PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle hints at retirement (again)

DumpJerry
02-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Says he might walk away from the game at the end (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/buehrle-might-walk-away-in-a-couple-years.html) of his current contract. Wants to be there for his kids.

Of course this was said while he was being interviewed by Dave Kaplan. If I were a Sox player being interviewed by that Cub tool, I'd want to walk away from the game, too.

g0g0
02-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Well, we have 2 years to win another WS then.

Hitmen77
02-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Buehrle said the same thing in a phone interview on MLB Network about a month ago.

BRDSR
02-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Buerhle has been very consistent about not wanting to play all that long, which has always been a bummer to me because he is the type of pitcher that could pitch 20 years, rack up a ton of wins, and maybe make the Hall. Although, looking at his career stats, I see he's only got 135 wins to date, so he probably couldn't get in even with another 7-8 seasons. I actually thought he had more than 150.

Anyway, I wish he was planning to play longer.

cws05champ
02-25-2010, 08:05 AM
He is setting the stage for him to leave for the Cardinals in two years so he can be at home for at least half the season. I wouldn't begrudge him for wanting to play at home and for his favorite team growing up. He has been nothing but class and fun to watch his whole career.

veeter
02-25-2010, 08:06 AM
The same qualities that have contributed to Mark's greatness as a pitcher, teammate, and all-around guy, are the same qualities that make his walking away at a young age, seem probable. He's just a humble guy. We'll cross that bridge then, though.

veeter
02-25-2010, 08:07 AM
He is setting the stage for him to leave for the Cardinals in two years so he can be at home for at least half the season. I wouldn't begrudge him for wanting to play at home and for his favorite team growing up. He has been nothing but class and fun to watch his whole career.This I could see happening.

spawn
02-25-2010, 08:10 AM
The same qualities that have contributed to Mark's greatness as a pitcher, teammate, and all-around guy, are the same qualities that make his walking away at a young age, seem probable. He's just a humble guy. We'll cross that bridge then, though.
Exactly. I wouldn't be mad at him if he were to leave to spend time with his family. That tells me he knows where his priorities are.

DumpJerry
02-25-2010, 08:14 AM
:KW
Look, I cannot comment on the rumors we're trying to sign Mark's wife and kids to player contracts. Cannot comment.

Bobby Thigpen
02-25-2010, 08:31 AM
He is setting the stage for him to leave for the Cardinals in two years so he can be at home for at least half the season. I wouldn't begrudge him for wanting to play at home and for his favorite team growing up. He has been nothing but class and fun to watch his whole career.
I don't know that I would begrudge him, but I don't know that I'd be ecstatic about it.

He's one of about only 2 or 3 guys I'd like to see as lifelong Sox.

Rocky Soprano
02-25-2010, 08:49 AM

Exactly. Very nicely put.

ewokpelts
02-25-2010, 09:01 AM
He's done pretty much everything a pitcher can do in the game. Sounds like he's not a stat hound or hungry for money.

I wouldnt be suprised if he's gone in 2 years. But I have a feeling he'll be here longer.

TheOldRoman
02-25-2010, 09:05 AM
He is setting the stage for him to leave for the Cardinals in two years so he can be at home for at least half the season. I wouldn't begrudge him for wanting to play at home and for his favorite team growing up. He has been nothing but class and fun to watch his whole career.I don't think so. They have a house in Missouri, but they live in the suburbs (Darien, I believe). His wife is from Chicago, too, so it won't be like they are both returning home. The Cardinals thing has always been overblown. He has said before that he loves the Cards and it would be a thrill to play for them someday. He has also said that he would be perfectly happy to play his entire career with the Sox.

I think that means that he will play with the Sox until his retirement. However, if that can't happen, and they eventually trade him or don't try to resign him, he would sign with the Cards at some point. For instance, if the Sox had traded him to Boston in 2007 he probably would have signed with the Cardinals in the offseason. Buehrle seems like a genuine guy, I don't think he has been scheming and plotting going to the Cards four years in advance. Furthermore, why would he have to explain himself to us?

ewokpelts
02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I don't think so. They have a house in Missouri, but they live in the suburbs (Darien, I believe). His wife is from Chicago, too, so it won't be like they are both returning home. The Cardinals thing has always been overblown. He has said before that he loves the Cards and it would be a thrill to play for them someday. He has also said that he would be perfectly happy to play his entire career with the Sox.

I think that means that he will play with the Sox until his retirement. However, if that can't happen, and they eventually trade him or don't try to resign him, he would sign with the Cards at some point. For instance, if the Sox had traded him to Boston in 2007 he probably would have signed with the Cardinals in the offseason. Buehrle seems like a genuine guy, I don't think he has been scheming and plotting going to the Cards four years in advance. Furthermore, why would he have to explain himself to us?the cardinal thing was more fear on our parts thet we'll losea good pitcher because managment was too cheap. that has proven to be false. and he's said that pitching at the asg last year scratched that itch.

MARTINMVP
02-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Someone I know saw him and his family shopping at the Homer Glen Hope Depot (I almost accidentally typed Builder Square) last offseason. A few people approached him and he was very nice from what this employee friend told me. It's refreshing to hear here these types of stories, when talking about someone who is successful.

slavko
02-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Buerhle has been very consistent about not wanting to play all that long, which has always been a bummer to me because he is the type of pitcher that could pitch 20 years, rack up a ton of wins, and maybe make the Hall. Although, looking at his career stats, I see he's only got 135 wins to date, so he probably couldn't get in even with another 7-8 seasons. I actually thought he had more than 150.

Anyway, I wish he was planning to play longer.

He's done pretty much everything a pitcher can do in the game. Sounds like he's not a stat hound or hungry for money.

I wouldnt be suprised if he's gone in 2 years. But I have a feeling he'll be here longer.

Everything he does seems bigger than it really is. Which is not his fault.

asindc
02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Everything he does seems bigger than it really is. Which is not his fault.

This.

Lip Man 1
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
We've heard this before and it's going to happen sooner or later (as it does with all great players). The Sox I'm sure are preparing for that day...until then enjoy having Mark around and hope he can win a lot more games.

Lip

hawkjt
02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
I think he still likes playing...and as the day to retire draws closer, he will remember that even if he delays retirement a few more years...if he hangs it up at 35, he still has like 65 years of retirement looming ahead...thats a lot of car-pooling(which I have no doubt he will love) hunting,and sitting around...I am not going to presume anything til it happens.

guillen4life13
02-25-2010, 12:08 PM
I think he still likes playing...and as the day to retire draws closer, he will remember that even if he delays retirement a few more years...if he hangs it up at 35, he still has like 65 years of retirement looming ahead...thats a lot of car-pooling(which I have no doubt he will love) hunting,and sitting around...I am not going to presume anything til it happens.

He has said every time that it's about watching his kids grow up and being there for them. He wants to be a good father above all else.

As Don Vito Corleone said to Johnny Fontaine, "If you aren't a good father, you aren't a man."

Zisk77
02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
We need to give him a Clemens-like deal where he doesn't need to go on road trips except for the day he is pitching.

DumpJerry
02-25-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't think so. They have a house in Missouri, but they live in the suburbs (Darien, I believe). His wife is from Chicago, too, so it won't be like they are both returning home.
I thought he and Jaime went to high school together.:shrug:

Sox
02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
So if and when Mark decides to retire is it a slam dunk that the Sox retire his number?

ewokpelts
02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
So if and when Mark decides to retire is it a slam dunk that the Sox retire his number?50-50 right now, but a few more good years, and yeah, they'll retire it. Maybe not as fast as they did frank post retirement, but within a few years.

TDog
02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
the cardinal thing was more fear on our parts thet we'll losea good pitcher because managment was too cheap. that has proven to be false. and he's said that pitching at the asg last year scratched that itch.

And, yet, every time Tim McCarver mentions his name, the former Cardinal catcher metions that Mark Buehrle says he wants to play for the Cardinals one day.

Bob Roarman
02-25-2010, 01:39 PM
So if and when Mark decides to retire is it a slam dunk that the Sox retire his number?

No doubt. Not even a question. Doesn't matter if his potential last two years here are mediocre or bad, his number is as good as retired already.

BRDSR
02-25-2010, 02:12 PM
We need to give him a Clemens-like deal where he doesn't need to go on road trips except for the day he is pitching.

Meh...Buerhle is one of my two favorite on the White Sox right now, and one of my five favorite White Sox players since I became a Sox fan almost 20 years ago. But the White Sox are my favorite team, and team trumps player. As much as I like Buerhle, I would not favor giving him special treatment. If that's what it takes to keep him around, I say let him retire or go elsewhere.

I would also be unbelievably surprised if Buerhle took a deal like that...I think it would make him very embarrassed.

TheOldRoman
02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I thought he and Jaime went to high school together.:shrug:I looked it up, my mistake. They went to the same high school but didn't know eachother then. I thought I remembered him saying his wife was from Chicago when he talked about her hating the Cubs.

thomas35forever
02-25-2010, 04:19 PM
He's the best-known pitcher from that '05 staff not to mention the two no-hitters including the perfect game, so I think the odds are pretty favorable for him. Look for Paulie's number to be retired first however.