PDA

View Full Version : Elijah Dukes Available

g0g0
03-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Any interested in Dukes? I think he's a solid player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2010/news/story?id=5002750&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

DirtySox
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Likely due to interest in Jermaine Dye.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/03/nationals-interested-in-former-sox-outfielder-dye.html

(Is this thread in the right forum?)

soxinem1
03-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Likely due to interest in Jermaine Dye.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/03/nationals-interested-in-former-sox-outfielder-dye.html

(Is this thread in the right forum?)

I would think this is 'Talking Baseball' stuff until it turns into a 'Dukes to White Sox' thread.

Someone will pick up Dukes in a hurry based on his talent and tools.

There must have been a real strong personality issue there. I think Dukes better realize what he is pissing away, if he is indeed Milton Bradley, Jr.

WAS might be a good spot for JD to prove he can still play everyday, if this indeed does happen.

jabrch
03-17-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll pass. Don't need the baggage for a guy who is a lot of promise with very little delivery.

If he wants a minor league deal, then I guess I'd consider it - but no reason to bring him to the club.

oeo
03-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Ouch for Dye if he signs in Washington. I'd think he would retire before rotting there. Though if he plays well, he would probably be traded to a contender.

asindc
03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Ouch for Dye if he signs in Washington. I'd think he would retire before rotting there. Though if he plays well, he would probably be traded to a contender.

Though I don't disagree with you, I would love to see it from a personal standpoint. I could wear my Dye Sox game jersey to the Sox-Nats series!:smile:

g0g0
03-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I could wear my Dye Sox game jersey to the Sox-Nats series!:smile:

Man that would really screw people up! :D:

thomas35forever
03-17-2010, 04:12 PM
No thanks. I've heard enough about him to know he's bad news.

Over By There
03-17-2010, 04:22 PM
No thanks. "You dead, dawg. I ain't even bull****ting. Your kids, too." (http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/23/Tampabay/Ballplayer_s_wife__He.shtml)

DumpJerry
03-17-2010, 04:23 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought "hey ladies, you really don't want to date this guy."

spawn
03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought "hey ladies, you really don't want to date this guy."
:rolling:

tm1119
03-17-2010, 04:39 PM
No thanks. "You dead, dawg. I ain't even bull****ting. Your kids, too." (http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/23/Tampabay/Ballplayer_s_wife__He.shtml)

Im not trying to defend the guy becasue I honestly dont know much about him, but from all reports hes stayed pretty well behaved in Washington. I read that they even let go of the public relations guy that was responsible for him and started to give him a lot of freedom with the media and everything. Now, the fact that they suddenly let him go looks kinda suspicious. But the point that Im trying to make is that you cant condemn a guy for something he did when he was 21. If something comes out within the next few days that Washington cut him because of his attitude or whatever then that would be a different story.

asindc
03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Im not trying to defend the guy becasue I honestly dont know much about him, but from all reports hes stayed pretty well behaved in Washington. I read that they even let go of the public relations guy that was responsible for him and started to give him a lot of freedom with the media and everything. Now, the fact that they suddenly let him go looks kinda suspicious. But the point that Im trying to make is that you cant condemn a guy for something he did when he was 21. If something comes out within the next few days that Washington cut him because of his attitude or whatever then that would be a different story.

The initial reports here are that Nats management is adamant that it is not a behavior issue, just strictly a baseball-performance issue.

tm1119
03-17-2010, 04:55 PM
The initial reports here are that Nats management is adamant that it is not a behavior issue, just strictly a baseball-performance issue.

Makes no sense because he still had 1 option left. Unless they think he has absolutely 0 chance at ever being a big league player, but the fact that he hit .260 with a very good .386 OBP in '08 says otherwise. Maybe hes not destined to be a star or even a starter, but I see no reason to up and cut him.

Something had to have happened if you ask me. Maybe he just didnt get along with the team or manager, but to cut a guy with an option left who has some upside makes no sense.

johnnyg83
03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
mlb channel running a poll asking where he'll land. The choices are 1) GIANTS 2) WHITE SOX 3) YANKEES 4) OUT OF BASEBALL.

And the Washington Post is quoting the GM as saying the clubhouse atmosphere will be immediately better.

PalehosePlanet
03-17-2010, 05:48 PM

It wasn't an actual PR guy, it was an ex-cop who served as a 24/7 babysitter for Dukes, shadowing him everywhere he'd go to keep him out of trouble.

WSox597
03-18-2010, 07:02 AM
mlb channel running a poll asking where he'll land. The choices are 1) GIANTS 2) WHITE SOX 3) YANKEES 4) OUT OF BASEBALL.

And the Washington Post is quoting the GM as saying the clubhouse atmosphere will be immediately better.

If he can catch a football, add the Oakland Raiders to that list. Seems like he'd fit right in to their "mystique".

LOL

Sam Spade
03-18-2010, 08:30 AM
You are going by what he said 3 years ago, when he was 23?

I'd pick him up for sure.

Well said.

jabrch
03-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Unless he wants to go to the minors, I see no reason management would discuss him.

He's no lock to be as effective as Kotsay, Jones, De Aza. He's not worth investing time that needs to go into Danks and other prospects in our system.

Sure - if he want to go to AAA, I guess I'd take a look at no cost, but I wouldn't make him any promises of anything significant.

And the first time he acts up, I'd cut his ass.

WSox597
03-18-2010, 12:01 PM

I'd pick him up for sure.

Well said.

23 is an adult, and threatening to murder someone and their kids, should give anyone pause. That's not exactly normal behavior. Many people would consider those fighting words, when used about their families.

Let the cops handle him, that's what they get paid to do.

DumpJerry
03-18-2010, 12:07 PM

23 is an adult, and threatening to murder someone and their kids, should give anyone pause. That's not exactly normal behavior. Many people would consider those fighting words, when used about their families.

My reaction, too. So what if he was 23? He is still responsible for his actions. So what if it was three years ago? If you knew your sister (or yourself if you're a woman) was going on a date with a 30 year old guy who violently raped someone when he was 23 years old seven long years ago, would you still want that date to happen? I doubt it.

I'm not saying Dukes violently raped someone, I'm just saying that age and time are not always a valid excuse for dismissing past misdeeds.

Sam Spade
03-18-2010, 10:56 PM
My reaction, too. So what if he was 23? He is still responsible for his actions. So what if it was three years ago? If you knew your sister (or yourself if you're a woman) was going on a date with a 30 year old guy who violently raped someone when he was 23 years old seven long years ago, would you still want that date to happen? I doubt it.

I'm not saying Dukes violently raped someone, I'm just saying that age and time are not always a valid excuse for dismissing past misdeeds.
Why even try to compare a threat, likely with nothing behind it other than attempting to make someone fearful, to committing a violent rape? Its absurd. One is words. One is physically, psychologically and sexually abusing a person.

You might be right about what you are trying to say, but your argument sucks.

Sam Spade
03-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Obviously 23 is an adult. That's not to say that he knows his place in the world at 23. A lot of people have no idea who they are, or are incredibly delusional at that time in their life. Going through mistakes like this is how such a person grows.

Huh? It was handled by now I'm sure.

WSox597
03-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Obviously 23 is an adult. That's not to say that he knows his place in the world at 23. A lot of people have no idea who they are, or are incredibly delusional at that time in their life. Going through mistakes like this is how such a person grows.

Huh? It was handled by now I'm sure.

Obviously, I meant if he does it again. Then, you let the cops handle it. Many people are married at 23, so the whole "knows his place in the world" argument doesn't hold water.

Bump34
03-19-2010, 09:44 AM
I would stay as far away from this guy as you can... A bad guy that does nothing to help team chemistry...PERIOD!!! And overrated as a baseball player too!!!

jabrch
03-19-2010, 09:49 AM
I would stay as far away from this guy as you can... A bad guy that does nothing to help team chemistry...PERIOD!!! And overrated as a baseball player too!!!

I'll take it first hand from someone who knows...thanks Dave.

I assume from your post you believe in team chemistry and a MLB team is more than just the sum of its measureables?

Sam Spade
03-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Obviously, I meant if he does it again. Then, you let the cops handle it. Many people are married at 23, so the whole "knows his place in the world" argument doesn't hold water.
In that case, it seems like you are condemning him for things he has even done yet. 'Let the cops handle this future repeat offender! Uh, when he offends again, I mean, obviously'

My arguement holds water for many reasons. Half or more of those people end up divorced. A mistake of a marriage is not a sign of grounded behavior. Nor is a continued marriage, in my opinion. I could name a thousand married at 23 murderers given the time.

Even if you weren't making logical fallacies about all of that, what one group of many does doesn't cancel out another large group of people. There is no mutual exclusion between many married people and many people not knowing what they are doing in life.

I don't mean to seem harsh, but I'm not one to placate false understanding.

WSox597
03-20-2010, 06:36 AM
In that case, it seems like you are condemning him for things he has even done yet. 'Let the cops handle this future repeat offender! Uh, when he offends again, I mean, obviously'

My arguement holds water for many reasons. Half or more of those people end up divorced. A mistake of a marriage is not a sign of grounded behavior. Nor is a continued marriage, in my opinion. I could name a thousand married at 23 murderers given the time.

Even if you weren't making logical fallacies about all of that, what one group of many does doesn't cancel out another large group of people. There is no mutual exclusion between many married people and many people not knowing what they are doing in life.

I don't mean to seem harsh, but I'm not one to placate false understanding.

Responsibility is what I was speaking about. Many people at 23 are responsible adults, and don't do things like he was accused of. And all people at 23 are legal adults, with all that entails.

Bottom line for the Sox, stay far away from this guy.

Bump34
03-21-2010, 08:05 PM
I'll take it first hand from someone who knows...thanks Dave.

I assume from your post you believe in team chemistry and a MLB team is more than just the sum of its measureables?

I agree...Well said!!!

34 Inch Stick
03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
He can beat you in a lot of ways.