PDA

View Full Version : Sox WGN-TV Commercial

Hitmen77
03-16-2010, 11:19 PM
I saw a commercial on WGN-TV tonight for their White Sox coverage. It commemorates "over 40 years" of broadcasting Sox games.

What I found interesting is that the commercial seemed to show footage of the end of Horlen's 1967 no-hitter at Comiskey Park (with Jack Brickhouse calling the game). I don't think I have ever seen any footage of that no-hitter. Does anyone know if a video of WGN's coverage of that game (or other old games) exists? I thought that video of most, if not all of those old games were destroyed. But they apparently have at least a clip of the ending of that game.

LITTLE NELL
03-17-2010, 07:13 AM
I've seen footage of the last out many times but can't remember where. WSI has it in its audio memories.
Remember the game well, besides the no hitter it was a crucial win during the last weeks of that great 1967 pennant race. If only that team had some hitting to go along with one of the best Sox pitching staffs in their history.

Railsplitter
03-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Somebody once showed a highlight film of the 1967 season (perhaps Channel 44 during a rain delay back in the late 70's). Horlen's no-hitter was part of a the film.

JohnnyInnsbrook
03-17-2010, 09:44 AM
9tpZxtaLD2E

ewokpelts
03-17-2010, 09:53 AM
cool video.

Lip Man 1
03-17-2010, 10:28 AM
The actual TV broadcast of Horlen's no-hitter no longer exists. That was film shot of the game which Jack Brickhouse later voiced over after the fact.

Considering Sox actual TV video before the late 1970's is extremely rare, it's certainly better than nothing to have something from Joe's accomplishment.

Lip

GoSox2K3
03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
WGN is actually showing that Harry Caray was part of White Sox history? :o:

Amazing what happens now that the Tribune no longer owns the Cubs.

JohnnyInnsbrook
03-17-2010, 10:37 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking. Does this video happen if WGN still owns the cubs?

kba
03-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Very nice spot, but the "40 year" reference is a little odd. This season will mark 21 consecutive years that the Sox have been on WGN. Plus there was one season in the early 80's. And I guess 18 other seasons pre-1968??

Lip Man 1
03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
KBA:

I was just getting ready to post that thought myself.

According to the White Sox media guide, WGN televised the Sox from the start of the 1948 season through the end of the 1967 year. (That's 20 seasons). They televised them in 1981, then televised them from the start of the 1990 season through the end of the 2009 one. (That's another 20 seasons).

Add it all up and WGN has televised the Sox for 41 years. This will be there 42nd season.

Someone at WGN doesn't know their Sox history apparently.

Lip

SephClone89
03-17-2010, 11:04 AM

First thing I thought when I saw this on TV last week.

Hitmen77
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
KBA:

I was just getting ready to post that thought myself.

According to the White Sox media guide, WGN televised the Sox from the start of the 1948 season through the end of the 1967 year. (That's 20 seasons). They televised them in 1981, then televised them from the start of the 1990 season through the end of the 2009 one. (That's another 20 seasons).

Add it all up and WGN has televised the Sox for 41 years. This will be there 42nd season.

Someone at WGN doesn't know their Sox history apparently.

Lip

To be fair, the commercial just says "For 40 Years..." and I took that to mean WGN just rounded to 40 to say that they've been doing Sox games for (at least) 40 years now. It doesn't specifically claim this is their 40th season covering the White Sox.

Interesting that it's been 20 years now since the Sox returned to having games on WGN. After all this time, it still feels to me like Channel 9 is the Cubs station and the Sox are the "visitors" to them.

By the way, I think the commercial looks pretty cool. Kudos to WGN for putting together that old footage. It makes me excited for the season to begin:cool:

....and yes, I was surprised to see an acknowledgment of Harry Caray (and Brickhouse for that matter) as part of Sox history. I guess times are a changing. I wonder if a number of Cubs fans are confused about seeing Harry in that commercial.:redneck

VeeckAsInWreck
03-18-2010, 04:37 PM
I know they only had 30 seconds, but I'm surprised that no footage from the Wilson Alvarez no-hitter from '91 was in there. That game was on WGN.

Lorenzo Barcelo
03-18-2010, 06:29 PM
I know they only had 30 seconds, but I'm surprised that no footage from the Wilson Alvarez no-hitter from '91 was in there. That game was on WGN.

I was only 5, but I could have sworn watching that afternoon game on CBS. But then again, I was 5.

Medford Bobby
03-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Old Comiskey looks better and better as time goes by.....

Brian26
03-18-2010, 07:54 PM
I was only 5, but I could have sworn watching that afternoon game on CBS. But then again, I was 5.

I'm 100% positive Hawk and Paciorek called that game. I'm also pretty sure it was a Sunday afternoon game because I've got a tape laying around somewhere with highlights of the game from George Michael's Sports Machine.

SephClone89
03-18-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm 100% positive Hawk and Paciorek called that game. I'm also pretty sure it was a Sunday afternoon game because I've got a tape laying around somewhere with highlights of the game from George Michael's Sports Machine.

The "White Sox Memories" DVD that came out last summer has the final outs of a bunch of Sox no-hitters, and I just checked the DVD for this, and Alvarez's no-no on this DVD is definitely not called by Wimpy and Hawk.

Brian26
03-18-2010, 08:35 PM
The "White Sox Memories" DVD that came out last summer has the final outs of a bunch of Sox no-hitters, and I just checked the DVD for this, and Alvarez's no-no on this DVD is definitely not called by Wimpy and Hawk.

I don't have that DVD yet, but there are numerous possible reasons why they couldn't use the WGN television feed. Perhaps it's the Sox radio call (Rooney and Wayne Hagin) or maybe the Baltimore tv or radio feed they used.

I clearly remember Hawk's "YES" when Alvarez struck out the last guy, and Hawk also yelled "One Dog!" when Lance made that great catch in RCF.

ewokpelts
03-19-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't have that DVD yet, but there are numerous possible reasons why they couldn't use the WGN television feed. Perhaps it's the Sox radio call (Rooney and Wayne Hagin) or maybe the Baltimore tv or radio feed they used.

I clearly remember Hawk's "YES" when Alvarez struck out the last guy, and Hawk also yelled "One Dog!" when Lance made that great catch in RCF.

some things dont change with hawk.....

Lip Man 1
03-19-2010, 09:43 AM
The Alvarez no-hitter was a Sunday afternoon game televised by both WGN in Chicago and HTS (Home Team Sports) to the Baltimore area.

The video you see and hear on the White Sox DVD is the HTS call of the game but both Hawk and Tom did call it for the Chicago market. I have the WGN highlights in my library as well as the postgame interview on the field with Tom and Alvarez.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
03-20-2010, 11:47 AM

It was on WGN.I watched the whole game.
Sunday, August 1st, 1991.
Of course, the next night, the Sox lost in extra innings,
and they missed the playoffs after a horrendous losing streak that handed the Twinkies the (then) A.L. West crown.

sox1970
03-20-2010, 12:05 PM
and they missed the playoffs after a horrendous losing streak that handed the Twinkies the (then) A.L. West crown.

The Alvarez no-hitter was Aug 11, 1991. John Daly became a folk hero that day too.

TommyJohn
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
and they missed the playoffs after a horrendous losing streak that handed the Twinkies the (then) A.L. West crown.I remember that. Richard Roeper wrote a glowing column after the no-hitter about how the Sox were destined for World Series glory. And then-they went into a 2-15 tailspin, during which they were no-hit themselves. By the time they righted themselves the Twins were 9 games ahead and pretty much had the division all but clinched. Roeper wrote a red-faced retraction column in which he mentioned a couple of fans who accused him of jinxing the team.

TheCommander
03-20-2010, 11:23 PM
The Alvarez no-hitter was Aug 11, 1991.

Also my 18th birthday. :bandance: