PDA

View Full Version : McGwire and Pujols Talk Hitting

Brian26
02-22-2010, 10:18 PM
This is a pretty fascinating video. Who's teaching whom?

McGwire and Pujols talk hitting in the cage:

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/bird-land/bird-land/2010/02/watch-mvp-pujols-mcgwire-talk-hitting/

Jerko
02-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I was gonna say, did McLiar learn anything?

MARTINMVP
02-22-2010, 10:49 PM
This really was neat and fun to watch. Thank you for posting this.

soxinem1
02-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I wonder if Mac asked Pujols how he hits so well WITHOUT any juice???:scratch:

Twins_Morneau
02-23-2010, 05:26 AM

Haha good one, LaRussa made a dumb decision ringing him back.

WhiteSoxFTW
02-23-2010, 02:47 PM
I found it interesting when Pujols talks about liking to teach the other guys about things he has learned. I don't know much about him because I really don't follow the Cardinals, but that was a neat little view of him as a ballplayer. I could care less whether he is talking to McGwire or somebody else.

JohnTucker0814
02-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Steroids did nothing for McGwire's intelligence about hitting. 'Roids gave him the strength thats it. Don't come on here and act like McGwire can't be a good hitting instructor because he took steroids. Just because Mac didn't average .350 doesn't mean he doesn't know how to instruct. I think everything Pujols was saying, he was saying as a reminder to McGwire that they think alike regarding hitting. Did you hear Pujols say to Mac that they have the same approach?

It was really cool to get a "behind the scenes" look at one of the best hitters in the game.

white sox bill
02-23-2010, 03:23 PM
I always though Mark would make a great hitting coach. Wish Walk was that good.

tstrike2000
02-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Nice find, it's always fun to hear one of the best hitters in baseball share hitting approaches.

Nellie_Fox
02-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I always though Mark would make a great hitting coach. Wish Walk was that good.So you're comparing Walker to how good you think McGwire is going to be? Might it not be advisable to wait for results?

oeo
02-23-2010, 04:56 PM

I thought McGwire seemed uncomfortable during the entire conversation. :dunno: This wasn't the two discussing hitting, it was Pujols talking about hitting.

white sox bill
02-23-2010, 04:57 PM
So you're comparing Walker to how good you think McGwire is going to be? Might it not be advisable to wait for results?
Absolutely....isn't that what any team does? Hell a lot of people thought Ted Williams would have made a great manager.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Walk. He can marry my Sister anytime. He's welcome over for a beer. Is there any better hitting instructors? Debatable...Mark seems like he's got the personality, he's a people person and for the most part, a good communicator.

But yes, its nice to see him and Albert talking. Great vid!!

spawn
02-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Mark seems like he's got the personality, he's a people person and for the most part, a good communicator.

Walker seems to have the same traits, but most people think it hasn't translated on the field. So, why is McGwire different? He's hasn't proven a thing yet as far as being a good hitting coach. :shrug:

white sox bill
02-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Walker seems to have the same traits, but most people think it hasn't translated on the field. So, why is McGwire different? He's hasn't proven a thing yet as far as being a good hitting coach. :shrug:

True, but I'll wait until end of season to grade his report card.

spawn
02-23-2010, 05:29 PM
True, but I'll wait until end of season to grade his report card.

:scratch: But aren't you already comparing him to Walker?

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Having a lineup built around Pujols and Holliday will make McGwire a "good" hitting coach.

white sox bill
02-23-2010, 05:49 PM
:scratch: But aren't you already comparing him to Walker?

Yes Spawn I was...my bad. Good catch. I just showed my frustration with our lack of situational hitting from last yr.

At any rate, its just a hunch that Mark will pan out. My hunch was that the Saints would beat the Colts....then again I "hunched" the Vikes would be the Saints.

This would be a good convo for Post season.

Mohoney
02-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Pujols is juiced. He's just better at covering his tracks.

He's asking McGwire how better to avoid getting caught.

spawn
02-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Pujols is juiced. He's just better at covering his tracks.

And I suppose you have proof to back this up?