PDA

View Full Version : Honorary Bat Girl or Boy Contest

#1swisher
03-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Going to Bat Against Breast Cancer. 18 years or older, submit your story by April 13th.
One winner per MLB team will be chosen to be honorary bat girl/boy on Mothers' Day May 9th.

http://mlb.mlb.com/sponsors/komen/index.jsp

It's Dankerific
03-02-2010, 11:27 AM
They changed the contest. a week ago it was just an honorary bat girl that could be either a male or female. I liked it better that way.

Rohan
03-02-2010, 11:46 AM
They changed the contest. a week ago it was just an honorary bat girl that could be either a male or female. I liked it better that way.

Males get breast cancer too.

It's Dankerific
03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Males get breast cancer too.

Of course. I LIKE that they didnt exclude males. I just didnt want them to change the name. :shrug:

Rohan
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Of course. I LIKE that they didnt exclude males. I just didnt want them to change the name. :shrug:

But what dude is going to want to be a bat girl :?:.
And vice-versa. So they can just have honorary bot boy or bat girl. I think it makes sense :smile:

It's Dankerific
03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
But what dude is going to want to be a bat girl :?:.
And vice-versa. So they can just have honorary bot boy or bat girl. I think it makes sense :smile:

Considering they always call it a bat boy, i think you get the most amount of awareness/newness by having it be called a bat girl. since all these entrants are judged based on a breast cancer story, i think that any such entrants aren't going to have a problem with it. unless they changed it, they still win a completely pink get-up.

Rohan
03-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Considering they always call it a bat boy, i think you get the most amount of awareness/newness by having it be called a bat girl. since all these entrants are judged based on a breast cancer story, i think that any such entrants aren't going to have a problem with it. unless they changed it, they still win a completely pink get-up.

I see what you're saying. But what needs more awareness? The fact that breast cancer is a major issue today? That women should check regularly for breast cancer? (They're taught this at a relatively young age). Or that men too can get breast cancer. And even more importantly, that men too should check, or should be checked for breast cancer. I bet if you took a poll of men on the street asking them whether or not they're susceptible to breast cancer, the overwhelming majority would say they're not.

By making it solely a bat girl, the fact that breast cancer is a problem amongst men is ignored. And awareness is actually taken way from that fact.