PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Sox really want people to enjoy the patio area....

ewokpelts
03-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Sox have been pumping the patio area hard this year.

I got an offer yesterday as an STH to buy discounted patio party passes($31 a pass before ticketbastard fees), and almost every game on ticketmaster/whitesox.com has patio passes in the upsell area(i.e. the space when you can buy parking online), and almost every grand slam group offer i find online has it in thier upsell area. And of course, you can buy patio passes for almost any game at the bpox office(as of 2009).

Why the almost sudden shift in patio access? It was almost exclusively for groups in the past, aside from a series that they are begging people to buy patio passes(09 dodgers series).

Not that i mind, as i just bought two passes online through my account.

#1swisher
03-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I would add the patio pass to some of my games, if they would remodel. Make it more sports bar like instead of concrete prision.

Hitmen77
03-05-2010, 12:08 PM
I would add the patio pass to some of my games, if they would remodel. Make it more sports bar like instead of concrete prision.

Bingo.

The place is extremely underwhelming. Metal picnic benches packed in together surrounded by cinder block walls. The food was passable, but not great by any means....sort of cafeteria-style.

I don't think it was worth the $65 per person or whatever it was I paid when I went with a group last year.

dickallen15
03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Sox have been pumping the patio area hard this year.

I got an offer yesterday as an STH to buy discounted patio party passes($31 a pass before ticketbastard fees), and almost every game on ticketmaster/whitesox.com has patio passes in the upsell area(i.e. the space when you can buy parking online), and almost every grand slam group offer i find online has it in thier upsell area. And of course, you can buy patio passes for almost any game at the bpox office(as of 2009).

Why the almost sudden shift in patio access? It was almost exclusively for groups in the past, aside from a series that they are begging people to buy patio passes(09 dodgers series).

Not that i mind, as i just bought two passes online through my account.

I went to a patio party last year against Boston. There couldn't have been more than 25 people total there, a far cry from my previous appearance when I was getting claustrophobic.

ewokpelts
03-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I went to a patio party last year against Boston. There couldn't have been more than 25 people total there, a far cry from my previous appearance when I was getting claustrophobic.that boston attendance blew chunks. i'm suprised they even opened the patio.

ewokpelts
03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I would add the patio pass to some of my games, if they would remodel. Make it more sports bar like instead of concrete prision.they DID rennovate it. they even put in tvs throughout.

I'm ok with the design. I just dont like the tables. the outside area uses the same tables as the bullpen bar. they should go to that.

However, it wont happen, as the sox use that area for a lot of other events, and aluminum tables are easier to move around than plexiglass and steel tables.

ewokpelts
03-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Bingo.

The place is extremely underwhelming. Metal picnic benches packed in together surrounded by cinder block walls. The food was passable, but not great by any means....sort of cafeteria-style.

I don't think it was worth the $65 per person or whatever it was I paid when I went with a group last year.patio is $41 per game at full price. the game tickets get discounted when bought in conjunction with the pass.

#1swisher
03-05-2010, 12:28 PM
patio is $41 per game at full price. the game tickets get discounted when bought in conjunction with the pass.

Last year I walked up to the box office (I had Sox gift cards) I saw a sign that IIRC add the patio party for $20 or $21.
When did they remodel?

ewokpelts
03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Last year I walked up to the box office (I had Sox gift cards) I saw a sign that IIRC add the patio party for $20 or $21.
When did they remodel?
the box offic eprice is $41($31 on thursday games)

they remodeled in 07 or 08. same overall design, but the beer stands are permament, new paint/tables, 25 inch flat screen tvs everywhere better graphics on the walls/stand coverings, and new dividers every two rows of tables.

Hitmen77
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM
the box offic eprice is $41($31 on thursday games)

they remodeled in 07 or 08. same overall design, but the beer stands are permament, new paint/tables, 25 inch flat screen tvs everywhere better graphics on the walls/stand coverings, and new dividers every two rows of tables.

If they renovated before the 08 season, then I was there after they remodeled. It looked and felt like a crowded cafeteria in there. I'm not all that interested in going back.

...unless they made improvements after the 08 season that I didn't see.

ewokpelts
03-06-2010, 12:11 AM
If they renovated before the 08 season, then I was there after they remodeled. It looked and felt like a crowded cafeteria in there. I'm not all that interested in going back.

...unless they made improvements after the 08 season that I didn't see.it's the white sox. you're not going to get the Chez Paul

Milw
03-06-2010, 09:43 AM
But literally right next door is the Bullpen Bar, which is fantastic in its design. That's what people are asking for. Obviously can be done, but the Sox have to commit to it.

Someone mentioned that the space is used for other purposes and that's why it seems so impersonal. I get that. But if that's the way it has to be, then the Sox shouldn't be surprised that people are underwhelmed by it.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Are we talking about the big thing in center field? Can't anyone go up there if their isn't a party? I was up there for a Tampa Bay game and was right in front and center.

SephClone89
03-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Are we talking about the big thing in center field? Can't anyone go up there if their isn't a party? I was up there for a Tampa Bay game and was right in front and center.

That's the Fan Deck.

I've always wondered though...the Fan Deck is open to whomever if there isn't a party there? And it's made clear whether or not it is reserved?

DumpJerry
03-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Sigh. Review my sig.

That's the Fan Deck.

I've always wondered though...the Fan Deck is open to whomever if there isn't a party there? And it's made clear whether or not it is reserved?
Yes and yes. If you're stopped by a Customer Service Representative at the stairs, it's closed to the general ticket holder.

MinnySoxFan
03-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Sigh. Review my sig.

Yes and yes. If you're stopped by a Customer Service Representative at the stairs, it's closed to the general ticket holder.

Every time I go, there is a rep there...I'm always to timid to try and go up.

Milw
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Every time I go, there is a rep there...I'm always to timid to try and go up.
Go on a weekday in April or early May. It's almost guaranteed to be unreserved.

Foulke You
03-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Bingo.

I don't think it was worth the $65 per person or whatever it was I paid when I went with a group last year.
I went to the patio once and I thought the food was quite good and the "all you can drink" is nice too. It could use a little more decorating but as others have pointed out, it is used for other events. For example, they use it for the garage sale during "Family Field Day". Is it an incredible experience? No, but I'd consider going back.

34 Inch Stick
03-08-2010, 01:49 PM
While the physical venue has an institutional feel to it, I don't go back entirely because of the quality of the food. I see no reason to pay good money when I can get a better product from the vendors in the stadium. If they replaced the boiled hot dogs with grilled polishes I'd probably return...and the menu does not change from day to day.

OldRomanPizza
03-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Never been there.

I remember a game from last July when a fan on the patio was climbing the fence during a double hit to the center field wall. What made it even more funny was the fact this guy was about 45 years old.

ewokpelts
03-08-2010, 03:47 PM
While the physical venue has an institutional feel to it, I don't go back entirely because of the quality of the food. I see no reason to pay good money when I can get a better product from the vendors in the stadium. If they replaced the boiled hot dogs with grilled polishes I'd probably return...and the menu does not change from day to day.do you eat in the bullpen bar? and if so, do yo ulike thie rfood?

it's the same food as the patio. bullpen bar and patio are run by the bertucci's. 100/500 level are sportservice, and levy runs the 300 level(and suites)

ewokpelts
03-08-2010, 03:48 PM
The Bullpen Bar is ok, but I know plenty of people who dont like it as they feel like they are watching the game in a wharehouse.

the patio since it was rennovated is nice.

TomBradley72
03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
While the physical venue has an institutional feel to it, I don't go back entirely because of the quality of the food. I see no reason to pay good money when I can get a better product from the vendors in the stadium. If they replaced the boiled hot dogs with grilled polishes I'd probably return...and the menu does not change from day to day.

It COULD be great, but the Sox to make a half hearted effort to invest in making it a really cool fan experience. Plus the security out there sucks...last time I was out there...a HUGE fight breaks out among about 10-11 knuckleleads...the fighting group...moved back and forth the entire length of the Patio Area 3-4 times before a pretty clueless security guys sleepily walks up to see what's going on. Lots of families and little kids right in the middle of the mess..