PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Sox Grow Players Better Than the Cubs Do

DrCrawdad
03-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Sox Grow Players Better Than the Cubs Do (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/sports/baseball/14cncsports.html?ref=baseball)

Just came across this article on The New York Times written by Dan McGrath.

jabrch
03-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Sox Grow Players Better Than the Cubs Do (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/sports/baseball/14cncsports.html?ref=baseball)

Just came across this article on The New York Times written by Dan McGrath.

I don't think either franchise can brag in this department.

mzh
03-14-2010, 12:10 PM
It seems to refer to the Swisher deaal as early in his career :scratch:. IMO in that case is what less "throwing at a wall and seeing what sticks" than trying to fill a hole that didn't work out.

DumpJerry
03-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Come on, the Cubs have that Castro kid. He's soooo good, he's playing AAA this year!

DrCrawdad
03-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Come on, the Cubs have that Castro kid. He's soooo good, he's playing AAA this year!

Yeah, and the article says that the Cubbies have not hyped Castro...:scratch:

DirtySox
03-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah, and the article says that the Cubbies have not hyped Castro...:scratch:

I hate getting into the Cubs threads you are so frequently involved with, but Castro is real solid prospect. Top 50 easily. I don't know if he is going to be a superstar, but I would be surprised if he isn't a solid regular for many years to come.

As far as "over-hyping" I'll have to take your word for it as I don't have regular baseball conversations with many Cubs fans. But what baseball fan base doesn't over-hype their prospects? Nothing to get upset about really.

DrCrawdad
03-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I hate getting into the Cubs threads you are so frequently involved with, but Castro is real solid prospect. Top 50 easily. I don't know if he is going to be a superstar, but I would be surprised if he isn't a solid regular for many years to come.

As far as "over-hyping" I'll have to take your word for it as I don't have regular baseball conversations with many Cubs fans. But what baseball fan base doesn't over-hype their prospects? Nothing to get upset about really.

Good for you! (http://aominions.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/ad-hominem.gif)

DirtySox
03-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Good for you! (http://aominions.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/ad-hominem.gif)

I must have missed the part where I refuted your claim that Cubs fans over-hype their prospects. I merely pointed out that all fan-bases over-hype their prospects.

DrCrawdad
03-14-2010, 01:29 PM
I must have missed the part where I refuted your claim that Cubs fans over-hype their prospects. I merely pointed out that all fan-bases over-hype their prospects.

It makes for civil conversation if you'd dispense with the petty personal digs.

DirtySox
03-14-2010, 01:32 PM
It makes for civil conversation if you'd dispense with the petty personal digs.

Petty personal digs make the world go round. :wink:

Daver
03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Both teams suck at scouting and developing talent, so what is the real point here?

DrCrawdad
03-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Both teams suck at scouting and developing talent, so what is the real point here?

A link to an article on the Chicago baseball teams, make of it what you will.

veeter
03-14-2010, 05:39 PM

As far as "over-hyping" I'll have to take your word for it as I don't have regular baseball conversations with many Cubs fans. But what baseball fan base doesn't over-hype their prospects? Nothing to get upset about really.The other day Len Casper said the cubs NEVER over hype their prospects. Uh Len, the cubs wrote the book on the subject. Yes, most organizations hype their prospects, but they do it to make trades. The cubs do it, to do it. Hendry is scared to death to part with his 'untouchables'. For me, I WOULD be surprised if Castro did turn out to be a solid regular for many years to come.

oeo
03-14-2010, 08:21 PM
The other day Len Casper said the cubs NEVER over hype their prospects. Uh Len, the cubs wrote the book on the subject. Yes, most organizations hype their prospects, but they do it to make trades. The cubs do it, to do it. Hendry is scared to death to part with his 'untouchables'. For me, I WOULD be surprised if Castro did turn out to be a solid regular for many years to come.

Kasper is a Cubs ass kissing moron.

soltrain21
03-14-2010, 08:56 PM

Every broadcaster is for their team. What's your point?

DrCrawdad
03-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Every broadcaster is for their team. What's your point?

The other day Len Casper said the cubs NEVER over hype their prospects. Uh Len, the cubs wrote the book on the subject. Yes, most organizations hype their prospects, but they do it to make trades. The cubs do it, to do it. Hendry is scared to death to part with his 'untouchables'. For me, I WOULD be surprised if Castro did turn out to be a solid regular for many years to come.

Kasper really said the Cubbies never hype their prospects? If he said that he's got amnesia.

Bobby Hill? Hee Sop Choi? Dave Kelton? Beanball Ben Christensen? Felix Pie? Corey Patterson?

These guys were hyped up the wazoo. Now before someone says that it wasn't the Cubbies it was "scouts" be honest and admit that the Cubbies were behind the hyping. When you have Cubune employees hyping them the Cubbie brass bear responsibility.

DumpJerry
03-14-2010, 11:03 PM
But what baseball fan base doesn't over-hype their prospects? Nothing to get upset about really.
I take it you don't read many posts at WSI when the topic of White Sox prospects is on the table.

soltrain21
03-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Kasper really said the Cubbies never hype their prospects? If he said that he's got amnesia.

Bobby Hill? Hee Sop Choi? Dave Kelton? Beanball Ben Christensen? Felix Pie? Corey Patterson?

These guys were hyped up the wazoo. Now before someone says that it wasn't the Cubbies it was "scouts" be honest and admit that the Cubbies were behind the hyping. When you have Cubune employees hyping them the Cubbie brass bear responsibility.

Every organization says their prospects will be good. I really don't get your over the top hate for the Cubs. You must miss the ridiculous things that come out of Hawk's mouth.

Sam Spade
03-15-2010, 12:42 AM
I really don't see tampa as clearly a better team than the white sox.

DrCrawdad
03-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Every organization says their prospects will be good. I really don't get your over the top hate for the Cubs. You must miss the ridiculous things that come out of Hawk's mouth.

Ok, so say that a Sox broadcaster and a (former) Sox media employee both were now repeating a meme about how the Sox don't hype prospects, after having done that for ages (equal and most likely more so than other organizations). That's what's happening here. Would it be wrong for me to say it was false, a lie?

Why is it wrong for me to call this as we all agree it is?

Or let me approach it this way, do you agree with the articles comment and Kasper's comment that the Cubbies do NOT hype their prospects?

soltrain21
03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Ok, so say that a Sox broadcaster and a (former) Sox media employee both were now repeating a meme about how the Sox don't hype prospects, after having done that for ages (equal and most likely more so than other organizations). That's what's happening here. Would it be wrong for me to say it was false, a lie?

Why is it wrong for me to call this as we all agree it is?

Or let me approach it this way, do you agree with the articles comment and Kasper's comment that the Cubbies do NOT hype their prospects?

I just don't understand why you are calling out one organization (who just so happens to be a team you post about quite a bit and we can all tell you hate) for hyping prospects when EVERY team in EVERY sports does the same thing.

Huisj
03-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Who's this Jonathan Papplebon he mentions in the article?

kitekrazy
03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
You have to hype your minor leaguers. How else are you going to make trades for proven talent?

DrCrawdad
03-15-2010, 09:12 PM
I just don't understand why you are calling out one organization (who just so happens to be a team you post about quite a bit and we can all tell you hate) for hyping prospects when EVERY team in EVERY sports does the same thing.

Ok, another try ...

True or false

The Cubbies do NOT hype their prospects.

DumpJerry
03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Ok, another try ...

True or false

Really, does it matter one way or another?

Nope.

All teams hype their prospects. All teams.

Can we move on?

If this endless mobius strip does not stop, this thread may be closed for lack of usefulness and fresh ideas.

soltrain21
03-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Ok, another try ...

True or false

Fine. I'll play your into whatever the hell you are trying to prove. Yes, the Cubs hype their prospects. So does every other team...?

Remember the clown car of hyped pitchers we've marched out>

DrCrawdad
03-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Fine. I'll play your into whatever the hell you are trying to prove. Yes, the Cubs hype their prospects. So does every other team...?

Remember the clown car of hyped pitchers we've marched out>

Exactly! Thank you. Every team does in fact hype their prospects (especially the Cubbies). To claim otherwise is ridiculous and deserves to be called for as such.

Now, get back to me when Hawk and a Sox baseball writer both claim the Sox never hype their prospects.

soltrain21
03-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Exactly! Thank you. Every team does in fact hype their prospects (especially the Cubbies). To claim otherwise is ridiculous and deserves to be called for as such.

Now, get back to me when Hawk and a Sox baseball writer both claim the Sox never hype their prospects.

Still looking for a point you are trying to make...

Frater Perdurabo
03-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Yes, every team hypes their prospects.

But the Tribune - the Cubs' "house organ" and corporate partner until very recently (and old habits die hard) - has proliferated pro-Cubs prospect propaganda to its readers for years. And the lazy lemminglike sports media aggregates, echoes and amplifies what's already out there.

Consequently, Cubs prospects get more hype than almost all other teams' prospects.

DrCrawdad
03-15-2010, 11:09 PM

But the Tribune - the Cubs' "house organ" and corporate partner until very recently (and old habits die hard) - has proliferated pro-Cubs prospect propaganda to its readers for years. And the lazy lemminglike sports media aggregates, echoes and amplifies what's already out there.

Consequently, Cubs prospects get more hype than almost all other teams' prospects.

:clap::clap::clap:

Spot on! Spot on! And for Kasper and the (former?) Cubune writer to claim they don't hype their prospects is amazing.

soltrain21
03-15-2010, 11:15 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

Spot on! Spot on! And for Kasper and the (former?) Cubune writer to claim they don't hype their prospects is amazing.

You are making a mountain out of molehill. And you should probably give Hangar his tinfoil suit back.

DrCrawdad
03-15-2010, 11:52 PM
You are making a mountain out of molehill. And you should probably give Hangar his tinfoil suit back.

I'd appreciate it if you'd knock off the personal attacks.

DSpivack
03-16-2010, 02:17 AM

You bring up a good point about sports media. The hype to me depends on where one gets their sports info/news. If from the Trib or local sportsblab radio [or, to a lesser extent, ESPN], then yes I'd say Cubs prospects are way overhyped. But in terms of national, more specialized baseball publications and the like, I don't think they're any more hyped than any other team's prospects. Right now, to me the most hyped [without passing judgment on whether that hyped is 'deserved'] prospects would be Strasburg and Jason Heyward.