PDA

View Full Version : Dislike between Farmer and DJ?

Whitesox029
03-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I've noticed weird comments between them before, and my dad told me that there was some sort of odd exchange between DJ and Rongey about Farmer when he left the booth briefly during Friday's game. Anyone else hear it?

esbrechtel
03-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Farmer usually seems really annoyed with DJ. I have a feeling that tandem will not be together too much longer...Personally, I really don't like Farmer all that much.

GoGoCrede
03-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Farmer usually seems really annoyed with DJ. I have a feeling that tandem will not be together too much longer...Personally, I really don't like Farmer all that much.

I really love DJ. I hope it turns out okay for him (of course, this may be nothing).

SOXSINCE'70
03-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Personally, I really don't like Farmer all that much.

Farmer is OK, as a color guy.DJ gets on my neres. He tends to sound too condescending, IMO.
When does Dave Wills' contract with the Rays' expire ?? Man, could the Sox use him doing play by play,IMO.

Whitesox029
03-21-2010, 04:50 PM
I like Farmer a lot, actually. He tells it like it is...he just doesn't get along well with many people, and he's probably better off as a color man than play-by-play. We really need John Rooney back, because that's the only way Farmer would agree to move back, I think. Still, I think he got along better with Singleton and Stone better than DJ.

DirtySox
03-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Feel the complete opposite. Farmer is tremendous. DJ is horrible.

jabrch
03-21-2010, 04:56 PM

I'm not a huge fan of either - DJ has improved greatly since he first started and Farmer has regressed over time. I love having Stone to counterbalance Hawk.

DirtySox
03-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm not a huge fan of either - DJ has improved greatly since he first started and Farmer has regressed over time. I love having Stone to counterbalance Hawk.

Love Stone as well. He's the only reason I don't mute the television during games anymore.

jabrch
03-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Love Stone as well. He's the only reason I don't mute the television during games anymore.

I don't HATE Hawk. But he needs some balance in the booth. I miss Paciorek.

Whitesox029
03-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Hawk and DJ had a weird sort of relationship that sort of made each of their stupid foibles pretty bearable on air, but I think DJ just assumed it would be the same with Farmer. Their styles of interjecting humor are completely different, and they don't amuse each other. DJ tries goofy humor, and Ed does dry, sarcastic humor, or references old TV shows. They don't really relate to each other.

DirtySox
03-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Hawk and DJ had a weird sort of relationship that sort of made each of their stupid foibles pretty bearable on air, but I think DJ just assumed it would be the same with Farmer. Their styles of interjecting humor are completely different, and they don't amuse each other. DJ tries goofy humor, and Ed does dry, sarcastic humor, or references old TV shows. They don't really relate to each other.

A good analysis. DJ feels out of place to me.

Thome_Fan
03-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Agreed. DJ is clueless.

ilsox7
03-21-2010, 05:15 PM
It seems like DJ is a good guy on a personal level. By most accounts of Farmer, he is an arrogant prick. Both suck at their jobs.

russ99
03-21-2010, 05:33 PM
A good analysis. DJ feels out of place to me.

Actually, it feels the other way for me. DJ's trying to bring a different mentality into the booth and Farmer seems stuck on his same old ways.

I hope they can work it out, as they're better than other alternatives right now.

asindc
03-21-2010, 05:39 PM

Farmer is not good at all as a play-by-play man. He always forgets that the radio audience cannot see the action.

doublem23
03-21-2010, 05:57 PM
It's not a coincidence that Farmer's best years were when he had Rooney or Stone by his side. He's fine in the #2 role, but when he thinks he's the ringleader at the circus, it is just brutal. Unfortunately DJ doesn't command the presence to keep Ed's ego in its place.

P.S., it's also no coincidence that Singleton, who was bad in the Sox radio booth, immediately turned into a good talking head at ESPN. I want to like Farmer because he's homegrown and he bleeds silver and black, but he is so ****ty on the radio, I just can't.

beasly213
03-21-2010, 06:33 PM
The problem I have with DJ isnt his content its his voice and how he delivers his content to us. It's really akward he has no real flow. I can't stand him sometimes.

Frontman
03-21-2010, 06:45 PM
It seems like DJ is a good guy on a personal level. By most accounts of Farmer, he is an arrogant prick. Both suck at their jobs.

Completely disagree with you; as I've met Farmio. All around nice guy; and stood talking baseball with me for about 20 minutes one time. Even brought his world series ring into the post office I worked to show any Sox fans who were working that day (one of the clerks at the time also went to St. Rita's; so there was that connection.)

Might not always be Mr. Sunshine; but Ed was/has been very nice to talk to the few times I've chatted with him.

I think its a case of new school versus old school; whereas DJ tries (and I do stress TRIES) to be current, whereas Ed is set in his ways.

Konerko05
03-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I actually think they are decent together. Way better than I thought they would be.

I think they understand each other's humors very well, but DJ's goofiness and Farmers deadpan responses might not translate well to most people listening.

I also heard they are very good friends outside the booth.

I honestly felt Hawk and Stone were much more awkward in the booth their first year together. I also expect them to improve considerably this season.

dickallen15
03-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Completely disagree with you; as I've met Farmio. All around nice guy; and stood talking baseball with me for about 20 minutes one time. Even brought his world series ring into the post office I worked to show any Sox fans who were working that day (one of the clerks at the time also went to St. Rita's; so there was that connection.)

Might not always be Mr. Sunshine; but Ed was/has been very nice to talk to the few times I've chatted with him.

I think its a case of new school versus old school; whereas DJ tries (and I do stress TRIES) to be current, whereas Ed is set in his ways.

I agree with you. I was always kind of anti-Farmio but last year we met him and DJ coming down in an elevator after the game. Farmio starts conversations with fans and really couldn't have been any nicer.

Lip Man 1
03-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Have never met Ed but spent 15 minutes or so talking baseball with D.J. before a game in May 2006. DJ is a very very nice guy, genuine and personable. Unfortunately he isn't a good broadcaster. Farmer is not a play by play man period but he was a sharp analyst, seemed to know what was going to happen ahead of time.

Dave is locked in to Tampa for awhile, I think he'd be willing to return to the Sox but not as second fiddle to Ed or to simply do two or three innings of play by play.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
03-21-2010, 09:05 PM
The problem I have with DJ isnt his content its his voice and how he delivers his content to us.

For me, at least, you hit the nail on the head.

Brian26
03-21-2010, 09:53 PM

LOL, phenomenal. Perfect analysis.

Brian26
03-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Farmer is not good at all as a play-by-play man. He always forgets that the radio audience cannot see the action.

This is absolutely correct. Many times he'll keep you hanging for 15 seconds waiting to find out if the ball hit into leftfield actually fell in for a single or was caught for an out.

Brian26
03-21-2010, 09:58 PM
P.S., it's also no coincidence that Singleton, who was bad in the Sox radio booth, immediately turned into a good talking head at ESPN.

Singleton sucked beyond belief in ways that cannot be attributed to Farmer. Singleton was a blackhole of talent. On ESPN, he looked like a deer in headlights. Is he even still employed over there? If he is, it's only because the telepromter is saving his behind.

thomas35forever
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
DJ is still better on the radio than Singleton. The most listenable team radio broadcast in town became unlistenable for two years.

sullythered
03-21-2010, 10:25 PM
I know this will seem weird, but I think both guys are kind of bad, but actually work pretty well together. I'm sort of amused by their contradicting senses of humor.

spawn
03-21-2010, 10:25 PM
IMO, Farmer is the worst play-by-play radio MLB broadcaster in Chicago. Pat Hughes is better than Farmer.

slavko
03-21-2010, 10:46 PM
IMO, Farmer is the worst play-by-play radio MLB broadcaster in Chicago. Pat Hughes is better than Farmer.

Second out of two...that's like last! Kidding aside, I think they get along fine and the season needs to start real soon now to give us something real to worry about. Relax kids.

TheBull
03-21-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree with you. I was always kind of anti-Farmio but last year we met him and DJ coming down in an elevator after the game. Farmio starts conversations with fans and really couldn't have been any nicer.

I have never been a big fan of Farmerís style, but after meeting him for the first time before last Saturdayís Sox-Cubs game at Cashman Field I came away impressed. Farmer came up to me and initiated a conversation and could not have been nicer. This does not make him a good announcer, but I will find his delivery less annoying as he spoke in a similar manner as he announces. Very nice guy and genuine.

jabrch
03-21-2010, 11:47 PM

Agreed...but I love Hughes game calls. I can't believe he deals with the putz in his booth and hasn't walked. DJ hasn't a choice but to deal with Hawk.

SephClone89
03-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Pat Hughes is class. Farmer and DJ are unlistenable. I want to hear Rongey do more games.

jabrch
03-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Pat Hughes is class. Farmer and DJ are unlistenable. I want to hear Rongey do more games.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? Are you telling me you don't listen or watch any Sox games?

SephClone89
03-22-2010, 01:20 AM
That's a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? Are you telling me you don't listen or watch any Sox games?

Yes, it's an exaggeration.

I consider them near-unlistenable, though. I sometimes get excited about listening to baseball on the good old radio, then just end up getting frustrated.

cards press box
03-22-2010, 01:35 AM
I like Farmer a lot, actually. He tells it like it is...he just doesn't get along well with many people, and he's probably better off as a color man than play-by-play. We really need John Rooney back, because that's the only way Farmer would agree to move back, I think. Still, I think he got along better with Singleton and Stone better than DJ.

It does not appear that Ed Farmer and D.J. have great chemistry but they are a whole lot better than Famer and Chris Singleton. Farmer and Singleton were awful and it sure seemed that Farner didn't get along with Singleton at all.

DJ does play-by-play quite well. The problem with the duo is really Farmer. His edginess is great for color commentary but is distracting in a play-by-play man. Farmer goes for long stretches without giving basic information (e.g., the scores, the number of outs, men on base).

I agree that Farmer is best suited to do color, with limited time (2-3 innings at play-by-play). If they flipped roles, the broadcast would be a lot better. With regard to John Rooney, I don't expect him to leave St. Louis. As for the voice of the Tampa Bay Rays . . .

Dave is locked in to Tampa for awhile, I think he'd be willing to return to the Sox but not as second fiddle to Ed or to simply do two or three innings of play by play. Lip

Dave Wills would be a great voice for the White Sox. With his knowledge of the Sox, their fan base and growing up on the South Side, Wills is the perfect choice for Sox radio.

Given his youth, Wills could become an iconic figure in the pantheon of Sox broadcasters. I agree with Lip that he won't back to be second fiddle. If Dave Wills returns to the Sox, it would have to be the primary Sox voice on the radio.

SoxThunder
03-22-2010, 11:48 AM
The best White Sox broadcasting duo would be John Rooney and Steve Stone for BOTH radio and TV feeds. It would sound professional and would be intellectually satisfying. Plus, the Sox would only have 2 broadcasters on the payroll instead of 4.

The Dodgers have had Vin Scully do both radio and TV for a long time. Do any other teams do this?

I groan at Farmer's awkward comments several times per game. He really is one of the strangest guys I've ever met. I agree that DJ is a nice guy, but not the best broadcaster.

soxfanreggie
03-22-2010, 11:53 AM

I've never been a Farmer fan and that's not because his voice gives me headaches when listening to him in the car for long distances. He's a nice person, just don't like him as an announcer. I would LOVE to get Rooney back. Too bad the Score won't offer him a big deal to get him back.

Yes Brian, Singleton is still with ESPN. I just saw him on Baseball Tonight.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2010, 12:13 PM
The Sox for years in the 70's and 80's had rotating broadcasters on both radio and TV during a game. Harry Caray was the main reason because of his popularity but Jimmy Piersall worked both TV and radio as did Joe McConnell on game day.

It's not done much anymore because radio and TV are two different mediums involving different skills and skill-sets.

Lip

munchman33
03-22-2010, 01:10 PM
You're got to really hate Ed Farmer to prefer DJ to him. The kind of hate that's pure evil in origin. There's no basis in rational thought that could lead to a preference of DJ as an announcer over Ed Farmer. Ed's an entirely different class. DJ shouldn't even be in the business.

Milkman43
03-22-2010, 01:47 PM
I think Farmer does a terrible job explaining the action that is happening on the field. When warrented, he often fails to express any emotion. For example, in his monotone voice: Swing and a fly ball to left field, Quentin reaches up and makes the catch at the wall. While the play could have been exciting, a near home run, it's just any ordinary play to Farmer and as a result, offers little enjoyment to the listener.

bigsoxfan420
03-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Aren't they doing shtick? I kind of like the back-and-forth they have. The acerbic comments seem to be done with at smile. Am I the only one that thinks this?

longshot7
03-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Hughes is unlistenable in my opinion. He sounds like Guy Smiley.

thomas35forever
03-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Hughes is unlistenable in my opinion. He sounds like Guy Smiley.
I don't think so. Smiley's got a higher voice.

Frontman
03-22-2010, 06:15 PM
You're got to really hate Ed Farmer to prefer DJ to him. The kind of hate that's pure evil in origin. There's no basis in rational thought that could lead to a preference of DJ as an announcer over Ed Farmer. Ed's an entirely different class. DJ shouldn't even be in the business.

:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:

So, if you like one over the other; you're evil?

And I can't find the Jack Burton photo of to ask, "Are you crazy, munchman? Is that it?"

Chez
03-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Aren't they doing shtick? I kind of like the back-and-forth they have. The acerbic comments seem to be done with at smile. Am I the only one that thinks this?

I agree. it reminds me of the old Smothers Brothers routines; but not nearly as funny.

downstairs
03-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Have never met Ed but spent 15 minutes or so talking baseball with D.J. before a game in May 2006. DJ is a very very nice guy, genuine and personable. Unfortunately he isn't a good broadcaster. Farmer is not a play by play man period but he was a sharp analyst, seemed to know what was going to happen ahead of time.

Dave is locked in to Tampa for awhile, I think he'd be willing to return to the Sox but not as second fiddle to Ed or to simply do two or three innings of play by play.

Lip

Farmer seems to "know what's going to happen" because he makes 5 predictions after every play!

"All right, lets get a single here, then a double advancing the runner to third, a wild pitch and score- and we'll be up one run!"

downstairs
03-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I agree. it reminds me of the old Smothers Brothers routines; but not nearly as funny.

I, too, believe its a shtick. I generally think its funny. I don't think he dislikes DJ, I just think he has a depricating, sarcastic sense of humor and is willing to rag on his partner.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Down:

I have a lot of audio on tape in my library, particularly from 2005, where Ed will say something like "if he throws a slider right here, it's a home run..." and it happens.

I was amazed how often it did. The man knows the game. He was a very good analyst.

Lip

downstairs
03-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Down:

I have a lot of audio on tape in my library, particularly from 2005, where Ed will say something like "if he throws a slider right here, it's a home run..." and it happens.

I was amazed how often it did. The man knows the game. He was a very good analyst.

Lip

Oh, I was just kidding with you a bit. I agree, I think he's a great analyst. Not so much play-by-play, but there are many worse options out there.

Farmer on the radio is one of my favorite sounds of summer, if that makes sense.

munchman33
03-22-2010, 10:39 PM
:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:

So, if you like one over the other; you're evil?

And I can't find the Jack Burton photo of to ask, "Are you crazy, munchman? Is that it?"

No, I'm saying if you hate Ed Farmer enough to think he's a worse announcer than DJ, then you obviously have some serious evil hatred for the man. Because, unlike DJ, Ed Farmer is able to be a baseball announcer.

Frontman
03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
No, I'm saying if you hate Ed Farmer enough to think he's a worse announcer than DJ, then you obviously have some serious evil hatred for the man. Because, unlike DJ, Ed Farmer is able to be a baseball announcer.

Gotcha. Misunderstood.

cnw8052
03-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Makes perfect sense to me. Just hearing him on the radio makes you think summer. Rooney's voice did the same for me.

Oh, I was just kidding with you a bit. I agree, I think he's a great analyst. Not so much play-by-play, but there are many worse options out there.

Farmer on the radio is one of my favorite sounds of summer, if that makes sense.

Ranger
03-23-2010, 03:59 AM
I've noticed weird comments between them before, and my dad told me that there was some sort of odd exchange between DJ and Rongey about Farmer when he left the booth briefly during Friday's game. Anyone else hear it?

I can guarantee you with absolute certainty that those two guys do not, in any way, dislike each other. They get a long really well, actually.

Ed's got dry humor and DJ has more of a goofy sense of humor. That's pretty muich all there is to it.

BainesHOF
03-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Yeah, I like Farmer much more as a color guy on the radio. In that role, he's very good. He's just not a play-by-play guy. DJ is alright, but he and Farmer just don't mix well.

I used to like Wills a lot when he started with us, but then he started to get blustery and a bit unprofessional, sort of the way that Joe Cowley is going.

Rooney is a great play-by-play guy. He and Farmer were a great team. I'm still mad at the Sox that they didn't pay Rooney what he was worth.

I like Hawk a lot. Stone, not so much. Stone's monotone voice is brutal. He's knowledgeable, but is swarmy and acts too often like he invented the game. Hearing Paciorek do that commercial that's on the air makes me wish he was still teamed with Hawk. But I guess we have Hawk to blame for their split, though Paciorek really didn't do his homework in his final year or two with us. I remember Paciorek always being unaware of basic news that was in the day's papers. To me, Drysdale was Hawk's best partner by far.

veeter
03-23-2010, 09:49 AM
It seems like DJ is a good guy on a personal level. By most accounts of Farmer, he is an arrogant prick. Both suck at their jobs.I agree 100%. I sometimes just won't listen to the radio. I wish they could, somehow, get Wills back for radio-play by play, and pair him with someone, anyone for the color job. And IMO, now that you've landed Stone, he should be paired with a low key, solid, no-name play by play guy. Put the spotlight on Stone, he's by far the best of the lot.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I think Farmer has fit well into the PBP role. I think DJ still tries to find his spot to interject when he can because Farmer's timing is so much different than Hawk's. Travelling and listening to games via the MLB app, I've heard way more of Farmer than before being able to watch games; I think there are better out there that do the job but not in this town. Like Lip said, he knows how to "see" a game.

doublem23
03-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Singleton sucked beyond belief in ways that cannot be attributed to Farmer. Singleton was a blackhole of talent. On ESPN, he looked like a deer in headlights. Is he even still employed over there? If he is, it's only because the telepromter is saving his behind.

I disagree. Singleton was terrible when he was here, and I originally thought it was just because he was a **** broadcaster, but he's very personable and well-spoken on ESPN, which probably can be explained a lot by the teleprompters, but overall he's 1,000,000x better on the Network than he ever was on the Score.

The same thing has played out in reverse with DJ and Farmer. DJ, who admittedly was terrible to start on TV, turned into a nice compliment to Hawk by the end of his stay on TV, is just brutal next to Farmer. Look at the common denominator. Farmer, DJ, and Singleton are all OK #2 guys, but none of them have the wit, command, or baseball savvy to be a headline broadcaster and as result, they all just blabber nonsense on the radio that really is unlistenable. When Rooney and Stone were in the booth, I would often turn down the TV and turn up the radio even at home, now, I only listen to the radio when I absolutely have to (like in the car), and even then, I'll just say **** it and wait until I get home.

Farmer is a giant black hole. He's fine when he's got someone to keep him in line, but like I said, when he thinks he's the star attraction, he's absolutely brutal.

doublem23
03-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Down:

Lip

I'd be willing to bet that for every 1 time he guessed correctly, he guessed incorrectly 10 times. Part of his shtick is making predictions, on average once ever other batter.

Farmer blows.

HomeFish
03-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Farmer seems to "know what's going to happen" because he makes 5 predictions after every play!

That's because Uribe told him what was going to happen before every game.

I'm a huge Ed Farmer fan. I've seriously considered buying a #22 Ed Farmer jersey.

spawn
03-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I disagree. Singleton was terrible when he was here, and I originally thought it was just because he was a **** broadcaster, but he's very personable and well-spoken on ESPN, which probably can be explained a lot by the teleprompters, but overall he's 1,000,000x better on the Network than he ever was on the Score.

I agree with this. Singleton was brutal as a color analyst on radio, but he's very good on ESPN. He's one of the few baseball guys on that show I can stomach watching.

veeter
03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree with this. Singleton was brutal as a color analyst on radio, but he's very good on ESPN. He's one of the few baseball guys on that show I can stomach watching.Yep. And he seems to send a little love the White Sox way on occasion.

downstairs
03-23-2010, 02:22 PM

The same thing has played out in reverse with DJ and Farmer. DJ, who admittedly was terrible to start on TV, turned into a nice compliment to Hawk by the end of his stay on TV, is just brutal next to Farmer. Look at the common denominator. Farmer, DJ, and Singleton are all OK #2 guys, but none of them have the wit, command, or baseball savvy to be a headline broadcaster and as result, they all just blabber nonsense on the radio that really is unlistenable. When Rooney and Stone were in the booth, I would often turn down the TV and turn up the radio even at home, now, I only listen to the radio when I absolutely have to (like in the car), and even then, I'll just say **** it and wait until I get home.

Farmer is a giant black hole. He's fine when he's got someone to keep him in line, but like I said, when he thinks he's the star attraction, he's absolutely brutal.

DJ, too, is not that bad on national TV. I don't know how many games he does, I haven't seen him since 2006... but he was remarkably different.

I think the reason is he was trying to hard to go along with Hawk's homer-ism. Which Hawk does well. DJ, well, just remember the "Uhhh-ohhh" home run call.

soxrme
03-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Farmer could leave tomorrow and I wouldn't miss him. He is one of the worst play by play guys in our history. I have been listening for over 50 years and none of them has irritated me like him. He does not "paint the picture". Pat Hughes is head and shoulders above him, Rooney was the best we had in a long time.

slavko
03-24-2010, 12:31 AM

I can hear them now. Together again. But I hear things all the time.

sullythered
03-24-2010, 05:21 AM
I agree, and again, weird, but I think they somehow work together. Despite DJ's amusing lack of skill.

shingo10
03-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Farmer and DJ are very entertaining to listen to in my opinion. Hopefully they are together for many years to come.

Also, I know I'm in the minority here but I feel that Stone is one of the most overrated broadcasters in the game. Not saying he is not good at what he does, I just think he's overrated. I much prefered the chemistry Hawk and DJ had.