PDA

View Full Version : Nomar hangs 'em up.

eriqjaffe
03-10-2010, 10:26 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/03/nomar-garciaparra-retires----as-a-red-sox/1

I can't help but think of the debates about whether nor not it was permissible to sign Frank to a one-day contract so he could retire as a White Sox.

HomeFish
03-10-2010, 10:44 AM
In 2004 I visited Busch Stadium for a Cards/Reds game. They had a batting cage there, and I went in there and imitated all of Nomar's at-bat rituals. Nomar was on the Cubs at the time so the Cards fans got a kick out of it.

thomas35forever
03-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Good career, Nomar. Nice that you know when it's time to hang it up.

doublem23
03-10-2010, 11:08 AM
He's apparently joining ESPN.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/03/ex-cub-garciaparra-to-announce-retirement.html

Good, their coverage of the Red Sox was in danger of waning.

doogiec
03-10-2010, 12:17 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/03/nomar-garciaparra-retires----as-a-red-sox/1

I can't help but think of the debates about whether nor not it was permissible to sign Frank to a one-day contract so he could retire as a White Sox.

Nomar signed a minor league contract. The players union has no say in that matter. The Red Sox will simply release him the next day as he was never on the big league roster.

So technically, he's not retiring as a Red Sox player, but as a player in the Red Sox organization. Seems kind of pointless to me.

oeo
03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
He's apparently joining ESPN.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/03/ex-cub-garciaparra-to-announce-retirement.html

Good, their coverage of the Red Sox was in danger of waning.

He's already been on there. He's bad like most of the other guys on BBTN. Apparently thinking about you want to say is out of the question, just saying what first comes to mind is the way to go.

mrfourni
03-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Nomar signed a minor league contract. The players union has no say in that matter. The Red Sox will simply release him the next day as he was never on the big league roster.

So technically, he's not retiring as a Red Sox player, but as a player in the Red Sox organization. Seems kind of pointless to me.

Signing a one-day contract as a Red Sox (or White Sox) player would be equally as pointless, no?

downstairs
03-10-2010, 12:50 PM
The one-day contract thing is just stupid. First of all, it never shows up in your stats- so pretty much everyone, including fans of the team, forgets in less than a week.

He'll always be known as a Red Sox player anyway.

HomeFish
03-10-2010, 01:02 PM

It will allow them to retire his number if he makes the HoF.

TDog
03-10-2010, 01:16 PM

That's what I was thinking. The Red Sox require that a player make the Hall of Fame and finish his career with the organization to have his number retired, although Fisk found a loophole in the rules. Garciapara has found a loophole as well, considering that records will show he finished his career last season outside of the Red Sox organization.

He didn't sign a one-day contract with the Red Sox that would have allowed him to come back and play one final game in Fenway for one day's pay. He signed a minor league contract for the season and was released after a day (wink, wink), and the time won't even be counted against his Hall of Fame eligibility.

But Garciapara won't get in the Hall of Fame, not based on his life in baseball up to this point, anyway. He really hasn't been much of a player since leaving the Red Sox, despite the national excitement over his coming to the Cubs to fulfill their apparent championship destiny a few years ago.

sox1970
03-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Hall of Fame of what?

Hitmen77
03-10-2010, 02:54 PM

You mean he's not going to ask to go into the HOF as a Cub?

KenBerryGrab
03-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Hall of Fame? Not even close.

eriqjaffe
03-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Agreed, but I'd say that if he had kept on the same track he did up through 2003, he'd have had a great shot, maybe would even been a lock.

DumpJerry
03-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Just to be clear, the "debates" were here at WSI, not in the front office of the White Sox. Also, the discussions here centered on a one day contract during the season so he could get one last at-bat.

The Red Sox require that a player make the Hall of Fame and finish his career with the organization to have his number retired
The Red Sox really need to re-think their silly narcissistic rules.

HomeFish
03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
How did Fisk get around that rule by the way.

Foulke You
03-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I always liked Nomar. Injuries really wrecked his career once he reached 30 years old. Nomar *almost* became a White Sox player around 2003. This was the first infamous "Otis" thread except this time, Otis had good intel because there was truth to the rumor. Nomar and Trot Nixon were supposed to come to the White Sox, A-Rod and Maggs would go to the Red Sox, and the Rangers were to get a boat load of prospects if memory serves. In hindsight, the White Sox dodged a bullet when that trade fell through. At the time though, it seemed like a decent trade because the Sox really needed a shortstop to replace Manos.

doogiec
03-11-2010, 06:55 AM

I was told by a Red Sox employee that Fisk was hired by the Red Sox for a minor front office job for one season after he retired, therefore they consider him to have ended his career as a Red Sox.

It sounded about as phony as Nomar's one day contract. If Fisk were to take a job with another team now, I doubt the Red Sox will unretire 27.

The rule may have been legit at one time, but its clear the Red Sox no longer consider it a serious requirement.

TommyJohn
03-11-2010, 08:24 AM
I always liked Nomar. Injuries really wrecked his career once he reached 30 years old. Nomar *almost* became a White Sox player around 2003. This was the first infamous "Otis" thread except this time, Otis had good intel because there was truth to the rumor. Nomar and Trot Nixon were supposed to come to the White Sox, A-Rod and Maggs would go to the Red Sox, and the Rangers were to get a boat load of prospects if memory serves. In hindsight, the White Sox dodged a bullet when that trade fell through. At the time though, it seemed like a decent trade because the Sox really needed a shortstop to replace Manos.
I remember that the White Sox hurt Magglio's little feelings by mentioning him in trade talks.

eriqjaffe
03-11-2010, 09:16 AM
If Fisk were to take a job with another team now, I doubt the Red Sox will unretire 27.Well, his number's still retired in Boston, even tough this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080513&content_id=2695276&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) happened, so...

Looking at the current Speakers Bureau, he's not listed there. Is he still working for the White Sox these days?

doublem23
03-11-2010, 09:51 AM

Rules are made to be broken.

SephClone89
03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Was definitely one of, if not my favourite non-Sox player in the majors about a decade ago. He could have been absolutely fantastic.

Fenway
03-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Dan Shaughnessy EXPLODES over this

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/03/11/in_historically_bad_taste_here/

Craig Grebeck
03-11-2010, 11:14 AM

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/03/11/in_historically_bad_taste_here/
As if we didn't already know Shaughnessy was a total hack.

TommyJohn
03-11-2010, 12:11 PM

I can see his annoyance with this-it seems that the people who are always ornery with the media are the ones who wind up working in it. Two examples I can think of are Bill Walton and Kirk Psycho Gibson. They suddenly were lovable on TV after years of being jerks. And let us not forget ESPN expert analyst Bob Knight. I'm glad I don't work in the media.

SI1020
03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
It reads like Shaughnessy got stiffed a time or two by Nomar, and there is some personal animus involved. That being said I can't say I disagree with what he wrote.

HomeFish
03-11-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm sure plenty of Sox fans would be upset if Magglio Ordonez was brought back like this after he retired. He's probably the closest thing we have to a superstar leaving on bad terms.

Brian26
03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I always liked Nomar.

I always liked him too. I had a chance to meet him briefly during the summer of 2005, and he couldn't have been classier and more cordial.

Injuries really wrecked his career once he reached 30 years old. Nomar *almost* became a White Sox player around 2003. This was the first infamous "Otis" thread except this time, Otis had good intel because there was truth to the rumor. Nomar and Trot Nixon were supposed to come to the White Sox, A-Rod and Maggs would go to the Red Sox, and the Rangers were to get a boat load of prospects if memory serves. In hindsight, the White Sox dodged a bullet when that trade fell through. At the time though, it seemed like a decent trade because the Sox really needed a shortstop to replace Manos.

That was a great thread.

WhiteSox5187
03-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm sure plenty of Sox fans would be upset if Magglio Ordonez was brought back like this after he retired. He's probably the closest thing we have to a superstar leaving on bad terms.

Frank Thomas did not exactly leave on good terms.

manders_01
03-11-2010, 11:46 PM
The one-day contract thing is just stupid. First of all, it never shows up in your stats- so pretty much everyone, including fans of the team, forgets in less than a week.

Honestly, I don't really remember him as more than the baseball player who was the subject of a reoccurring SNL sketch starring Jimmy Fallon and Rachel Dratch.

StillMissOzzie
03-11-2010, 11:53 PM
I've never understood this longing to sign phony contracts simply to retire in the jersey of the team you want to be remembered for. Such drivel was the coin of the realm for the NFL, and I really hope it stays there.

That said, Nomar is now part of the media he apparently wanted no part of as a player. One can hope that his first ESPN assignment is an in-depth mini-series interviewing Milton Bradley.

SMO
:gulp:

RKMeibalane
03-14-2010, 12:05 AM

I've always thought of him as Mia Hamm's husband.

Fenway
03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
It reads like Shaughnessy got stiffed a time or two by Nomar, and there is some personal animus involved. That being said I can't say I disagree with what he wrote.

I will say that Shaughnessy unlike the Windsock always tells the target of his column what is coming before it hits print simply to see if the person wants to say anything in defense. Dan does work the clubhouse.

Nomar was a train wreck the first half of 2004 and the infamous Jeter Game in the Bronx sealed his fate in Boston. Francona went to Theo and said "you got to get him out of here, he is killing the clubhouse.".Once gone the team caught fire and finally won it all.