PDA

View Full Version : Thome Gives Alexi Casilla a Rolex for #25

Brian26
02-27-2010, 04:05 PM
This was posted by Pat Neshek on his website forum. I'll put the text here since you need to have an account over there to log in and read the messages:

I thought you guys would like this. Casilla had Thome's number and Thome wanted to wear it this year. Casilla gave it up and was rewarded with a brand new Rolex watch that Thome bought the other day. I asked Baker if he would give his # up for the watch and he said he would out of respect for a hall of famer. I told him instead of the rolex I would ask for about 100 new Neshek jerseys with my new number so I can replace them to all my family members and friends and after that I would ask for 100 Signed Jim Thome uniforms/bats with every team he played on (smiley).

And then someone replied:

Thats a cool story Pat. Must be an old White Sox thing because when Buehrle threw the perfect game he bought everyone on the team rolex watches.

Marqhead
02-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Number changing stories are always interesting. I wonder what's the most anyone has ever paid to get their number back?

thomas35forever
02-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Good move by Jim. That is all.

jamokes
02-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I wonder if any players said no to a request like this.

asindc
02-28-2010, 02:52 PM

I would not be surprised if some have, but for obvious reasons the public will not hear about it.

DumpJerry
02-28-2010, 02:56 PM
It is obvious Casilla is not a Borass client.

Soxfanspcu11
02-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Even if they did, my guess would be that they would be forced to give it up.

If a future HOFer asks for your # and you refuse to give it up and your just some average player on the team, I doubt your going to get the benefit of the argument.

TDog
02-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Even if they did, my guess would be that they would be forced to give it up.

If a future HOFer asks for your # and you refuse to give it up and your just some average player on the team, I doubt your going to get the benefit of the argument.

Conversely, if you're a future Hall of Famer who bullies an average player into giving up his number, you come off as a bit of a jerk. I don't remember if another White Sox player had No. 27 when Carlton Fisk came to Chicago, but he didn't take it with him when he changed teams. Taking No, 72 worked out for Fisk, and no one thinks less of him because he has two different uniform numbers retired.

october23sp
02-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Conversely, if you're a future Hall of Famer who bullies an average player into giving up his number, you come off as a bit of a jerk. I don't remember if another White Sox player had No. 27 when Carlton Fisk came to Chicago, but he didn't take it with him when he changed teams. Taking No, 72 worked out for Fisk, and no one thinks less of him because he has two different uniform numbers retired.
I think more of him different numbers retired on two different teams is quite the achivement. Also, when I play for the Sox I plan on wearing 27.

Patrick134
02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Couldn't he have just waited for Casilla to be sent down to AAA again ?

DumpJerry
02-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Fisk did not want to take 27 to Chicago with him because he was not happy with the Red Sox. 72 was not only the inverse of 27, but it is the year he won RoY. IIRC, one of his kids was born in '72 as well.

doublem23
02-28-2010, 11:03 PM

:rolling:

GoGoCrede
02-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Really lovely move by both men. I'd sure like to be Thome's friend around Christmastime!

:rolling:

TDog
03-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Fisk did not want to take 27 to Chicago with him because he was not happy with the Red Sox. 72 was not only the inverse of 27, but it is the year he won RoY. IIRC, one of his kids was born in '72 as well.

That was the explanation at the time, and it made for a cute story, Fisk turning his number and career around by changing his Sox. (It seems every team Fisk played for treated him poorly, by the way.) But Ken Kravec was wearing No. 27 when Fisk signed with the White Sox. Kravec was traded at the end of spring training, but Fisk had already announced why he was wearing 72. No. 27 wasn't worn again until Lynn McGlothen came over to the White Sox from the Cubs after the mid-season strike.

If No 27 had been available when Fisk signed, Fisk probably would have worn it with the White Sox. I think Fisk demonstrated some class by not taking Kravec's number.

Nellie_Fox
03-01-2010, 02:44 AM
(It seems every team Fisk played for treated him poorly, by the way.)It is my understanding that the same traits that made him such a "gamer" are traits that make him very hard to get along with.

Twins_Morneau
03-01-2010, 04:05 AM

What I was thinking too.:D:

asindc
03-01-2010, 09:17 AM
It is my understanding that the same traits that made him such a "gamer" are traits that make him very hard to get along with.

That is my understanding as well.

Foulke You
03-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Ozzie Guillen said "no" to Omar Vizquel on taking #13 before his contract with the Sox was even finalized.:tongue:

I remember in recent years, Aaron Rowand initially didn't want to give up his #44 for Billy Koch back in 2003. Koch worked on him during Spring Training and eventually got it from Aaron for a new computer and something else if memory serves. Rowand then took his familiar #33.