PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Rookies Progress Report

Hitmen77
03-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Since I haven't had a change to follow the Sox much this spring except in the box scores, I was wondering which Sox rookies have looked good this spring and might be good candidates to be productive members of the White Sox at some point in the near future.

The names that I've heard of are Jordan Danks, Sergio Santos, CJ Retherford, Alejandro De Aza among others.

(note: I wasn't sure if this should go in the Clubhouse or Minor League forum. Mods, please move if this is in the wrong place)

DSpivack
03-14-2010, 07:31 PM
De Aza is more of an 'organization'/depth guy a this point than anything else, no?

KRS1
03-14-2010, 07:55 PM
De Aza is more of an 'organization'/depth guy a this point than anything else, no?

At this point, not in my mind. I've not yet tagged him as a AAAA guy like most have as that ankle injury really derailed him for 1 and a half seasons, and he has some nice tools. Not that I see him as an every day player right now, but I like him as a fourth OF'er (obviously doesn't fit here).

JermaineDye05
03-14-2010, 07:56 PM
At this point, not in my mind. I've not yet tagged him as a AAAA guy like most have as that ankle injury really derailed him for 1 and a half seasons, and he has some nice tools. Not that I see him as an every day player right now, but I like him as a fourth OF'er (obviously doesn't fit here).

He's good insurance if someone gets hurt.

Hitmen77
03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
What about Retherford? Would he be ready/able at some point this year to be a back up if someone in our infield goes down?

JB98
03-15-2010, 12:59 AM
What about Retherford? Would he be ready/able at some point this year to be a back up if someone in our infield goes down?

Retherford is playing himself into contention for a roster spot. He is outplaying both Nix and Lillibridge. Ozzie has taken notice:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0315-white-sox-bits--20100314,0,450517.story

jabrch
03-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Retherford is playing himself into contention for a roster spot. He is outplaying both Nix and Lillibridge. Ozzie has taken notice:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0315-white-sox-bits--20100314,0,450517.story

Hawk loves him...not sure if that's good or bad...

JB98
03-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Hawk loves him...not sure if that's good or bad...

I've only seen Retherford play twice. He seems fine. Nothing special, but he's not embarrassing himself out there either.

Lillibridge was asked to cut down his Ks, and he's pretty much failed to do so from what I've seen and read. I can't see him being on the roster on April 5.

It comes down to whether Retherford, who has never played above AA, can beat out Nix. The Sox don't have too many roster spots open, two maybe three at most. That last infield job could develop into one of the few battles in camp.

LoveYourSuit
03-15-2010, 02:50 AM
Lillibridge would be an embarrassment to any ML roster.

Let's hope the Sox do not embarrass us Sox fans again by having this clown be one of the 25 who wears our uniform for opening day.

Nellie_Fox
03-15-2010, 02:58 AM
Lillibridge would be an embarrassment to any ML roster.

Let's hope the Sox do not embarrass us Sox fans again by having this clown be one of the 25 who wears our uniform for opening day.I think you can express your desire for him to not be on the opening-day roster without calling him a clown.

veeter
03-15-2010, 09:12 AM
I've only seen Retherford play twice. He seems fine. Nothing special, but he's not embarrassing himself out there either.

Lillibridge was asked to cut down his Ks, and he's pretty much failed to do so from what I've seen and read. I can't see him being on the roster on April 5.

It comes down to whether Retherford, who has never played above AA, can beat out Nix. The Sox don't have too many roster spots open, two maybe three at most. That last infield job could develop into one of the few battles in camp.The old saying, 'if you can hit, they'll find a place for you', hopefully applies here. Retherford can hit. Lillibridge and Nix can't. It's only camp, I know, but Retherford never looks over- matched. Nix seems to be getting worse.

SI1020
03-15-2010, 10:15 AM
I think you can express your desire for him to not be on the opening-day roster without calling him a clown. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you Nellie but Lillibridge is awful. You don't get in the playoffs or win titles with guys like him on the roster.

spawn
03-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you Nellie but Lillibridge is awful. You don't get in the playoffs or win titles with guys like him on the roster.
Doesn't mean he deserves to be called a clown. Insulting his ability to play the game is one thing. Insulting him personally is a different matter all together. And if you would've read Nellie's post, you would see the distinction.

SI1020
03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Doesn't mean he deserves to be called a clown. Insulting his ability to play the game is one thing. Insulting him personally is a different matter all together. And if you would've read Nellie's post, you would see the distinction. Shall I self flaggelate? Will that be sufficient punishment? OK I stand corrected. Even though I didn't call him a clown. Now who is going to come to the defense of Ozzie, KW, Jim Bowden, Lane Kiffin, Vinnie Del Negro, Christobal Huet, Nick Swisher and who knows how many others?

Nellie_Fox
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Shall I self flaggelate? Will that be sufficient punishment? OK I stand corrected. Even though I didn't call him a clown. Now who is going to come to the defense of Ozzie, KW, Jim Bowden, Lane Kiffin, Vinnie Del Negro, Christobal Huet, Nick Swisher and who knows how many others?I'm not in favor of calling people names, period. Criticize their performance, but unless you actually know them to be a bad person, leave the name calling out of it. JMHO.

voodoochile
03-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Shall I self flaggelate? Will that be sufficient punishment? OK I stand corrected. Even though I didn't call him a clown. Now who is going to come to the defense of Ozzie, KW, Jim Bowden, Lane Kiffin, Vinnie Del Negro, Christobal Huet, Nick Swisher and who knows how many others?

LYS called Lilibridge a clown. That's what it was in reference to...

spawn
03-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Shall I self flaggelate? Will that be sufficient punishment? OK I stand corrected. Even though I didn't call him a clown. Now who is going to come to the defense of Ozzie, KW, Jim Bowden, Lane Kiffin, Vinnie Del Negro, Christobal Huet, Nick Swisher and who knows how many others?
:scratch: As Voodoo said, LYS called Lillibridge a clown. Nellie said (and I agree 100%) that you can complain about a player's performance without personally insulting him. You mentioned how Liilibridge is an awful baseball player, which coincidentally no one here has argued otherwise. I only pointed out that you can say that without getting personal. As far as I saw, you didn't get personal. So I really don't understand why you're getting bent out of shape about it. :shrug:

KyWhiSoxFan
03-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Back to the point of this thread ...

Sergio Santos will be given every opportunity to break camp and be on the major league roster and I think he will be. They seem to really love his arm and potential and don't want to lose him since he's out of options. That may mean they would have to take 12 pitchers. I haven't really done a lot of analysis to see if the roster is flexible enough for that or they need the 25th place for a position player, but it will be interesting. Santos has had a good spring so far.

veeter
03-15-2010, 01:16 PM

Sergio Santos will be given every opportunity to break camp and be on the major league roster and I think he will be. They seem to really love his arm and potential and don't want to lose him since he's out of options. That may mean they would have to take 12 pitchers. I haven't really done a lot of analysis to see if the roster is flexible enough for that or they need the 25th place for a position player, but it will be interesting. Santos has had a good spring so far.And if Jenks can't get his calf right, he could start the year on the D.L. Then Santos probably would come North. Greg Aquino looks good too, although he's no rookie.

voodoochile
03-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Sergio Santos will be given every opportunity to break camp and be on the major league roster and I think he will be. They seem to really love his arm and potential and don't want to lose him since he's out of options. That may mean they would have to take 12 pitchers. I haven't really done a lot of analysis to see if the roster is flexible enough for that or they need the 25th place for a position player, but it will be interesting. Santos has had a good spring so far.

Right now I'd guess yes.

Kotsay, Vizquel, Castro and (one of) Nix/Lilibridge/Retherford. Leaves an open slot for a 12th pitcher. Unless Ozzie decides to bring De Aza or two of the infield backups along. With Jones able to back up OF slots as well as DH right now they are indeed more flexible in terms of having a 25th open slot.

russ99
03-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Right now I'd guess yes.

Kotsay, Vizquel, Castro and (one of) Nix/Lilibridge/Retherford. Leaves an open slot for a 12th pitcher. Unless Ozzie decides to bring De Aza or two of the infield backups along. With Jones able to back up OF slots as well as DH right now they are indeed more flexible in terms of having a 25th open slot.

Interesting. I'd think 12 pitchers is probably guaranteed.

With Nix and Lillibridge falling off, I wonder if DeAza has a shot. We don't really need an extra IF as Alexei plays SS/2B, Bacon and Teahen play 3B and 2B and Bacon could fill in at SS too if needed. Vizquel can back up all If positions.

I don't get the Lillibridge hate. As Ozzie said if he shortens his swing, hits better to all fields and bunts to get on base more, his speed can be useful. Plus he can field his position unlike Nix, who's only value seems to be that he can hit a homer every once in a while...

Kind of a moot point if they don't play the way Ozzie wants them to, though.

JB98
03-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Interesting. I'd think 12 pitchers is probably guaranteed.

With Nix and Lillibridge falling off, I wonder if DeAza has a shot. We don't really need an extra IF as Alexei plays SS/2B, Bacon and Teahen play 3B and 2B and Bacon could fill in at SS too if needed. Vizquel can back up all If positions.

I don't get the Lillibridge hate. As Ozzie said if he shortens his swing, hits better to all fields and bunts to get on base more, his speed can be useful. Plus he can field his position unlike Nix, who's only value seems to be that he can hit a homer every once in a while...

Kind of a moot point if they don't play the way Ozzie wants them to, though.

But he's not doing any of those things this spring. He doesn't seem to have improved at all. I don't see him as a legitimate candidate to make the club.

veeter
03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
But he's not doing any of those things this spring. He doesn't seem to have improved at all. I don't see him as a legitimate candidate to make the club.I was going to say...oh, is that ALL he needs to do.

Carolina Kenny
03-15-2010, 04:13 PM
I just want to say that I am rooting for CJ to make the team.

It would be a great story and I have no lost love for Lilli or Nix.

SI1020
03-15-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm not in favor of calling people names, period. Criticize their performance, but unless you actually know them to be a bad person, leave the name calling out of it. JMHO. You're right, as you usually are. It's just I can see a Sox fan wanting to scream in pain at the thought of having to watch you know who play ball for his or her team.

JermaineDye05
03-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Cowley ranks the position battles:

Link (http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/03/position_battle_power_rankings.html)

According to him, Santos is in the lead for the last spot in the BP.

SI1020
03-15-2010, 05:23 PM
:scratch: As Voodoo said, LYS called Lillibridge a clown. Nellie said (and I agree 100%) that you can complain about a player's performance without personally insulting him. You mentioned how Liilibridge is an awful baseball player, which coincidentally no one here has argued otherwise. I only pointed out that you can say that without getting personal. As far as I saw, you didn't get personal. So I really don't understand why you're getting bent out of shape about it. :shrug: I'm not bent out of shape, I'm a very good natured person. I read your posts, agree some, disagree some and always consider what you have to say. I was just making a point. Maybe a lousy one or an inconsequential one to be sure. Lillibridge is far from the only one called a clown here and I sure hope he's not on the roster when the real games start.

mzh
03-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Does Retherford really have a shot to make the team? I don't remember the last time a kid jumped straight up from AA to the Bigs, even after a good 09, great AFL and great spring so far.

tick53
03-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Since I haven't had a change to follow the Sox much this spring except in the box scores, I was wondering which Sox rookies have looked good this spring and might be good candidates to be productive members of the White Sox at some point in the near future.

The names that I've heard of are Jordan Danks, Sergio Santos, CJ Retherford, Alejandro De Aza among others.

(note: I wasn't sure if this should go in the Clubhouse or Minor League forum. Mods, please move if this is in the wrong place)

All nice prospects but De Aza can be launched.

mzh
03-16-2010, 11:27 AM
According to Jon Heyman (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/03/15/best.angels/1.html), Santos is very likely to make the team as the 7th guy in the pen. If he keeps his spring going into the season he could be a good middle reliever.

beasly213
03-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Looks like Hudson is not near the top to make the team. I think Hudson could be used in the Pen on the Major league club and get some more experience against MLB hitters. I know it would be nice for him to start every day in AA or AAA but Burehle started his career off in the bullpen and it seemed to work out pretty well for him.

guillensdisciple
03-16-2010, 11:33 AM
What's the word on Viciedo? Any progress?

DonnieDarko
03-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Retherford is supposedly a utility infielder, but isn't he considered to be a butcher at 3B?

DirtySox
03-16-2010, 12:45 PM
What's the word on Viciedo? Any progress?

I haven't seen any. No plate discipline still, and he certainly isn't the picture of athleticism. Also, if you want comedy look no further than him dealing with a breaking pitch. Uribe-esque swings will ensue.

He hasn't looked all that bad at 1B though. He's made some nice picks out of the dirt on throws.

DirtySox
03-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Retherford is supposedly a utility infielder, but isn't he considered to be a butcher at 3B?

I really haven't heard much about CJ's defense. Anything I read about him is busy making a huge deal out of him being a NDFA, and that he hits. I believe he is adequate at 2nd, but would like to see some scouting reports involving his D at other positions.

guillensdisciple
03-16-2010, 03:14 PM
I haven't seen any. No plate discipline still, and he certainly isn't the picture of athleticism. Also, if you want comedy look no further than him dealing with a breaking pitch. Uribe-esque swings will ensue.

He hasn't looked all that bad at 1B though. He's made some nice picks out of the dirt on throws.

That's disappointing- at least he's young. If he is going to be as good as everyone claims he will be this should not be a problem- even if he's only 21. This is not a good sign.

DirtySox
03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
That's disappointing- at least he's young. If he is going to be as good as everyone claims he will be this should not be a problem- even if he's only 21. This is not a good sign.

Admittedly, the spring training sample size is small, but from that small sample I haven't been encouraged. I have tempered my enthusiasm as most people have.

He has the potential to be a great hitter because of his exceptional bat speed, but his pitch recognition and plate discipline need plenty of work.

guillensdisciple
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Admittedly, the spring training sample size is small, but from that small sample I haven't been encouraged. I have tempered my enthusiasm as most people have.

He has the potential to be a great hitter because of his exceptional bat speed, but his pitch recognition and plate discipline need plenty of work.

I wonder if this is a problem great hitters have in the minor leagues. It seems like you either have it or you don't if you want to be put on the superstar level that people deemed Viciedo could be. The lack of two essential bating disciplines gives me doubts he could be a superstar.