PDA

View Full Version : Konerko's future with the Sox uncertain.

Danielgosox38
02-26-2010, 07:41 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100226&content_id=8176978&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Interesting article.

doublem23
02-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't think this is really a surprise to anyone who has been paying attention to the Sox since 2007.

Brian26
02-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Interesting article.

In the sense that it provides absolutely no new information on something we're all aware of?

Or in the sense that the writer could have written it with his eyes closed?

cws05champ
02-26-2010, 07:58 PM
With the way the market has been the last two years the Sox obviously need to wait it out and not offer any extension. I think the development of Viciedo and Morel will go a long way to decide what they do at 1B long term. Maybe they trade for a guy like Chris Davis from Texas after this season.

Danielgosox38
02-26-2010, 07:59 PM
In the sense that it provides absolutely no new information on something we're all aware of?

Or in the sense that the writer could have written it with his eyes closed?

I thought it was interesting what he said. Agree to disagree then.

Brian26
02-26-2010, 08:06 PM
I thought it was interesting what he said. Agree to disagree then.

Yeah, my point is that it's pretty common sense. If Konerko smacks 40 HR with 110 batted in this season, the Sox will bring him back. If he takes a dive like Dye, he's gone. If he has a 25/80 year, he might come back in a reduced role or to DH.

Nothing's going to be decided until after the season because of his age. It's not rocket science.

jamokes
02-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Plus Paulie has to decide if he is willing to take a cut in pay. I think this is JD's problem right now.

No one wants to sign him at his price.

StillMissOzzie
02-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Plus Paulie has to decide if he is willing to take a cut in pay. I think this is JD's problem right now.

No one wants to sign him at his price.

JD jabbered too much about still wanting to play RF as a starter instead of on a platoon basis, and instead of a DH job. I think he talked his way out of a few spots.

But I agree, PK won't get another 5 year deal and it also depends on whether or not he wants to continue as 1B or just go to a DH role himself.

SMO
:gulp:

fram40
02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
I would hate to see PK in another uniform more than any player that has ever played for the White Sox - including Big Frank. I know it makes no sense - but that's how I feel.

His World Series grand slam is the greatest single event in my White Sox fandom - hands down. And #2 is probably his 9th inning double in game 5 of the ALCS to clinch the series.

I have a serious mancrush on PK.

MetroPD
02-28-2010, 12:11 AM
I would hate to see PK in another uniform more than any player that has ever played for the White Sox - including Big Frank. I know it makes no sense - but that's how I feel.

His World Series grand slam is the greatest single event in my White Sox fandom - hands down. And #2 is probably his 9th inning double in game 5 of the ALCS to clinch the series.

I agree with this 100% he was absolutely amazing in the playoffs that entire year.

MarySwiss
02-28-2010, 12:53 AM

I agree with this 100% he was absolutely amazing in the playoffs that entire year.

Yep. There are some players who were the face of the franchise and who should have finished out their careers in a Sox uni. Nellie and Frank were two, and there are no doubt others. But Paulie is one, IMO.

DonnieDarko
02-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Well, he's certainly high up on the list of Sox records, isn't he? I hope he finishes his career here, but I think that I wouldn't be devastated if Konerko finished his career somewhere else.

I DO hope that he gets his number retired. He's spent...man, has it been twelve seasons already? His longevity and records with the team should at least get him some consideration for that, I think. I never remember hating the guy.

Only other player this past 15 years for me that can even be considered for that distinction, is Buerhle.

Nellie_Fox
02-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Yep. There are some players who were the face of the franchise and who should have finished out their careers in a Sox uni. Nellie and Frank were two...You're right, and I've always felt this way, but I've learned to accept that it's a business. Neither Frank nor Nellie finished their careers in a Sox uniform, and it always bothered me to see them in other uniforms. Accept the fact that Paulie probably won't either, unless he chooses to retire, which is unlikely.

wilburaga
02-28-2010, 09:34 AM
You're right, and I've always felt this way, but I've learned to accept that it's a business. Neither Frank nor Nellie finished their careers in a Sox uniform, and it always bothered me to see them in other uniforms. Accept the fact that Paulie probably won't either, unless he chooses to retire, which is unlikely.

It was awful when Nellie was traded, but seeing the tobacco stains he left on the Astroturf was priceless.

W

A. Cavatica
02-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Konerko is an average first baseman who should only be back at half his current salary. He's had longevity, and I'm glad he was hot during the 2005 playoff run, but he's one of the most expendable players on this roster.

NoNeckEra
03-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Konerko is an average first baseman who should only be back at half his current salary. He's had longevity, and I'm glad he was hot during the 2005 playoff run, but he's one of the most expendable players on this roster.
Not even half.
The 2011 season will be 6 years removed from his remarkable feats.
Get over him, folks.

Brian26
03-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Konerko is an average first baseman who should only be back at half his current salary.

Not even half.
The 2011 season will be 6 years removed from his remarkable feats.
Get over him, folks.

Just to be fair, you also have to admit there has been a market adjustment since November 2005.

doublem23
03-02-2010, 11:19 PM

I can't wait to watch Alexei bounce balls into the dugout while our next 1B tries vainly to glove them.

Konerko may no longer have a big bat at a big bat position, but the guy is a Gold Glover-caliber 1B. We've all just been spoiled by his play the past 10 years.

A. Cavatica
03-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I can't wait to watch Alexei bounce balls into the dugout while our next 1B tries vainly to glove them.

Konerko may no longer have a big bat at a big bat position, but the guy is a Gold Glover-caliber 1B. We've all just been spoiled by his play the past 10 years.

Let's get real. He's competent defensively, but he's not Gold Glove caliber, and defense is a very minor benefit for a first baseman. Why do you think Mike Squires couldn't win a starting job?

guillen4life13
03-03-2010, 09:44 PM

Paulie is good, but there are others who can fill the void. It's getting to be the time to replace him. In that sense, I'm a little disappointed that both Chris Carter and Brandon Allen were traded, though getting TCQ back was worthwhile.

HomeFish
03-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Power hitting first basemen are are plentiful. Konerko is one of the most replaceable guys on the roster.

He'll be fondly remembered but his time is up.

doublem23
03-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Let's get real. He's competent defensively, but he's not Gold Glove caliber, and defense is a very minor benefit for a first baseman. Why do you think Mike Squires couldn't win a starting job?

No he is as good as there is in the American League at digging balls out of the dirt. I agree that is no reason to keep a 1B, but let's at least give the guy his due. He is an excellent defender.

jabrch
03-04-2010, 12:12 AM
I like PK more than Frater does - but when he eventually walks, I won't shed a tear. He's replaceable.

That said, if he wants to finish his career out with the Sox at a reasonable market price for his production, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-04-2010, 01:50 AM
I think depending how Viciedo transitions this year at 1B depends possibly on what happens to Konerko. Not saying it is the/a major factor but I bet it's in the back of KW's mind.

HomeFish
03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
One thing I dislike about WSI is how good players who are past their prime are hated on. Everyone blabbed about how Konerko, Contreras, etc. are TERRIBLE and DISGUSTING and should be gotten rid of ASAP.

I'm OK with hating bad players who continue to be bad, like The Choice, LTP, or even Joe Crede. But guys like Konerko, Dye, and Contreras? Let's not blame them for the fact that they're aging. We can be objective about it ("Konerko is no longer valuable enough to re-sign") without talking **** about them. They deserve to be let go with dignity, not with vitriol.

asindc
03-04-2010, 11:40 AM
One thing I dislike about WSI is how good players who are past their prime are hated on. Everyone blabbed about how Konerko, Contreras, etc. are TERRIBLE and DISGUSTING and should be gotten rid of ASAP.

I'm OK with hating bad players who continue to be bad, like The Choice, LTP, or even Joe Crede. But guys like Konerko, Dye, and Contreras? Let's not blame them for the fact that they're aging. We can be objective about it ("Konerko is no longer valuable enough to re-sign") without talking **** about them. They deserve to be let go with dignity, not with vitriol.

Ok, who are you and what have you done with Homefish?

Lip Man 1
03-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Homefish:

Because most White Sox fans value winning over sentimentality. (And well they should...)

That's not to say you don't respect their accomplishments or value them forever as a member of the White Sox family, but time marches on for all men and ballplayers.

Guys like Appling, Aparicio, Fox, Pierce, Peters, Horlen, Wood, Melton, Thomas, McDowell, Baines all left one way or another. That's reality.

Lip