PDA

View Full Version : Strasburg to AA

EMachine10
03-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Nats optioned Strasburg to AA after his 3rd Spring Training start.

JohnTucker0814
03-20-2010, 12:17 PM
It's alarming that teams send down their prospects because they don't want the arbitration clock to start. This is obviously the reason he was sent down. It's not like the Nationals have anything better for their rotation.

This has happened to a lot of prospects lately, Longoria and Wieters are two off the top of my head.

jamokes
03-20-2010, 12:25 PM
True about arbitration but this is a good move to let a younger player get the feel for pro ball as opposed to the metal bats in college.

HomeFish
03-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm going to take the under on Strasburg's career. He has a lot of hype to live up to.

doublem23
03-20-2010, 12:41 PM
It's alarming that teams send down their prospects because they don't want the arbitration clock to start. This is obviously the reason he was sent down. It's not like the Nationals have anything better for their rotation.

This has happened to a lot of prospects lately, Longoria and Wieters are two off the top of my head.

Please, they've already thrown a boatload of money at Strasburg, there's nothing wrong with protecting their investment and making sure he's ready for life in the MLB and that he'll be effective once he arrives. The worst thing the Nats could do is rush him, waste some of his arb years, and then have to let him go just when he starts to figure the game out.

The numbers are staggeringly in favor of the Nationals' decision.

veeter
03-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Please, they've already thrown a boatload of money at Strasburg, there's nothing wrong with protecting their investment and making sure he's ready for life in the MLB and that he'll be effective once he arrives. The worst thing the Nats could do is rush him, waste some of his arb years, and then have to let him go just when he starts to figure the game out.

The numbers are staggeringly in favor of the Nationals' decision.Well put. Plus, guys get promoted, to the bigs, out of AA all the time.

cws05champ
03-20-2010, 03:15 PM
No doubt....he needs to learn to pitch every 5th day as well as get a feel for Pro ball. The Nats aren't going to win this year anyway, so why rush him? That it delays his arb clock is just a bonus. He's either up after3 weeks or in early June like Beckham.

jabrch
03-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Not really...if he is as good as predicted, he will be a Super Two and it won't matter. Same with Longoria and Wieters. I think they don't want him throwing 230 innings at his age in his first MLB season. It is good that they are being cautious and not burning this kid's arm up in a meaningless year for them.

doublem23
03-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Not really...if he is as good as predicted, he will be a Super Two and it won't matter. Same with Longoria and Wieters. I think they don't want him throwing 230 innings at his age in his first MLB season. It is good that they are being cautious and not burning this kid's arm up in a meaningless year for them.

Well, no, Longoria signed that monster extension that bought out his arb years.

jabrch
03-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Well, no, Longoria signed that monster extension that bought out his arb years.

But when they held him down, they didn't know that would be signed. It would have been irrelevant since he'd have likely been a Super Two based on when they brought him up and knowing he's going to play every day for 2.5 yrs.

GAsoxfan
03-21-2010, 05:23 PM

The Braves did the same thing with Hanson last year. Hopefully they don't follow the same strategy with Heyward.

doublem23
03-21-2010, 05:47 PM
But when they held him down, they didn't know that would be signed. It would have been irrelevant since he'd have likely been a Super Two based on when they brought him up and knowing he's going to play every day for 2.5 yrs.

Well, considering they announced the deal something like the day after his MLB debut, I'm sure the reason he was brought up was because the Rays knew they'd bought out his arb years.