
03-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Jesus Christ, I wish I was good at baseball.

Good deal for Mauer, good deal for the Twins.

Good deal for baseball too.

Let's hope the Cardinals can figure out a way to keep Pujols out of NY too. I hope that ridiculous Holliday contract doesn't haunt them.

sullythered
03-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Twins, but I am happy to see ANYBODY of that level not even consider the Blowsaux or Yankees. On top of that, our biggest rival, a small market franchise, just sunk 184 million bucks into ONE GUY. This is gonna put them in a really tough spot, I don't care how awesome that one guy is.

Brian26
03-21-2010, 09:18 PM

If you count Ed, there are two Otts that have called more games than Mauer.

canOcorn
03-21-2010, 09:43 PM
If you count Ed, there are two Otts that have called more games than Mauer.

And that's because Joe Mauer is only 27.

Daver
03-21-2010, 09:49 PM
And that's because Joe Mauer is only 27.

Joe Mauer has never called a game.

jabrch
03-21-2010, 09:53 PM

Offense is a component of the game Daver...if it weren't, there'd be no need for pitching or defense. There are three components to a baseball game. Forgoing any single one of them is a bad idea.

canOcorn
03-21-2010, 10:10 PM

Enlighten me.

Danielgosox38
03-21-2010, 10:11 PM
No, baseball being alive is more important than the White Sox.

Yes, because if Mauer didn't re-sign with the Twins, baseball would be dead. :rolleyes:

doublem23
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
+1

Someone please explain to me how it is in the Sox's interests for him to go to the Yankees.... You really want to face a lineup with Granderson, Jeter, A-Rod, Mauer, Teixeira, and Cano? That is disgusting. Think big-time here, people. While we're all surely disappointed it might take more than 89 wins to win the Central if the Twins retain Mauer, it is much better for the Sox (and everyone) if individual teams keep their superstars out of New York and Boston.

Frater Perdurabo
03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
The Twins are getting a sizable bump in payroll this year due to the new stadium. But they've just eaten up most, if not all, of that payroll increase. In addition, it's almost certain the Twins' attendance will decline after the novelty of the new park wears off. Consequently, while Mauer and Morneau are excellent players, their huge contracts will keep the Twins from adding free agents and/or locking up future young stars. And they won't have such a strong home field advantage now that they're playing outdoors.

october23sp
03-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, because if Mauer didn't re-sign with the Twins, baseball would be dead. :rolleyes:

No, but it would be a devastating blow to baseball if he signed with the Yankee$ or Blow $ox.

Marqhead
03-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Someone please explain to me how it is in the Sox's interests for him to go to the Yankees.... You really want to face a lineup with Granderson, Jeter, A-Rod, Mauer, Teixeira, and Cano? That is disgusting. Think big-time here, people. While we're all surely disappointed it might take more than 89 wins to win the Central if the Twins retain Mauer, it is much better for the Sox (and everyone) if individual teams keep their superstars out of New York and Boston.

The Twins are getting a sizable bump in payroll this year due to the new stadium. But they've just eaten up most, if not all, of that payroll increase. In addition, it's almost certain the Twins' attendance will decline after the novelty of the new park wears off. Consequently, while Mauer and Morneau are excellent players, their huge contracts will keep the Twins from adding free agents and/or locking up future young stars. And they won't have such a strong home field advantage now that they're playing outdoors.

Combine these two posts and you've can't be overly upset with the signing. I for one would have liked Mauer to sign with the Pirates, but unless something magical happens in that front office the Twins just likely handcuffed their payroll for several years to come with two gargantuan signings. Let's just hope he flops against the Sox for the next 8 years.

Boondock Saint
03-21-2010, 10:56 PM

All of baseball benefits from having its stars all over the country. When they all reside in New York and Boston, New York and Boston benefits. And furthermore, I'm sure you understand that, too, but you just love to play the hyperbole card.

Patrick134
03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Horrible deal, money wise. Nowhere near worth it, unless he sells tickets.

Boondock Saint
03-21-2010, 11:32 PM

It's a great deal, for several reasons.

1) He's one of the best players in the game, easily. Letting him walk is a big mistake, no matter how much he costs. It's very rare to find a team that comes out on top when they either trade away or let a player of his caliber walk.

2) It's a great deal for the Twins, because he does sell tickets, and he would have gotten more money and more years if he had become a free agent.

3) I think it will look even better, when, four or five years down the line, Mauer is still making 23 million dollars a year while teams sign lesser players to more expensive contracts.

jabrch
03-22-2010, 12:01 AM

I don't know how we can conclude that for several years. It has all the risk of a bad deal, but all the upside of a deal that keeps one of (potentially) the eras best players from leaving.

I see why they did it. It's a major risk that they are probably very concerned about. I wonder if any language in the contract protects the club from injury?

03-22-2010, 12:14 AM

Yes I would. That would actually mean we are in the playoffs. Something I want to see on a yearly basis.

It's also personal for me. I hate the Twins with an immense passion. I would have loved to see them contracted in 2002 let alone only lose Mauer.

gobears1987
03-22-2010, 12:27 AM
I have to say I'm happy for Mauer. I hate facing him, but I think I'd hate it more if he were to wear the pin stripes. At least the Twins won't be making any sort of splash in free agency for the next decade. Heck, they won't be able to keep the stars they grow out of their own farm system now.

Rockabilly
03-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Glad that he's staying with the Twins.

WhiteSox5187
03-22-2010, 01:13 AM

What then, pray tell, is your definition of calling a game? Because every GM I have talked to, every scout I have heard from, every writer I have read who is quoting pitchers, coaches, scouts, GMs, etc. state that Mauer is not only a great defensive and offensive catcher, but that he is amazing when it comes to handling the pitching staff and calling games. But again, they only have access to thousands of scouting reports and the players themselves. I guess you are seeing something on TV and in video that the rest of the baseball community as a whole is missing.

WhiteSox5187
03-22-2010, 01:15 AM

The only way that this isn't worth it for the Twins is if Mauer gets hurt (his back condition is chronic, no?) and plays at about 10% of the ability he has now. Other wise, it is a very good deal. Plus they have Morneau signed up long term. That's a lot of punch in their lineup.

Nellie_Fox
03-22-2010, 01:37 AM
What then, pray tell, is your definition of calling a game? Because every GM I have talked to, every scout I have heard from, every writer I have read who is quoting pitchers, coaches, scouts, GMs, etc. state that Mauer is not only a great defensive and offensive catcher, but that he is amazing when it comes to handling the pitching staff and calling games. But again, they only have access to thousands of scouting reports and the players themselves. I guess you are seeing something on TV and in video that the rest of the baseball community as a whole is missing.I can tell you what Daver has said in the past. He considers calling pitches and calling a game to be entirely separate issues. He says calling a game also involves positioning the defense, which apparently catchers used to do and none do anymore.

I take no position on this, because even though I'm old, I never played organized ball at any level so I don't know if that's true or not.

Danielgosox38
03-22-2010, 01:38 AM
All of baseball benefits from having its stars all over the country. When they all reside in New York and Boston, New York and Boston benefits. And furthermore, I'm sure you understand that, too, but you just love to play the hyperbole card.

I do understand that side of it. I wasn't aware you knew me so well. :rolleyes: Since we are playing this game, you are the type of guy who thinks that you are right about everything. Truth be told.

doublem23
03-22-2010, 03:20 AM
I do understand that side of it. I wasn't aware you knew me so well. :rolleyes: Since we are playing this game, you are the type of guy who thinks that you are right about everything. Truth be told.

I would certainly hope that anyone, regardless of their stance, who espouses an opinion about anything, would think they're correct.

Danielgosox38
03-22-2010, 03:41 AM
I would certainly hope that anyone, regardless of their stance, who espouses an opinion about anything, would think they're correct.

He was making dumb generalizations about me, so I figured I would return the favor.

Sam Spade
03-22-2010, 06:04 AM
I'm going to disagree with most people. Its not a great deal. Its not a horrible deal. Its a deal at the market level, in my opinion. The twins paid a whole lot of money for a highly coveted player. Very blah to me.

doublem23
03-22-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm going to disagree with most people. Its not a great deal. Its not a horrible deal. Its a deal at the market level, in my opinion. The twins paid a whole lot of money for a highly coveted player. Very blah to me.

The 4th largest contract in baseball history? Wow, what does it take to get you excited?

g0g0
03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm glad he stayed in his hometown and didn't bolt for another 20/40/50 million dollars elsewhere. That being said, I wonder if this straps the Twins for the next decade in keeping other talent around? Maybe we'll see a horrible team not competing with a great catcher.

jabrch
03-22-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm glad he stayed in his hometown and didn't bolt for another 20/40/50 million dollars elsewhere. That being said, I wonder if this straps the Twins for the next decade in keeping other talent around? Maybe we'll see a horrible team not competing with a great catcher.

Or, even better yet for us, a great 1B/OF...

For that sort of cash, over that term, they need to protect his knees. I can't see him catching the length of this deal. At C, there is a lot of value even at this price IMHO. But once he moves to 1B or a corner, the value is decreased.

Mauer means more to them than his position/offense. They had to resign him if they had an opportunity for the fans. Trying to justify it strictly on the field will be a fruitlessly subjective activity.

ma-gaga
03-22-2010, 09:29 AM
This is how I feel:

:bandance:

And yeah, I worry about them "surrounding" Mauer with talent that can win. Specifically starting pitching. ... Last year the Twins have transformed into an offensive team whose pitching was mediocre. If the "kids" can continue to develop they'll be fine, but there's a lot of unknowns.

Frater (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2449267&postcount=47) was concerned about attendance and the ability of the ballpark to sustain interest/payroll. While I appreciate his concern, I would note that the new ballpark is opening this year, and the Twins have attained a fairly decent level of success over the last couple of years. Attendance will be very good for the duration of this deal. The Twins should be able to maintain their $100mm payroll for the indefinite future. Yeah, that puts 23% of their payroll into one player, which is crazy, but I cannot imagine more than 1 other player that I'd be willing to do that for.

:gulp:

Chez
03-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Mel Ott was not a catcher. As others have posted, I'm happy he didn't go to New York or Boston.

goon
03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Yeah, that puts 23% of their payroll into one player, which is crazy, but I cannot imagine more than 1 other player that I'd be willing to do that for.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Hitting/Images/Hitters/AlbertPujols/AlbertPujols_003.jpg

illinibk
03-22-2010, 10:26 AM
http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Hitting/Images/Hitters/AlbertPujols/AlbertPujols_003.jpg
I imagine that would the "1 other player" ma-gaga would be willing to do that for.

JermaineDye05
03-22-2010, 12:05 PM

http://notinhd.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/tim-lincecum1.jpg

I would certainly put Hanley Ramirez in that category as well.

whitem0nkey
03-22-2010, 12:44 PM
To think that the Twins passed up the chance to draft Mark Prior for that guy

TwinKess
03-22-2010, 01:08 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

WOOT!

To think that the Twins passed up the chance to draft Mark Prior for that guy

Yup, we dodged a MAJOR bullet on that one.

goon
03-22-2010, 01:42 PM
http://notinhd.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/tim-lincecum1.jpg

I would certainly put Hanley Ramirez in that category as well.

Absolutely. Throw Braun in there too. There are quite a few.

ma-gaga
03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Absolutely. Throw Braun in there too. There are quite a few.

Pujols was the other player I was thinking of. Hanley is an excellent choice and he's right up there. I should have used a "1 or 2" qualification. :cool:

If I had $184mm, I'm not sure that I'd spend that kind of money on a starting pitcher, and I'm not sure I'd spend that kind of money on a corner outfielder (and I love Braun). ... I know 1B isn't a great defensive position, but I think Pujols' talent is transcendent. ... So yeah, for Mauer and Pujols (and Hanley too) I'd think about breaking the bank. The rest of them can have nice safe $140-$150mm contracts.

goon
03-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Pujols was the other player I was thinking of. Hanley is an excellent choice and he's right up there. I should have used a "1 or 2" qualification. :cool:

If I had $184mm, I'm not sure that I'd spend that kind of money on a starting pitcher, and I'm not sure I'd spend that kind of money on a corner outfielder (and I love Braun). ... I know 1B isn't a great defensive position, but I think Pujols' talent is transcendent. ... So yeah, for Mauer and Pujols (and Hanley too) I'd think about breaking the bank. The rest of them can have nice safe $140-$150mm contracts.

Alex Rodriguez is pretty good too. Adrian Gonzalez, Prince Fielder, then guys coming along like Longoria, if Justin Upton stays healthy, he's great. There are a handful of position players that would be worth 15-20% of a team's payroll.

TheVulture
03-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Mel Ott was not a catcher.

True, but this guys was the catcher for the 1979 World Champions:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/subgenius88/ed_ott_autograph.jpg

Not exactly the first name that'd pop in to my head when I think of Joe Mauer comparisons, but point taken I suppose.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2010, 06:18 PM
The Twins payroll has gone up to around 95 million. Obviously they feel the new stadium will help revenues. Will it help over the long haul? The way to make sure that it does is by winning games.

Signing a hometown favorite who happens to be a very good player is a solid way to help win games, which will help make sure fans will keep buying tickets, hot dogs, beers and park their cars.

The Twins, I think, did the smart thing for the long term.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Does this mean Justin Moreneau is a free agent after this year?:dunno:

jabrch
03-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Does this mean Justin Moreneau is a free agent after this year?:dunno:

His contract goes through 2013. He will not be a FA anytime soon.

russ99
03-22-2010, 06:41 PM

Also, sounds to me that they're banking a bit too much on the new park. Ask the Pirates and Reds how that worked out after 2/3 years... Minneapolis is still a small market.

doublem23
03-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Also, sounds to me that they're banking a bit too much on the new park. Ask the Pirates and Reds how that worked out after 2/3 years... Minneapolis is still a small market.

The Pirates and Reds also suck.

FWIW, they outdrew us last year.

Shoeless_Jeff
03-22-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't understand this thought process. The Twins didn't ADD Mauer, they extended him. Yes, he's good. Yes, if he stays at catcher, the best one ever. No, he's not 25 guys, he's 1. This isn't the NBA where a superstar can lead you places, you need a team. Mauer's contract will take a big chunk out of their payroll in future years which means he will probably be playing on worse teams than he has.

Mauer will be a thorn in the Sox side for years to come and the Twins haven't had much trouble fielding teams on a budget that could contend with the Sox.

oeo
03-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Mauer will be a thorn in the Sox side for years to come and the Twins haven't had much trouble fielding teams on a budget that could contend with the Sox.

Mauer has been with the Twins for the past 5 years. Again, it's not like they're adding Mauer. Plus, you're basing too much off of one player.

Also, we handled Mauer pretty well last year, to the tune of a .250/.328/.500 line, by far the best of any other AL Central team. And looking back at previous years, we've pretty much got his number.

russ99
03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
The Pirates and Reds also suck.

FWIW, they outdrew us last year.

That's not the point. Attendance is only a part of the whole revenue picture.

I'm just saying that 2 years down the road, when the park's no longer new, can they really count on the revenue boost they're expecting when they made the Mauer deal? What if they slip down a bit on the field too? And they are a small market. Even though we share the city and the Twins outdrew us, there's more potential for revenue here. A payroll of $95M for them is like $120-125M for us considering potential revenue.

BTW- What happened to Pittsburgh and Cincy with their new parks happened to us too... Only after Jerry decided to put more into the budget around 1999 did we take the step to the next level.

konerko 14
03-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Wow, Huge deal for the Twins and Mauer.

KMcMahon817
03-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Yes and no. It could be great for the White Sox in about 5 years when he can barely run because he's knees are so bad.

asindc
03-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes and no. It could be great for the White Sox in about 5 years when he can barely run because he's knees are so bad.

I think they will switch him to 1B before they let that happen, or at least a C/1B/DH platoon, which makes the contract less valuable from a production standpoint. Either way, this contract was about fan goodwill as much as anything, so I don't think it is a market changer for management or players.