PDA

View Full Version : Dye is 'shocked' he's unemployed

spawn
02-27-2010, 08:12 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2073139,CST-SPT-sox27.article

HomeFish
02-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Jermaine Dye on the Sox was one of the most underrated players in the league, both in terms of stats and in terms of sportsmanship. All he did was put up solid numbers every year (until July 2009) and didn't showboat, run his mouth, or otherwise seek attention.

slavko
02-27-2010, 08:41 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2073139,CST-SPT-sox27.article

He should have taken the $3M. Chances of him approaching his career numbers are in the rear view mirror and disappearing fast, based on what he calls 6 or 7 weeks in 2009. It comes to all of us, JD, one of my favorite recent Sox. I haven't forgotten what you did for us.

dickallen15
02-27-2010, 08:46 AM
He should have taken the $3M. Chances of him approaching his career numbers are in the rear view mirror and disappearing fast, based on what he calls 6 or 7 weeks in 2009. It comes to all of us, JD, one of my favorite recent Sox. I haven't forgotten what you did for us.

Its not about the money. Did he mention Toronto offered him an opportunity to play every day, but the money was "ridiculous"

What JD needs to realize is if teams are only offering him 250 AB, if he shows them he's the hitter he was the first half of the season, he's going to get a lot more than that. If he still is as good as he believes he is, and he probably is offensively, he's going to play.

I also find it funny Frank blamed the media for getting the story wrong when he told them JD was thinking about retiring.

goon
02-27-2010, 09:31 AM
What the ****?! Can we just sign Dye already?

DirtySox
02-27-2010, 09:34 AM
What the ****?! Can we just sign Dye already?

I want Dye back if he will accept staying the hell out of the OF.

goon
02-27-2010, 09:40 AM

I think between DH/RF maybe even some LF, he wouldn't hurt this team defensively.

DirtySox
02-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I think between DH/RF maybe even some LF, he wouldn't hurt this team defensively.

I'd rather keep one of, if not the worst RF in MLB out of the field as much as possible. It's one of the many reasons he isn't signed.

goon
02-27-2010, 09:50 AM
I'd rather keep one of, if not the worst RF in MLB out of the field as much as possible. It's one of the many reasons he isn't signed.

No, he's probably the worst. Don't care though. There's an open slot on this roster, Dye would fill it nicely.

soltrain21
02-27-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm not shocked. He had pretty decent offers after the ****-show year he put together last year and turned them down. Not many teams wanted his service and he shooed those teams away. What does he expect?

The Cubs come to mind.

goon
02-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm not shocked. He had pretty decent offers after the ****-show year he put together last year and turned them down. Not many teams wanted his service and he shooed those teams away. What does he expect?

The Cubs come to mind.

I wouldn't want to play for the Cubs either, can't blame him for turning them down. He feels like he's entitled to a full season of AB's AND a solid contract, unfortunately for him, he's not going to get both.

He was bad in August and September. I don't think he should be blackballed as putting up a ****-show for putting up bad numbers for 2 months.

dickallen15
02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't want to play for the Cubs either, can't blame him for turning them down. He feels like he's entitled to a full season of AB's AND a solid contract, unfortunately for him, he's not going to get both.

He was bad in August and September. I don't think he should be blackballed as putting up a ****-show for putting up bad numbers for 2 months.

I don't know about being blackballed. $3 million for 6 months to play a game is a job a lot of people would be thrilled to have.

soltrain21
02-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Well, if he is going to be so selective about it then maybe he shouldn't be shocked that he doesn't have a job.

Would you turn down jobs when you are unemployed and then complain about not being able to find a job? Dye needs to realize he isn't an all star anymore with teams begging for his services.

tstrike2000
02-27-2010, 10:30 AM

It doesn't sound like he'll change his mind and accept the DH role. He blames his problems last year on the Sox not playing him consistently enough, which is baloney, but he's gonna have to settle for a backup role somewhere if he wants to play.

goon
02-27-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't know about being blackballed. $3 million for 6 months to play a game is a job a lot of people would be thrilled to have.

It's more complicated than just playing a game for 6 months. Being a baseball player isn't an ordinary job so the salaries reflect that.

goon
02-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Well, if he is going to be so selective about it then maybe he shouldn't be shocked that he doesn't have a job.

Would you turn down jobs when you are unemployed and then complain about not being able to find a job? Dye needs to realize he isn't an all star anymore with teams begging for his services.

He isn't an all-star because he wasn't last year? Or because he's 36 and he'll never put up great numbers again?

When you put up the type of numbers Dye has over the past 5 years I think it's fair to assume you've earned a slight amount of decision-making when it comes to signing with a team. It's not like this is a case where teams are coming out and throwing offers at him, he's not being "so selective". I think a lot of players wouldn't want to play for the Cubs, I don't fault him for declining to play for them.

Should he have signed with Angels if they were offering limited AB's? Or with Toronto even though the contract being offered was lower than what he anticipated? He should have. It seems like everyone is making a case that the last 2 months of 2009 is exactly what you're going to get out of Dye, that's pretty narrow-minded. In fact, I would use that leverage to sign him to contract that carried incentives.

thedudeabides
02-27-2010, 10:52 AM

This is the problem. He's about useless in the outfield, yet he's demanding he play the field, and he wants to play every day, on a contender, for a good salary.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have this type of bargaining power.

He didn't sell himself well by saying he needs at bats everyday, while playing the field. If he would except a DH/part time RF/LF role, he probably would be signed.

He seems unwilling to budge. I feel bad for him because he still believes in his abilities, but he needs to accept the market.

I think his best bet now is to wait out for an injury, or a team that discovers a need.

Any way it shakes out, best of luck to him. I loved him as a White Sox player.

goon
02-27-2010, 11:02 AM
This is the problem. He's about useless in the outfield, yet he's demanding he play the field, and he wants to play every day, on a contender, for a good salary.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have this type of bargaining power.

He didn't sell himself well by saying he needs at bats everyday, while playing the field. If he would except a DH/part time RF/LF role, he probably would be signed.

Actually he says he would take a DH/OF role.

Lip Man 1
02-27-2010, 11:22 AM
JD put himself in this position by having a lousy second half of the year in 2009 (on top of a lousy half season in 2007 before his contract was renewed) and because his requirements seem to be out of line in today's market and given his age.

There would be a position for him if he'd be willing to accept a reduced role...he isn't...so he sits.

I appreciate all he did for the Sox but he's brought this on himself.

Lip

manders_01
02-27-2010, 11:46 AM

JD put himself in this position by having a lousy second half of the year in 2009 (on top of a lousy half season in 2007 before his contract was renewed) and because his requirements seem to be out of line in today's market and given his age.

There would be a position for him if he'd be willing to accept a reduced role...he isn't...so he sits.

Lip

Agreed on both counts. Sounds like he could have regular playing time in Toronto but because it wasn't enough money and they may not be in playoff contention, he choose not to. That sounds like a sense of entitlement to me which is IMO one of the most annoying traits a person can have. Baseball, like other professional sports, is continuing to prove yourself. Sure, there have been players who are able to continue based on their reputation but typically, that dries up and soon enough, if they want to keep playing, they play on reduce salaries, reduce playing time, etc. It's hard for me not to believe that this is just his ego preventing him from playing.

sullythered
02-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I would LOVE to take JD back as a full time DH. LOVE.

munchman33
02-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Lip

I couldn't agree more. It pains me to see it happen, but Jermaine's got a really skewed sense on the reality of the situation. He's not under contract, nobody owes him anything.

jamokes
02-27-2010, 12:13 PM
This is all about money and playing time. Teams today are watching their bucks more so than ever.

#1swisher
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
My advice to JD, don't give any more interviews unless you highlight your off season training regimen ala Andruw Jones.

Good Luck #23, I know you'll land with a team that appreciates $$you for the talent that you are $$ and will continue to be.$$

It's Dankerific
02-27-2010, 01:44 PM
I agree with JD. with his pedigree and his recent results, he shouldnt be out there begging for a decent job. His was only bad for what, 2 months?

russ99
02-27-2010, 02:01 PM
I agree with JD. with his pedigree and his recent results, he shouldnt be out there begging for a decent job. His was only bad for what, 2 months?

That's the problem, teams don't know if those months (3 by my count) are just a bad slump or actual decline at his age.

Add that to his demand of playing the outfield and needing full time work to hit well while not budging on salary and you can understand why teams won't take a risk.

The dude's gotta swallow his pride let go his demands and take a job. If he really is better than what he showed the second half of last year, then he'll be playing. He could take a 1 year deal in the hopes of getting a better contract next year if he shows that last year was a fluke.

LITTLE NELL
02-27-2010, 02:24 PM
I may be wrong but with all the scouting in MLB the word has to be out to all the teams that Dye can't either catch up with the fastball or has trouble with off speed pitches, something is going on and thats all I can think of. We all know that he has lost a few steps in RF but these scouts saw something in the 2nd half last year that they just don't like, hence no substantial offers.

Lip Man 1
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Dank:

I would contend it's more than a three month slump which "happened" to take place with talk about his contract expiring.

In 2007 he was having a poor season when "surprise" his expiring contract was an issue. As soon as the Sox renewed him, "suddenly" he got better at the plate.

I'm not trying to diss him JD's a class guy and was a good player but I don't think it's a coincidence that his two worst years came when he was upset, concerned, worrying (use whatever word you choose) on his contract situation. Then he compounded it with some cryptic comments after the Sox got Rios.

He needed to play through it like Konerko did in 2005.

He did a lot with the Sox, but in major league baseball it's "what have you done for the organization lately." In 2009 JD was awful in the second half. That's reality.

Lip

thedudeabides
02-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Actually he says he would take a DH/OF role.

He's saying that now, but earlier in the offseason he said he wouldn't be a DH, and he needed to play daily in order to keep his stroke. He's changed his tune a bit.

Slappy
02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Like others have noted, JD performed outstandingly during his time here and didn't really make a peep about it. 3 million bucks is a lot of money to turn down though, even if it is with the Cubs.

If you take away JD's bad slump last year, when you think about it, is Johnny Damon worth 5 million more than JD's services? Isn't their defense about the same or am I overrating JDs defense at his age? He still has plenty of pop left in his bat, I think we can all agree on that.

I wonder what the heck Toronto offered him to be called 'ridiculous.'

JB98
02-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Dye says he doesn't have anything to prove. I'm not sure I understand that attitude. :scratch: In pro sports, you have to prove yourself over and over again, or else you end up on the scrap heap. That's the nature of the business.

The last two years, Dye has struggled in the second halves of seasons. Last year, he fell completely off the map down the stretch. His excuse about lack of playing time holds no water. A lot of people have wondered whether Dye is done, including me.

Obviously, quite a few in the baseball world wonder whether Dye is done as well. That's why nobody is willing to give him a starting job or the money he seeks. If he still wants to play baseball, he needs to take what he can get, get in camp somewhere and prove that he can still do it.

Yes, JD, you do have some things to prove.

goon
02-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Dank:
In 2007 he was having a poor season when "surprise" his expiring contract was an issue. As soon as the Sox renewed him, "suddenly" he got better at the plate.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2007.shtml

JD wasn't the only player on the Sox that struggled in 2007. I doubt his contract had anything to do with it.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-28-2010, 12:11 AM
If you take away JD's bad slump last year, when you think about it, is Johnny Damon worth 5 million more than JD's services? Isn't their defense about the same or am I overrating JDs defense at his age? He still has plenty of pop left in his bat, I think we can all agree on that.

I wouldn't say 5 mil more, but Damon is probably worth a bit more than Dye.

The only things Dye has on Damon are power and arm. I'd say Damon is better than Dye at consistency, hitting for average, fielding, and speed. I know Damon's not a good fielder, but I think Dye has actually gotten worse than Damon the last year or two.

I'd just sigh and shake my head if it turned out he was offered anything more than 1Y/3.5M from Toronto. For someone with such class while here, he seems to have developed an entitlement complex this offseason.

Lip Man 1
02-28-2010, 01:25 AM
Goon:

As sensitive as he apparently is when his deal is on the line (or when the Sox get another outfielder) I think it had EVERYTHING to do with it.

Lip

goon
02-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Goon:

As sensitive as he apparently is when his deal is on the line (or when the Sox get another outfielder) I think it had EVERYTHING to do with it.

Lip

Yeah, you're correct. It may have had something to do with it, but how do you explain Pierzynski's bad season? Or Garland's? Iguchi? etc. Dye was re-signed on August 18th and before that he was tearing the cover off the ball in that month.

I think with all the injuries that took place that season to Podsednik, Contreras, Crede and the underwhelming performances of 75% of the team, it was a collectively-bad effort on the hands of everyone. We are discussing a season in which Darin Erstad had 345 Plate Appearances.

It's just circumstantial. The contract could have played a role in his poor performance, but using a situation which arose from that season to prove that point can be questioned.

soltrain21
02-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Like others have noted, JD performed outstandingly during his time here and didn't really make a peep about it. 3 million bucks is a lot of money to turn down though, even if it is with the Cubs.

But...you can't do that.

TomBradley72
02-28-2010, 12:17 PM
He's unemployed by choice. ONLY with a contender, ONLY as a full time starter...his choice. If he wants to prove he still "has it" sign on with a team....play your way into a starting role, and prove you have the flixibility to play OF/1B/DH. No one owes you anything.

russ99
02-28-2010, 12:49 PM
He's unemployed by choice. ONLY with a contender, ONLY as a full time starter...his choice. If he wants to prove he still "has it" sign on with a team....play your way into a starting role, and prove you have the flixibility to play OF/1B/DH. No one owes you anything.

I hate to draw the parallel, but this sounds too much like when Sosa took a year off when teams "disrespected" him with their offers.

Then he was fat and out of shape a year later and soon out of the league. Granted, there may have been other issues with Sosa, such as allegedly weaning himself off banned substances...

I hope the same thing doesn't happen to JD. IMO he still has a few years of good baseball in him.

It's Dankerific
02-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Damon signed what, a week ago? you guys weren't saying all these crappy things about him at the time.

Soxfanspcu11
02-28-2010, 02:22 PM
2 Things;

1. I don't know why everyone is getting down on him defensively. :scratch: Yes he has slowed down a bit but I have seen him make some of the most incredible plays with his glove. If he gets a good read on the ball (which he seemed to do most of the time), he made good plays.

2. The cubs are absolute idiots. They really really missed out on not picking up Dye. What are his career numbers in the urinal?? I don't have the exact stats but he used to MURDER the ball in that place. But who cares, what do you expect from that organization. And Fukudome? Really?? You want to talk about bad offense, yikes! Did Jim Hendry actually watch him at the plate last year? He looked so lost. Painful to watch but funny.

WhiteSox5187
02-28-2010, 03:46 PM
2 Things;

1. I don't know why everyone is getting down on him defensively. :scratch: Yes he has slowed down a bit but I have seen him make some of the most incredible plays with his glove. If he gets a good read on the ball (which he seemed to do most of the time), he made good plays.

2. The cubs are absolute idiots. They really really missed out on not picking up Dye. What are his career numbers in the urinal?? I don't have the exact stats but he used to MURDER the ball in that place. But who cares, what do you expect from that organization. And Fukudome? Really?? You want to talk about bad offense, yikes! Did Jim Hendry actually watch him at the plate last year? He looked so lost. Painful to watch but funny.

Watching him run in RF was painful last year. He looked like a horse right before it's put down. It was sad to watch.

soltrain21
02-28-2010, 04:17 PM
2 Things;

1. Dye was terrible defensively last year. Terrible.

2. Um, the Cubs offered him a contract. He was the one that turned it down and started making demands about playing everyday and all of that. They signed Nady to the same contract they offered Dye. Dye looks like the "idiot" in that situation. Not the Cubs.

DirtySox
02-28-2010, 04:20 PM
1. Dye was terrible defensively last year. Terrible.

Jermaine has been brutal in RF since at least 2006. I don't know how anyone could argue he's a solid defender.

CLR01
02-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Jermaine has been brutal in RF since at least 2006. I don't know how anyone could argue he's a solid defender.

But he makes diving/jumping catches, who cares if his range is less than 10 feet in any direction.

Randar68
03-01-2010, 09:55 AM

If you were going to make a decision on a player based on 2 or 3 months worth of production alone, Paul Konerko would have been out of baseball 3 or 4 times now!

#1swisher
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Merkins' Blog has a week in review during ST, of quotes from various players.

#7 is a conversation PK had with Dye at the end of last season.

http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/

TheVulture
03-03-2010, 12:36 AM
I have a hard time believing Dye is done as a hitter. His first half numbers were borderline MVP caliber. He was hitting .307 with 18 dingers at the halfway point. One minute he was hitting like a madman, the next he couldn't hit water falling out of a boat. I don't see how in June you could be at the top of your game and in July you're washed up. Just seems like a really bad slump to me.