PDA

View Full Version : Did I hear Stoney say, "Another man who will be in the Hall of Fame 5 years after..."

jabrch
03-20-2010, 05:11 PM
..he hangs em up when VIZQUEL came up to bat?

Um...Is that a lock? I don't know about that.

JermaineDye05
03-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Uh yeah, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion by everyone around baseball.

SephClone89
03-20-2010, 05:16 PM
2704 hits.

11 Gold Gloves.

JermaineDye05
03-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Also, wasn't he one of the better personalities around baseball? I know that really shouldn't matter but didn't Alomar get hurt in the balloting for spitting at the umpire?

jabrch
03-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Uh yeah, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion by everyone around baseball.

First ballot?

SephClone89
03-20-2010, 05:25 PM
First ballot?

Maybe, maybe not.

Why is it such a big deal if Stone said that he would be first ballot, and MAYBE he won't? I think you're being a bit overly critical and negative here.

Boondock Saint
03-20-2010, 05:27 PM
First ballot?

I don't see why not. If he isn't the best defender of this generation, the list of players ahead of him is very short.

jabrch
Maybe, maybe not.

Why is it such a big deal if Stone said that he would be first ballot, and MAYBE he won't? I think you're being a bit overly critical and negative here.

Yeah, that's me...overly critical...

I was just surprised to hear it and was proposing it a topic of discussion. No big deal.

I like what he did over his career. I just questoin if he is a first ballot HOFer. That's all.

doublem23
First ballot?

Yes.

tstrike2000
03-20-2010, 06:34 PM
First ballot HOF'er and one of the few guys that probably actually deserved the gold glove of the 11 he got.

DirtySox
03-20-2010, 06:37 PM
First ballot?

Yup.

jabrch
03-20-2010, 06:39 PM
First ballot HOF'er and one of the few guys that probably actually deserved the gold glove of the 11 he got.

D is half the game.

.273/.338/.355 is his slash line.

So he's Ozzie Smith?

I'm just not sure he's a 1st ballot guy.

TDog
03-20-2010, 06:45 PM
First ballot?

He isn't the player Looie Aparicio was, and Aparicio didn't get in on the first ballot. He isn't the player Ozzie Smith was, and Smith got in on the first ballot with plenty of votes to spare.

Vizquel will get into the Hall of Fame because of his defense. I don't know if it will be on the first ballot or whether that makes a difference.

jabrch
03-20-2010, 06:48 PM
He isn't the player Looie Aparicio was, and Aparicio didn't get in on the first ballot. He isn't the player Ozzie Smith was, and Smith got in on the first ballot with plenty of votes to spare.

Vizquel will get into the Hall of Fame because of his defense. I don't know if it will be on the first ballot or whether that makes a difference.

Agreed

I was just surprised that Stone was so convinced.

Daver
03-20-2010, 08:06 PM
What difference does first ballot or not make?

The baseball HOF is pathetic joke because it's voting process is ridiculous and it is more a popularity contest than it is a judge of achievement.

How is Don Drysdales career so far superior to Billy Pierces other than the fact that Drysdale pitched for a team that was popular at the time?

The baseball hall of fame can kiss my ass.

TheVulture
03-20-2010, 08:14 PM
What difference does first ballot or not make?

The baseball HOF is pathetic joke because it's voting process is ridiculous and it is more a popularity contest than it is a judge of achievement.

How is Don Drysdales career so far superior to Billy Pierces other than the fact that Drysdale pitched for a team that was popular at the time?

The baseball hall of fame can kiss my ass.

Not saying Pierce doesn't belong or that the HOF isn't a joke, but Drysdale had a sub 3.00 career ERA - I think that goes along way in some one coming to the conclusion he belonged. Kind of like a .300 hitter w/ 400 HRs vs. .292 hitter with 400 - that magic number makes the difference even though it's really not much of one.

On topic: I hope Vizquel is a HOFer. It's hard to compare him from players of different eras, but he was like Aparicio and Smith in that he was clearly the best defensive shortstop in the game for a long period of time. I don't think there's been any better than Vizquel since Smith, just like there weren't any better than Smith since Aparicio, though I can't say for sure since I never saw Aparicio or any other SS around before Ozzie. I'd definitely say Smith and later Vizquel were the best over the last 30 years.

BainesHOF
03-23-2010, 04:34 AM
Guillen was better than Smith for a year or two in the 1980s.

A. Cavatica
03-23-2010, 08:38 AM
I'd say no, he's a near miss.

jabrch
03-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Or Vida Blue and Jim Hunter...

Lots of guys are boarderline HOFers. Some get in, some don't. It is subjective and it is all in the eyes of the BBWA, so it absolutely favors guys who are media friendly. Always has been, always will be.

I love the HOF. I have been there 3 times and think the museum is one of the coolest things in the world. Some guys are out who I think should be in. Other guys are in who I don't think should be there. That doesn't diminish my appreciation for how awesome Cooperstown is. You may want it to kiss your ass. That's fine. I love it even if Pierce is out and DD is in!

jabrch
03-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Guillen was better than Smith for a year or two in the 1980s.

Wow....

In the 80s? I'm not sure about that - that was Smith's prime and Guillen's early years. In the early 90s, I might agree - Smith was living on reputation and Guillen was in his prime. OG didn't get multipel GGs (he got one) but that's largely because of the great SS in the AL during his career (Vizquel, Ripken, Fernandez). He certainly was in that team picture. But in his prime, Ozzie Smith was simply amazing.