PDA

View Full Version : Will Leitch writes Sox preview...I think.

soltrain21
03-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Will Leitch has been writing his preview for each team on Deadspin. Today was the White Sox. It, really,...has nothing to do with the White Sox.

http://deadspin.com/5494584/chicago-white-sox-non+performance-is-no-indicator-of-future-results

Foulke You
03-17-2010, 05:00 PM
An excellent article with tons of insight on the White Sox.

doublem23
03-17-2010, 05:39 PM
That's sort of how they've all been in this series.

JohnTucker0814
03-17-2010, 05:41 PM
I expected better from him. I wasn't expecting any insight into how we'd do, but I thought he would include a few more White Sox things, other than 1 sentance about Teahen... very dissapointed!

soltrain21
03-17-2010, 05:42 PM
That's sort of how they've all been in this series.

Oh, I've read them all. I used to like Will - but I think he has come too pretentious and Rick Reilly like for his own good. It went to his head, or something.

munchman33
03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Tell me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure these are just excerpts from his new book.

pythons007
03-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Tell me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure these are just excerpts from his new book.

If so, his book is a peice of crap.

DaveFeelsRight
03-18-2010, 08:41 AM
even the comments on that article are pointing out that it sucks lol

Marqhead
03-18-2010, 08:48 AM

I believe they are a combination of excerpts and new material, but I could be wrong.

even the comments on that article are pointing out that it sucks lol

The comments have been ripping into him pretty good for calling these "previews." In my opinion, trying to throw out my Sox bias the Sox preview had less content about the team than any of the other previews so far.

I'm not sure what people are getting so upset about, if I was looking for in depth analysis of the Sox Deadspin wouldn't be my first choice.

longshot7
03-18-2010, 02:45 PM
I emailed him "This is a White Sox preview?" and here's his response:

"Well, they're more columns about how a team FEELS. I figure people can
get the stats and a traditional "preview" anywhere. But that said: I
don't know if they're any good or not! They're fun to write, though ..."

fwiw.......

forrestg
03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
to use steve Martin's line from plane, trains and automobiles, a coversation withJohn Candy, who's character talked insessantly about nothing." Stories are so much interesting if they have a point."

soltrain21
03-19-2010, 04:45 PM
I emailed him "This is a White Sox preview?" and here's his response:

"Well, they're more columns about how a team FEELS. I figure people can
get the stats and a traditional "preview" anywhere. But that said: I
don't know if they're any good or not! They're fun to write, though ..."

fwiw.......

So the White Sox feel like a failed prospect? I'm not following.

southside rocks
03-21-2010, 02:28 PM
If so, his book is a peice of crap.

I thought his first one was too. I bought it, read it, and didn't bother to keep it. As much as I used to like Deadspin, 4-5 years ago, I was really disappointed by WL's book.

doublem23
03-21-2010, 03:02 PM
So the White Sox feel like a failed prospect? I'm not following.

Maybe... I know we all live and breath Sox baseball all year, but it is possible that to outsiders, the Sox aren't a very interesting team going into 2010... we're coming off a losing season, we play in a bad division... I'm sure if any of us tried to write previews for all 30 teams, we'd probably have to mail in at least a couple.

Leitch's previews have been very hit or miss. There have been a few I've really liked, but the rest have been real stinkers, IMO. But I understand why he's allowed to pretty much do whatever he wants.

Rohan
03-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Hahaha... Will Leitch: Title Is No Indicator Of Future Paragraphs

asindc
03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Maybe... I know we all live and breath Sox baseball all year, but it is possible that to outsiders, the Sox aren't a very interesting team going into 2010... we're coming off a losing season, we play in a bad division... I'm sure if any of us tried to write previews for all 30 teams, we'd probably have to mail in at least a couple.

Leitch's previews have been very hit or miss. There have been a few I've really liked, but the rest have been real stinkers, IMO. But I understand why he's allowed to pretty much do whatever he wants.

I'm sure if I was a journalist and "mailed in" some of my assignments, I would expect my management and my readers to notice. If he thinks the team will suck, he should write that. Anything less is unprofessional.

doublem23
03-25-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm sure if I was a journalist and "mailed in" some of my assignments, I would expect my management and my readers to notice. If he thinks the team will suck, he should write that. Anything less is unprofessional.

Yeah, but Will Leitch isn't just a schmuck desk jockey writing for the Palookaville Post; he's reached a level at Deadspin that he can do basically whatever he feels like and people will still eat it up. I mean, he doesn't even write regularly at Deadspin any more. I've read every MLB Preview so far and I think as a whole, they're pretty good. I don't know whether he gets paid anything to do this or not, but I'm sure he approaches them as a fan first and not pretending to be a professional journalist (which would be consistent with the way he ran Deadspin while he was editor and its only arguably the #1 sports blog on the internet). So no, I don't hold it against him for mailing in 1-2 previews. It just sucks that we have a boring team.

soltrain21
03-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, but Will Leitch isn't just a schmuck desk jockey writing for the Palookaville Post; he's reached a level at Deadspin that he can do basically whatever he feels like and people will still eat it up. I mean, he doesn't even write regularly at Deadspin any more. I've read every MLB Preview so far and I think as a whole, they're pretty good. I don't know whether he gets paid anything to do this or not, but I'm sure he approaches them as a fan first and not pretending to be a professional journalist (which would be consistent with the way he ran Deadspin while he was editor and its only arguably the #1 sports blog on the internet). So no, I don't hold it against him for mailing in 1-2 previews. It just sucks that we have a boring team.

What is your opinion of Daulerio? I think the site has really suffered with him as editor. It's still good, it's just not nearly as good.

doublem23
03-26-2010, 05:56 AM
What is your opinion of Daulerio? I think the site has really suffered with him as editor. It's still good, it's just not nearly as good.

Yeah, I agree, I think the major difference between the two is that Leitch either didn't take the whole thing as serious (or he did a great job of hiding it) while Daulerio really wants to straddle the line between serious journalism and videos of guys playing with dogs' balls at a dog show. I always felt like Leitch tried to approach everything from the view of a fan and I don't always get that impression from Daulerio.

Oh, and the weekends he hands the site over to Moe make me want to kill myself. I can't believe he's done it more than once.

doublem23
04-01-2010, 11:52 PM
His Phillies' preview from today and the Orioles' preview from yesterday are an example of his work at its best...

http://deadspin.com/5507294/philadelphia-phillies-10000-losses

http://deadspin.com/5506297/baltimore-orioles-the-stacked-deck

Both are concise and remarkably profound for their length. He punted the Sox one for sure, but so far the series has been very good.

soltrain21
04-02-2010, 12:10 AM
His Phillies' preview from today and the Orioles' preview from yesterday are an example of his work at its best...

http://deadspin.com/5507294/philadelphia-phillies-10000-losses

http://deadspin.com/5506297/baltimore-orioles-the-stacked-deck

Both are concise and remarkably profound for their length. He punted the Sox one for sure, but so far the series has been very good.

I did think the Phillies one was great.