PDA

View Full Version : Your Baseball Could-have-beens

HomeFish
03-08-2010, 01:33 AM
What are some interesting games you almost attended, but missed?

I was offered tickets to Buehrle's no-hitter against Texas. However, I had just attended a 6-0 Sox loss in the first game of that series (the no-hitter was the second game of the series), and did not want to sit through a Sox loss to Texas again. I was helping a friend bake a cake when I got a phone call from the friend who offered me the ticket, informing me that I had just missed a no-hitter.

In fall 2007, I moved to Boston. As a welcome gift, I was offered tickets to a Red Sox game. I declined, as I dislike the Red Sox. Clay Bucholtz threw a no-hitter in that game.

Twice in one season, I missed a no-hitter. When I visited the Hall of Fame in early 2009, there was an exhibit where they had tickets from each no-hitter. I pointed out to my friends the two that I almost attended.

Thankfully, in 2009, when I was back in Chicago for a while, the friend who offered me a ticket to the Buehrle no-hitter suggested that he and I go to a Sox game against Tampa Bay. It turned out to be a perfect game.

Other games I can think of:
* there was a game in 2001 against Cleveland in which the Sox won by some ridiculous score, like 11-2. More notably, I believe it was the game in which Carlos Lee missed a fly ball because he was watching a topless woman in the seats.

Johnny Mostil
03-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Buehrle's perfect game. I promised my youngest, who had perfect attendance in school last year, that I would take him to a game as a reward. Given his age, I wanted an afternoon game. I thought of buying tix for that game, but, given it was in July, thought it would be better to take him to the afternoon Dodgers game in June. Better to better reinforce the behavior with a quicker reward. Oh, well. We still had fun!

PaleHoser
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
I missed the final night game at Comiskey Park because my wife was standing up in a wedding. I couldn't talk her out of letting me skip the reception.

Fortunately there was a bar at the hall where they had their reception, so I was able to sneak out and catch parts of the game and some of the post-game events.

The couple is still married, so I guess it was worth it...almost.

soxinem1
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM
A few:

Back-to-back-to back HR's against the Angels in 1983.

Jack Morris' no-hitter against the White Sox on national TV in 1984.

For last year's perfecto I turned down two sets of tickets. That sure turned out to be hard one to accept.

DSpivack
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Well, I was living in Atlanta at the time of Randy Johnson's perfect game, and a few friends went to that. And I moved back to Chicago just before Buehrle's perfecto last summer, I do remember thinking of going to that, but did not. I nearly went to the Sox-Dodgers game in 2005 where AJ had that walkoff, but didn't.

Oblong
03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
In 2002 I gave my tickets away for a mewningless mid week game. Jeff Weaver took a no hitter into the 8th or 9th, losing it when Craig Paquette misplayed a ball at the fence, it was called a hit, but he should have had it.

Also, I had a full 2006 Tigers Post season strip. For the ALCS, I sold home game #2 to a co worker at face value, that would have been a busy day for me and I didn't think there was any way they'd sweep the series. Of course that was when Magglio hit the greatest HR in franchise history! I'll never forgive myself for that.

Chrisaway
03-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Other games I can think of:
* there was a game in 2001 against Cleveland in which the Sox won by some ridiculous score, like 11-2. More notably, I believe it was the game in which Carlos Lee missed a fly ball because he was watching a topless woman in the seats.
I worked with said woman at a Hooters in Tinley at the time.:redneck Didn't go to the game though just heard her bragging about it.

HomeFish
03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
It was great because you could sit there and appreciate it for what it was: a childish outfielder being hilariously immature. With the score being what it was, you didn't get frustrated over the runs that scored because of it.