PDA

View Full Version : Jenks having issues, AGAIN.

LoveYourSuit
03-13-2010, 01:45 PM
It's early, I know. But based on history with this guy and nagging injuries, I wish we had invested those $7.5 million on something else.

The Sox NEED Jenks to anchor that bullpen. Let's all hope he gets his **** together or this bullpen will become thin once again if Pena or Linebrink have to move to the set-up role once again because Putz becomes closer.

JermaineDye05
03-13-2010, 01:55 PM
People have to remember that Jenks is historically dreadful in ST.

sox1970
03-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm worried, but will give him the benefit of the doubt until the season starts. If he is worse than last year, then they'll probably go to Putz....that is, if he's any good.

munchman33
03-13-2010, 02:00 PM
People have to remember that Jenks is historically dreadful in ST.

He's historically out of shape in ST. He is not out of shape now. Perhaps that's the problem?

canOcorn
03-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm wondering is the calf injury is due to compensating for another issue. He really shouldn't be having a muscle issue 7 months later.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-13-2010, 02:09 PM
I think Bobby needs to eat more cheeseburgers.

JermaineDye05
03-13-2010, 02:17 PM
He's historically out of shape in ST. He is not out of shape now. Perhaps that's the problem?

You also have to factor in that he's just working on locating his pitches right now. One day he could be purely working on locating his fastball. When the batter knows he's just throwing his fastball, then he's bound to get knocked around.

Even Lincecum got knocked around the other day. Now, I'm not saying that Jenks is in the same category as the best pitcher in baseball. I'm just saying that you really shouldn't pay too much attention to the numbers in ST when it comes to pitchers.

I don't get too concerned with pitchers in ST unless they're walking a **** ton of people like Daniel Cabrera.

LoveYourSuit
03-13-2010, 02:24 PM
You also have to factor in that he's just working on locating his pitches right now. One day he could be purely working on locating his fastball. When the batter knows he's just throwing his fastball, then he's bound to get knocked around.

Even Lincecum got knocked around the other day. Now, I'm not saying that Jenks is in the same category as the best pitcher in baseball. I'm just saying that you really shouldn't pay too much attention to the numbers in ST when it comes to pitchers.

I don't get too concerned with pitchers in ST unless they're walking a **** ton of people like Daniel Cabrera.

Perhaps you missed the article yesterday about his outing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0313-bits-white-sox-spring-trainin20100312,0,63879.story

If Coop is concerned, I am concerned too.

jabrch
03-13-2010, 03:21 PM
We see this same dumbass thread every ST...I'm more than willing to wait a bit before bringing out a body bag for Jenks.

JB98
03-13-2010, 03:21 PM
You know how closers always suck in non-save situations? Well, Jenks is one of those guys.

Spring training is the ultimate non-save situation. It doesn't mean anything. Jenks probably isn't bringing the appropriate amount of competitiveness to the mound. It also could be the calf issue. If that's the case, shut him down and get that fixed.

dickallen15
03-13-2010, 03:28 PM
You know how closers always suck in non-save situations? Well, Jenks is one of those guys.

Spring training is the ultimate non-save situation. It doesn't mean anything. Jenks probably isn't bringing the appropriate amount of competitiveness to the mound. It also could be the calf issue. If that's the case, shut him down and get that fixed.

You do realize he's been shut down with the calf issue for almost 6 months don't you? I did read where he was behind throwing-wise because he didn't have anyone to throw to this winter. That's just silly. The team could have found him a catcher.

LoveYourSuit
03-13-2010, 03:31 PM
We see this same dumbass thread every ST...I'm more than willing to wait a bit before bringing out a body bag for Jenks.

Dumbass thread?

The guy is still hurt. Stop being lazy and read the article.

canOcorn
03-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Dumbass thread?

You realize who you're dealing with, right? The article expresses concern for the White Sox and Mr. http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images/kool-aid-man.jpgisn't going to have any of it.

Boondock Saint
03-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Oh, goody! It's the annual "Jenks is done" thread. I was starting to wonder if this place found some rationality during the offseason. Kudos, WSI. Kudos.

JB98
03-13-2010, 03:50 PM
You do realize he's been shut down with the calf issue for almost 6 months don't you? I did read where he was behind throwing-wise because he didn't have anyone to throw to this winter. That's just silly. The team could have found him a catcher.

I don't understand what that has to do with anything. If he's hurt and can't pitch, then he's hurt and can't pitch. It's one plausible explanation for the problems he's having right now.

munchman33
03-13-2010, 04:26 PM

It was sarcasm. :cool:

thomas35forever
03-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Spring training games don't count, folks. If they did, Bobby wouldn't have pitched in the fourth inning yesterday. We'll worry if he sucks in his situational outings this year.

Marqhead
03-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Regardless of who he's talking about, canocorn's post made me laugh out loud.

Bobby needs to get healthy and it puzzles me that he wouldn't be after so much time off. I don't put a lot of stock in spring time numbers either but he needs to get his **** together because this team will be relying on him big time.

Frontman
03-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Saw a Robin?

Check.

Got a head cold?

Check.

Heard Hawk and Stoney talk about left and right handed batters?

Check.

Meltdown thread on WSI about any player on the White Sox?

Check.

Yep, SPRING HAS ARRIVED!!!!!

DumpJerry
03-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Dumbass thread?

Attack the post, not the poster. Ok?

Jpgr91
03-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Quoting Ozzie from the Trib:

"When you manage, you worry about this guy or that guy," Guillen said Saturday. "There's only one guy I worry about right now and it's Bobby. That's a lot to say. You have 40 or 60 guys in camp and you only worry about one. When you talk about one guy all day, it means you are worried about that guy. Me and (pitching coach Don Cooper) are worried about his health. His body is good but his calf is holding him back."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0314-bits-white-sox-chicago-spring20100313,0,3720160.story

If Ozzie and Coop are worried, ALL Sox fans should be worried.

HomeFish
03-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Quoting Ozzie from the Trib:

"When you manage, you worry about this guy or that guy," Guillen said Saturday. "There's only one guy I worry about right now and it's Bobby. That's a lot to say. You have 40 or 60 guys in camp and you only worry about one. When you talk about one guy all day, it means you are worried about that guy. Me and (pitching coach Don Cooper) are worried about his health. His body is good but his calf is holding him back."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0314-bits-white-sox-chicago-spring20100313,0,3720160.story

If Ozzie and Coop are worried, ALL Sox fans should be worried.

Finally a voice of reason.

I've been saying trade Jenks since 2007.

sullythered
03-14-2010, 12:24 AM

You've been saying trade him because of his calf since 2007? Because that's the only way your post makes sense.

And to "worry" about an injury to a player on a baseball team you watch for enjoyment, but have no control over is the opposite of "reason."

RadioheadRocks
03-14-2010, 12:49 AM

Amen

jabrch
03-14-2010, 08:37 AM
You've been saying trade him because of his calf since 2007? Because that's the only way your post makes sense.

And to "worry" about an injury to a player on a baseball team you watch for enjoyment, but have no control over is the opposite of "reason."

I agree with you 100%

ST is not the time to worry about anything.

Jpgr91
03-14-2010, 09:25 AM

There are different levels of worry. Maybe concern is a better choice of words but in effect it means the same thing. I do not think any Sox fan would enjoy sitting through a season where the team blows a bunch of games in the 9th inning, hence the concern.

Jpgr91
03-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I agree with you 100%

ST is not the time to worry about anything.

With all due respect, I think Ozzie is a little bit more qualified than you to make this assessment. If Ozzie says he is worried, maybe there is something there other than typical spring training issues?

tick53
03-14-2010, 10:28 AM
By far Bobby Jenks is my biggest concern again this year. I simply lost confidence in him. They should have traded him when they had a chance.

Jim Shorts
03-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Something tells me you've been waiting three years to post exactly this.

Meanwhile, Bobby's still been one of the better closers in the game.

I have some trepidation, as we should when both OG and DC have concern, but it's still spring training.

SI1020
03-14-2010, 11:07 AM
This is not a case of posters characterized as dark clouds being overly pessimistic. Jenks was awful in the second half last year. A calf injury makes sense as his velocity wasn't just down, it was way down. Arm extension and leg drive are keys to getting the full velocity for a power pitcher. I find it curious that this thing with his calf thing hasn't healed. It appeared to me last year that Jenks wasn't just in a slump but that he had basically lost it. I hope that someone can help Bobby figure this out. The dominoes have to fall in place for the Sox this year and having a healthy and productive Jenks is as important as any of them.

doublem23
03-14-2010, 11:21 AM
At least this year, we hopefully have a viable alternative to Bobby in JJ Putz, a guy with proven closing experience that will allow us to keep Thornton in his more valuable role as a setup man.

Come on, Bobby, get it together. If we could have a back-end of the bullpen feature Putz, Thornton, and Jenks for the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings, we'd be sitting really, really pretty. Pull one block out of the back of this bullpen and it gets real unimpressive real fast.

Lip Man 1
03-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Middle part of the story is talking about Jenks and quotes him:

http://www.southtownstar.com/sports/2101429,031410sptsoxnb2star.article

Lip