PDA

View Full Version : Fenway Park in tough shape 3 weeks before Opening Night

Fenway
03-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Winter Classic did a lot of damage

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2051537&id=1014362077&l=999f6c79bf

all*star quentin
03-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Fenway, glad your feeling better.:cool: couldn't tell from the pics, is the field torn up?

october23sp
03-13-2010, 12:18 AM
2 things:
1. The thing that amazed me about those pictures is the prices of food.
2. I didn't really see any damage until picture 35 where the outfield grass looks really bad.

Nellie_Fox
03-13-2010, 01:44 AM
This is why I argued with people who wanted a hockey game at USCF.

samurai_sox
03-13-2010, 04:48 AM
Nice touch with the Sox hat. :cool:

Viva Medias B's
03-13-2010, 07:50 AM
2 things:
1. The thing that amazed me about those pictures is the prices of food.
2. I didn't really see any damage until picture 35 where the outfield grass looks really bad.

Wrigley Field evidently did not have this problem after the Winter Classic there; I wonder if Fenway Park's grounds crew was not as diligent or if Boston experienced weather conditions that produced that damage.

DumpJerry
03-13-2010, 08:04 AM
My thoughts, too.

Another example of why you should be careful of what you want. You might get it.

HomeFish
03-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Boston has been experiencing heavy rain recently.

Fenway
03-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Boston has been experiencing heavy rain recently.

Boston has had a tough winter.

If you look closely you can see all the red seats are being replaced for 2010.

There is a certain solitude of being in a completely empty ballpark. It was after 5 PM and everyone had gone home and it was just myself and a buddy.

I am sure it will be ready for Easter Sunday evening. It will be a zoo as it is the opener, on a Sunday night at 8 (with everybody getting loaded all day) and the Yankees to boot.

Food prices at Fenway are absurd.

LoveYourSuit
03-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Just me or even with all the renovations done to that park it still looks like a dump. The outside is complete crap. I'm sure the site lines are awesome from most seats, but everything else looks like ****.

SI1020
03-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Food prices at Fenway are absurd. Love your town, but food prices at Fenway aren't the only thing expensive in Boston. Anyway, glad to see you're up and around. Pace yourself, but stay active.

canOcorn
03-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Just me or even with all the renovations done to that park it still looks like a dump. The outside is complete crap. I'm sure the site lines are awesome from most seats, but everything else looks like ****.

There's a lot of nostalgia and, much like Wrigley, it's a complete dump.

Fenway
03-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Love your town, but food prices at Fenway aren't the only thing expensive in Boston. Anyway, glad to see you're up and around. Pace yourself, but stay active.
The killer in Boston like San Francisco is housing. When my company transferred me to Chicago I was amazed at how reasonable rent is.

I know I have to lay low for at least a month even if I am feeling OK. The other good news is the docs say my heart, liver, lungs and kidneys just show normal wear and tear which kinda amazes me.They did echo grams and cat-scans and everything looks fine.

There's a lot of nostalgia and, much like Wrigley, it's a complete dump.

10 years ago it was a dump but it is a lot better now. People forget that while Fenway opened in 1912 the park today was rebuilt in 1934. It is in a LOT better shape than Wrigley.

Even in winter Fenway is the #1 tourist attraction in the city which given all the historical stuff here is amazing. If you are a baseball fan Fenway is a place you want to see at least once. Fenway and Wrigley share one thing, they are the only parks left that Babe Ruth played in.

Daver
03-13-2010, 02:44 PM

No matter how hard you polish a turd, it will never shine.

canOcorn
03-13-2010, 03:08 PM
10 years ago it was a dump but it is a lot better now. People forget that while Fenway opened in 1912 the park today was rebuilt in 1934. It is in a LOT better shape than Wrigley.

I was there in September of 2003. I suppose if they've done renovations it has improved, but in 2003 it was right on par with Wrigley.

Jim Shorts
03-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Fenway and Wrigley share one thing, they are the only parks left that Babe Ruth played in.

I do like stuff like that...

BeefyD
03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
One other thing that Wrigley Field has differently than Fenway, especially after having both hosted a Winter Classic:

The Sodfather

Having Bossard's systems in place had to have some bearing on both being trampled on as well as winters in general.

EDIT: Also, Thanks, Fenway, for the pics! We went to the series last August, and had a blast, enjoyed the park tour and hated Contreras' collapse in the game we saw.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-14-2010, 04:50 AM
I was there in September of 2003. I suppose if they've done renovations it has improved, but in 2003 it was right on par with Wrigley.

I was there last summer, Fenway is in better condition than Wrigley.

doublem23
03-14-2010, 09:46 AM

I agree, I hope stuff like this puts an end to this boner "tradition" of staging a hockey game on a baseball field.

Foulke You
03-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I was last there in 2008 and the condition was much better than Wrigley. Is it still cramped and a bit dumpy in spots? Sure, but nowhere near the level of decay that Wrigley has. The concourses are much roomier now, especially the one they added to connect the Bleachers to the grandstand area. Fenway is cleaner and doesn't have that special smell on the concourses. The bathrooms also aren't "third world" like Wrigley. You just have to put up with an old ballpark's problems like small aisles, small chairs, and posts blocking some seats. Oh, and did I mention they had no nets to catch falling concrete?:cool:

Stoky44
03-15-2010, 08:02 PM
One other thing that Wrigley Field has differently than Fenway, especially after having both hosted a Winter Classic:

The Sodfather

Having Bossard's systems in place had to have some bearing on both being trampled on as well as winters in general.

Bossard has done numerous fields across MLB, I believe he did Fenway a few years ago, maybe a winter or two prior to the urinal. Anyone else remember this?

UofCSoxFan
03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I was there last summer, Fenway is in better condition than Wrigley.

I was there in September and completely agree. Moreover, it doesn't smell like urine which is a plus in a ballpark. Sightlines are better too.

BainesHOF
03-16-2010, 03:42 AM
I was at both parks last year to watch our Sox. There's no comparison. Fenway is in better shape and just plain a nicer park than Wrigley.

What's amazing about Fenway is how easy it is to buy food and drink during the game in the concourse because all of the fans are into the game and actually stay in their seats to watch it. It's incredible. I have to laugh now whenever I hear Cubs fans brag that they're the best fans in baseball. Ha! They're not even close to Red Sox fans in their devotion or knowledge.

jmeneghini1433
03-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Bossard has done numerous fields across MLB, I believe he did Fenway a few years ago, maybe a winter or two prior to the urinal. Anyone else remember this?

He has done Arizona, Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, Seattle, Wrigley, and a few spring training ballparks.

ewokpelts
03-17-2010, 09:14 AM
why were at the park, fenway? was it a sth event?

UofCSoxFan
03-17-2010, 12:19 PM
He has done Arizona, Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, Seattle, Wrigley, and a few spring training ballparks.

He also did UIC's new field, before they ripped it up 2 or 3 years later to go with the low-maitenance turf option. Kind of a shame since it was a real nice grass surfice.

Fenway
03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
why were at the park, fenway? was it a sth event?

Just wanted to see the olde gal after getting out of the hospital.