PDA

View Full Version : J. Nathan To Have Tommy John Surgery

kevingrt
03-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Just was reported on ESPN.

That really sucks for the Twinkies. They are left in a tough spot in their bullpen now.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
That's great news for us. Kind of sucks though, he's a good pitcher and never really did anything for me not to like him but be amazing.

He was the only reason anyone ever thought the Twins bullpen might be better than ours... Now all they have on us is offense.

JermaineDye05
03-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Sucks for Nathan. The guy had a great career going. It would be really bad if he lost a good amount of velocity because of this. I don't know where he'd be without that fastball and hook.

ilsox7
03-21-2010, 02:14 PM
This very well could be the end of his career, which is why I think he tried to pitch with the injury.

thomas35forever
03-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Good for us, bad for him.

Dick Allen
03-21-2010, 02:48 PM
I feel bad for him, a helluva pitcher, but certainly don't feel bad for the ******* Twins. If his career is really over, if it's any consolation to him, I'm sure he's made enough $ to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

oeo
03-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I feel bad for him, a helluva pitcher, but certainly don't feel bad for the ******* Twins. If his career is really over, if it's any consolation to him, I'm sure he's made enough $ to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

He'll be making quite a bit more over the next two years as well. He's 36, so I'd say this is probably it. At the very least being an elite reliever is likely over.

Slappy
03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
:supernana:

Sorry, I don't wish ill will on the man. But in all seriousness, :bandance:

jabrch
03-21-2010, 04:00 PM
So do they go in house or do they try to get Bell or Downs?

WSox597
03-21-2010, 04:21 PM
If recent history is any indication, they'll bring up some rookie nobody has ever heard of, and he'll be lights out.

At least against the Sox.

That's the Twinkie Way, it seems.

Shame about Nathan, though.

ndgt10
03-21-2010, 04:59 PM
As a White Sox fan, awesome news for us!!!!!!!!

:)

soxfanreggie
03-21-2010, 08:23 PM
For Nathan, you feel bad for the guy. For the Twins, this really hurts. You can't go out and just acquire a guy (within their means) at the level of Nathan. Not sure what this does to them for next season, but it will probably decrease their win total some - who knows at what level.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-21-2010, 09:27 PM
...he's a good pitcher and never really did anything for me not to like him but be amazing.
I could have done without the constant whining after the Twins lost Game 163 to the Sox in 2008.:whiner::whiner::whiner:

DumpJerry
03-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Time to pull that trigger on the Jenks and Konerko for Mauer and Morneau. The Twins are desperadoes right now.

WhiteSox5187
03-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Time to pull that trigger on the Jenks and Konerko for Mauer and Morneau. The Twins are desperadoes right now.

We don't want Mauer, he can't call a game.

Boondock Saint
03-22-2010, 02:35 AM
We don't want Mauer, he can't call a game.

If you're going to make a snarky comment about Daver's posts, you should probably understand what he means when he says "call a game".

NoNeckEra
03-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Of all the fretting about the Sox' problems in the spring (Jenks, Teahan, etc), this is really the most impactful news of the spring for the Central.

This is at least a five game swing downward for the Twins, and could well turn the balance of power toward the Sox, as they were rated second, slightly behind the Twins in Vegas to win the Division.

mzh
03-23-2010, 11:48 AM
You have to feel bad for him, from what I've heard he really loves baseball, and this is most likely the end of his dominance if not his career, but with $30 Million in the bank it's not like he'll have to get a factory job or something.

On the good side, this really screws the Twins over. One of the biggest reasons they won last year was the ability to hold 1 and 2 run leads late into the game with the 1-2 punch of Guerrier/Nathan. This could really mess up their already weak pitching staff.

kitekrazy
03-23-2010, 11:53 AM
If recent history is any indication, they'll bring up some rookie nobody has ever heard of, and he'll be lights out.

At least against the Sox.

That's the Twinkie Way, it seems.

Shame about Nathan, though.

That would not surprise me at all. That team will never die a quick death.

guillensdisciple
03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
While I hate anyone having a season come to an end, I will admit that this makes the White Sox a greater threat in the Central without this guy closing games out on them.

downstairs
03-23-2010, 03:33 PM
This really shakes things up in the Central. How will the Sox, Detroit, maybe Cleveland fare against Minny now?

oeo
03-23-2010, 07:27 PM
If you're going to make a snarky comment about Daver's posts, you should probably understand what he means when he says "call a game".

Doesn't make it any less ridiculous. Catchers don't "call games" anymore. The fact that that's a reason why Mauer isn't better than past catchers is pretty funny.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-23-2010, 08:18 PM
That would not surprise me at all. That team will never die a quick death.
The Twins are not an organization, but an organism, like one of those lizards that grows another limb when you chop one off. Except in the case of the Twins, the new limb is stronger and faster (and has better sideburns) than the one it's replacing.

JermaineDye05
03-27-2010, 05:45 PM
This just sounds like another one of those Twins arms who will come up and immediately start dominating:

Anthony Slama (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-100327-whispers-rogers,0,1585892.story)

Gonzales mentions that he could be one of the candidates for closer. Here are his minor league stats:

Link (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=slama-001ant)

Granted, I don't follow the Twins farm system, but it always seems like these guys come out of nowhere.

thomas35forever
03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
The Twinkies are going with a closer-by-committee. What'll give first: this or our DH-by-committee?
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100328&content_id=8974406&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

FloridaTigers
03-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't feel bad at all about Nathan's injury. The Twins have had enough good luck in the last decade. Time for some bad luck, and frankly, it's about time. I never "wish it" upon anyone, but it could'nt have happened to a better franchise.

Marqhead
03-29-2010, 10:43 AM
The Twinkies are going with a closer-by-committee. What'll give first: this or our DH-by-committee?
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100328&content_id=8974406&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I'd say this gives first. One of the guys in that rotation will have solid outings and the others will falter and they'll have a go to guy by the end of April.

Nellie_Fox
03-29-2010, 12:13 PM
There was some speculation in the paper this morning about Liriano as an eventual closer. They said the Twins were not putting that out there, just that he seems unable to stay healthy for a whole season as a starter, that maybe closer will become the answer.

Marqhead
03-29-2010, 12:33 PM
There was some speculation in the paper this morning about Liriano as an eventual closer. They said the Twins were not putting that out there, just that he seems unable to stay healthy for a whole season as a starter, that maybe closer will become the answer.

Kerry Wood 2.0