PDA

View Full Version : A former Cub fan sees the light -- sort of

MarqSox
08-05-2001, 10:41 AM
This comes from a good friend of mine who recently disowned the Flubs for their idiocy. He became a Cardinal fan, which isn't great, but it's a huge improvement from where he was. It just goes to show, it is possible for Flub fools to realize how stupid they are.

A Defection: A story of an ex-Cub fan gone Red
by Tom

I had been a die hard Cub fan as long as I can remember. Harry Carey long entertained me on WGN, and Steve Stone was the most brilliant baseball mind in the world if you asked me.

The Cubs won the NL wild card in 1998 on the strength of mediocre pitching and an MVP season from Sammy Sosa. I was hooked. Heading into Game Three of the NLDS at Wrigley Field against Atlanta, though, something changed.

A WGN reporter was interviewing fans outside the bleachers. "What do you think of the Cubs chances, facing a sweep tonight?" The fan responded, "Let's go let's go we got Sammy!!!" A seed was planted...I realized that Cub fans are morons.

Two consecutive season of last place finishes made me realize that the Cubs are not a fan-centered organization. With zero-farm system, no pitching, and 4 (yes I said 4) above .500 finishes in the last 35 years, I knew I was following a loser.

What sealed the deal? An off season trade with Oakland for Matt Stairs. The cost to Chicago? ANOTHER AAA pitching prospect.

That sealed it. The Cubs needed to fill the Mark Grace gap, but rather than gut a team shelling out $13 million
to a man who feels he personifies the spirit of Roberto Clemente, they'd spend it on a guy who belongs as a trucker in Matt Stairs. (No offense to any truckers out there, but look at the man!)

Daver
08-05-2001, 10:44 AM
Matt Stairs does look like a human stump doesn't he.

Jerry_Manuel
08-05-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by daver
Matt Stairs does look like a human stump doesn't he.

West likens him to a human keg of beer.

NUCatsFan
08-05-2001, 01:02 PM
:XL

Did someone say beer?

Mathew
08-05-2001, 01:05 PM
I love the look on Well's face in that mug shot. Some of the player's pictures here are priceless. Sean Lowe looks like the guy from Beverly hills cop.