02-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Ken Rosenthal chimes in.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/rosenthal-realignment-proposal-022510

SephClone89
02-26-2010, 05:17 PM
This is horrific.

rdwj
02-26-2010, 05:21 PM
I like how all the advantages an disadvantages in the modest realignment center around the Red Sox and Yankees.

Domeshot17
02-26-2010, 05:23 PM
White Sox in the NL? You know Ozzie is on board :redneck (half tealed because I don't know if thats a joke or not)

DSpivack
02-26-2010, 05:23 PM
All of them terrible ideas.

guillen4life13
02-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I would not like the historical integrity of the leagues to be broken. I think it would be good to have 4 divisions per league instead of 3, with no wildcard, and two new teams are introduced. Milwaukee comes back to the AL.

AL North
Minnesota Twins
Boston Red Sox
Toronto Blue Jays
Milwaukee Brewers

AL East:
New York Yankees
Baltimore Orioles
Tampa Bay Rays
Detroit Tigers

AL Central:
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Indians
Kansas City Royals
Texas Rangers

AL West:
Los Angeles Angels
Seattle Mariners
Oakland Athletics
Portland Team X

NL North:
New York Mets
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Cincinnati Reds

NL East:
New Jersey Team X1
Atlanta Braves
Philadelphia Phillies
Florida Marlins

NL Central:
Houston Astros
Colorado Rockies
St. Louis Cardinals
Chicago Cubs

NL West:
LA Dodgers
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Arizona Diamondbacks

This setup would help with the parity issue. I doubt New York would allow another team to enter its market.

JohnTucker0814
02-26-2010, 05:37 PM
The easiest thing to do would be to send the Astros to the NL West and the Colorado Rockies to the AL West, that would make 3 divisions of 5 teams in each league. Then you just have to play 1 interleague series each week at a minimum. I don't think it's that big of a deal to play interleague all year round. It would make it more balanced. It's not fair that the AL West only has to beat out 3 teams and the NL Central has to beat 5 teams?

Then you'd schedule it just like football does. You'd play one division in the opposite league, rotation every 3 years. If you played them at home the first year, when you got them back you'd play on the road. Meaning every 6 years you'd get to see every MLB team at your home park. Then you match up against the other divisions based on place. If you finished in 1st place in the AL Central, then you'd play each 1st place team in the other two divisions in the opposite league. Then you'd play 3 games against your rival - the years that you play your same division in the other league are the years you'd have both a home/away with your rival. That makes 24 interleague games. For your own league, you'd play the other divisions each 7 games. You'd play your own division 17 games each.

Interleague - 24
Within' division - 68
Within' league - 70
Total games - 162

Then you'd match up these rivals:

West NL-AL
Astros-Rangers
Padres-Mariners
Dodgers-Angels
Giants-A's
Diamondbacks-Rockies

Central NL-AL
Cubs-Sox
Cardinals-Royals
Brewers-Twins
Reds-Indians
Pirates-Tigers

East NL-AL
Mets-Yankees
Nationals-Orioles
Marlins-Rays
Phillies-Red Sox
Braves-Blue Jays

asindc
02-26-2010, 05:39 PM
There is no reason to put teams that share a market with another in the same league (i.e., Sox and Cubs in NL). Mr. Rosenthal, if you are reading this, NO and HELL NO.

asindc
02-26-2010, 05:45 PM
The easiest thing to do would be to send the Astros to the NL West and the Colorado Rockies to the AL West, that would make 3 divisions of 5 teams in each league. Then you just have to play 1 interleague series each week at a minimum. I don't think it's that big of a deal to play interleague all year round. It would make it more balanced. It's not fair that the AL West only has to beat out 3 teams and the NL Central has to beat 5 teams?

Then you'd schedule it just like football does. You'd play one division in the opposite league, rotation every 3 years. If you played them at home the first year, when you got them back you'd play on the road. Meaning every 6 years you'd get to see every MLB team at your home park. Then you match up against the other divisions based on place. If you finished in 1st place in the AL Central, then you'd play each 1st place team in the other two divisions in the opposite league. Then you'd play 3 games against your rival - the years that you play your same division in the other league are the years you'd have both a home/away with your rival. That makes 24 interleague games. For your own league, you'd play the other divisions each 7 games. You'd play your own division 17 games each.

Interleague - 24
Within' division - 68
Within' league - 70
Total games - 162

Then you'd match up these rivals:

West NL-AL
Astros-Rangers
Padres-Mariners
Dodgers-Angels
Giants-A's
Diamondbacks-Rockies

Central NL-AL
Cubs-Sox
Cardinals-Royals
Brewers-Twins
Reds-Indians
Pirates-Tigers

East NL-AL
Mets-Yankees
Nationals-Orioles
Marlins-Rays
Phillies-Red Sox
Braves-Blue Jays

Rosenthal is attempting to mitigate the financial market advantages that Boston and NYY currently enjoy, which is why his plan sucks. We all know what needs to be done, but MLB management don't have the balls to do it. I like your realignment more than any put forth in the media, but it does not solve the problem that Rosenthal is trying to address.

DumpJerry
02-26-2010, 05:53 PM
When I saw this article on Foxsports I was going to start a thread about here but thought otherwise. This is Rosenthal after all, not someone credible.

This idea so dumb I'm convinced he came up with it after a night of heavy drinking. It makes that much sense.

Boondock Saint
02-26-2010, 06:09 PM
I'd like that minute and a half back, please.

russ99
02-26-2010, 06:13 PM
The easiest thing to do would be to send the Astros to the NL West

That will never happen. They've been approached before. It puts them at a significant disadvantage, as they would then play most of their road games 2 time zones away (i.e. 35-40% of their games start at 9:30pm - no kids can watch) and they lose the gate of traditional rivals in the Cubs, Cardinals and Reds. Also, travel costs would likely double.

The Astros will relocate before moving into a West division. They'd possibly consider going into the AL with the Rangers if a rival NL Central team also relocated with them, but not with West Coast teams.

Soxfanspcu11
02-26-2010, 06:33 PM
That will never happen. They've been approached before. It puts them at a significant disadvantage, as they would then play most of their road games 2 time zones away (i.e. 35-40% of their games start at 9:30pm - no kids can watch) and they lose the gate of traditional rivals in the Cubs, Cardinals and Reds. Also, travel costs would likely double.

The Astros will relocate before moving into a West division. They'd possibly consider going into the AL with the Rangers if a rival NL Central team also relocated with them, but not with West Coast teams.

I agree, I think that would be terrible for Astros fans. I think a lot of people forget what time zone Houston is in.

But I do agree in a sense that something should be done with the AL East. At least the Rays have made it somewhat competitive. Now if only Baltimore could go back to the way things were in the mid-90's, I would have no problem with the current alingment.

Since the fall of Baltimore and the rise of the Rays, there was a period there that was just lame.

cws05champ
02-26-2010, 08:07 PM
I REALLY enjoy this "Advantage":

- The Yankees and Red Sox would play each other fewer times under an unbalanced schedule, increasing the odds that each would reach the postseason — and satisfying MLB’s television partners, including FOX.

Do we really need to INCREASE the odds the Yankees and Red Sox making the playoffs? What a Dumb ass!!

TheOldRoman
02-26-2010, 08:22 PM

The Astros will relocate before moving into a West division. They'd possibly consider going into the AL with the Rangers if a rival NL Central team also relocated with them, but not with West Coast teams.The only team getting screwed in the current alignment is the Rangers. As you mentioned above about the Astros hypothetical, they have 27 games a year starting at 9-9:30 central time. As much as I hate when the Sox are on the west coast (and not just because they have done poorly the last decade) and staying up late to watch games, having nine series of that would be unbearable. Somebody needs to throw the Rangers a bone.

russ99
02-26-2010, 08:29 PM
The only team getting screwed in the current alignment is the Rangers. As you mentioned above about the Astros hypothetical, they have 27 games a year starting at 9-9:30 central time. As much as I hate when the Sox are on the west coast (and not just because they have done poorly the last decade) and staying up late to watch games, having nine series of that would be unbearable. Somebody needs to throw the Rangers a bone.

Absolutely agree, especially considering the heat they have to play in in Arlington in the summertime.

4 divisions would probably work best, but I don't see MLB giving up the wild card or adding playoff spots in an NFL like system...

thomas35forever
02-26-2010, 10:57 PM
*sigh* Only 37 days until Opening Day.

Brian26
02-26-2010, 11:03 PM
I have a headache after reading Rosenthal's column.

TDog
02-26-2010, 11:10 PM
There is no reason to put teams that share a market with another in the same league (i.e., Sox and Cubs in NL). Mr. Rosenthal, if you are reading this, NO and HELL NO.

There are reasons that some people would call good reasons to put teams from the same market in the same league. It would heighten rivalries and reduce travel time. As intense as the current Dodgers-Giants rivalry is, I have been told it doesn't compare to the old days when the teams were in Brooklyn and New York.

People who make silly comparisons between baseball and other sports would point out that other sports have teams from the same market in the same divisions. Having teams from the same market in different leagues only makes sense if you consider, as I do, the American and National Leagues to truly be separate leagues.

This realignment suggestion, as are most realignment suggestions, is, of course, ridiculous and, really, not worth getting upset about.

LITTLE NELL
02-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Somehow MLB and the players union must get together and institute salary caps, that will help solve the imbalance that exists between the haves and the have-nots and there would not be any need for realignment. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't MLB the only pro organization that does not have salary caps.

Madscout
02-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Somehow MLB and the players union must get together and institute salary caps, that will help solve the imbalance that exists between the haves and the have-nots and there would not be any need for realignment. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't MLB the only pro organization that does not have salary caps.
If not straight out salary caps, make it such that rookies don't expect giant paydays. I know, from listening to some Bucco talk out here, that people know, and expect, the bucs not to take who they really want or need in the draft simply because they know the bucs can't pay those rookies that bonus that they want. Make it a real draft, with all eligable players going through. If you want to come to the MLB, and you are under a certain age (lets say 23), you go through this draft and what ever team gets you, you sign with, or you don't play until you are well passed the previously mentioned age (lets say 26).

tick53
02-27-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a headache after reading Rosenthal's column.

You too, huh?

fram40
02-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Do we really need to INCREASE the odds the Yankees and Red Sox making the playoffs? What a Dumb ass!!

From a national media viewpoint - Yes! I suspect that will be the goal of any and all realignment proposals that have any chance at all.

Whether realistic or not, I kind of like JohnTucker's idea.

JohnTucker0814
02-27-2010, 01:12 PM
From a national media viewpoint - Yes! I suspect that will be the goal of any and all realignment proposals that have any chance at all.

Whether realistic or not, I kind of like JohnTucker's idea.

I expanded on my idea on my blog. I expanded it a little bit, made it a bit more confusing... but if you want to check it out... Centerfield Blog (http://tucksfantasyleague.com/centerfieldblog/)

fram40
02-27-2010, 01:27 PM
I expanded on my idea on my blog. I expanded it a little bit, made it a bit more confusing... but if you want to check it out... Centerfield Blog (http://tucksfantasyleague.com/centerfieldblog/)

I love confusion!

Tragg
02-27-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't think his "modest" realignment is so bad.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Are they trying to burn Chicago down? I couldn't even imagine the Sox and Cubs in the same division. And what the hell would you do with the DH with all the AL clubs going into the NL? That is way too drastic of a move.

downstairs
02-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Tampa Bay went to the World Series in 2008. The Yankees and/or Red Sox will be terrible again one of these decades.

FloridaTigers
02-28-2010, 02:23 AM
How about just ditching interleague play?

Nellie_Fox
02-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

FloridaTigers
02-28-2010, 03:15 AM
I mean, I feel interleague has cheapened everything. The All-Star game, and the World Series. When an AL team played the NL team, it really meant something. The AL champs only faced AL teams, they were without a doubt the best of the best. Now you have all these outside factors, teams facing teams from outside the league that their competition won't face, making for really unbalanced schedules. The All-Star game really takes a hit with interleague now.

Soxfanspcu11
02-28-2010, 03:30 PM

LOL, your kidding right??

No matter how you feel about Interleague play, the bottom line is $$$. The Interleague games are the most popular games of the regular season (other than intense inter-division rivalries).

They bring in the dough for MLB. Selig would probably eliminate say Sox/Kansas City games before he got rid of Sox/scrubs. Just saying, from a financial standpoint, it's not going to happen.

SephClone89
02-28-2010, 03:32 PM
No matter how you feel about Interleague play, the bottom line is $$$. The Interleague games are the most popular games of the regular season (other than intense inter-division rivalries).

You mean intra-division?

DumpJerry
02-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, that annual White Sox/Pirates series is what keeps MLB out of bankruptcy.....

fox23
02-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah, that annual White Sox/Pirates series is what keeps MLB out of bankruptcy.....

As opposed to those thrilling Sox/A's or Sox/Blue Jays series? I know what you're saying, but even the worst interleague matchup is no worse from an attendance and money standpoint than some of the AL only contests.

Soxfanspcu11
02-28-2010, 05:24 PM
You mean intra-division?

Yes, yes I do. :thumbsup:

FarmerAndy
03-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I am well aware that it would never happen, so don't bother explaining it to me. But as far as integrity of the game (instead of $$$ or inventing excitement for fans in this world of rapidly decreasing attention spans) I think the best format would be to simply eliminate divisions. Have a balanced schedule, no interleague play, and the top 4 teams from each league make the post season. I know it's a crazy idea, to actually have the best teams play in the post-season rather than 83 win "champs" from weak divisions. But hey, I'd love to see it.

I know most people would argue that it would take away the excitement of division races. But if you think there wouldn't be one big race to nab those 3rd and 4th spots, you're wrong. It would be a great race.

I know a majority of folks would hate this idea. And these are the same people who think there is more merit in being a mediocre division champ than being a 93 win wild card team, because they somehow believe that some arbitrary title based on lines drawn in the sand actually has value. (It's crap.) How awsome was the battle for the NL West in 2008? When the Dodgers and the D'backs went down to the wire, and the Dodgers prevailed and hoisted the division crown with an 84-78 record, which was the 8th best record in the National League. Yeah, that was great.

I know my pipe dreams will never come true. So I pray for baseball to stay the way it is now. If I can't have it perfect, I'd at least prefer that they don't screw it up any more.

illinibk
03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
So why would the other MLB owners actually vote to separate Boston and NYY? I can see why the AL East would vote for it, but why would the 25 other owners actually think it's a good idea. Of course I'm assuming that owners are actually trying to win and not just pocketing revenue sharing money (big assumption).

I'm just not sure how separating Boston and NYY increases interest in the game. I'm sure the fans in the 12 other American League cities will quickly get sick of the Boston vs NYY ALCS every year.

sox1970
03-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I am well aware that it would never happen, so don't bother explaining it to me. But as far as integrity of the game (instead of $$$ or inventing excitement for fans in this world of rapidly decreasing attention spans) I think the best format would be to simply eliminate divisions. Have a balanced schedule, no interleague play, and the top 4 teams from each league make the post season. I know it's a crazy idea, to actually have the best teams play in the post-season rather than 83 win "champs" from weak divisions. But hey, I'd love to see it.

I know most people would argue that it would take away the excitement of division races. But if you think there wouldn't be one big race to nab those 3rd and 4th spots, you're wrong. It would be a great race.

I know a majority of folks would hate this idea. And these are the same people who think there is more merit in being a mediocre division champ than being a 93 win wild card team, because they somehow believe that some arbitrary title based on lines drawn in the sand actually has value. (It's crap.) How awsome was the battle for the NL West in 2008? When the Dodgers and the D'backs went down to the wire, and the Dodgers prevailed and hoisted the division crown with an 84-78 record, which was the 8th best record in the National League. Yeah, that was great.

I know my pipe dreams will never come true. So I pray for baseball to stay the way it is now. If I can't have it perfect, I'd at least prefer that they don't screw it up any more.

I've proposed the no divisions/balanced schedule thing many times, and I think it would be great. It would definitely help the Blue Jays, Rays, and Orioles, since they would just have to be one of the top four teams. The one thing that would be a tough sell is that it's real hard to put a team in a position to come in 13th or 14th place in a given year. Keeping it to 4-6 team divisions makes it seem more possible to make the playoffs when you're only competing with a handful of teams. But really, if you're bad, you're bad.

FarmerAndy
03-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I've proposed the no divisions/balanced schedule thing many times, and I think it would be great. It would definitely help the Blue Jays, Rays, and Orioles, since they would just have to be one of the top four teams. The one thing that would be a tough sell is that it's real hard to put a team in a position to come in 13th or 14th place in a given year. Keeping it to 4-6 team divisions makes it seem more possible to make the playoffs when you're only competing with a handful of teams. But really, if you're bad, you're bad.

Amen. Teams that are sometimes good (like the ones you mentioned in the AL East) would have a legit shot, rather than being doomed because they are in a division with the Yanks and Red Sox. Anybody who is truly good would have a shot at the post-season.

And yeah, people would hate the idea of there being a 13th or 14th place. But in reality it's all the same. The idea that the current Pirates, Royals, ect. have a better shot in a 5 or 6 team division is just an illusion. In reality, you're still in 13th or 14th place.

I just like the idea that it would be balanced and fair. Everybody in the league would have the same competition, and the best teams make it in the end. No really good team gets screwed because they were in a great division, and no crappy team with a win total in the low 80's makes it because they were in a bad division. In my mind, it's as close to perfect as you can get.