PDA

View Full Version : I think the Cubs are now just openly messing with our minds.....

ewokpelts
03-01-2010, 03:10 PM
First they scalp tickets in a presale, now this:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ticketing/mastercard_offer.jsp?partnerId=ed-3214782-126079298

Ticket DISCOUNT when you buy crappy april games.

whitem0nkey
03-01-2010, 03:16 PM
How Dare they!

Dick Allen
03-01-2010, 03:24 PM
What do you mean, messing with OUR minds? I couldn't care less what they do with their tickets. Let them mess with the Flubbie fans' minds, at least those who actually have one. :redneck

DumpJerry
03-01-2010, 03:31 PM
What do you mean, messing with OUR minds? I couldn't care less what they do with their tickets. Let them mess with the Flubbie fans' minds, at least those who actually have one. :redneck
I was wondering the same thing. As someone who has never bought a Cub ticket, my mind is not effected by their policies. My mind might be entertained when they screw over their fanbase, but that is as far as it goes.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-01-2010, 10:32 PM
The more important question is this:

Who the hell carries a MasterCard?

MarkM2112
03-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Bbbbbut cub fans are the most loyal in the world and totally sell out their ballpark every game!!! Why in the world would they need to *gasp* discount their tickets???

ilsox7
03-01-2010, 11:37 PM

I have the MLB White Sox one.

doublem23
03-01-2010, 11:42 PM

Millions of Americans?

GoGoCrede
03-01-2010, 11:59 PM

I do, and so does the rest of my family.

DumpJerry
03-01-2010, 11:59 PM

Just about everyone but you?

CLR01
03-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Millions of Americans?

No kidding. I'd wager that it would be easier to count the poeple who don't have a mastercard.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this deal? Do I just not have my flubsession googles on tight enough?

DumpJerry
03-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Can someone tell me what is wrong with this deal? Do I just not have my flubsession googles on tight enough?
I think the OP is the only one who is bothered by this deal. In fact, I think it would be a good thing for the Sox to look into for those cold April/May games where we see about 15-20,000 people during the week.

CLR01
03-02-2010, 12:17 AM
I think the OP is the only one who is bothered by this deal. In fact, I think it would be a good thing for the Sox to look into for those cold April/May games where we see about 15-20,000 people during the week.

Guess I'll get those googles looked at then.

voodoochile
03-02-2010, 12:19 AM

This is standard stuff for expiring assets. An unsold seat can never be recouped. It's similar to hotels putting rooms on hotwire or whatever, because it's better to sell them for something than to have them go unsold.

The flubbies are just getting ahead of the curve and offering these discounts earlier than day of game. If you know you're going to have 10K unsold seats and are going to be competing with season ticket owners dumping their seats below cost to unwanted cold weather games they might as well try to match the market prices and sell even more tickets.

Ewok mentioned in another thread about being able to buy scalped April Sox tickets for $5 apiece. If the Sox would get involved and start selling unsold seats right now for $10 apiece people might buy them up and not wait for the scalpers.

It's Dankerific
03-02-2010, 02:52 AM
you can't scalp at a loss.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Just about everyone but you?

That is a lot of people. I have a Visa, Discover, and AmEx but not a MC. And where I work, I see lots of people with a Visa and I see more Discover/AmEx than I do MasterCards.

There is nothing wrong with them, except that I Dunn got one! :redneck

voodoochile
03-02-2010, 10:24 AM
you can't scalp at a loss.

Is this an argument on semantics?

You can second hand sell at a loss if you want. I never really made the distinction between the two actions as the net result is the same. One for profit and one for loss...

It's Dankerific
03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Is this an argument on semantics?

You can second hand sell at a loss if you want. I never really made the distinction between the two actions as the net result is the same. One for profit and one for loss...

I was just pointing out the definition. the definition of scalping is not merely reselling a ticket, its doing it at above the face value.

I dont think that friends who share a ticket plan would want to be referred to as scalpers. :shrug:

kittle42
03-02-2010, 02:25 PM
I was just pointing out the definition. the definition of scalping is not merely reselling a ticket, its doing it at above the face value.

I dont think that friends who share a ticket plan would want to be referred to as scalpers. :shrug:

Good point, Dank - even if it is just semantics. Is our Ticket Exchange board here scalping? No.

ewokpelts
03-02-2010, 11:05 PM
I think the OP is the only one who is bothered by this deal. In fact, I think it would be a good thing for the Sox to look into for those cold April/May games where we see about 15-20,000 people during the week.the sox offer 1/2 price group codes for those games.

ewokpelts
03-02-2010, 11:15 PM
My problem was that the week of Feb 15, these same games were sold in a pre-sale for 20% markup, now they are 10% off.

Cubs should make up thier minds about the april/may games.

CLR01
03-02-2010, 11:45 PM
My problem was that the week of Feb 15, these same games were sold in a pre-sale for 20% markup, now they are 10% off.

Except they did it for all of their games, April to September, to give people who are willing.....ah **** it, waste of time.

kittle42
03-02-2010, 11:47 PM

Except they did it for all of their games, April to September, to give people who are willing.....ah **** it, waste of time.

Exactly. ewok, you're WAY off on this one.

voodoochile
03-03-2010, 12:07 AM

If you don't really understand why they are doing this then you should take the time to take some basic economics and finance classes. This is very very basic stuff which all sorts of businesses do in an effort to reap maximum revenue from expiring assets like tickets for entertainment events or hotel rooms or even airplane seats.

You charge more to give people a chance to buy for games they really want to ensure seats. Then you charge less for less desirable dates once the premium phase and the initial regular selling phase are finished.

It's actually a very smart business model and will probably be followed by many teams who have the demand to allow them to.

Do you really not understand these basic concepts or are you simply taking another potshot at the flubbies? I suspect I know which, but just in case I refer you to the first paragraph in my reply...

DumpJerry
03-03-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm convinced the OP got confused. This is WhiteSoxInteractive, not the Cub fan site. Bottom line: We. Don't. Care.

DSpivack
03-03-2010, 01:10 AM
If you don't really understand why they are doing this then you should take the time to take some basic economics and finance classes. This is very very basic stuff which all sorts of businesses do in an effort to reap maximum revenue from expiring assets like tickets for entertainment events or hotel rooms or even airplane seats.

You charge more to give people a chance to buy for games they really want to ensure seats. Then you charge less for less desirable dates once the premium phase and the initial regular selling phase are finished.

It's actually a very smart business model and will probably be followed by many teams who have the demand to allow them to.

Do you really not understand these basic concepts or are you simply taking another potshot at the flubbies? I suspect I know which, but just in case I refer you to the first paragraph in my reply...

I was really interested last year to see what the Giants were doing with some tickets. They had flexible pricing throughout the year. So, before the season started, say a random game in August would be priced at whatever it would normally be. Maybe the team started out slow in April, prices go down, they get hot, it goes up, you get even closer and it's a great pitching matchup, they go up again. I wonder if a dynamic model like that isn't the future of pricing in American sports [and moreso in baseball than any other, since the season is the longest and has by far the most amount of games].

ewokpelts
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I know why teams offer discounts on april games.

But when it comes to the cubs, thier motives and actions are always hard to figure out.

3 weeks ago, these aprils games were 20 % higher through a presale. But, NOW they are 10% off.

Why even bother marking up ticket sthat you will later need to discount?

When you look at the Red Sox( who the cubs think they are most like), they handle the april/may ticket problem in a clever way.

They sell these games(and a big chunk of September games) EARLIER than the summer dates. These go on sale as early as December.
Fans who want early access to red sox tickets(or want to give them as gifts) can do so.

The Red Sox also sell 4 game packs that include april/may/sept games with higher profile summer games.

No need to discount tickets, becuase they moved most of the hard to sell inventory before the big games even go on sale(yankees and premium games were via lottery this year).

Now, why cant the cubs do this?

Hell, the White Sox sell ozzie plans in december, and make you buy 2 games in april, may, AND september.

voodoochile
03-03-2010, 04:04 PM

But when it comes to the cubs, thier motives and actions are always hard to figure out.

3 weeks ago, these aprils games were 20 % higher through a presale. But, NOW they are 10% off.

When you look at the Red Sox( who the cubs think they are most like), they handle the april/may ticket problem in a clever way.

They sell these games(and a big chunk of September games) EARLIER than the summer dates. These go on sale as early as December.
Fans who want early access to red sox tickets(or want to give them as gifts) can do so.

The Red Sox also sell 4 game packs that include april/may/sept games with higher profile summer games.

No need to discount tickets, becuase they moved most of the hard to sell inventory before the big games even go on sale(yankees and premium games were via lottery this year).

Hell, the White Sox sell ozzie plans in december, and make you buy 2 games in april, may, AND september.

Sigh... The only person who seems to be confused is you...

MARTINMVP
03-07-2010, 03:43 PM

I think it all falls down to supply and demand. The Cubs have the demand to do this, and whether anyone likes it or not, baseball is a business first - this applies to all teams.

HomeFish
03-07-2010, 04:10 PM
MasterCard is the official credit card of HomeFish. I never go anywhere without my MasterCard in my wallet.

soltrain21
03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
MasterCard is the official credit card of HomeFish. I never go anywhere without my MasterCard in my wallet.

I just got bank fraud for 1,600 dollars on my Visa.

IlliniSox4Life
03-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Because ALL tickets were marked up. The reason they had their presale with the markup was to allow fans who wanted tickets to a specific date the a much better chance of getting them. If you had a kid/friend/relative whose birthday was in April and you wanted to take them to a Cub game on their birthday, you would have been fairly likely to buy the ticket in the presale just to guarantee yourself the best seats you could get. It would be worth the extra 20%. Now the Cubs sold tickets to everybody who was willing to do that and made some extra money. Now that those people have paid a premium, the Cubs are discounting the seats to sell the rest off.

It really makes perfect sense and I don't have a problem with it.

Frontman
03-07-2010, 06:39 PM

*raises hand*

The only times I've been at Wrigley has been with free tickets. I won't even go to a concert there.

Frontman
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Because ALL tickets were marked up. The reason they had their presale with the markup was to allow fans who wanted tickets to a specific date the a much better chance of getting them. If you had a kid/friend/relative whose birthday was in April and you wanted to take them to a Cub game on their birthday, you would have been fairly likely to buy the ticket in the presale just to guarantee yourself the best seats you could get. It would be worth the extra 20%. Now the Cubs sold tickets to everybody who was willing to do that and made some extra money. Now that those people have paid a premium, the Cubs are discounting the seats to sell the rest off.

It really makes perfect sense and I don't have a problem with it.

And its just good business sense. We might complain that the Sox charge more for 'premium' games; but man, we do fill the ballparks on those days. So; being smart business; make a bit more money off of it.

Gavin
03-07-2010, 07:12 PM
the argument within OP's post is the type of thing that would get brought up and dismissed within 15 seconds in a real life conversation.... assuming the OP has bright enough people to talk to

Nellie_Fox
03-08-2010, 01:56 AM
The only times I've been at Wrigley has been with free tickets. I've turned down free tickets. Many times.

Frontman
03-08-2010, 07:31 AM
I've turned down free tickets. Many times.

Once was to see Pete Rose ty Ty Cobb's hit record; so I can't complain too much.

ChiSoxGirl
03-08-2010, 08:34 AM
*raises hand*

The only times I've been at Wrigley has been with free tickets. I won't even go to a concert there.

I did... last year, and it was not a pleasant experience. I hadn't been to Wrigley Field in 20 years, but a good friend of mine LOVES Rascal Flatts and they were playing over there, so she asked me to go with her. She & I always go see them together, and the venue definitely kept me from accepting her offer immediately! I bit the bullet and went with her, though. We had seats on the field, but the number of people around me in Cubs gear was nauseating! Apparently, they didn't get the memo that there wasn't a ballgame there that night! My friend, who's a Cub fan, said to me, "You'd be wearing Sox gear if this was at Sox Park." Um, no I wouldn't have because I wasn't going to a Sox game; I was going to a Rascal Flatts concert. And the best part was when they played "Go Cubs Go" (before the concert) after the Cubs had won their game in Pittsburgh. :rolleyes:

I've turned down free tickets. Many times.

As have I!!!

jabrch
03-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I spent a lot of time there in my 20s and early 30s. Lately, with limited time (3 year old twins), I have to be more selective about my entertainment time - and I'd rather play golf or be at USCF if I have a half day to spend. That said, I don't HATE Wrigely (or the Cubs).

Johnny Mostil
03-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Once was to see Pete Rose ty Ty Cobb's hit record; so I can't complain too much.

Me too! Actually, I paid for my ticket that day, possibly with a MasterCard, the only card I carry. While I tend to agree with Nellie about attending Cub games, as a Cincinnati native, no, I don't regret giving the Cubs my money that day.

Voodoo, you raise some good points here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2438070&postcount=14). I haven't thought this through much, but I wonder if that would hurt season ticket sales. I mean, if I know the Sox are going to compete with me on the resale, am I going to get into the original sale through a season ticket purchase?

I actually thought Gene made some valid points here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2438909&postcount=27). But I really can't say I've thought through how the Cubs ought to market their games. And it sure doesn't bother me if they want to **** up their marketing.

voodoochile
03-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Me too! Actually, I paid for my ticket that day, possibly with a MasterCard, the only card I carry. While I tend to agree with Nellie about attending Cub games, as a Cincinnati native, no, I don't regret giving the Cubs my money that day.

Voodoo, you raise some good points here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2438070&postcount=14). I haven't thought this through much, but I wonder if that would hurt season ticket sales. I mean, if I know the Sox are going to compete with me on the resale, am I going to get into the original sale through a season ticket purchase?

I actually thought Gene made some valid points here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2438909&postcount=27). But I really can't say I've thought through how the Cubs ought to market their games. And it sure doesn't bother me if they want to **** up their marketing.

The Sox don't have the same demand as the flubs. The flubbies are pretty much sold out except for those early season games before the season even starts or have been in recent years. In addition there are other benefits of having season tickets that don't come with buying reduced price seats in April (giveaways, the chance at post season tickets, access to private clubs, etc.) Many people who buy the season tickets do so because they want those options.

In addition, the seats are generally much better with season tickets. Is a reduced price upper deck seat really the equivalent of a box seat behind the dugout?

Will there be people who complain? Sure, but there only option is to not buy season tickets and given the flubbies high demand, someone else will be waiting to take that option up leaving the ST dumpers free to buy the reduced price seats in April and take their chances on getting post season seats if they are available.

Again, this model won't work for every team, though I wouldn't be surprised to see many of them do something on shorter notice like hotels do with Hotwire, though maybe not with the Sox who have always relied on larger walkup crowds.

DumpJerry
03-08-2010, 11:07 AM
As a season ticket holder who typically sells off about three dozen games each season, I would not be worried about such a program hurting my ability to sell my tickets. Most season seats are in better locations than what the team has available to the general public and I have never had trouble selling Monday games even though they are not half price for me.

MARTINMVP
03-08-2010, 12:23 PM
My fiance's uncle goes in on Cubs season tickets right behind the visitors dugout with a few other business partners. While I haven't heard the entire story yet, I was told that this is the last year they are doing the tickets due to some new policy the Cubs are instituting that will significantly raise the cost of the tickets.

Not sure about the specifics, nor do I really care to find out, but I just wonder... with Cub tickets continuing to rise (and again, the demand warrants the price increase, I believe, but nevertheless...), it becomes harder for the average person to attend a ballgame, I would think. I think that impacts the casual fan and makes it more likely they will go to U.S. Cellular Field.

Cell tickets are cheaper, much easier to obtain... that's part of the reason why I as a casual fan took a vested interest in the White Sox - I think the harder Cub tickets become, I think the more you may see (slowly) this benefit the White Sox. There are far smarter people out there that have a better grasp on this stuff - I very well could be wrong.

voodoochile
03-08-2010, 12:56 PM
My fiance's uncle goes in on Cubs season tickets right behind the visitors dugout with a few other business partners. While I haven't heard the entire story yet, I was told that this is the last year they are doing the tickets due to some new policy the Cubs are instituting that will significantly raise the cost of the tickets.

Not sure about the specifics, nor do I really care to find out, but I just wonder... with Cub tickets continuing to rise (and again, the demand warrants the price increase, I believe, but nevertheless...), it becomes harder for the average person to attend a ballgame, I would think. I think that impacts the casual fan and makes it more likely they will go to U.S. Cellular Field.

Cell tickets are cheaper, much easier to obtain... that's part of the reason why I as a casual fan took a vested interest in the White Sox - I think the harder Cub tickets become, I think the more you may see (slowly) this benefit the White Sox. There are far smarter people out there that have a better grasp on this stuff - I very well could be wrong.

For the casual fan just looking for an entertainment option Sox tickets and flubs tickets are nearly interchangeable. The easy access to bars around Wrigley changes that equation somewhat, but you are correct as prices go up people are more likely to head south for their baseball fix and then travel to an after game location.

I can't fault the flubbies for sucking every dime they can out of their current demand structure. It appears to be almost a vertical curve...

ewokpelts
03-08-2010, 02:31 PM

Cell tickets are cheaper, much easier to obtain... that's part of the reason why I as a casual fan took a vested interest in the White Sox - I think the harder Cub tickets become, I think the more you may see (slowly) this benefit the White Sox. There are far smarter people out there that have a better grasp on this stuff - I very well could be wrong.seems like your uncle and his ticket partners actually go to the games, which makes the price increasehard to swallow. a broker with those seats would just pay tommy boy ricketts and sell like normal.

1908<2005
03-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Makes sense. The Cubs aren't a very good team and the ticket prices are nuts for the economy we're in.

kittle42
03-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Makes sense. The Cubs aren't a very good team and the ticket prices are nuts for the economy we're in.

How is that even relevant if you sell out every game regardless?

1908<2005
03-10-2010, 01:06 AM

I heard that Cubs ticket sales were down this year.

Nellie_Fox
03-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Well. That settles it then.

kittle42
03-10-2010, 03:08 AM

Well. That settles it then.

Oh, Nellie - I enjoy the after midnight times you get to post something sarcastic before I get to it...

And really, 1908<2005, that's your defense??? I heard the Earth revolves around the moon.

soltrain21
03-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Oh, Nellie - I enjoy the after midnight times you get to post something sarcastic before I get to it...

And really, 1908<2005, that's your defense??? I heard the Earth revolves around the moon.

His username tells us he isn't insanely biased when it comes to a debate about the Cubs.

DrCrawdad
03-11-2010, 01:01 AM

When did the Cubbies start selling out every game? Clearly they draw well, but every game sold out? Wow, didn't know that.

kittle42
03-11-2010, 08:00 AM
When did the Cubbies start selling out every game? Clearly they draw well, but every game sold out? Wow, didn't know that.

Jesus, Crawdad. You know what I meant.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2009/sort/homePct

Good enough.

DrCrawdad
03-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Jesus, Crawdad. You know what I meant.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2009/sort/homePct

Good enough.

'The Cubs sell-out every game...' is the oft-repeated meme. Clearly the Cubs draw very well, no debate about that but the fact is they do not sellout every game.

I know what you meant. However it does rankle me a bit whenever I hear that, 'the Cubs sell-out every game...' since it's not true & perhaps because it's often said along with, 'no one goes to Sox games...'

I do understand what you meant but why repeat that untruth, an overstatement that is flattering to the Cubs on White Sox Interactive? (And before someone jumps on that last comment, I have no trouble with factual, honest comments on the Cubs that are flattering to them. Just make it true.)

Peace out!

:smile: