PDA

View Full Version : Do you watch/listen to the Cubs?

SephClone89
02-22-2010, 10:39 PM
When the Sox aren't on, do you tune into the Cubs on the radio or on the TV to get your baseball fix? Let's assume there is no national game on, either. How many times a week do you have the Cubs game on?

GoGoCrede
02-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Honestly, I only watch them during the Crosstown Series and in the playoffs, because that's just pure comedy. Any other time, I don't care at all, unless something particularly funny is going on, like Bradley's gaffe last season, or something historical like a no-hitter. I think I'd rather do homework.

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I will if there is no other game on that interests me.

Rohan
02-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah... Baseball is baseball no matter who is playing it -- I'll be watching.

Sam Spade
02-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah, sometimes with friends who are cub fans I watch them. I can't stomach listening to ron santo however, so I'd never do that.

soxjim
02-22-2010, 11:31 PM
If the SOX aren't on, I'm either golfing or at a Rockford RiverHawks game.

JohnTucker0814
02-22-2010, 11:53 PM
While I prefer to always watch the Sox because there is a rooting interest, I'll watch ANY baseball game!

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2010, 11:59 PM
When the Sox aren't on, do you tune into the Cubs on the radio or on the TV to get your baseball fix? Let's assume there is no national game on, either. How many times a week do you have the Cubs game on?
I have MLB Extra Innings on cable. There are plenty of games for me to watch other than the Cubs.

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2010, 12:41 AM
I have MLB Extra Innings on cable. There are plenty of games for me to watch other than the Cubs.

I don't even have cable, so I spring at any chance to watch a baseball game I get. Hopefully I'll get a job soon though and that will change!

Nellie_Fox
02-23-2010, 12:54 AM
I don't even have cable, so I spring at any chance to watch a baseball game I get. Hopefully I'll get a job soon though and that will change!When I was first married, and had to watch the Sox on a 19" black & white TV, on UHF channels with a signal that most of the time had me guessing what was going on with those ghost-like people moving around through the electronic snow, I still didn't watch the Cubs.

VMSNS
02-23-2010, 12:55 AM
I watch a decent amount of Cub games. If they're on I'll probably tune in. Even though I hate them and their fan base, I like to keep up on them (for whatever reason). Plus it's baseball....can't really turn that down. I also find Len to be so bad at his job that it's practically comical entertainment.

Now, listening to the Lovable Losers on the radio is a much different story. That's a torture that I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy. I tried a few times, but I can't even make it past the 1st inning.

LITTLE NELL
02-23-2010, 04:18 AM
I watched them almost every afternoon back when WGN and Brickhouse did all their games. Never pulled for them and always rooted for the team they were playing. Those afternoon games were just an extension of Bozo's Circus.
Stopped watching them when Harry replaced Brickhouse, could not stand to watch and listen to Harry doing Cub games.

doublem23
02-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Yeah, if the Cubs are on, I'll sometimes watch. They always seem to be playing my 2nd favorite team. :cool:

Baseball > Just about everything else on TV

I don't listen to them on the radio, though. I'd rather have cigarettes put out on my testicles than listen to Ron Santo.

VenturaFan23
02-23-2010, 06:01 AM

Same here on DirecTV. The 8-game channel is always my preferred choice.

Zisk77
02-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Who?... Only watch Sox and then div. rivals to hope they lose.

WSox597
02-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Mostly when they're playing the Sox. Although, sometimes when I'm at my mother's house they're on since she is a Cub fan.

It's painful, but what can you do?

My family was split into both camps. One brother is a Cub fan, but actually works at Cellular Field. He gets much abuse while there. LOL

Other than that, I don't watch them unless like someone said, they make the playoffs. That's usually comedy gold, so I'll watch then.

g0g0
02-23-2010, 07:45 AM
No, I don't watch them. With so many other sports available now on cable and the internet, there usually isn't a time where I don't have anything else to watch.

aryzner
02-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Yep. Girlfriend is a Cubs fan. I really have no problem watching them - baseball is baseball.

russ99
02-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Yeah, if the Cubs are on, I'll sometimes watch. They always seem to be playing my 2nd favorite team. :cool:

+ 1.

To not watch the Cubs every once in a while is to miss out on comedy gold. Soriano's hops, Bradley's meltdowns, bullpen collapses - they find some really hilarious ways to lose. :D:

Plus, my second favorite team is in the NL, so I have rooting interest at times.

Sad
02-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah... Baseball is baseball no matter who is playing it -- I'll be watching.

+1

this is why I purchase Extra Innings every season...

doublem23
02-23-2010, 08:47 AM
+ 1.

To not watch the Cubs every once in a while is to miss out on comedy gold. Soriano's hops, Bradley's meltdowns, bullpen collapses - they find some really hilarious ways to lose. :D:

Oh yeah. I guess I should clarify, I don't really every throw the Cubs on to sit back and just watch, if I'm not doing anything else, I'll probably watch something on the DVR or throw in a movie, but if I need some good background noise while I'm cooking dinner, working in the living room, etc. then I'll keep the Cubs on.

Maybe one day I'll get Extra Innings and be able to watch whatever game I want to, but since I live in the city again, and I get all 161 televised Sox games on basic cable, I can't justify that expense. So I guess in that one small little way, I am extremely jealous of everyone who lives away from the Chicago area. :cool:

white sox bill
02-23-2010, 08:54 AM
I love White Sox baseball....I'm probably one of the few here who is actually glad when the season is over so I can get some things done that I should have done during the season but didn't. Hopefully this coming yr will close in late October for us.

But watching the other team...not much. Couldn't care less. IMO that's the ultimate rip on the Cubs. Not caring. Can't beat indifference.

dwalteroo
02-23-2010, 08:55 AM
I really don't enjoy watching the Cubs. If there's another baseball game on, I'd watch that, but for some reason I just don't like watching Cubs games.

Hitmen77
02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Nope. I have almost no interest in watching the Cubs. I don't follow them at all.

Vestigio
02-23-2010, 09:33 AM
I'll watch them if there is nothing on TV

soltrain21
02-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Yes, I watch them. I really like watching them play in the afternoon.

jabrch
02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I do. I don't hate them - As long as they aren't playing the Sox, I have no problem seeing the Cubs win games. I used to enjoy hearing Stone call games for them. I like Brenly. Pat Hughes is excellent. I can't stand Santo - but who can really?

DirtySox
02-23-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't like the Cubs, but I will watch them because I love baseball. I'm also a big Reds fan, so I always catch those match-ups.

Smokey Burg
02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I will have them on if there is nothing else on, as stated previously it is (a form of) baseball. I have decided to wean myself off of all things cub this year. I do however, particularily enjoy Santo on the radio. His precise description of the action is HOF worthy. When the play goes poorly his call is similar to "Oh no, oh no, oh no, awwwwwwww man! I can't believe it! Did you see that? You have to see it to believe it." Then either break for commercial or another announcer takes over.

Jerko
02-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I watch them if they are losing or if they're the only afternoon game on and I'm not at work. Other than that I flip around thru the extra innings channels for the best game.

Sox83Kid
02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
+ 1.

Plus, my second favorite team is in the NL, so I have rooting interest at times.

I also tune in to a Cubs game once in a while for some laughs. My Dad (a recovering Cub fan) always said that the Cubs turned losing into an art form. So, since I like art...:redneck

cheezheadsoxfan
02-23-2010, 05:51 PM
I also tune in to a Cubs game once in a while for some laughs. My Dad (a recovering Cub fan) always said that the Cubs turned losing into an art form. So, since I like art...:redneck

Same here. I'll watch when they play the Brewers since living up here I don't have to listen to Cub announcers. :smile:

LongLiveFisk
02-23-2010, 05:55 PM
I see and hear enough, due to my brother being a Cubs fan. I love watching baseball in general though, so it doesn't bother me all that much. As long as he doesn't watch them while the Sox are on another channel.

ChiSoxGirl
02-23-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't even have cable, so I spring at any chance to watch a baseball game I get. Hopefully I'll get a job soon though and that will change!

I don't have cable, either, so whenever there's a ballgame on WGN, WCIU, or FOX- Sox or Cubs- I'm watching it.

I don't listen to them on the radio, though. I'd rather have cigarettes put out on my testicles than listen to Ron Santo.

What a coincidence... me, too!!! :cool:

And OMG... :rolling: at the last part of your post!!!!

TDog
02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
I'll watch the Cubs if they're playing the Giants. The same could be said for every other team that plays the Giants.

Sockinchisox
02-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I do, it's a great luxury to have two baseball teams in a city. Even though im not fond of them, it's still baseball and it helps me see some of the great NL players.

chisoxfanatic
02-23-2010, 08:56 PM
I couldn't give two craps about the Cubs, so no. I have the Sox to watch on any channel they're on, plus games on Fox, ESPN, and the MLB Network.

oeo
02-23-2010, 10:03 PM
I enjoy watching whoever is playing the Cubs, but I'd never watch the Cubs.

BadBobbyJenks
02-23-2010, 10:12 PM
I love watching them fail, if there is a good matchup why not?

Don't tell anyone, but I go to Wrigley a few times a year when the Sox are not playing.

chisoxfanatic
02-23-2010, 10:18 PM
I love watching them fail, if there is a good matchup why not?

Don't tell anyone, but I go to Wrigley a few times a year when the Sox are not playing.
Do you burn your clothes afterwards?

Chez
02-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I watch parts of Cub games. I will flip on the Cubs to see them lose (I never watch a Cub game from the start). I enjoy watching them lose. If it looks like they are going to win, I'll turn it off. Other posters have told me in the past that I shouldn't care about the Cubs or that the Sox v. Cubs games are less important than games against the Royals etc. Sorry. That's not how I feel. I want the Cubs to lose. Often and spectacularly!

tick53
02-24-2010, 11:18 AM
I try not to. If the Sox are not on, I'll check their score to see if they're losing. If they are losing, it seems like as soon as I put them on and they are behind, they'll score some runs and start coming back. I can't grab my remote fast enough.

ewokpelts
02-24-2010, 12:57 PM
i dont go out of my way to watch them. but watching the cubs lets me watcha lot of nl teams that rarely play the sox.

MeteorsSox4367
02-24-2010, 05:40 PM

Yeah, Santo is that painful. Although I admit I do like Pat Hughes. Solid announcer and having met him once, seems like a nice guy.

As for those who have the Extra Innings package, it's excellent. Nothing like a summer night falling asleep watching the Giants or Angels playing a late game.

I love baseball. If I can watch parts of any game, I will.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-24-2010, 06:23 PM
If they are on before or right after the Sox... I can say I probably watch them more than most of my Cubs fan friends. Not saying I really pay attention, but they are on.

slavko
02-24-2010, 06:34 PM
I watch parts of Cub games. I will flip on the Cubs to see them lose (I never watch a Cub game from the start). I enjoy watching them lose. If it looks like they are going to win, I'll turn it off. Other posters have told me in the past that I shouldn't care about the Cubs or that the Sox v. Cubs games are less important than games against the Royals etc. Sorry. That's not how I feel. I want the Cubs to lose. Often and spectacularly!

Losing at Wrigley, shots of bored, disgruntled fans in the emptying stands, announcers trying to avoid talking about what's happening on the field. That's entertainment. But never from the start.

BadBobbyJenks
02-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Do you burn your clothes afterwards?

If someone lit a match next to me after I walked out of Wrigley, they would probably burn

MARTINMVP
02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
I will always love Pat Hughes, so I don't mind listening to the WGN Radio broadcasts at times. Ron Santo is bruto, but I don't turn on the Cubs anymore for serious baseball analysis so I guess I'm not missing much.

Nellie_Fox
02-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Ron Santo is bruto :scratch:

rwcescato
02-26-2010, 02:39 AM
I watch them when I'm waiting to go to work when they are on during day. but of course at a bar both team are usully on so i always get a good laugh.:D:

KnightSox
02-26-2010, 03:12 AM
If I am in the garage doing work, I'll turn on 720 to listen to Pat Hughes who I like. I then shake my head at Santos "contributions".

Viva Medias B's
02-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Really, it depends upon whom the Cubs are playing. If they are playing the Cardinals (my second favorite team), I'll be inclined to watch and hope for a victory by the Redbirds. Otherwise, I may put their game on my TV or radio for just a few minutes to see what they are doing.

As for Santo, I don't mind listening to him when things aren't going so well for the Cubs. Hearing Ronnie's emotions get the better of him can be entertaining.

Moses_Scurry
02-26-2010, 09:09 AM
I'll watch or listen to them in passing. I can only watch/listen when things are going badly for them (cublike).

I have to turn it off if somebody gets a go-ahead HR or something like that. It's just sickening to hear Santo cheer.

ewokpelts
02-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Really, it depends upon whom the Cubs are playing. If they are playing the Cardinals (my second favorite team), I'll be inclined to watch and hope for a victory by the Redbirds. Otherwise, I may put their game on my TV or radio for just a few minutes to see what they are doing.

As for Santo, I don't mind listening to him when things aren't going so well for the Cubs. Hearing Ronnie's emotions get the better of him can be entertaining.his blood curdling scream at the end of the 2008 NLDS was most hilarious.

beasly213
02-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I watch the Cubs. I love baseball. No matter who is on I love the game.

Soxcess
02-26-2010, 01:58 PM
I love watching the game of baseball. No matter who is on, I'll put on the game and watch it. Now, when I do watch games I'll see if there are any players that I like on either team and for those 9 innings take a rooting interest in one team. But if I'm watching a game the Sox aren't playing in and the Twins/Tigers/Indians/Royals/Cubs im most likely rooting against them.

One of my favorite days during the summer is a weekday when I'm off of work and can watch a baseball game in the afternoon (usually the Cubs during the day) wait a couple hours and then a Sox game is on. Ahh, nice lazy days. :D:

raven1
02-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Yes. I've heard all the reasons why people dislike or resent the Cubs (many of which are valid), but for me that sort of negativity not only deprives you of the entertainment of watching a wider range of teams/players but at some point can even detract from enjoying the Sox. Getting too emotionally invested in the Cubs failure is every bit as bad as irrationally expecting their success. Just enjoy the game for what it is.

This should have been posted as a poll, it would have been interesting to see the results. The approximately 50-50 split is more balanced than I expected, maybe just because the real Cub haters tend to be the most vocal on this site.

MarySwiss
02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Only when they're playing the Sox or D'Backs.

A. Cavatica
02-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Never.

Living outside Chicago, I have to seek out the Sox, but I don't have to worry about filtering out the Cubs.

Sargeant79
02-26-2010, 04:32 PM
I love baseball, so I'll watch them sometimes. But I'm no more or less likely to watch them than any other team. I will admit to taking a small bit of pleasure when they lose, however.

Chrisaway
02-26-2010, 04:48 PM
If it's the only game on yes I'm always up for a little comic relief.

rdwj
02-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Next to the Sox, I watch more Cub games than anything else. It's a nice ying / yang thing. I have one team I watch because I want them to win and another team I watch because I want them to lose.

johnnyg83
02-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Anybody watching MLB Network "Greatest Games" now? Cubs/Phillies 1979 23-22 game.

The picture quality is amazing.

I was 11. I remember watching this game. It's all my friends talked about the next day.

Some amazing old players: Schmidt, Bowa, Rose, Boone, Kingman, Buckner, Sutter, Mick Kelleher ....

wait, scratch Kelleher.

Looks like there're football lines or something on the field.

Medford Bobby
03-01-2010, 03:26 PM
You can only take so much Vanilla Len and Bob (I won't criticize any player or team because I might manage that organization some day) Brenly......:scratch:

Pat and Ron are good radio theater...always waiting for that "Brant Brown" moment to happen....:o:

I do miss the 70's Jack Brickhouse games and those late innings when you could hear the typewriters of the sports columnists clicking away in the background....:D: