PDA

View Full Version : MLB.com Projections

Rdy2PlayBall
03-06-2010, 12:11 AM
These are not openly stated, but they are there none the less.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/preview/y2010/index.jsp?team=cws

If you look through the teams, they are all up to date. Yes, Damon is on the Tigers, so he is included. Their is a projected Win and Loss total, and they look into the offense as well, because our pitching staff on a team like the Yankees is probably 95+ wins. So 88 on for our pitching staff means they take into account a low scoring offense.

So, here is how they have our division.

Sox - 88-74
Twins - 85-77
Tigers - 83-79
Royals - 71-91
Indians - 68-94

This is how I see the division playing out, glad to see they think the same way. I see our division being less weak though, so give or take 4-5 wins for each team. (obviously I think give +4 to us).

I don't know how many of you have already looked at this, I'm just throwing it out there that MLB.com has had this out for a while and have just updated Damon onto the Tigers recently. So what do ya think?

*Notice they don't have Jones with 80RBIs and Kotsay with 70. They were realistic about this stuff.

Noneck
03-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Interesting that Lillibridge is ranked ahead or the same as the Sox DH combo, Kotsay and Jones. Seems as though they expect a ton from the Sox DH.

Corlose 15
03-06-2010, 01:44 PM
I think those are all pretty conservative estimates for Quentin, Danks, and Floyd, which I have no problem with. I would expect all of them to outperform those especially if you consider that Floyd was tipping pitches the first part of the season and his last two starts were bad because he was pitching hurt.

As for Danks, they talk positively about him but then predict him to have a worse ERA than his last two years. Also, if Quentin is healthy, he's a lock for 30+ HR.

voodoochile
03-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I agree, is weird. I think that if the Sox only get 63 wins from their starters, they will be hard pressed to get to 88 total.

HomeFish
03-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Also, if Quentin is healthy, he's a lock for 30+ HR.

Yes, and if my hair were blue I would be a lock for scholarship to clown college.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes, and if my hair were blue I would be a lock for scholarship to clown college.If it's as easy for Quentin to stay healthy as it is to dye hair blue, I'm fine with that. :tongue:

Huisj
03-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I like the 1987 Topps baseball card design for each player's picture.

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2010, 08:09 PM

I loved those cards, but that was the year I was born so I'm a bit biased...I thought they had our starters ERAs a bit high.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I loved those cards, but that was the year I was born so I'm a bit biased...I thought they had our starters ERAs a bit high.It seems like every year they predict Danks and Floyd getting worse, I don't really understand. I have a feeling we will get at least one 19 game winner this year (for whatever feelings are worth). I hope we get at least on pitcher that plays into luck, our top 4 are all capable of 20 wins with a good season and decent luck. *What I'm trying to say is that the wins look low too.*

Still, they say we have the 10th best rotation, 3rd in the AL, so at least they are right in our position in the AL, (we're top 3)... not so sure about all the teams ahead of us, but it's hard to compare with the NL I guess.

asindc
03-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Yes, and if my hair were blue I would be a lock for scholarship to clown college.

Well? What are you waiting for? Get to dyeing!:D:

Nellie_Fox
03-07-2010, 01:20 AM
If your hair was blue, you'd be living in Del Boca Vista.

Foulke You
03-09-2010, 02:16 AM
Those cards bring back a lot of childhood memories! Somewhere in my house I have most of that Topps set!

Johnny Mostil
03-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Yeah, I agree, is weird. I think that if the Sox only get 63 wins from their starters, they will be hard pressed to get to 88 total.

I've never really thought of the relation before, but why would this surprise you? In 2008 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2008.shtml), the Sox won 89, and their starters apparently only 63. In 2009 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2009.shtml), the Sox won only 79, but their starters apparently only 49.

mzh
03-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I've never really thought of the relation before, but why would this surprise you? In 2008 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2008.shtml), the Sox won 89, and their starters apparently only 63. In 2009 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2009.shtml), the Sox won only 79, but their starters apparently only 49.
In 2008 or 2009 it might not have been so hard pressed, but I think its harder to conceive Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, and Freddy to average a bit more than 12 wins. Lets say that Garcia/Hudson only combine for 9 wins, then P/B/D/F only have about 13 wins a piece, and IMO all 4 of them could have 15 or more if our offense comes to the party for once.

Craig Grebeck
03-09-2010, 11:53 AM
In 2008 or 2009 it might not have been so hard pressed, but I think its harder to conceive Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, and Freddy to average a bit more than 12 wins. Lets say that Garcia/Hudson only combine for 9 wins, then P/B/D/F only have about 13 wins a piece, and IMO all 4 of them could have 15 or more if our offense comes to the party for once.
...which is exactly why some of us are, ahem, dissatisfied. With a great offense, this team could win the division by 5+ games if the pitchers have okay years.

*endrant*

mzh
03-09-2010, 11:56 AM
...which is exactly why some of us are, ahem, dissatisfied. With a great offense, this team could win the division by 5+ games if the pitchers have okay years.

*endrant*
Even if Jones/Kotsay are as bad as we are afraid of or if Rios and TCQ aren't quite as good as we want, I still find it hard to believe that not a single person will get 16 wins. If Peavy can do it in San Diego, he can do it here, now.

Johnny Mostil
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Even if Jones/Kotsay are as bad as we are afraid of or if Rios and TCQ aren't quite as good as we want, I still find it hard to believe that not a single person will get 16 wins. If Peavy can do it in San Diego, he can do it here, now.

I tend to agree at least one of the starters will get at least 16 wins, but I also note Peavy has only had at least that many wins once in his career, Buehrle hasn't had that many since 2005, Floyd has only done it once, Danks hasn't done it yet, and Garcia has done it only once in the past seven years.

Mind you, I'm really not a pessimist about this team (though Grebeck has raised some fair concerns over time that I don't seek to rehash here). And, again, I really do think at least one of the five will win at least 16. I just wonder whether, the way pitching has become more specialized, it is more common than we realize for starters to contribute only 60-something wins to a near-90-win team.