PDA

View Full Version : Why no weekday afternoon games until June???

Fenway
02-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Maybe this has been addressed in another thread but I am shocked that there is not a single afternoon weekday game scheduled at The Cell until June (not counting Opening Day)

I for one love those weekday games as you are there with REAL baseball fans.

Those games early in the year mean so much to older Sox fans who can't afford the night games.

It also means less Nancy :(

What gives????

Lip Man 1
02-28-2010, 01:24 AM
School for one thing in April / May

Lip

oeo
02-28-2010, 01:25 AM

Or those that don't have school or can get off of work.

What exactly is a "real" fan, anyway? People always throw this "term" around but can never answer that question.

Fenway
02-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Or those that don't have school or can get off of work.

What exactly is a "real" fan, anyway? People always throw this "term" around but can never answer that question.

Oh I can....

Fans that know the score...and start pondering when it is the 4th innning and there is a zero in the hit column. At Sox Park you get that buzz ...8 miles north not exactly

roylestillman
02-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Usually weekday afternoon games are at the end of a homestand and are scheduled as getaway days. All of the homestands in April and May end on Sundays, so they don't need the getaway schedule.

I love weekday afternoon games, too, but attendance-wise they are deadly. Unlesss you can pack in the day camp groups the joint is empty. (Who can forget the Sox/Dodgers Thursday Afternoon "Premium" game.)

DaveFeelsRight
02-28-2010, 07:09 AM

Lip+ weather

dllrbll7
02-28-2010, 07:28 AM
The attendance always sucks at those game and its always imposible to get rid of the tickets for those games, so I'm glad there aren't any. I'm assuming the attendance definately played a factor.

dickallen15
02-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Oh I can....

Fans that know the score...and start pondering when it is the 4th innning and there is a zero in the hit column. At Sox Park you get that buzz ...8 miles north not exactly

Ironically, if weekday afternoon games bring out the "real" fans, the team 8 miles north probably plays more of those than any major league team. As a season ticketholder with a job I can't always leave early from, I appreciate the lack of afternoon games during the week. I would welcome them on Saturdays. I love the Saturday afternoon game, but that is also a time kids have little league and other activities in the summer. That's a conflict I suppose the White Sox would like to avoid as much as possible.

LITTLE NELL
02-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Fenway, check your Red Sox schedule and you will see that they have a grand total of 2 weekday afternoon games in April and May and one of those is Patriots Day in Boston which is always a late morning game. The other one is a Thurs. get-away day.

Rohan
02-28-2010, 09:15 AM
I love this. Gives me an opportunity to watch more games. Really nothing to complain about here.

I think Nancy is trying to work fewer games every year. She loves her job, but dang has she been at it for awhile!

Jerko
02-28-2010, 09:21 AM
those are my favorite games. hope they bring them back. as for weather being a factor, I'd rather be out there in the daytime in April than at night. i know a lot of work outings took place at those games, along with day camps, little leagues, and such, so the attendance won't really be much better IMO.

Daver
02-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Lip

Chicago public schools don't get out for the summer until late June.

Harry Potter
02-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Its just Fenway being Fenway. For the reasons discussed above I'm a fan of the sched as it stands

Noneck
02-28-2010, 11:03 AM
+ weather

Actually it is warmer during the day than at night.

TDog
02-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Actually it is warmer during the day than at night.

That is why you typically have so many day games at home in Chicago in April (and why you typically have so many day games throughout the year in the Bay Area, where a night game can be brutal to sit though at just about any point in the season). It is also the reason that World Series games, at least on Saturdays and Sundays, should be played during the day, but that is straying from the topic.

In 1976, there were complaints from fans, amplified by Harry Caray,that there were so many night games in April. Harry Caray said it was because the league expected the White Sox to be playing their home games indoors in Seattle.

Playing night games in April won't necessarily increase April attendance. It could hurt April attendance.

Fenway
02-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Fenway, check your Red Sox schedule and you will see that they have a grand total of 2 weekday afternoon games in April and May and one of those is Patriots Day in Boston which is always a late morning game. The other one is a Thurs. get-away day.

It has been that way in Boston for decades and it is mainly because of the way season tickets are sold. The Red Sox have 3 season plans A,N and W)

A is every game.

N is every weekday night game

W is weekends and Opening Day.

A and N holders get same seats for post-season - W gets alternate seats.

The City of Boston also wants the team to play at night because day games cause horrific traffic problems in the Back Bay.

Patriot's Day and the 4th of July are hopeless because of the millions who flock in to to the city to watch the marathon or Boston Pops concert.

Brian26
02-28-2010, 11:36 AM
I think Nancy is trying to work fewer games every year. She loves her job, but dang has she been at it for awhile!

This is Nancy's last year. She retires after the season.

Jerko
02-28-2010, 11:44 AM
I wonder if rainouts have anything to do with this? There have been tons of them lately and they always seem to be scrambling to find a makeup date. With so many afternoon weekday games scheduled last year (11 I think, outside of Cubs and opener), it was hard to add a nightcap onto one of those days, especially the last game of a series. Maybe with all night games scheduled, it's easier to stick a make up day game in there since the teams will already be playing at night? Just a thought.

Lip Man 1
02-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Daver:

Good thing I went to a Catholic school and high school. We got out right before Memorial Day and didn't start until right after Labor Day!

:smile:

Lip

DumpJerry
02-28-2010, 12:01 PM
The attendance always sucks at those game and its always imposible to get rid of the tickets for those games, so I'm glad there aren't any. I'm assuming the attendance definately played a factor.
I noticed about three weeks ago that there are only three weekday day games. Rather than start a thread here about it to start endless speculation, I went to the source. I asked my rep about it.

My rep told me that dllrbll7 is right. The Sox get hammered on attendance at weekday day games, so they said the heck with the MLBPA's request for day games on get-a-way days and made them night games to boost attendance. I like this since I hate weekday day games as a season ticket holder (impossible to find someone to take off from work to go to a game and they always seem to fall on days when I have unexpected brush fires to put out at the office).

Jerko
02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Outside of Cubs day game, opening day, and labor day, Sox had 10 scheduled weekday afternoon games last year. The last four of these day games had at least 25000 in attendance. The Tampa day game was the most attended game of that series. The difference is about 5000 (day game compared to the night game the night before). Night games of a certain series are usually more poplulated than the day games, but not always and not by much. Plus, the Sox keep half of the concession stands closed during those day games and maybe have 3 ushers working, so they don't lose as much as they say IMO. (people still eat and drink, they just have to wait longer)

Last 4 day games last year:

7-9 27257 Cle
7-23 28036 TB
8-6 27487 LAA
8-19 25785 KC

The April numbers did suck though for day games:

4-9 18091 KC
4-29 18023 SEA

The other 4:

5-21 23048 MIN
6-4 18219 OAK
6-11 20824 DET
6-25 20051 infamous LAD

I guess I can see their point somewhat, but to cut from 10 games to 3 is drastic. Good thing I enjoy any game at any time, but I will miss having more day games.

source
http://espn.go.com/mlb/teams/schedule?team=chw&season=2009&half=1

Noneck
02-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Daver:

Good thing I went to a Catholic school and high school. We got out right before Memorial Day and didn't start until right after Labor Day!

:smile:

Lip

Now they start the 3rd week in August and get out the week after Memorial Day. That explains why these kids are smarter than us.

Ranger
02-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Outside of Cubs day game, opening day, and labor day, Sox had 10 scheduled weekday afternoon games last year. The last four of these day games had at least 25000 in attendance. The Tampa day game was the most attended game of that series. The difference is about 5000 (day game compared to the night game the night before). Night games of a certain series are usually more poplulated than the day games, but not always and not by much. Plus, the Sox keep half of the concession stands closed during those day games and maybe have 3 ushers working, so they don't lose as much as they say IMO. (people still eat and drink, they just have to wait longer)

Last 4 day games last year:

7-9 27257 Cle
7-23 28036 TB
8-6 27487 LAA
8-19 25785 KC

The April numbers did suck though for day games:

4-9 18091 KC
4-29 18023 SEA

The other 4:

5-21 23048 MIN
6-4 18219 OAK
6-11 20824 DET
6-25 20051 infamous LAD

I guess I can see their point somewhat, but to cut from 10 games to 3 is drastic. Good thing I enjoy any game at any time, but I will miss having more day games.

source
http://espn.go.com/mlb/teams/schedule?team=chw&season=2009&half=1

But those 7 games could mean a couple million dollars difference for them. It's not about losing money because they're paying to keep concession stands open, it's about the money they're losing from not having the ticket sales. Concession money isn't even close to ticket sales money.

Jerko
02-28-2010, 06:19 PM
But those 7 games could mean a couple million dollars difference for them. It's not about losing money because they're paying to keep concession stands open, it's about the money they're losing from not having the ticket sales. Concession money isn't even close to ticket sales money.

I'm saying they won't be driven to bankruptcy if they had say, 5 afternoon day games.

Jason82807
02-28-2010, 06:41 PM
This is Nancy's last year. She retires after the season.

I didn't hear that until now, but I figured as much since there are fewer day games and she has her own bobblehead

Frontman
02-28-2010, 07:05 PM

What gives????

Can we do away with this phrase, please?

As soon as I "REAL" describing any sort of fan; more often than not I have encountered elitism. Then those same fans; who looked down their noses at the casual fans, get POed when their team can't make moves due to lack of money; or that their TV show got yanked because only "REAL" fans were tuning in.

The fact there is less weekday afternoon baseball comes down to money. And before anyone chimes in that "Yeah, well; they already make a lot...." stop it. Seriously, stop it.

Not a single one of us would take a pay cut willingly; stop asking sports franchises to basically do what you're not willing to.

Sorry if I'm snarky; but that whole "Real" actually translates, in many people's minds, as "better." Just like "Real" soccer fans overseas like to have hooliganism; I have no stomach for those who want to think they're more "real" than me, since I can't show up for a 1:05 first pitch. Since, you know; I have to work for a living.

And no, I won't take a pay cut willingly. As that means I might not afford a brat the next game I go to!!

(jumping down off of the soapbox.)

Ranger
02-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm saying they won't be driven to bankruptcy if they had say, 5 afternoon day games.

Well, of course not. There was really no need for you to say that because nobody was suggesting they would. But they can generate more revenue if they do it this way.

Dub25
02-28-2010, 11:28 PM

I might not be reading this right but the money is made from concessions and not ticket sales. Even though we gripe about ticket price increases, the cost of a ticket still blows away the price of a beer or nachos.

voodoochile
02-28-2010, 11:42 PM
I might not be reading this right but the money is made from concessions and not ticket sales. Even though we gripe about ticket price increases, the cost of a ticket still blows away the price of a beer or nachos.

Correct and there are other factors too. Filling an empty seat costs almost nothing extra until you add enough extra seats where you have to start paying for more security/ushers. Selling an extra $25 ticket probably drops $24+ straight to the bottom line.

Meanwhile food and drink does have an inherent cost associated with it though I doubt it's much above 15% in a ballpark setting and might even be below 10%. Still selling more seats and parking spaces is the best way to ensure more revenue because on top of the massive boost to gross profits, you simply cannot sell more food or memorabilia unless you have more people in the park.

If the average ticket sale means $30 in revenue (including food drink and parking) then a game that draws an extra 10K people to the park drops and easy 250K to the bottom line. 7 games could easily mean an extra $2M in raw profits and those numbers are conservative too boot. Including parking it's probably more like $40 in revenue of which $35 is pure profit...

voodoochile
02-28-2010, 11:44 PM

They have day games on weekends too. Why would you want the team to willingly sacrifice money that might lead to a better on field product?

HomeFish
03-01-2010, 12:22 AM
I agree with voodochile here. As fans, we want the ownership to make as much money as possible, because that increases the chance that payroll is increased.

Like I said in 2003 when they sold the stadium rights, I'd be happy to cheer for the "Chicago Cell Phones" if it got them a substantially bigger payroll. I'm actually not sure if I'd still go that far post-2005, but the basic principle is still accurate.

Nellie_Fox
03-01-2010, 01:07 AM
I'd be happy to cheer for the "Chicago Cell Phones" if it got them a substantially bigger payroll. I think that would probably be too far for me.

Dub25
03-01-2010, 01:28 AM
I think that would probably be too far for me.

Why? I would cheer for the Chicago Cell Phones, too.

Nellie_Fox
03-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Why? I would cheer for the Chicago Cell Phones, too.Go ahead. I think that if baseball ever gets to the point of European soccer, with all the ads all over the uniforms, I'll find something else to occupy my time. I still call the park Comiskey. I'm a life-long White Sox fan; I could not cheer for the Chicago Cell Phones.

Dub25
03-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Go ahead. I think that if baseball ever gets to the point of European soccer, with all the ads all over the uniforms, I'll find something else to occupy my time. I still call the park Comiskey. I'm a life-long White Sox fan; I could not cheer for the Chicago Cell Phones.

Who cares what the park is called. I go to see a team with a chance to win the 2010 world series and hopefully 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and so on and so forth.

voodoochile
03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Who cares what the park is called. I go to see a team with a chance to win the 2010 world series and hopefully 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and so on and so forth.

They aren't talking about the ballpark's name, but the actual team name...

Jerko
03-01-2010, 10:01 AM
They have day games on weekends too. Why would you want the team to willingly sacrifice money that might lead to a better on field product?

they've always had day games. they're not going to suck any worse if they play 6 weekday games compared to 3. and like i said, a few of the day games outdrew the game the night before and one was actually the most attended game of the series.

ohiosoxfan
03-01-2010, 11:55 AM
To get a lot of those kids/senior groups in, you have to discount tickets, so the ticket revenue might not be as high even if the attendance is equal or better than a night game. Also, kids aren't drinking beer which is one of the highest profit items in the ballpark, and over-21 fans tend not to drink as much beer as they normally would at a game- same with Sunday afternoons. Soda is also a high profit item, but fans don't usually drink 5-6 sodas like they might with beer. Unfortunate, since I really like the afternoon games as well- allows me to drive back to Ohio after the game and save on hotel. Plus- its just nice to watch baseball in the sunshine!

Sad
03-01-2010, 12:40 PM
they've always had day games. they're not going to suck any worse if they play 6 weekday games compared to 3. and like i said, a few of the day games outdrew the game the night before and one was actually the most attended game of the series.

I've always liked the weekday games-
gives me an excuse to not be in the office... we call them "offsite meetings" :tongue:

ewokpelts
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
I noticed about three weeks ago that there are only three weekday day games. Rather than start a thread here about it to start endless speculation, I went to the source. I asked my rep about it.

My rep told me that dllrbll7 is right. The Sox get hammered on attendance at weekday day games, so they said the heck with the MLBPA's request for day games on get-a-way days and made them night games to boost attendance. I like this since I hate weekday day games as a season ticket holder (impossible to find someone to take off from work to go to a game and they always seem to fall on days when I have unexpected brush fires to put out at the office).on the flip side, the best deals are the april/may day games....i love seeing scalpers sell lower deck tix for $5

Ranger
03-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Correct.

Go ahead. I think that if baseball ever gets to the point of European soccer, with all the ads all over the uniforms, I'll find something else to occupy my time. I still call the park Comiskey. I'm a life-long White Sox fan; I could not cheer for the Chicago Cell Phones.

You would really stop watching baseball if they started putting advertising on the uniforms? I couldn't care less, I don't think. If it meant a higher payroll and a more competitive team, then I'd be all for it. The product on the field wouldn't change, it would still be the same game. I don't know how a company name on a uniform could ruin your baseball experience. Does that mean you would refuse to watch little league baseball, too?

Nellie_Fox
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
You would really stop watching baseball if they started putting advertising on the uniforms?Yes.
I couldn't care less, I don't think. If it meant a higher payroll and a more competitive team, then I'd be all for it.Since all the teams would be doing it, it wouldn't change the competitive nature. In fact, the same teams that are the "big revenue" teams would attract the most revenue for said ads, further imbalancing things.

Little League wouldn't exist without sponsors. MLB does just fine without ads on the uniforms.

Noneck
03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
You would really stop watching baseball if they started putting advertising on the uniforms? I couldn't care less, I don't think. If it meant a higher payroll and a more competitive team, then I'd be all for it. The product on the field wouldn't change, it would still be the same game. I don't know how a company name on a uniform could ruin your baseball experience. Does that mean you would refuse to watch little league baseball, too?

If all teams advertised, yes I would believe all teams payroll would increase, salaries would go up and maybe profits also.

Would it lower lower ticket prices? I doubt it.

Would it make the Sox more competitive? Not if all teams did the same.

Frontman
03-01-2010, 05:21 PM

I don't have a problem per se; if say the sleeve would have a sponsor for the season.

What I would have a problem with is if the uniform would then resemble a NASCAR flame suit. THEN I would have a problem.

IlliniSox05
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
In 1976, there were complaints from fans, amplified by Harry Caray,that there were so many night games in April. Harry Caray said it was because the league expected the White Sox to be playing their home games indoors in Seattle.

This may deserve another thread, but does anyone know why schedules for teams in colder climates aren't front-loaded with road games in warmer climate cities and/or domed stadiums? I'm not saying we should play 26 road games in April, but shouldn't MLB schedulers make a conscious effort to have us play in Anaheim or Seattle in Opening Week, rather than opening at home vs. Cleveland?

Seems like it would help cut down on PPD games. I recall a friday night Sox/Twins game in early April 2007 that was PPD because it was too COLD. And we all remember the one Indians homestand that was moved to Miller Park a few years ago because of heavy snow (I don't recall who they were playing).

Bobby Thigpen
03-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I always try to skip out of work for a day in the spring and try to catch one of these games, but it apparently isn't going to happen this year.:whiner:

Shoeless
03-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I always try to skip out of work for a day in the spring and try to catch one of these games, but it apparently isn't going to happen this year.:whiner:
Bobby Thigpen? I thought you were retired

KenBerryGrab
03-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Day game after night game
A bittersweet treat
Tickets come easy but
the lineupís light

Grandstand voice pitched higher
Thereís a day care in right
where shambolic drunks
make life raucous at night

A vendor trades his suds
for peanuts and red ropes
On this Thursday
he does quite all right

Old guys with scorecards
Moms discreetly nursing
So pleasant the absence
Of random cursing

Lazy ride on the train
No threat of rain

Ranger
03-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes.
Since all the teams would be doing it, it wouldn't change the competitive nature. In fact, the same teams that are the "big revenue" teams would attract the most revenue for said ads, further imbalancing things.

Little League wouldn't exist without sponsors. MLB does just fine without ads on the uniforms.

If all teams advertised, yes I would believe all teams payroll would increase, salaries would go up and maybe profits also.

Would it lower lower ticket prices? I doubt it.

Would it make the Sox more competitive? Not if all teams did the same.

I don't have a problem per se; if say the sleeve would have a sponsor for the season.

What I would have a problem with is if the uniform would then resemble a NASCAR flame suit. THEN I would have a problem.

Fair. But that's a time for individual teams to be creative with how they sell that advertising. Not all teams would charge the same rate or generate the same revenue from doing something like that. Unless, of course, MLB put restrictions on it. I doubt it would happen anytime soon, if ever, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if the Sox were clever enough to is it to their advantage.

Nellie_Fox
03-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Fair. But that's a time for individual teams to be creative with how they sell that advertising. Not all teams would charge the same rate or generate the same revenue from doing something like that. Unless, of course, MLB put restrictions on it. I doubt it would happen anytime soon, if ever, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if the Sox were clever enough to is it to their advantage.The Yankees would charge more, and get it. So would certain other teams. They'd also attract more "high-end" advertisers. Their advantage would just increase. You'd see pretty much the same stratification, with Kansas City benefiting the least, New York, Boston, the Dodgers, etc. benefiting the most, and actually expanding the gap between the richest and poorest teams. My opinion only.

TDog
03-02-2010, 03:59 PM
The Yankees would charge more, and get it. So would certain other teams. They'd also attract more "high-end" advertisers. Their advantage would just increase. You'd see pretty much the same stratification, with Kansas City benefiting the least, New York, Boston, the Dodgers, etc. benefiting the most, and actually expanding the gap between the richest and poorest teams. My opinion only.

The Kansas City Chico's Bail Bonds.

TomBradley72
03-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I do have to say I love April/September weekday games...when you're at the ballpark...there's a higher percentage of "diehards" than other games. I went to game 2 of the 2005 season....almost no one in the park, cold and blustery....Dye and PK go back to back to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th...we win on Uribe's sac fly....it was like a family celebration for the few fans who were there.

I can't blame the WSox if they don't schedule them...but they are a unique experience for th true fan.

kittle42
03-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I can't blame the WSox if they don't schedule them...but they are a unique experience for th true fan.

Ah, yes, the TRUE fan!

Noneck
03-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Fair. But that's a time for individual teams to be creative with how they sell that advertising. Not all teams would charge the same rate or generate the same revenue from doing something like that. Unless, of course, MLB put restrictions on it. I doubt it would happen anytime soon, if ever, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if the Sox were clever enough to is it to their advantage.

I think the owners, players and MLB would reap the rewards. Team wise, the richer would get richer and would increase their advantage competitively over the rest of the clubs.

Ideally this could lower ticket prices but I think the money would never dribble that far down the chain.

DSpivack
03-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I think the owners, players and MLB would reap the rewards. Team wise, the richer would get richer and would increase their advantage competitively over the rest of the clubs.

Ideally this could lower ticket prices but I think the money would never dribble that far down the chain.

In an ideal world, sure, but practically it would just be another source of revenue.

Frontman
03-02-2010, 10:05 PM
In an ideal world, sure, but practically it would just be another source of revenue.

Precisely. Ticket prices did not go down when the park was renamed. They won't go down to this sort of ad revenue.

Baseball, like every other business; is trying to increase profit flow. Can't fault them for trying to think of ways to do so.

ewokpelts
03-02-2010, 10:34 PM
This may deserve another thread, but does anyone know why schedules for teams in colder climates aren't front-loaded with road games in warmer climate cities and/or domed stadiums? I'm not saying we should play 26 road games in April, but shouldn't MLB schedulers make a conscious effort to have us play in Anaheim or Seattle in Opening Week, rather than opening at home vs. Cleveland?

Seems like it would help cut down on PPD games. I recall a friday night Sox/Twins game in early April 2007 that was PPD because it was too COLD. And we all remember the one Indians homestand that was moved to Miller Park a few years ago because of heavy snow (I don't recall who they were playing).
i doubt the angels want to be on the road all summer. same goes for the rays, mariners, dodgers, brewers, ect....

Noneck
03-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Precisely. Ticket prices did not go down when the park was renamed. They won't go down to this sort of ad revenue.

Baseball, like every other business; is trying to increase profit flow. Can't fault them for trying to think of ways to do so.

The point of this discussion was the thought that the Sox wearing nascar uniforms would give the revenue needed to be more competitive. But in reality it would ruin the look of the game for the fans and only make the players and owners richer. Fans lose, everyone else wins.

Nellie_Fox
03-03-2010, 12:19 AM
The point of this discussion was the thought that the Sox wearing nascar uniforms would give the revenue needed to be more competitive. But in reality it would ruin the look of the game for the fans and only make the players and owners richer. Fans lose, everyone else wins.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2006/12/10/o8IRIwCI.jpg

Noneck
03-03-2010, 12:21 AM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2006/12/10/o8IRIwCI.jpg

Oh so very attractive.

Frontman
03-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Actually, the original point to the discussion was the fact that "real" baseball fans have nothing to do on a weekday afternoon and will be at games; but its grown from there.

gbacci
03-03-2010, 12:30 PM

My rep told me that dllrbll7 is right. The Sox get hammered on attendance at weekday day games, so they said the heck with the MLBPA's request for day games on get-a-way days and made them night games to boost attendance. I like this since I hate weekday day games as a season ticket holder (impossible to find someone to take off from work to go to a game and they always seem to fall on days when I have unexpected brush fires to put out at the office).

It has driven me crazy the past few years that so many games in April/May were during the weekdays - this trend seems to have started over the last decade, I certainly don't remember it before that, at least throughout the 90s. I understand the weather concerns, but seriously, those weekday games have poor attendance, can't be watched on TV (sure you can TiVo, but you probably know the score by then) and just dampen my excitement for baseball in April.

Gammons Peter
03-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Maybe this has been addressed in another thread but I am shocked that there is not a single afternoon weekday game scheduled at The Cell until June (not counting Opening Day)

Those games early in the year mean so much to older Sox fans who can't afford the night games.

It also means less Nancy :(

What gives????

Since when do night games cost more than day games?

SephClone89
03-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Since when do night games cost more than day games?

Day games can often be scalped for cheaper.

longshot7
03-03-2010, 02:45 PM

REAL Sox fans have jobs and can't go to the park during the day. That is why. I hope they get rid of all weekday day games so people can actually go.

FYI.

ewokpelts
03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
REAL Sox fans have jobs and can't go to the park during the day. That is why. I hope they get rid of all weekday day games so people can actually go.

FYI.there's something fun about going to a weekday day game in summer.

as a night shift worker, i especially enjoy day games, but even when i was a day shifter, it was cool to leave work early for some sox action.

sides, the summer day games dont draw much worse than summer weeknight games. 28,000 plus were at the buehrle perfect game.

SephClone89
03-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Do you think the day games will draw better than usual this summer, with so few of them? I nabbed tickets for friends and I for June 10th against the Tigers.

ewokpelts
03-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Do you think the day games will draw better than usual this summer, with so few of them? I nabbed tickets for friends and I for June 10th against the Tigers.not really, as june 10th is oddly a prime game(price-wise), yet the atlanta series, which is later in the month and when more kids are out of school, is a regular series.

Walker29
03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
semi-off topic but what is with the 1:05 start on 5/22 at home vs. the Marlins...won't that interfere with the Fox broadcast window? Don't the Sox normally play a night game if they aren't the 3:00 Fox Game...schedule says its on CSN...and it appears the Sox are playing @ Oakland again this year where there will be NO TV... rediculous.

ewokpelts
03-16-2010, 02:15 PM
semi-off topic but what is with the 1:05 start on 5/22 at home vs. the Marlins...won't that interfere with the Fox broadcast window? Don't the Sox normally play a night game if they aren't the 3:00 Fox Game...schedule says its on CSN...and it appears the Sox are playing @ Oakland again this year where there will be NO TV... rediculous.it's a 6:05 game on my schedule.

Walker29
03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
It's 1:05pm on the White Sox website...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=5&y=2010

Jerko
03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
That's one of my games. I'll see what my ticket says when I get home.

ewokpelts
03-16-2010, 04:23 PM
It's 1:05pm on the White Sox website...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=5&y=2010
looked it up. fox has games at 6:o5 that night. cubs play rangers in prime time.

The very special prime time windows are Saturday May 22 and Saturday June 26, and they are two of MLB on FOX’s four interleague dates this season. The match-ups on both dates are compelling, and regional coverage begins at 7:00 PM ET/4:00 PM PT. May 22 features a four game slate: the defending World Champion New York Yankees battle the cross-town rival New York Mets, the Boston Red Sox travel to Philadelphia to take on the defending NL Champion Phillies, the Chicago Cubs visit the Texas Rangers and the Detroit Tigers head west to take on the defending NL West Champion Los Angeles Dodgers. Then on June 26, one of the game’s most storied rivalries resumes as the Dodgers host the Yankees for the first time at Dodger Stadium since 2004, the Red Sox travel to San Francisco to face the Giants and the battle for Windy City bragging rights ensues on the South Side as the White Sox host the Cubs.

Jerko
03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
My ticket says 1:05 fyi

kevingrt
03-16-2010, 09:33 PM

FYI.

When did you get to decide that all real Sox fans have day jobs?

TheCommander
03-16-2010, 10:33 PM

FYI.

When did you get to decide that all real Sox fans have day jobs?

I guess once someone retires they are no longer REAL Sox fans either. And those who work 3 week rotations(days, nights, midnights) are only REAL fans 1/3 of the time. :rolleyes:

kitekrazy
03-19-2010, 10:08 AM

Imagine how hard it would be for a hitter to see the ball coming off the mound.

kitekrazy
03-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I guess once someone retires they are no longer REAL Sox fans either. And those who work 3 week rotations(days, nights, midnights) are only REAL fans 1/3 of the time. :rolleyes:

I guess the word "traditional" would be more fitting than "real". I've seen a lot of forums where people have a bizarre definition of "real".

SephClone89
05-31-2010, 10:20 AM
As an update, I'm still kind of bummed about this. I look forward to weekday games on the road, as there is definitely something to like about day baseball (Sunday matinees aren't quite the same) I also enjoy the fact that MLBN has been carrying a few day games a week, as well.

For what it's worth I believe I'm going to both day games this month. So I guess that'll be 2/3rds of them...so bizarre.

For the Braves game on June 24th I think I'm going to go solo. Just bring a scorecard and a radio and relax in upper deck. That sounds amazingly relaxing to me.

soltrain21
05-31-2010, 10:27 AM

FYI.

I'll let my brother know he isn't a real Sox fan since he gets off at noon everyday.

Thank you, defender of Sox fandom.

SephClone89
05-31-2010, 11:01 AM
I'll let my brother know he isn't a real Sox fan since he gets off at noon everyday.

Thank you, defender of Sox fandom.

I also find it hilarious that his post implies that if someone is ever unemployed, his fandom is automatically revoked.

kufram
05-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Correct.

I live in England and I still can't understand Carlsberg playing AIG for a big game. But seriously it is a big problem for people because some teams, Man Utd., for example come up with new jerseys endlessly. It is a cynical money raising action. A lot of parents who really can't afford it are under constant pressure to buy the kids this weeks strip. Once those sponsors get their name on the uniform they carry a lot more influence and it cheapens the mlb brand. There's plenty of room off the field for promotion.